Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

NiamhL, Is your BMI under 30 and over 18 at 5'6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Where are the reserves stationed? is it generally within a certain distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NiamhL

funkyflea wrote: »
    NiamhL, Is your BMI under 30 and over 18 at 5'6?

Hi funky flea. I would be slightly over at 5'6 but just under at 5'7 just wanted to know do they do it feet and inches or centimeters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

miss5 wrote: »
    Where are the reserves stationed? is it generally within a certain distance?

yes you will b stationed in a district close to you but not ur local district hq if you follow me as in you will not be allowed work in your on area for certain reasons.

da__flash wrote: »
    yes you will b stationed in a district close to you but not ur local district hq if you follow me as in you will not be allowed work in your on area for certain reasons.
    thanks, my district hq would be about 15km from where i live.
    How do the full time gardai feel about the reserves?

• Advertisement

NiamhL wrote: »
    Hi All

I have just sent in my declaration of interest form, and am a bit worried about the medical (should I reach that point) Do they do the bmi height test in feet or cm. I am 5.67 in feet or 173 in cm it would make a big difference to me if they put me as 5.6.

Many thanks:confused:
    Hi, NiamhL
    don't know if this helps but if your sure
    your 173cm then that would be converted as 5'8'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jack O'Neill

NiamhL wrote: »
    Hi funky flea. I would be slightly over at 5'6 but just under at 5'7 just wanted to know do they do it feet and inches or centimeters?

see link for Metric & Imperial BMI calculator - as long as you use feet with lbs and cm with kg you can't go wrong...

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/metric-bmi-calculator.php

BMI Classification

18.5 or less Underweight
    18.5 to 24.99 Normal Weight
    25 to 29.99 Overweight
    30 to 34.99 Obesity (Class 1)
    35 to 39.99 Obesity (Class 2)
    40 or greater Morbid Obesity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NiamhL

see link for Metric & Imperial BMI calculator - as long as you use feet with lbs and cm with kg you can't go wrong...

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/metric-bmi-calculator.php

BMI Classification

18.5 or less Underweight
    18.5 to 24.99 Normal Weight
    25 to 29.99 Overweight
    30 to 34.99 Obesity (Class 1)
    35 to 39.99 Obesity (Class 2)
    40 or greater Morbid Obesity

Fantastic thanks a million. I should be fine then :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Anyone heard any confirmations or even a rumour about a date for intake in Feb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xxxLauraxxx

Does the doctor tell you the bmi has to be 30 or under

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 renegadegav

anyone here from intake 4 of 2009.. Have any of you got your stab vests yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Hey guys havnt been on in ages... any updates???? we all still waiting on replies from the form br's?? or is that just me lol :)

Hey guys havnt been on in ages... any updates???? we all still waiting on replies from the form br's?? or is that just me lol :)

Most still waiting unfortunately, my BR is finished and grand, just waiting on the Super interview and medical now, getting anxious to get the Super interview completed soon to maximise chance of getting into the Feb intake. If you havent called the vetting unit to see how the BR form is going Id recommend it, they were very helpful and friendly when I gave them a call.

Spartan09 wrote: »
    Most still waiting unfortunately, my BR is finished and grand, just waiting on the Super interview and medical now, getting anxious to get the Super interview completed soon to maximise chance of getting into the Feb intake. If you havent called the vetting unit to see how the BR form is going Id recommend it, they were very helpful and friendly when I gave them a call.

iv had all except medical and still waiting to hear bout the br form. whats the number??? what was your timeline???

iv had all except medical and still waiting to hear bout the br form. whats the number??? what was your timeline???

My guess would be that if you've had the super interview then your BR is fine, but not 100% on that, as far as I'm aware of the procedure the Super has the file and checks it over and makes a recommendation to HQ to proceed to medical. Not sure as to the number for the vetting unit but if you ring HQ they can transfer you to it. I would be very surprised if your BR isnt fine and completed if you've gotten this far.

I applied March 09, assessment and interview May 09, submitted BR June 09 (got left on a table in station), Sgt interview Dec 09. Next stage who knows

I applied March 09, assessment and interview May 09, submitted BR June 09 (got left on a table in station), Sgt interview Dec 09. Next stage who knows

well the next step mre then likely if i rememebr is your medical and if you pass that you will be called to go training and then the fun begins:pac:

My guess would be that if you've had the super interview then your BR is fine, but not 100% on that, as far as I'm aware of the procedure the Super has the file and checks it over and makes a recommendation to HQ to proceed to medical. Not sure as to the number for the vetting unit but if you ring HQ they can transfer you to it. I would be very surprised if your BR isnt fine and completed if you've gotten this far.

See the super had my form br in front of him during the interview so he sent them off for me after that, that was 5th June 09. I applied in Nov 08, interview/written March 09, local sgt interview May 09, super n br sent in June 09, not a peep since. I rang hq bout 2months ago, the girl said my form is still pending. so still in limbo dunno if i passed the background checks or not. From what im seeing on this people are usually taken in a year from their first interview, so fingers crossed for the next intake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Next intake first or second week of February.
    Intake 2/2010 end of March.

That's what I learned today from the GR office.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

hi everyone, i applied for the reserves there in nov and havent heard anything, just wondering if i should have heard anything by now or how long does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 russo

anyone here from intake 4 of 2009.. Have any of you got your stab vests yet?

hey ya got my vest ages ago whos dat? I was 4th intake 2009 reserve. Karl. where you from the country? or a dub?

• Advertisement

jenny81 wrote: »
    hi everyone, i applied for the reserves there in nov and havent heard anything, just wondering if i should have heard anything by now or how long does it take?

ya just give Publicjobs a ring and see have they recieved your appilcation... just to clear things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

hey, I just got a phone call regarding an initial interview for the GR. I have about a month to 'do my homework' for it. I am 19 since June and feel that this might go against me. Is there anybody in the GR who are around my age/ know of anybody as I feel like i may be at a disadvantage? Also, how formal/informal is the initial interview. What to wear? ( I am a guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is anyone else getting a bit browned off with the length of time waiting for a medical

collig2 wrote: »
    hey, I just got a phone call regarding an initial interview for the GR. I have about a month to 'do my homework' for it. I am 19 since June and feel that this might go against me. Is there anybody in the GR who are around my age/ know of anybody as I feel like i may be at a disadvantage? Also, how formal/informal is the initial interview. What to wear? ( I am a guy)

no this will not go against you at all because i did my interview when i was 18 and i passed it and i had just turned 19 when i got the call to hear if i passed it so was a month waiting to hear... the age will not hender you in anyway in my experince if anything the youth is a good thing i find...i feel its an advantage if anything to be honest and i have the whole process of training and everything done..

billyhead wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting a bit browned off with the length of time waiting for a medical

the joys of it are fantastic :D as they say pull up a chair and get ready ta do some more waiting apperently paitence is a fine art:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 man dinga

i'm waiting for my medical too for the reserve. has anyone had a meeting with the super yet?? did anyone go for interview in november dublin city cente?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey! Does anyone know if the Commissioner rejected anyone and changed his mind when they appealed?:confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Hey! Does anyone know if the Commissioner rejected anyone and changed his mind when they appealed?:confused:

Thanks

@Tommy, don't know myself but every case will be different anyway, so it will be impossible to draw a comparison with your own individual situation.

Don't know what I'd do if I were you but, a favourable written caracter reference from someone of stature in your community might be of some help with your appeal, someone like a member of the clergy or school principal etcthat would be regarded highly be the local Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

lehanemore wrote: »
    @Tommy, don't know myself but every case will be different anyway, so it will be impossible to draw a comparison with your own individual situation.

Don't know what I'd do if I were you but, a favourable written caracter reference from someone of stature in your community might be of some help with your appeal, someone like a member of the clergy or school principal etcthat would be regarded highly be the local Super.

Thanks for the reply.... I formally appealed... Ill be honest... It was because of my brother I was rejected. He got into minor incidents as far as i know.. Im a member of the Civil Defence so I have a reference included from the Civil Defence Office and the Sub Fire Officer of the fire service so im hoping.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Thanks for the reply.... I formally appealed... Ill be honest... It was because of my brother I was rejected. He got into minor incidents as far as i know.. Im a member of the Civil Defence so I have a reference included from the Civil Defence Office and the Sub Fire Officer of the fire service so im hoping.....

on the ball so Tommy.:cool:

Advertisement