Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Got a call earlier from the Superintendent of my district asking me to meet an Inspector on Saturday :D Looking forward to this, are these tougher/scarier than the Sgt interviews anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

no this is just an informal chat nothing to stressful now i have to say.. just wear smart casual when your going to meet him/her:D

Just back from the interview; went great and the Inspector said he'd be reccommending my application. Now all I have to do is pass the BR/medical :D

Don't think the desk Guards were too impressed with my age lol :P

As reported here it was fairly informal, took place in an interview room (!) and himself was very friendly, offering lots of advice the main thrust of which was aimed at full-time recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

sdonn wrote: »

Don't think the desk Guards were too impressed with my age lol :P

how come?

lehanemore wrote: »
    how come?

Well one was fairly chatty but the others seemed a bit bemused - maybe I read it wrong I was fairly nervous after all!

• Advertisement

Well one was fairly chatty but the others seemed a bit bemused - maybe I read it wrong I was fairly nervous after all!

what I meant was, how come they were not too impressed with your age?:)

are you over the (current) age for recruitment to the full-time?

Other end of the scale, 21. Sorry presumed people would chack my profile ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

hey funkyflea, if you dont have a lot of charity work ect done, it wont really matter, i didnt have any and it wasnt an issue, i passed. they will assess you on your motivations to join and your attitudes ect. just be your self. :)

haven't been on here in way too long!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Other end of the scale, 21. Sorry presumed people would chack my profile ;)

There's been a huge shift in the age profile of the Reserves since the recruitment ban, a lot of younger people are joining to get that extra help.
    Wouldn't consider 21 that young to join, sure I was 19 when I applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all back from templemore and it was excellent, have to say i loved the whole thing, very well run and enjoyable. 56 peolpe at it, everyone was very friendly, teachers were 1st rate, easy to talk to and made there points very well and easy to understand. cant rate it high enough. :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Interview tomorrow so do I need to know anything about law or acts or anything like that? (hope this question is not too specific)

I'm probably over thinking this a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

funkyflea wrote: »
    Interview tomorrow so do I need to know anything about law or acts or anything like that? (hope this question is not too specific)

I'm probably over thinking this a bit !

Relax there mate they wont be asking anything on law or acts:D

Focus on the three points,on your application.
    also why you want to be a GR,what can you bring to the GR etc,

you ll be grand once your confident on the three points;)

rookie09 wrote: »
    Relax there mate they wont be asking anything on law or acts:D

Focus on the three points,on your application.
    also why you want to be a GR,what can you bring to the GR etc,

you ll be grand once your confident on the three points;)

Grand.. thanks. I'll go over my application again and the written exam and I should be ok. Just want to get it right.

Well I had my interview and exam today.

I wasn't sure if I did well or not.

On the other hand, there were people from other counties, like cork going for the interviews in wexford today. The written exam was great I thought, won't go into detail but I found it quite straightforward and I completed it in the 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Got a call today to arrange the medical. Result!

Happiness_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DarrenGT4

i done my interview and exam on the 17th of november.
    Im just wondering how long does it take for them to contact you in relation to your application. Do they contact you by e-mail or phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

hey darrentg4 it takes 2 weeks and i recived a litter

well done egoshea where are you from???? is there any1 here that had there interview in the cork /kerry region in july 09 ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

chippy12 wrote: »
    well done egoshea where are you from???? is there any1 here that had there interview in the cork /kerry region in july 09 ????

Hi chippy, yea I did the interview on the 30th of June in Killarney, got call today to confirm the level of my releationship with certain family members, was hoping this wouldn't happen! Could be all over!

hey dk47 im sorry to hear that hope it works out for you .i did mine down there to on the 1st of july????? im due my medical next so hopefully fingers crossed ill get it soon cause iv been told theres an intake feb 2010.

• Advertisement

chippy12 wrote: »
    Thanks chippy. I did my interview in Kerry around then too - the Malton. From Cork myself. You?

Sorry to hear about that, DK47. Maybe they're just checking through things though. Chin up.

Did anyone else find the interview difficult?

I'm 99% sure I won't have passed it, wonder how long it'll be before I get word?

P.S., Well done egoshea!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the interview difficult?

I'm 99% sure I won't have passed it, wonder how long it'll be before I get word?

P.S., Well done egoshea!

Arranged the actual date today for the medical exam (in december). I didn't realise that ALL medical exams are conducted in Dublin - that's another day off I'll have to take. :)

Also, the person I was speaking with confirmed that the next intake is in February. So only two months to go.

hey Egoshea . ya id mine down there too and im from cork city .looks like ull be in buy feb so all going well ??? i rang today to c where i stand on the ladder they couldnt tell me much so wouldnt say ill b there in feb . waiting on a medical date myself its takeing ages.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Arranged the actual date today for the medical exam (in december). I didn't realise that ALL medical exams are conducted in Dublin - that's another day off I'll have to take. :)

Also, the person I was speaking with confirmed that the next intake is in February. So only two months to go.

be prepared for more of the same, the majority of the training is on thursdays and fridays now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

Does anyone know the type of numbers that pass the interview stage ?

ie. if you pass the interview and written test part are you in with a ecent shot of making the reserves?

Thanks

Trap

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Had my Sgts interview yesterday, was absolutely grand, very informal, just a quick chat really to see who you are, said background checks were complete and were fine, will have Inspector / Supers interview very soon too, really delighted, only medical then and all go, cant wait, fingers crossed for February.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Well done EOSHEA!

I hope my application will start moving along aswell, I'm from Killarney are aswell, I applied in 2007, Passed everything, Sent off Gr2 in Late Feb/ Start of March 08 and waiting on background checks & Medical since! Hope i get the call for Medical soon :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hello folks
    congrats egoshea :)
    a detective called out to the house jsut to have a chat have to say very nice guy i assume he just wanted to know what kinda guy i was he said everythings going fine :) just wondering is this normal procedure? anybody else experienced this?
    and also does anybody know what jobs might disqualify you?

• Advertisement

hello folks
    congrats egoshea :)
    a detective called out to the house jsut to have a chat have to say very nice guy i assume he just wanted to know what kinda guy i was he said everythings going fine :) just wondering is this normal procedure? anybody else experienced this?
    and also does anybody know what jobs might disqualify you?
    Thanks for that, Eliezer Powerful Signal. i've never heard of a detective calling out to someone's house like that but it sounds like it went fine. Below are the exclusion criteria from the GR Notes for Candidates:

Recruitment of reserve trainees - restrictions on admission to training.

(1) Notwithstanding that the requirements of Regulation 4 are met, a person may not be recruited for admission as a reserve trainee if the person-
    (a) holds a designated certificate, licence or permit, (which is issued by the District Court, Circuit Court, Garda Siochana or Revenue Commissioners and that involves gain to the holder, including any such certificate, licence or permit issued pursuant to – (i) the Licensing Acts 1833 to 2004, (ii) the Betting Acts 1931 and 1994, or (iii) any laws regulating places of public entertainment),
    (b) is a member of the Defence Forces,
    (c) is an officer of court,
    (d) is an officer of the probation and welfare service,
    (e) is a bailiff,
    (f) is a prison officer,
    (g) is a practising barrister or a practising solicitor,
    (h) for reward or personal gain, manages or conducts, or assists in the management or conducting of, a concern or premises which is required by law to be operated under a licence, permit or certificate, the grant of which may be opposed by the Garda Síochána,
    (i) provides a security service within the meaning of the Private Security Services Act 2004,
    (j) serves summonses as a spare time activity, or
    (k) is employed in any occupation or holds any appointment or position which, in the opinion of the Garda Commissioner, may cause a conflict of interest with the proper discharge of the duties of a reserve member.

Advertisement