Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I got 6.6 meters, that was mostly shuffling in my knees and a very nice face plant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it's fecking hard, and there is a hurdle after like 50 metres! Which you kinda have to hump outta the way, cos jumping is fecking impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

OMFG this guy can moon walk!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I managed -1.2 metres there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's no -3! God good times.

• Advertisement

My guy hurts....I don't think it is fair for me to carry on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Managed a hearty 1.2m before i faceplanted like smegmar:P my quop is not as co-ordinated as i'd like:(

Alother preseantation out of the way, business plan this time!

Also Govindas with raah and a friend after, but raah ruined teh meal by spilling water, my friend just couldn't continue after the onslaught! ;)

Time to leave teh library I think! raah wouldnt join us in teh postgrad roo after I described it.

You're entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location.
    The kind of place where there might be a monster or some sort of weird mirror.
    These are just examples... it could also be something much better.
    Prepare to enter The Scary Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Also Govindas with raah and a friend after, but raah ruined teh meal by spilling water, my friend just couldn't continue after the onslaught! ;)

I ruined christmas!

Anyway, I'm still farting from that govinda's. Tar's friend disgraced himself worse than that time Tar disgraced himself to a disgraceful extent.

I had a few forcks of his. Now the pressure in my stomach is forcing out such flatulations that you would never believe.... Well you probably would.

Oooh, you were there long, I left at 9. Was a relatively productive day so it was. Though the last hour was wasted fiddling around with something I coulda just looked up and then never working it out. Ooooh maths.

• Advertisement

You're entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location.
    The kind of place where there might be a monster or some sort of weird mirror.
    These are just examples... it could also be something much better.
    Prepare to enter The Scary Door.

Love that cartoon!!:D:D

raah! wrote: »
    I ruined christmas!

Anyway, I'm still farting from that govinda's. Tar's friend disgraced himself worse than that time Tar disgraced himself to a disgraceful extent.

I had a few forcks of his. Now the pressure in my stomach is forcing out such flatulations that you would never believe.... Well you probably would.

Oooh, you were there long, I left at 9. Was a relatively productive day so it was. Though the last hour was wasted fiddling around with something I coulda just looked up and then never working it out. Ooooh maths.

Yep, he couldnt eat much at all, and he only had breaffast, it defeated him!
    Me and raah bai had to dig into his delicious food.
    Ye, filled us up a bit all right!
    Love how you went from complaining about your portion size to unbearablly full.

I was in college til 10pm, ugh!
    I was trying to fix pesky java

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

4.7!
    he ran on his knees

(like all men should >_>)

Ah jesus...

I got that guy 16 metres! It was great.

maameeo wrote: »
    4.7!
    he ran on his knees

(like all men should >_>)
    Wo...

men? <_< >_> we shall see missy! We shall see...:D

you wont see much from your knee!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Veggie based question.

First of all, i'm not trying to offend anyway, as far as i'm concerned, to each their own.

Ok, so there are loads of reasons for going veggie, from simply disliking the taste or feel, the idea of eating flesh, to moral reasons (which in themselves split from animal welfare to ecological reasons)

So, due to the many reasons for becoming a veggie, the extent that people practise varies. An example of this would be non-meat animal products used in cheeses or jellies etc. It might not be a problem for one person, but would for another.

Ok, Recently I spoke about it to somebody and they put it in such a way that I was sort of stuck for words.

Basically, I said eating food cooked with meat as to them its the same as eating meat.
    Their point was that using different or the same utensils has no effect on the number of animals slaughtered/farmed/etc so basically becasue nothing is changed there is no reason for it and its just a choice. (they weren't criticising, just observing btw). I didn't have anything to say to this as obviously I don't know enough about the issue.

So is it just a choice, or is there a reason behind it?
    (I know its not strictly off-topic, so mods move if you wish, I jsut imagine its a little simple)

Mellor wrote: »
    Veggie based question.

First of all, i'm not trying to offend anyway, as far as i'm concerned, to each their own.

Ok, so there are loads of reasons for going veggie, from simply disliking the taste or feel, the idea of eating flesh, to moral reasons (which in themselves split from animal welfare to ecological reasons)

So, due to the many reasons for becoming a veggie, the extent that people practise varies. An example of this would be non-meat animal products used in cheeses or jellies etc. It might not be a problem for one person, but would for another.

Ok, Recently I spoke about it to somebody and they put it in such a way that I was sort of stuck for words.

Basically, I said eating food cooked with meat as to them its the same as eating meat.
    Their point was that using different or the same utensils has no effect on the number of animals slaughtered/farmed/etc so basically becasue nothing is changed there is no reason for it and its just a choice. (they weren't criticising, just observing btw). I didn't have anything to say to this as obviously I don't know enough about the issue.

So is it just a choice, or is there a reason behind it?
    (I know its not strictly off-topic, so mods move if you wish, I jsut imagine its a little simple)
    seamus wrote:
    As a vegetarian, my "goal" as it were is to ensure that nothing (or as little as is realistically possible) I do will lead to the death/consumption of more animals. I.E. that the net effect of my existence on the lives of animals is zilch.

So for example, McDonalds and their animal fat - if I eat the chips, then I consume a little of that fat which requires more of that fat (however little) to be produced, causing my actions to lead to more dead animals.
    This allows me, for example to eat the wedges in hell - although they're cooked in the same oil as the chicken dippers, my eating of those wedges doesn't require more animals to die - they won't have to cook more chicken dippers because I'm eating wedges.
    I would be the same as seamus here, whose post I nicked from another thread. It doesn't disgust me, nor do I feel the utensils use will have a negative impact on my health. However people are vegetarian and vegan for many reasons and I can see some saying they find it unsettling; the same as a lot of people would if the utensils had just been used on a person for example.

Another reason may be that they feel that any animal based product may have a negative impact on their health. I'm not sure of others reasons, just guessing.

I would be the same as seamus here, whose post I nicked from another thread. It doesn't disgust me, nor do I feel the utensils use will have a negative impact on my health. However people are vegetarian and vegan for many reasons and I can see some saying they find it unsettling; the same as a lot of people would if the utensils had just been used on a person for example.

Another reason may be that they feel that any animal based product may have a negative impact on their health. I'm not sure of others reasons, just guessing.

I thought of that post too!

Personally I wouldn't eat things cooked in the same oil/with the same utensils as meat for the same reasons I wouldn't eat something that was cooked with say, a dirty sneaker or a piece of poo (an extreme example I know). I've never eaten meat and I don't see it as food, all I can see it as is dead bodies. Everyone sets their own limits for their own reasons though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does Macca's use animal fat for its chips?
    I didn't know that.

The piece of poo argument actually did made sense. I wasn't thinking of veggies of that variety :D, ie those who see is as something physically distusting (and not just taste etc)

thanks

Tutor wanted for 14 year old technically competent boy learning Java
    programming for Christmas holidays abroad in Florida.
    Duration is for 2 weeks - 17 Dec '09 to 2 Jan '10 - for approximately 3
    hours per day of tutoring. Flights and accommodation will be paid for, with
    a contract rate of €1,000 for the 2 weeks. Activities available during free
    time include watersports and hiking.
    This would suit a post-graduate student or a student in their final 2 years.
    hmmm, tempting me!

Do it!

There's something suspicious about it though, why have someone from ireland? Why all the perks? Be careful over there :P

I missed a 6 hour lecture spree there, now I have to ask someone for the notes. That's almost the worst part of my life these days... asking people for notes. I should get to work now to make up for this day missed. On the up side I had time for tea in the morning, and I didn't have to spend any money. And I can listen to a whole playlist with some tea before I get to work. Today I was given shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭shinysiren

Do it!

There's something suspicious about it though, why have someone from ireland? Why all the perks? Be careful over there :P

I missed a 6 hour lecture spree there, now I have to ask someone for the notes. That's almost the worst part of my life these days... asking people for notes. I should get to work now to make up for this day missed. On the up side I had time for tea in the morning, and I didn't have to spend any money. And I can listen to a whole playlist with some tea before I get to work. Today I was given shoes.

Your posts brighten up my day. They're just full of all these lovely snippets of information about you.
    I'm writing this from a blanket-fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

The Irish Times has opened up it's digital archive for free for the next 2 weeks :)

I just checked the paper from my birthday, migratory birds were confused by the unseasonally warm weather!

It's here: http://www.irishtimes.com/150/

And they had sports news within the first three pages, mad...

can anybody find a higher res of this for my desktop? :)

1762628.jpg

shinysiren wrote: »
    Your posts brighten up my day. They're just full of all these lovely snippets of information about you.
    I'm writing this from a blanket-fort.

Oooh how nice! And here i thought it was strange to ramble on about the goings on of your daily life to a bunch of people who don't wanna hear it :P

That's from that song! That video had loaaaaaaaaaads of good pictures in it alright. In fact I really like this new wave of youtube mash up songs with nice pictures in the background. It's like an established thing, and there is no other genre with more picture sequence videoes, than these "mash ups". I Don't know if there's another word for that

hahah, i just watched the video a bit there. It's pretty gay (well, not "gay" but ... girly at least), this has been posted here before too, now I realise this. By tar I think

14years old?!!! learning Java!! wtf?!!

:rolleyes: hmmm maybe i should get Tar to tutor alicia? 7 is a good age to start Java me thinks!

im sleepies, tell me to go asleep (im already in bed!!)

maameeo wrote: »
    14years old?!!! learning Java!! wtf?!!

:rolleyes: hmmm maybe i should get Tar to tutor alicia? 7 is a good age to start Java me thinks!

im sleepies, tell me to go asleep (im already in bed!!)

I was teaching a 15 year old yesterday! So 14 won't be too far off.
    You area star for making em teh desktop. :D

• Advertisement

hello late night buddy, who only appears around 5am :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement