Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

It took me about a week to fill it out.tracking down refrences was the hardest.it was 13 october was hand in date

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

It took me about a week to fill it out.tracking down refrences was the hardest.it was 13 october was hand in date

Yeah thats what holding me up now,waiting on my ex boss to get back to me with a written reference:(

Thats not too bad three weeks after you handed in B.R form you have the sgt interview;) least the ball is rolling

are you in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I asked this of HQ during the course of a phone call and they said leaving it blank is fine.

Are your aunts and uncles sent out forms to fill in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Im still waiting on BR checks...... im just wondering why the checks can be done quicker when applying for the full time gardai... gettin well cheesed off at this stage :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

Hi guys,

I submitted my BR form in June and last week I was called into my local station because HR had sent back some enquiries. They wanted to know about some cousins who had been in trouble, do I have much contact with them etc.

Has anyone else had to do this? I'm not too worried about it as I don't have any contact with them but I was wondering does this mean my background checks are nearly finished? Or is that wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

DavidH82 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I submitted my BR form in June and last week I was called into my local station because HR had sent back some enquiries. They wanted to know about some cousins who had been in trouble, do I have much contact with them etc.

Has anyone else had to do this? I'm not too worried about it as I don't have any contact with them but I was wondering does this mean my background checks are nearly finished? Or is that wishful thinking?

I personally don't know about this as it has not happened to me. Could I ask you though, when you do find out the reasoning behind it that you briefly let us know here in the event another candidate happens to be in the same position sometime in the future.

does anyone see a problem of asking a parish priest for a reference for the br form

does anyone see a problem of asking a parish priest for a reference for the br form

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

I would reckon it would depend, he would have to know yourself & your family for a few years..

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I submitted mine in june too and havnt heard a thing.... why would your cousins have anything to do with it though, like in the forms we didnt have to put their names down... i didnt know they went that far into checking :eek: thats mad... but i suppose they just have to do it, i think its good that youve heard from them at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

I submitted mine in june too and havnt heard a thing.... why would your cousins have anything to do with it though, like in the forms we didnt have to put their names down... i didnt know they went that far into checking :eek: thats mad... but i suppose they just have to do it, i think its good that youve heard from them at all :)

I assume when they put my uncle's address into the system my cousins details came up too.

I suppose I should be happy that they are working on it, at least it's some sign of progress. If you haven't heard from them it must mean your checks are all going smoothly, no rogue cousins out there messing up your applicaton!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

they will check all your background!
    even rent a cop does this

I assume when they put my uncle's address into the system my cousins details came up too.

I suppose I should be happy that they are working on it, at least it's some sign of progress. If you haven't heard from them it must mean your checks are all going smoothly, no rogue cousins out there messing up your applicaton!

oh i wouldnt go as far as to say no rogue relatives but hey....at least there is no complications so far. Its good that you've heard from them, like you say its progress!! :)

mockler007 wrote: »
    they will check all your background!
    even rent a cop does this

rent a cop?? aaahhh!! tell me more :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

I submitted my BR check form on August 21st and I'm still waiting. Rang the reserve head office a couple of weeks ago for an update and they say it's still being processed... Looks like 2010 before any movement on this.

As regards interviews, all were grand. First exam and interview were duanting but if you are confident in your answers, you'll be fine.

The local interviews in the Garda station were very laid back affairs and they just check that you're not a dodgy character..

Anyone know when the reserve training is scheduled in the new Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

hey murphman ya theres an intake feb 2010 so im told

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hi I'm currently waiting on Background Checks for the G.R. I just have some advice for the people waiting on background checks,

If your waiting for a good while on background checks (1yr and 10months so far for me) just make sure and ring the Garda Reserve Office and let them know if any of your relitives addressess or circumstances changes because if you don't i believe this will delay your application. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Hi I'm currently waiting on Background Checks for the G.R. I just have some advice for the people waiting on background checks,

If your waiting for a good while on background checks (1yr and 10months so far for me) just make sure and ring the Garda Reserve Office and let them know if any of your relitives addressess or circumstances changes because if you don't i believe this will delay your application. :D;)

That's actually good advice. In my (limited) experience, different stations (or the processing of different applications) go different ways. In short, when in doubt, give the GR office a call because it's sometimes the kind of thing that will be pushed ahead if you give them a shout - you have nothing to lose. I gave my local station a call about something a while back and it turned out that, because they weren't that used to the whole reserve thing, they simply had forgotten to send things on. Check up on it if it's been really long. All the best to everyone in the different stages.

its been four weeks now since i spoke with the sergant nothing heard of since is that a good or bad thing?

also y is it that i handed my bf form into one station but wen i got the call to meet the seg it was in a different one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

also y is it that i handed my bf form into one station but wen i got the call to meet the seg it was in a different one?

Usually it's the one closest to your home address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

its been four weeks now since i spoke with the sergant nothing heard of since is that a good or bad thing?

I have the same issue barney i had my sergeant interview about 5-6 weeks ago although my local station is fairly busy im getting a bit worried theyve forgotten about me.
    my sergeant said the super would be in touch ina few weeks?
    how was your interview?

I felt she was very nice and basically went through my br form.how was yours?

yea went really well gave me some advice was a really nice guy..
    got a call tonight to meet my super in the morning hope it goes well :)
    whats the next step after you meet with your super?who is it upto wheter your in or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

whats the next step after you meet with your super?who is it upto wheter your in or not?
    (For me at least...) I had the interview with the super and he said during the interview itself that he'd be backing my application (i.e. that he'd be sending it back to HQ with a thumbs up). Got the call to arrange the medical within 2/3 weeks after that. Good luck with it.

You lucky sod fair play to ya. I hear the meetin with d super is along the lines of why you want to join. After that and your backround checks are complete it's the medical.did you ring anyone after the weeks of waiting to see if d forgot about you.and finally I tink it's up to the super to recommend you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I handed in my BR on September 21.
    Nothing happened for ages so I rang Phoenix Park; had sergeant interview at the end of November and super interview about a week later. I don't think people should worry unduly, things seem to be happening at a different pace in different stations. Now I'm hoping I'll get a call for a medical soon!

klong wrote: »
    I handed in my BR on September 21.
    Nothing happened for ages so I rang Phoenix Park; had sergeant interview at the end of November and super interview about a week later. I don't think people should worry unduly, things seem to be happening at a different pace in different stations. Now I'm hoping I'll get a call for a medical soon!

and how was the super interview?what was talked about?did he mention he would be recommending you?

He said he was recommending me, yes (but he said he wasn't recommending another candidate- so don't think the interview is a formality). He just asked a few questions about things on my BR form. He also wanted to know what my motivations for joining were (and leading on from that, did I always want to join the Gardaí), did I have any convictions, what was I up to at the moment. It was quite informal really, though I wore my suit and the next person also wore theirs.

klong wrote: »
    He said he was recommending me, yes (but he said he wasn't recommending another candidate). He just asked a few questions about things on my BR form. He also wanted to know what my motivations for joining were (and leading on from that, did I always want to join the Gardaí), did I have any convictions, what was I up to at the moment. It was quite informal really, though I wore my suit and the next person also wore theirs.

very good sounds very positive :)
    did he mention why he wouldnt be recommending the other candiadate?

• Advertisement

very good sounds very positive :)
    did he mention why he wouldnt be recommending the other candiadate?

No, and I wasn't going to ask! But obviously he considered whoever it was to be unsuitable.

Advertisement