Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time for a new campaign " She drives (into pothole) , He fixes puncture"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Nic'name wrote: »
    These arguments can be drawn out to another 100 pages but one fact we should all be agreeing on is the point that the ad is sexist and should be withdrawn.

Exactly. Can we keep this thread going in a straight line please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

What bugs me is the complete ignorance portrayed in the add-'he drives, she dies'-No she doesnt! Anyone can crash! Anyone can die in a crash! Sex has nothing to do with it! The only thing thats gonna come from this is increased insurance for us 'killers'!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..got a confirmation that my complaint's have been received by the various parties so far. Let's see how long before they respond properly.

Can I please get you to submit complaints a.s.a.p. to the following:

1. BCC
    2. ASAI
    3. RSA

The more, the merrier, and keep it civil folks. Let's keep our foot on the gas on this one folks.

Interestingly, 3 females killed on the roads in recent days. No males involved. QED, methinks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

...oh, and another thing: can ye post up the radio stations you've heard it on? I'll start:

RTE Radio 1

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Just checking in to see if any of the lads killed any female today? I didnt yet but there's hours left.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

It's always on today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

heard it on 2fm too.

you know the one that really gets me?

"Lady Star" cheap insurance just for women because they're 'safer' on the roads.

can you even IMAGINE the uproar there would be if it was any other group they were having a dig at other than men?

anyone for "white star" car insurance? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Just checking in to see if any of the lads killed any female today? I didnt yet but there's hours left.....

Nope, not one all weekend, even had two females in my car on Saturday night (neither of which was a girlfriend, theres a slight impossibility there) and they both made it out alive. Clearly I'm just a statistical anomaly there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

survey done years ago stated people born under the gemini sign were more prone to accidents , and anothers found it was people born on wednesdays , i am sure the rsa and yhe insurance companies could use this information somehow to their benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

And what is it now, that men, who have a woman as named driver on their insurance, suddenly drive a lot safer. Or what was the reason for the discount ?

/M

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Nope, not one all weekend, even had two females in my car on Saturday night (neither of which was a girlfriend, theres a slight impossibility there) and they both made it out alive. Clearly I'm just a statistical anomaly there...

Good to hear MYOB. Its always nice to know you havent killed anybody nevermind a woman. :pac:

I'd love to know how many women didnt get into a car this weekend because it was being driven by a man!!!!! ( if any at all )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Marlow wrote: »
    And what is it now, that men, who have a woman as named driver on their insurance, suddenly drive a lot safer. Or what was the reason for the discount ?

/M

Cause apparently,for that whole 5 percent of the time your missus will drive your car there is less chance of it being in a accident/claim made.

My missus is on my insurance,for one purpose only,to bring my premium down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I spotted a male driving a busload of nuns yesterday, I quickly pulled over
    and phoned the gardai - it's not everyday I spot an attempted mass murderer in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I am a male driver and haven't killed any females today again, yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

This will be the end of male taxi drivers

Funny how stats can be used. On a training course I did many years ago ( with a major manufacturer ) one of the statistics we were given was that the majority of women wont buy a car from another woman :pac: . Reason: Most women think that women dont know anything about cars ;)funny old world hey !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Saab Ed wrote:
    Funny how stats can be used.

Very true, I'm doing repeats at the moment including stats (I hate maths) and one of the sections is how to present stats in such a way so it supports your arguement as well as how to conduct/create surveys/questions to this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

I'm a female driver and I would never get into a car with a male that I didn't trust in the exact same way as I wouldn't get into a car with a female I don't trust. The ad is completely ridiculous they cannot generalise like that, they cannot discrimminate like that and they cannot say that the facts are true when they don't take into consideration the amount of women that don't drive. All my male friends are driving years and years and all my female friends are only beginning to drive now (22/23/24yo) which means that my male friends are clearly much better drivers as they are more experienced.

If any of my friends that are couples go somewhere the boy always drives. If I go somewhere with my brothers they drive even though I am perfectly able to drive myself it just automatically happens. If my parents go somewhere Dad drives, I've asked my friends it's the same in their houses. So if more men are driving and on the roads more often then of course they'll be involved in more accidents but for no reason other than they're there.

Outrageous ad, I've already lodged my complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

GreeBo wrote: »
    Surely you can see that it only logical to base your target on the people who are having the accidents rather than base it on the much, much smaller number of people who would be having more accidents if they were driving more?

I agree that men have more accidents than women on Irish roads, for a multitude of reasons but targeting one demographic and singling them out in some sort of witch-hunt is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

If the funds that were wasted in this campaign were used to train 1000 drivers on a skid pan or on the dangers of worn tyres it would undoubtedly have saved more lives.

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    This will be the end of male taxi drivers

Did you know, that the first thing, that german woman busdriver working for a new employer (irish bus company, won't name it here) did, after she started working there, was to drive the mirror off one of the new Setra buses at the port tunnel ?

Must have been up on the side-strip to do that. Statistically that's more incidents caused by women, than men, driving bus :)

/M

• Advertisement

...if anyone here has made a complaint to the BCC, would they drop me a pm.

I did, and have got responses from them - to which I need to reply, but I'm looking to make a good response.

Oh, and, has anyone got a recording of that radio ad, or where can it be got ?

If at all poss, today please, they only give fixed amount of time to respond.

I notice they've had a number of complaints on it, so I'm assuming some came from here........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I did recieve a response to my complaint, something about they would consuider it etc, have not heard the ad in a while , was it pulled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

She drives on the fumes.....he pays...again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I haven't seen the ad but it does sound off the wall.

So.. they are advising women not to get into a car with a male who is driving because there is a higher risk of an accident or fatality?

Ok. Aside from the sexism that has already been pointed out here... that men are more dangerous drivers... there is another underlying sexism in advising only women not to get into a car with a man driving, and not also advising other men not to get into a car with a man driving.

Is it that the man risks a higher chance of an accident with a woman in the car or that a woman's life is more valuable and so the men do not need or deserve warnings about being passengers in a car with a male behind the wheel?

What's next? Are they going to tell kids not to get into the car with their dads when they are picked up from school?

Once again the BBC must be stopped.

....the BBC must be stopped.

...the who ? :confused:

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Sorry..typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

With the high levels of complaints and with people like Jerry Ryan even stepping up to say how sexist it is, there's a chance it's already been pulled. I used to hear it on phantom regularly but haven't heard it in a while.

I think that the RSA deserve a slap for this and the rose of Tralee should be boycotted for endorsing this campaign too. I know if I was a sponsor or the broadcaster I'd pull out to disassociate myself from an event that endorses sexism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I heard on the radio this morning that the RSA were trying to put forward proposals for 'boy racers' to be given a curfew and also make it illegal for males under 25 to be insured on cars with engines over a designated size. I can't believe this group of morons!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/driving-curfew-proposed-to-save-young-mens-lives-1868264.html

"The options include a curfew banning late-night driving; restrictions on engine size and speed; and laying down who could accompany young men in cars."
    Well we're not allowed to drive with women in the car in case we kill them!

"RSA chairman Gay Byrne said yesterday that it was part of a proposed "reconfiguration of the driving licence" for young men."
    They should be taken to the high court for sexist behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

steve06 wrote: »
    I heard on the radio this morning that the RSA were trying to put forward proposals for 'boy racers' to be given a curfew and also make it illegal for males under 25 to be insured on cars with engines over a designated size. I can't believe this group of morons!

How would the RSA, or anyone else, even define "boy racer"? Any male under 25 driving a car? Specific cars? Cars with spoilers? Other stupid generalisation?

Stupid IMO.

• Advertisement

How would the RSA, or anyone else, even define "boy racer"? Any male under 25 driving a car? Specific cars? Cars with spoilers? Other stupid generalisation?

Stupid IMO.

[SARCASM]
    Any old gear-head with more than 300W of sound in the car will not be allowed to have a bigger engine than 900cc
    [/SARCASM]

:-p

Fools, engine size has nothing to do with actual power of the car. And the power of the car has nothing to do with how it's driven.

/M

Advertisement