Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time for a new campaign " She drives (into pothole) , He fixes puncture"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I dunno about ye guys, but I'm going to make it my business to complete that BCC form and ensure its sent in the post.

I've had enough of the RSA and its stereotyping. Enough is enough and this is the straw that broke the camels back.

THis is worse than just stereotyping. This is sexism at its very worst. Hell they are accusing all men of being killers. Where is this going to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

mymo wrote: »
    I am a woman driver...there I've said it.
    My ex didn't drive, I generally like to drive myself so no I've never been killed by a male driver:D
    I hate those adds. They are making villans out of young men.
    I do think elderly drivers can be just as dangerous as the young, but the majority of tailgaters and speeders I see are male (although the business men are pretty common perpetrators) I do drive minimum 200+ miles a week.
    One thing I will say is young male drivers do have a tendency to buy their cars for looks and streetcred rather than safety. I know that's a bit of a generalisation, but how many men consider this? Do you think that could be a factor in these stats?
    I chose my first car as it had good safety, my dad had drilled this into us all as he says "doesn't matter how good you are, everyone else on the road is a hazard" and still do consider this above all else, I hope in a few years when my Daughter starts driving she'll consider the safety of her cars too.

"safe" cars are usually no fun to drive, they isolate you from your surroundings and also give some people a false sense of security. unless a car has a very bad reputation i wouldnt think about safety at all. the one i have now has no airbags, no abs or any electronic safety features at all and it doesn't bother me a bit. most cars that are built to be safe are aimed at families with kids, have lots of electronic gadgets built in that i don't care for and are ridiculously boring to drive. of course i would say that a boring car is also quite dangerous but nobody has devised a test for how boring a car is and how much more likely you are to be distracted or fall asleep while driving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dankoozy wrote: »
    "safe" cars are usually no fun to drive, they isolate you from your surroundings and also give some people a false sense of security. unless a car has a very bad reputation i wouldnt think about safety at all. the one i have now has no airbags, no abs or any electronic safety features at all and it doesn't bother me a bit. most cars that are built to be safe are aimed at families with kids, have lots of electronic gadgets built in that i don't care for and are ridiculously boring to drive. of course i would say that a boring car is also quite dangerous but nobody has devised a test for how boring a car is and how much more likely you are to be distracted or fall asleep while driving it

The mind boggles:confused:

A safe car is boring? Please give some examples...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

EPM wrote: »
    The mind boggles:confused:

A safe car is boring? Please give some examples...

Peugeot 807

actually most modern cars are quite boring and the trend is to continue till we get the Google Autonomobile at which point it reaches absolute boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Eh, what? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dankoozy wrote: »
    Peugeot 807

actually most modern cars are quite boring and the trend is to continue till we get the Google Autonomobile at which point it reaches absolute boredom.

So any modern Ferrari, Lambo, M-car and the like are boring as they are safe? There are still interesting cars being built at present so I just don't get your comment

Fair point about the 807 mind...but then it's more of a bus:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...fwiw it's worth, I have now filled in and submitted complaints to both BCC and ASAI, and am about to fire off a volley to RSA, too.

...oh, and I emailed the Tubridy, Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy and Derek Mooney shows on it as well.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...fwiw it's worth, I have now filled in and submitted complaints to both BCC and ASAI, and am about to fire off a volley to RSA, too.

...oh, and I emailed the Tubridy, Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy and Derek Mooney shows on it as well.......

I just found a picture of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Thats the spirit. To be totally honest I'd love to live in a country where crap like this came out on both sides of the fence. Most of us are clever enough to figure out the simplistic -( almost civil servant like levels of blank faced thought process) RSA- ( The who, what have they ever done except keeping gaybo on the airwaves) subplot - ( sterotype). Then we could all have a laugh but oh no not in good aul Ireland. Men are fair game ( we want into your golf courses just dont even think about joining a "womens only gym :D " ) but it just doesnt seem to swing the other way and these twonks have just pushed it beyond a joke.

update, my RSA complaint, now sent in too.
    To Whom It May Concern

I wish to advise that, as a male, I take particular exception to your misleading campaign 'He Drives, She Dies'.

It is stereotypical, gender and sexuality biased, in defiance of equality rules, and is in breach of both advertising and broadcasting commission standards. Accordingly, I have lodged formal complaints with both the Broadcasting Commission, as well as the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland, to have this 'propoganda' ad pulled, and to have your body formally censured on the subject.

Furthermore, your so-called 'supporting' evidence is nothing of the short. It is a manipulated representation of statistics - and as they saying goes, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. You may infer something from the descending order of that list.

I would ask you now to formally withdraw your ad, to issue an unreserved apology to the 50% of the population of the State you have defamed, and to explain how this ad came to exist without any visible reference to Standards and Legislation covering broadcasts such as yours falls under.

Yours sincerely,

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Haven't this been done enough already in here and AH?

As to the campaign I think it's effective, particular the "don't let your drunk boyfriend take you home" part.

update, my RSA complaint, now sent in too.

Jeeeezz , remind me not to cross you Mr Lawyer :D . Expect a response sometime over the next 10 years ( if the introduction of their safety measures is anything to go by ( , maybe even by aul " Hello there Uncle Gay here....ya wha Gay :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think they have a point. The vast majority of posters on this forum seem to be male, we've obviously killed off the women. I can only thank the RSA for pointing this out to us, I've been driving for years with women in the car without realising that I was killing them. On the other hand I hope my girlfriend doesn't see this ad, if she finds out I've been killing her on a regular basis for the last few years I'm screwed.

Technically, you won't be.

But, you might be sleeping on the couch tonight. :D

On topic - thank goodness I have not actually heard this ad yet.
    I have been on the bike a lot lately - no radio - maybe thats a good thing.

I wonder if the Rose of Tralee organisation, or Aoife Kelly, realises the depth of feeling on this - anyway of contact her I wonder.....Facebook/Bebo ? ( I don't have a 'social' presence...........hey, that's what Motors is for !! )

Ode To The Motorist

Magnus wrote: »
    Haven't this been done enough already in here and AH?

As to the campaign I think it's effective, particular the "don't let your drunk boyfriend take you home" part.

No, I don't think it's been done half enough, actually. This is a motor-related subject, in a Motors forum. The RSA are abusing their position on a self-righteous mission, and should be afforded no quarter. They're well able to pontificate at will, but when they're on an outright propoganda mission, that's a different ball of wax.

As a Galway person you'll be aware of the fatal crash in Galway in the last few days. Two females, one dead. No males involved. Makes the debate downright timely, actually, the tradedy not withstanding (within 1 mile of my house, actually........)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Very bad use of statistics, you really need to have an idea of what number of cars are driven by males and not involved in fatal accidents and compare to a cohort of female driven cars not involved in fatal accidents, it may well be that women passangers are safer in cars driven by male drivers.

Its like saying that because HGV drivers killed are nearly always male, women are safer HGV drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Numerous threads on the subject aside - is anyone actually interested in doing something about these campaigns?

Let me know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a driver in the age group being targeted by this, I demand a discount on my insurance based on the fact that I don't have a girlfriend to kill, nor am I ever likely to try and impress one with mad driving....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

funkyflea wrote: »
    Numerous threads on the subject aside - is anyone actually interested in doing something about these campaigns?

Let me know.

What do you suggest?

You know at this point, Im actually more annoyed with the females reaction to these ads, all of a sudden Im a bad driver. I was dropping some friends off during the week (females), I was being talked to like I hadnt a clue what I was doing, despite driving far longer than my (female) passengers. These ads seem to be giving the women some kind of ego boost.

The ads are seriously flawed ladies.

More men drive for a living.

More men on the roads.

Men spend longer time driving.

Men 9/10 will drive their girlfriend/wife somewhere.

Well now its no wonder men are involved in 66% of fatalities on our roads, no ****ing **** RSA.

Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

How about a warning going into hospital.

"Is your nurse female? If she is,you are going to die! ( based on the fact that most nursing errors and mercy killings are carried out by female nurses)"
    While this statement is complete rubbish it shows how statistics can be used against one sex.

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »

...it has just been brought to my attention btw, by no less an August Body (:p) than my SO....that if the gf is out of her tree with Bacardi/Coke, what, you'll let her drive.......?

Interesting pespective, my SO has........:D

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Zonda999 wrote: »
    That is the very reason why these figures are flawed. They dont reflect the fact that more men drive and that men drive more miles.

To put it simply, how many couples do you know in which the woman does the driving?

My da actually is nervous with my ma driving. She's quite good though I just think he doesn't like being a passenger. He usually does the driving.

I don't drive but I know loads of males who've driven cars with female passengers and they've not killed the females.

I think its safe to say then that 100% of male drivers survied here have NOT killed any female in a car female passenger in a car whilst they were driving :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

FearDark wrote: »
    What do you suggest?

You know at this point, Im actually more annoyed with the females reaction to these ads, all of a sudden Im a bad driver. I was dropping some friends off during the week (females), I was being talked to like I hadnt a clue what I was doing, despite driving far longer than my (female) passengers. These ads seem to be giving the women some kind of ego boost.

The ads are seriously flawed ladies.

More men drive for a living.

More men on the roads.

Men spend longer time driving.

Men 9/10 will drive their girlfriend/wife somewhere.

Well now its no wonder men are involved in 66% of fatalities on our roads, no ****ing **** RSA.

Grr.

Well I've been working on a website for the past while which I'm just trying to get content for, gathering information so that we can present our case, to media, message boards, whoever will listen.

It really gets under my skin to see/hear these ads and I know plenty of females who can sympathise with the plight of the male driver at the moment. Also, as a result of this kind of thinking, male (esp. young male) drivers are still being discriminated against when it comes to insurance premiums. There is nothing in Irish law at the moment to stop this discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

oops...... will have to keep my text speak in my handbag in future, for fear of offending the delicate sensibilities of the male drivers.
    Why so defensive ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Good to see that this isn't dying down.

Evening Herald carried a story about it being completely sexist and even Gerry Ryan has come out about it.

I'd say it'll be all over the likes of Gerry Ryan and Joe Duffy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

brilliant thread!
    what will women do if they wont get in the car with a male? ring a taxi,who will almost certainly be a male:D
    this ad is on red fm (cork) all the time and its driving me nuts,yesterday i saw an old lady in a yaris clip a kerb and keep going like nothing happened! i was terrified and she didnt even notice:eek:

bad weekend to lauch this campaign aswell,3 women killed in single vehichle crashes over the bank holiday weekend,

if the g/f dosent get into the car to go shopping i just end up buying beer and crisps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

oops...... will have to keep my text speak in my handbag in future, for fear of offending the delicate sensibilities of the male drivers.
    Why so defensive ???

its in the charter,no text speak,mens rules;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I find the ad pretty offensive too, and I'm female!

I don't know how they got away with it. I remember hearing the ad for the first time and was in shock that it was actually allowed to be broadcast. I know what they're trying to get at (don't get in a car if you don't trust the driver) but why target fellas? Women are just as useless at driving as men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

funkyflea wrote: »
    Also, as a result of this kind of thinking, male (esp. young male) drivers are still being discriminated against when it comes to insurance premiums. There is nothing in Irish law at the moment to stop this discrimination.

Well lets be clear about a couple of things here. In insurance premiums are based on the risk factor of the given driver/vehicle and location where the vehicle is kept. About 10 years ago if you were under 25 or over a certain age most insurance company's would refuse to quote you. That was discrimination based on age and it was stopped by new laws. So what did the insurance companies do? You have to have your full drivers license a given number of years or they refuse to quote which at the time of the change ended up being pretty much the exact same rule as before but as it was not based on age but more on a statistical likely hood of you being high risk case they were fine.

Refusing to quote you based on age/gender etc is discrimination. Loading your insurnace premium based on age/gender is not discrimination if they can back up the loading with proof that a driver of that age/gender falls into a higher risk group. It sucks but thats the way it is.

Advertisement