Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time for a new campaign " She drives (into pothole) , He fixes puncture"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Thanks for that Chris and I second all of the above. The whole point of the thread was men being singled out as the villians and the flaw in that argument. Nobody male ,female ,religion etc etc should have to put up with sh1te like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'll try and get this back on topic :)
    Please leave a post if you are a man who hasnt killed a woman in a car
    technically she wasnt actually still in the car when she died

so +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

After reading the rules of advertising on the asai website, its clear that this ad campaign should be pulled on the following rules.

2.15: A marketing communication should contain nothing that is likely to cause grave or widespread offence.

2.16: Marketing communications should respect the dignity of all persons and should avoid causing offence on grounds of gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or membership of the traveller community.

2.17: Marketing communications should respect the principle of the equality of men and women. They should avoid sex stereotyping and any exploitation or demeaning of men and women. Where appropriate, marketing communications should use generic terms that include both the masculine and feminine gender; for example, the term 'business executive' covers both men and women.

2.18:
    To avoid causing offence, marketing communications should be responsive to the diversity in Irish society and marketing communications which portray or refer to people within the groups mentioned in 2.16 should:
    (a) respect the principle of equality in any depiction of these groups;
    (b) fully respect their dignity and not subject them to ridicule or offensive humour;
    (c) avoid stereotyping and negative or hurtful images;
    (d) not exploit them for unrelated marketing purposes;
    (e) not ridicule or exploit religious beliefs, symbols, rites or practices.

Its clear that this campaign falls foul of all these rules.

http://www.asai.ie/entiresection.asp?Section_Num=2&Section_Desc=General_Rules

If like myself you are annoyed or even insulted by the this advertising campaign, please feel free to drop the Advertising Standards Agency of Ireland a line at the link below and tell them how you feel.

http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

My opinion on the reasoning behind the campaign is that it flawed also. The statistic don't take into account that men drive more often than women nor the fact that men will drive longer distances in the year than women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just to point out, if you want to complain, it needs to go to the BCC, not to the ASAI. The ASAI wont deal with it as it is not a advertisement for commercial goods, its an advertisement for awareness.

http://www.bcc.ie/

On another note, I really shouldnt be posting here as I has killed several wimmins with my car.

Not my fault that I mistook the accelerator for the brake, and launched my car over a concrete barrier into a bus stop full of female activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I am a woman driver...there I've said it.
    My ex didn't drive, I generally like to drive myself so no I've never been killed by a male driver:D
    I hate those adds. They are making villans out of young men.
    I do think elderly drivers can be just as dangerous as the young, but the majority of tailgaters and speeders I see are male (although the business men are pretty common perpetrators) I do drive minimum 200+ miles a week.
    One thing I will say is young male drivers do have a tendency to buy their cars for looks and streetcred rather than safety. I know that's a bit of a generalisation, but how many men consider this? Do you think that could be a factor in these stats?
    I chose my first car as it had good safety, my dad had drilled this into us all as he says "doesn't matter how good you are, everyone else on the road is a hazard" and still do consider this above all else, I hope in a few years when my Daughter starts driving she'll consider the safety of her cars too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

From the RSA stats, it would appear that male drivers out number women by 4:1 (80% v's 20%) in all fatal collisions. The figure for fatal collisions where a female passenger is killed is 2:1 (67% v's 33%), by those figures it would seem that women drivers are massively overrepresented in fatalities where a female passenger is killed, compared to their overall involvement in fatal collisions. Aren't statistics funny, even if the subject is nothing of the sort.

mymo wrote: »
    I am a woman driver...there I've said it.
    My ex didn't drive, I generally like to drive myself so no I've never been killed by a male driver:D

Good on ya. Thanks for joining in. The whole point of this thread is not to blame people and slag each other off as to who are the worst drivers, its just to point out that this ad campaign would never be allowed if the boot was on the other foot...thats all.

Its interesting, because there is another thread going on here, where someone was broke donw on the side of the N7. Sitting in his car, he noticed a Nissan Micra flying up the hard shoulder behind him. Smash.

The interesting part is the fact that the driver was not a 17 year old on a provo licence, while on the mobile, but in fact was an very elderly man.

In this case, had it been a young driver, I believe they would have at the very least spotted the hazard in the hard shoulder, or even would not have been driving in it!

This leads me to ask - why is there no add campaign warning of people not to get into a car with an elderly person?

Just to point out, if you want to complain, it needs to go to the BCC, not to the ASAI. The ASAI wont deal with it as it is not a advertisement for commercial goods, its an advertisement for awareness.

http://www.bcc.ie/

Off topic but I just " downloaded " a complaint form from that website and its just a blank word document :D.......only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Saab ed I get that and I'm sure pc brigade would be stoming the RSA building if it was reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

mymo wrote: »
    One thing I will say is young male drivers do have a tendency to buy their cars for looks and streetcred rather than safety. I know that's a bit of a generalisation, but how many men consider this? Do you think that could be a factor in these stats?
    I chose my first car as it had good safety, my dad had drilled this into us all as he says "doesn't matter how good you are, everyone else on the road is a hazard" and still do consider this above all else, I hope in a few years when my Daughter starts driving she'll consider the safety of her cars too.

Fair play for choosing your car in such a manner. If only everybodu considered the safety of their car. In saying that most of the people I know who drive did not even consider this when choosing their car, especially the first one.

I asked a friend a while back if their car had ABS and she didn't know so it's unfair to claim it's only young men that choose their car in such a fashion

Just fired thos off to the RSA....

"
    Just to say your " He drives she dies " camapign is one of the most sanctimonious piles of rubbish I've ever seen in my life. Will you guys ever get out of your Ivory towers and wake up to whats actualy the real everyday problems out there on the roads. How much did this complete waste of tax payers money cost . Too much thats how much. I fully respect what the RSA as an organisation is trying to do but this codswallop just takes the biscuit. All respect gone out the window from me. Please pass on the message to Gaybo.....what ever it is he does. Waste of space.

Thanks.

Ed. "

Man this one has really wound me up...........deep breaths :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

some women do drive Zondas ........n r pretty good 2 ......u cant argue with the stats !!!

Give us a look at your Zonda! :D

And back on topic... I remember hearing a few years ago that an ad for lacost aftershave was only allowed to be shown after 10pm because 3 (yes 3) people complained about offensive male nudity... you saw a fella's arse for about 1.5 seconds.

I've seen so many threads about this campaign over the last few months on various forums and know that a lot of people have lodged complaints about it being offensive and having skewed statistics yet it's still going on...

I received a reply regarding my complaint but I can't find it now, basically they told me that it wasn't up to the advertising standards authority to pull the ad, wtf do they do then? How are they getting away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

What I find ironic is the last bank holiday weekend how many deaths on the raod were as a result of female drivers? Was it 3 or 4 accidents where there was a fatality with a female driver involved? The very weekend they really ramped up this campain.

Look the simple fact is every gender/age/race/class of person can be a hazzard on the road. Targetting a certain one of those does nothing but make it out that they are the only reason. But as with motor insurance I'm sure the RSA have the same allowance to discriminate based on gender as long as they have stats to back up the reasoning. But as a t-shirt I had once said "87% of all catholic school girls go on to be strippers and 98% of stats are made up on the spot". I've also done enough work with stats and analysing figures to know that you can get them to support any side of the arguement you wish with some simple ommisions of certain factors and gentle manipulation of others.

steve06 wrote: »
    I received a reply regarding my complaint but I can't find it now, basically they told me that it wasn't up to the advertising standards authority to pull the ad, wtf do they do then? How are they getting away with it?

See my post above. Lads, if your complaining, lodge it with the BCC.

See my post above. Lads, if your complaining, lodge it with the BCC.
    "All complaints must be in writing" - they have a website don't they... can they not have an online form?

steve06 wrote: »
    "All complaints must be in writing" - they have a website don't they... can they not have an online form?

Thats because they're useless ****** *****.

Sorry, my finger slipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

This leads me to ask - why is there no add campaign warning of people not to get into a car with an elderly person?

This is very true. Some of my scariest moments behind the wheel have been the result of older drivers (75+) dawdling about and changing lane at will. You have bus passes. Use them if you are not capable to drive in a straight line at a reasonable speed and indicate when turning:mad: But you'll never hear an advert targeted at them.

Although those bloody ads are dangerous. Yer one that says "don't even think about..." in the bad quality clips voice grates on me so much this morning i nealy crashed because I was too busy punching the radio...seriously whingey voice...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I passed my test and was given a certificate of competency on the road. Why am I now being told I am a killer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think they have a point. The vast majority of posters on this forum seem to be male, we've obviously killed off the women. I can only thank the RSA for pointing this out to us, I've been driving for years with women in the car without realising that I was killing them. On the other hand I hope my girlfriend doesn't see this ad, if she finds out I've been killing her on a regular basis for the last few years I'm screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Love the thread title OP:D

My opinion of the RSA has dropped right through the floor.
    There are loads of perfectly able young male/female drivers on the roads, none better than the other imo.
    My first thought was insurance companies are gonna love this:rolleyes:

Nobody killed by me (in a car):o

Actually, I've got a question, what happens if I give my parents a lift somewhere, do they both have to die or is it just my mam?

stevenmu wrote: »
    Actually, I've got a question, what happens if I give my parents a lift somewhere, do they both have to die or is it just my mam?

Just your mam.

Because your dad is male, he'll be launched through the air, through the windscreen of another car, where he lands in the drivers seat, hitting the accelerator, causing the car to crash into another car and kill the female driver. :eek:

D'uh.:D

stevenmu wrote: »
    I got rear ended by a chick a few weeks ago, the impact killed the hooker I had in the boot... am I the killer because I was driving the car or is the woman that rear ended me the killer?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Saab Ed wrote: »
    The Rose of Tralee launched this campaign! Thats the last time i'll be voting for any of them!!:mad:

Oh god, it's on the radio now. I think Phantom play it 2/3 times an hour!

The Rose of Tralee launched this campaign! Thats the last time i'll be voting for any of them!!:mad:
    So will they be getting female chaperones this year, or will the Roses be driving the male chaperones around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Let me see..............I've driven practally all over Ireland, Isle of Man, England....including London....have done almost 200,000 miles at least (and I'm only 28)....NEVER crashed or killed a woman BUT my two sisters and girlfriend, my brother's girlfriend, my friend's sister...have written off their cars. (and some more then once!).....I only know two males who've crashed. I know a LOT more women who have.....and as stated before I can guarantee men do the majority of the driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I think the ad itself is a hazard, causing men to shout at the radio & change the channel.

Where did they get those voice actors too, sooo annoying!!

I think this latest campaign tops Gaybos young-man disease farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Doesn't a large percentage of fatal crashes involves trucks (maybe even over 50%). Since that is a male-dominated profession, that would skew the stats.
    They would be better off inspecting trucks for overloading/road worthiness and tacho's like they do in other countries instead of producing more propaganda that has no effect except give insurance companies an excuse to load male drivers.

Advertisement