Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler - call your time

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning on doing a 20(ish) miler the next day so will be running this purely for race experience. I also feel that I'm going to suck so I'll go for under 82 minutes. Missed the Frank Duffy last year too as I opted for staying in bed instead so looking forward to it this year, ran the route last weekend too, won't be able to run it this weekend me thinks because of that race in the park on Saturday and Sunday, really need to plot an 18 mile route for myself now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Ran it last year (injured) in 83 something.

All going well this year, hoping for sub-73!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Not sure about this one now, ran 10 miles yesterday at 8 1/2 min miles so I'd say I'm good for sub 80 on the day, Macmillan has me down for 79, dream time would be below 78, I'm stickin with sub 80 as per the how fast will you go thread. Anything else is a bonus.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

1:45, my physio has asked me to treat it as a training run with a free t-shirt at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'll do my classic, "overpredict my performance" thing again....sub 68 mins! I need to be going easily sub 70 to have a shot at sub 3:11 DCM, McMillan says 68:11.

Figs, I reckoon you should be sub 70 at least, even going by your last time in the 5m :) You've been doing good training, I don't want to hear any excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm planning on doing a 20(ish) miler the next day so will be running this purely for race experience. I also feel that I'm going to suck so I'll go for under 82 minutes. Missed the Frank Duffy last year too as I opted for staying in bed instead so looking forward to it this year, ran the route last weekend too, won't be able to run it this weekend me thinks because of that race in the park on Saturday and Sunday, really need to plot an 18 mile route for myself now.

.....or 5mile warm up - race - 5 mile warm down, interesting LSR with 10 miles of tempo @ PMP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

67 09 last year but I felt I went all out for it. I was in better nick last year for that distance. Still, I'll hope to go sub 67 this year. In favourable weather conditions and if I don't get held up at the start I can hopefully do it.

....and like RQ I gotta do 21 the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Last year nearly killed me as it was the first time I had ever ran 10 miles.

Would like to go under 58. That's 4 minutes off last years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Based on the 5M, macmillan says 81mins. I've been doing a bit extra on speed work in the last couple of weeks, but not sure if it will stand to me by Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

< 64:16 for me (McMillan 3 hour marathon equivalent time)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Hope to go under 62.30 but would be happy to go under 65.
    First time racing this far, so hopefully i can start at a nice easy pace as opposed to going off like the clappers as i normally do.
    Really looking forward to the race. Hopefully we get good weather..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

Hope to do sub 65 but will require alot of training in the next 8 / 9 days if I'm going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

McMillan says my 40:30 in 5m puts me at 1:25:04 so anything around that is some sort of consistency, although this is either planning for a slower start or a massive positive split...

Did a half last night so will balance that out with a couple of shorter runs at race pace towards end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

If I get in under 1:40 I'll be a happy bunny. Fast times are not an option for me at the moment, it's all about getting around - next year, I'll be quicker, honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Hopefully under 7945 depending on how far up i start :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭aero2k

mithril wrote: »
    < 64:16 for me (McMillan 3 hour marathon equivalent time)
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

aero2k wrote: »
    +1

+1

We should be keeping an eye on each other. I'll be sporting my boardsies singlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hope for 75/76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Question for anyone who has done both this race and Ballycotton. Do you think this is a tougher course than Ballycotton? I'm edging towards "yes" but have never run this one. I've really no idea what kind of time I could run - the hills second time round are going to be torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Registration is closed and theres no late reg in Lifestyle which I was holding out for because my credit card is maxed, is there anyway to register now its closed ???? Do people cancel ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Question for anyone who has done both this race and Ballycotton. Do you think this is a tougher course than Ballycotton? I'm edging towards "yes" but have never run this one. I've really no idea what kind of time I could run - the hills second time round are going to be torture.

Good news - looking at results from last year from 5 lads I know it looks to be a faster course than Ballycotton (most guys I know were about 15-40 secs better than their ballyc time). Maybe they just ran well that day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I was actually gonna start this thread myself so thanks for getting it going Racoon Queen.

Im looking forward to this one, 10 miles is a proper race. You can spoof your way through a 5 miler having not done any great deal of training, but if you havent prepared for a 10 miler you'll get found out soon enough. Anyway training has been going very well lately so Im gonna wildly over predict and go for 57 mins. Maybe even break into the 56s if I get tangled up in a duel with somebody in the last 2 or 3 miles and stubornly refuse to quit even though I'd feel like Im gonna die.
    Bit concerned about the weather though, pretty hot at the moment so Im hoping it wont be baking next saturday. Did a half marathon at the end of June and it was scorching hot that day, knocked the stuffin' out of me(and my race time). Should be a good race though because this is the national 10 mile championship race aswell as being part of the addidas race series. So there should be a good quality field competing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

tunguska wrote: »
    10 miles is a proper race. You can spoof your way through a 5 miler having not done any great deal of training, but if you havent prepared for a 10 miler you'll get found out soon enough.

So true! which is great if you have the training done. Looking forward to it myself, didnt realise it was the national 10 miler.

mrak wrote: »
    Good news - looking at results from last year from 5 lads I know it looks to be a faster course than Ballycotton (most guys I know were about 15-40 secs better than their ballyc time). Maybe they just ran well that day though.

Thanks mrak. I'm only doing this because the race calendar is so crap here at the moment. Besides this race there's no weekend road races in Dublin until the middle of September!! I'm not really in ten mile race shape but if I managed to get close to the Ballycotton time I'd be delighted. There may be some big uphills in the Phoenix park but there's also some big downhills - the whole second mile is a steep downhill. Makes it kind of hard not to go off too fast.

tunguska wrote: »
    Should be a good race though because this is the national 10 mile championship race aswell as being part of the addidas race series. So there should be a good quality field competing.

I thought it was just the Dublin Championship that was incorporated and not National.

I thought it was just the Dublin Championship that was incorporated and not National.

You could be right SP, I'll check it out for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My PB is 66:47 from last year's race. Hopefully I'll be close or better this year - my confidence is positive because I beat my previous 5 mile time in the first race.

Yes I was wrong about that, Frank Duffy isnt the National 10 mile champioship race, Its the Dublin city 10 mile championship race. My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Last 10 mile was three years ago at 66 minutes. Unofficial PB is 64 ( first ten miles of last years adidas half) , BUT dub marathon training going terrible at the moment SO ......I'm going to try first 5 in sub 32 and try to hang on for sub 64.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Going by McMillan I should be aiming for sub 80m30s, so I'll be hoping for sub 80m for a nice round number!
    Should help with the pacing (8min/miles!)
    Previous best was 2007 in a time of 89m 44s...

First though have the Streets of Galway 8km this weekend.
    My PB for the course is 38m17s from last year but will be disappointed if I don't break 38mins this year with an eye for sub 37min...
    Anyone else doing Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Thanks Racoon Queen for posting about this race cos I'd forgotten to enter until last night, and it appears that I just got in before registration closed. Phew! 60minutes +/- 1min will keep me happy. Ideally 59 mins but training hasn't been great in recent weeks, and it's a tough enough course. Looking forward to it though.

Advertisement