Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler - call your time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mack10

McMillian says I should do it in 78:56 but since I only heard about him and his calculate yesterday I'll ignore that. Im also a complete novice so I am targetting 82.

Did 85 last saturday on a very quiet and reasonably flat course. The Frank Duffy is neither quiet nor flat but a couple more goes at that distance between now and the race and I would hope to knock a few minutes off.

Ultimately I'll be delighted with being able to control my pace consistantly throughout the race and finish strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

have decided to hop in near the start line (sayabout 50 poeple back), this will probably garner a few complaints but I'm not going to sacrifice a good warm up! I never go off terribly fast but no way I'm putting up with the nonsense of the 5 miler, otherewise no way of achieving sub 70mins with crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

estariol wrote: »
    have decided to hop in near the start line (sayabout 50 poeple back), this will probably garner a few complaints but I'm not going to sacrifice a good warm up! I never go off terribly fast but no way I'm putting up with the nonsense of the 5 miler, otherewise no way of achieving sub 70mins with crowds

50 People is pretty conservative, id go further up if I were you. 6000 running this bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Almost 300 people finished ahead of that time last year - and this year there could be double the numbers. I hope you don't get too trampled from the 500 people who'll need to pass you during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Almost 300 people finished ahead of that time last year - and this year there could be double the numbers. I hope you don't get too trampled from the 500 people who'll need to pass you during the race.

well 50 rows of people back from the start to be more correct!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well Macmillan says 1:17 should be my time, i'm hoping to go a bit faster so if i can do it in 1:15 i'll be v happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well 50 rows of people back from the start to be more correct!

If you want to go sub 70 about 8-10 rows back would be right for you

If you want to go sub 70 about 8-10 rows back would be right for you

Or jump into the front of the 70 minute section.

Or jump into the front of the 70 minute section.

Are there such sections ?

Are there such sections ?

Yeah - HardWorker mentioned it in 5 mile thread. Not too sure on how many sections there are but if everyone goes in the right one the world (or at the least the race) will be a better place.

• Advertisement

but if everyone goes in the right one the world (or at the least the race) will be a better place.

I don't know if it is due to his death but I'm humming the above line along to Michael Jackson's heal the world song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

christeb wrote: »
    Figs, I reckoon you should be sub 70 at least, even going by your last time in the 5m :) You've been doing good training, I don't want to hear any excuses!

Fair point... I guess I'm doing the opposite to you and "underpredicting" my time!

By my 5 mile time, McMillan says sub-70, so I'll revise to sub-70. Happy now?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

I'd be delighted to go sub 90 mins...not sure if very likely but going to give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I reckon im good for under 75

oh and can anyone answer me this - i registered for the 10 miler and half mar and still havnt gotten my race number in the post. registered about 3/4 weeks ago? anyone know when i should get this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ULstudent wrote: »
    I reckon im good for under 75

oh and can anyone answer me this - i registered for the 10 miler and half mar and still havnt gotten my race number in the post. registered about 3/4 weeks ago? anyone know when i should get this?

I'd say we'll get them this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ill be doing this as a training run as i have the longford marathon 2 weeks later. Really annoyed i cant run this all out as i have my 10 mile down to 1h12m in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

I'm planning on doing a 20(ish) miler the next day so will be running this purely for race experience. I also feel that I'm going to suck so I'll go for under 82 minutes. Missed the Frank Duffy last year too as I opted for staying in bed instead so looking forward to it this year, ran the route last weekend too, won't be able to run it this weekend me thinks because of that race in the park on Saturday and Sunday, really need to plot an 18 mile route for myself now.
    Hi RQ,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm not sure how far you live from the park, but a lap following the trail close to the outer wall on the north side via Cabra, Ashtown, Castleknock, Whites (Farmleigh Entrance) and Knockmaroon Gates, then by road via Furry Glen, Chapelizod gate, S bends, Wellington Monument and Zoo is 6.5 miles. A lap of the Ordinance survey HQ is almost exactly a mile, so you could add as needed. Driving past there today it looks like the crowd barriers won't prevent you running that 1 mile loop.
    As for running 20 miles the day after the race, I'm off to start another thread!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    .....or 5mile warm up - race - 5 mile warm down, interesting LSR with 10 miles of tempo @ PMP ;)
    I'm planning something like the above - 3 or 4 miles warm-up, 10 miles at race pace, 3 or 4 mile warm down. Sunday will be 30-45 mins recovery, 8-9 min per mile.

+1

We should be keeping an eye on each other. I'll be sporting my boardsies singlet.
    Black shorts, blue Aldi singlet and a hydration belt for me - how's that for planning!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    .....or 5mile warm up - race - 5 mile warm down, interesting LSR with 10 miles of tempo @ PMP ;)

That would work nicely if I could get through the 'finishing chute' in less than 15 minutes. :rolleyes: It would give me a nice rest day on the sunday too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Hoping for anywhere in and around 80-90mins....training has been a wee bit hit and miss the last few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Would be happy with sub-85, MacMillan says sub-82 but think that'll be the optimistic aim if things are going well on the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brienoian

Should be good for sub 80.
    Mc Millian has me down for sub 74 but my training hasn't being going well lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Ham Slicer

Probably looking at 85. Did 5m in 40 and I think I have been out twice since for a very light jog.

Was planning on hitting the course tonight but it could be closed off tonight/tomorrow for forensics.

May have been mentioned earlier but the course map seems to have changed from an earlier one I saw. First lap now heading down Kyber and both laps heading straight across from military road to Upper Glen (not swinging left down acres to Chapelizod gate) as per the 5m.

Ham Slicer wrote: »
    Probably looking at 85. Did 5m in 40 and I think I have been out twice since for a very light jog.

Was planning on hitting the course tonight but it could be closed off tonight/tomorrow for forensics.

May have been mentioned earlier but the course map seems to have changed from an earlier one I saw. First lap now heading down Kyber and both laps heading straight across from military road to Upper Glen (not swinging left down acres to Chapelizod gate) as per the 5m.

Just got a mail about the numbers being posted. It mentions another route change (a change from the changed route posted!). It appears that the second lap is now the first and the fist is now the second. We won't be running down the Kyber on the first lap. That'll happen on the second now. I wonder if this means we won't have to use the footpath on the first lap. The map says we'd have been using the footpath on the second lap.

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi RQ,
    A lap of the Ordinance survey HQ is almost exactly a mile, so you could add as needed. Driving past there today it looks like the crowd barriers won't prevent you running that 1 mile loop.

Had a look this morning and there's about 100m that's a bit tight, with long grass, but manageable. Depends on how big the crowds are, but the view is pretty restricted from there anyway, so should be no problem.

Got stopped by the Gardai asking about that poor unfortunate woman that was found yesterday. Puts things in perspective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tinslej

Can anyone confirm what exactly the route is now? The email we just got said the 2nd lap will go down Kyber Road, but the map on the website has the 1st lap going down it...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

tinslej wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm what exactly the route is now? The email we just got said the 2nd lap will go down Kyber Road, but the map on the website has the 1st lap going down it...:confused:

I'd take it that the email is correct and the current map on the website hasn't been updated - swap laps 1 and 2 from the website map. My guess is that the change is to avoid the congestion which happened in the 5 mile when moving from Chesterfield Av. into Kyber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tinslej

Right, that'd make sense. I hadn't seen that the map was updated on the site before, so I got the two new pieces of conflicting info at the same time. I'll give that new route a whirl this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

We won't be running down the Kyber on the first lap. That'll happen on the second now. I wonder if this means we won't have to use the footpath on the first lap. The map says we'd have been using the footpath on the second lap.
    Last year we ran on the road for the first lap. I would assume this to be the case this year too - you'd never fit a capacity crowd onto the path.

It makes sense to leave Kyber to the 2nd lap - now they can open the main road as soon as people have people have turned onto Wellington Road. I'm surprised that this wasn't the original plan.

Advertisement