Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****Lesnar Vs. Mir*** Spoiler

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

Kauser you're right

Josh Barnett needs to fight Brock - it would be a great match-up!

just lookin at his record - I knew he'd beaten some good guys back in Pride but actually his record is really really good and only lost 1 out of his first 19 fights and he's 6 ' 3'' and 255 lbs and only bloody 31!

check it out :

He went the distance with an on-form Crocop in '05 - and anyone who knows crocop in that period knows that is a big achievement
    He's beaten Yvel who tapped from strikes and he's a viscous bast-ard AND Monson who is dam hard to finish as everyone knows
    He went the distance with Nog and won on a split decision in '06.
    He beat Mark Hunt who hits like a truck.
    He beat Randy with strikes in '02 - nuf said (he was stripped of this win after for steroids but worth mentioning anywho)
    He beat Severn bout 10 years ago - another huge bloke and that was actually hard to do at that point
    He beat Semmy twice and he could be trouble for anyone with his gangly knee jab thing
    He submitted Fedors bro Aleksander and he's huuuuge and no slouch either

He's got Fedor next... and fairnuf he's probaby 3-1 against and everyone expects Fedor to knock him out within the first period but IF this guy wraps Fedor up and grounds him he could win by submission or g'n'p - possibly - at least he has as much chance as anyone and his wrestling is really good and he's very strong and very big and has great cardio and is on form right now............ but he'll proibably lose

if he loses he wont lose any respect at all especially if he lasts a couple rounds - then he'll be free to go to the UFC I assume , and it would be a perfect match up with Brock - say in November or December - he'll have won 4 of his last 5 and so has Brock !

course if he beats Fedor he's absolutely guaranteed to face Brock soon!

I think Barnett is as good a challenger to Brock as you'll find out there - better than Kongo, Velasquez so far or Carwin! (excl Fedor as always)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

koking wrote: »
    Lesnar had a great performance and is jus too big and strong but his attitude is terrible,really lets the sport down,its not pro wrestling and the sooner he realises people dont show respect to people wit that attitude the better.his management should gag him straight after a fight and throw him back in his cage then people might like him if he didnt open his mouth

It's not pro wrestlin but it's a business and he's good for business whether you like him or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL, the entire sections od DVD's dedicated to it for ffs.

It was me who said that not vflhp (doesn’t really matter) anyway it was part of the DVD WWE put out profiling him but his amateur wrestling background wasn’t a primary part of his on screen character/persona unlike say “Olympic Gold Medallist” Kurt Angle. If anything his Wrestling background was deemphasised as WWE don’t value legitimate backgrounds bar Jim Ross slyly slipping that stuff into his commentary and Vince McMahon thinks that type of info humanises his Superstars.

Personally Id like to see Mirko fight Brock probably non title if it was Brock's night fight as Mirko doesnt deserve a title shot yet. As Mirko has pretty good takedown defence and his head kicks may cause Brock serious cause for concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

rovert wrote: »
    It was me who said that not vflhp (doesn’t really matter) anyway it was part of the DVD WWE put out profiling him but his amateur wrestling background wasn’t a primary part of his on screen character/persona unlike say “Olympic Gold Medallist” Kurt Angle. If anything his Wrestling background was deemphasised as WWE don’t value legitimate backgrounds bar Jim Ross slyly slipping that stuff into his commentary and Vince McMahon thinks that type of info humanises his Superstars.

Personally Id like to see Mirko fight Brock probably non title if it was Brock's night fight as Mirko doesnt deserve a title shot yet. As Mirko has pretty good takedown defence and his head kicks may cause Brock serious cause for concern.

Non title? Does that even happen in the UFC?

Non title? Does that even happen in the UFC?

Nope and neither does Open Weight Grand Prixs unfortunately. But Mirko doesnt deserve a shot yet but I want the fight to happen ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

WHether or not flipping the abusing the crowd is bad for buisiness or not, isnt the point. After spending years trying to get mainstream sponsors on board, you cant have guys badmouthing them

Dont think Crocop has a chance against Brock, his take down defense isnt up to it.

Shane Carwin weighs in

The flipping off of the fans that just lined your pocket with millions of dollars is just LAME. He may be a Champion but he has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a Champion. The fans are why we do this Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama it is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did last night. It doesn't matter how much money you make if you can't earn your peers respect and the respect and love of the greatest sporting fans in the world. We have no scripts in this sport, no pre-determined earning amount and no pre-determined outcomes. It doesn't matter if you win or loose it matters how you win or loose.

Every autograph I give, every hand I shake I am thankful that you give me the opportunity to be a part of your world. This is the greatest sport int he world and most of the athletes in it deserve the love and respect they get and some just dont get it.
    From leaving the venue all the way to the Airport I have had fans of the sport ask me to take out Brock Lesnar for them. The thing is I have a very tough fight ahead of me that IMO is every bit as tough and talented as Brock. Cain is no joke and he may have had a tough fight against Kongo but I got rocked against Gonzaga. Fact is we are at the top of the HWT division and anyone we fight moving forward is going to be a real test. Cain is nothing short of a super athlete with amazing wrestling and he trains with one of the best camps in the country. I am sure Joe Silva told Cain the same thing he told us, winner gets the title shot. Cain is not looking past me he is looking right at me as the person that is in his way from potentially one of the greatest opportunities of his life and mine.

Babyface Carwin stands up for fans. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

dunkamania wrote: »
    After spending years trying to get mainstream sponsors on board, you cant have guys badmouthing them.

Brock dissing bud light was one of his most endearing acts since joining the ufc. It wont do his career any harm either.

Why should we care if Brock takes a potshot at some greedy corporation? It was entertaining and wont damage the sport in the slightest. Im sure coors lite or whoever would gladly take their place in a heartbeat anyway..

I want totally sure about brock before but now I am. He is f*ucking great for the mainstreaming of mma. Finally we have a character to rival mike tyson of the 90s..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I was full of hate for Brock Lesnar after watching his post-fight antics but I have to admit his press-conference made me think more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Fozzy wrote: »
    vflhp, New Japan's not scripted? News to me! :pac:

Nah I never said New Japan wasn't scripted, but the press conferences aren't. They're for the wrestler to say how humble and thankful he is for the chance, and how he hopes to be champion someday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

From watching the build up to the fight Mir was saying that brock hammer fist punches were like a little sister pulling your hair & hitting you & that to apply the knee lock (from first match) is what you learn in first month of training.
    Mir didn't respect the power or skill of lesnar & talked thrash the whole way.
    My own opinion was Mir said something to Lesnar after the match & Lesnar said now lets see you talk **** or something like that. I stand to be corrected.
    Talking to people in work, who are like myself new fans to MMA, the post match speech was what got people talking. Yeah he may have dissed Bud Light, but after a PPV, look how much attention this is getting. Bud must be delighted with the hype.
    Crowd was hostile towards lesnar all night, flippin them off was no big deal. Guarentee that when he fights in vegas again, the haters will pay to see him as they want to be there when he loses. The man is a PPV machine.

Here we go again:
    “I basically was (within) a half-an-inch of catching him. I knew he was hurt, but he had good leverage, with my shoulder against the cage. I made a stupid mistake. When I stood up, and he’s screaming, it took me a few seconds to realize (what Lesnar was doing). ESPN showed him spitting and hollering. My children are looking. I’m shaking my head, pointing at my kids and going, ‘That’s not how you want to do it, guys. We’ll be cocky, especially before a fight, to help sell it. I didn’t degrade him [when I beat him at UFC 81] and say he was an idiot. There was no point to kick the guy while he was down. OK, I beat the guy. What, am I going to spit on you, too? If I can just nail that (weight) gap to even 10 pounds, it’ll be a different fight next time. Hopefully next time, I’ll show him how somebody is supposed to act in victory.”

http://mmamania.com/2009/07/13/frank-mir-next-time-ill-show-him-how-somebody-is-supposed-to-act-in-victory/

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

I definitely want to see a third match. Best two out of three!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

In a weightclass that after is pretty much bereft of a clear next fight for Lesnar i imagine Mir hopes he can talk his way into a third fight.

DoireNod wrote: »
    I definitely want to see a third match. Best two out of three!

Well Frank did say on the Countdown that he would win 99 times out of a 100.
    Dragan wrote: »
    In a weightclass that after is pretty much bereft of a clear next fight for Lesnar i imagine Mir hopes he can talk his way into a third fight.

It would a good fight for a TV special at least like the third Ortiz/Shamrock fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

If Randy can get past Noguiera impressively, I hope the ufc will make Brock v randy 2. Randy had a good showing agaisnt brock the last time + it would be a huge ppv draw. Sure Randy would be the underdog, but thats nothing new...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Time is not on Randys side, but, I reckon he would have won the fight if he could have gotten it into the later rounds

dunkamania wrote: »
    After spending years trying to get mainstream sponsors on board, you cant have guys badmouthing them

This, right here, is the main point. His antics was a big step backwards for the UFC and I can only imagine the bollocking he got off Dana for it. His backtracking in the post fight press conference suggests it was pretty severe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

This, right here, is the main point. His antics was a big step backwards for the UFC and I can only imagine the bollocking he got off Dana for it. His backtracking in the post fight press conference suggests it was pretty severe!

Plus there sponsoring the event already so whats the point in sponsoring 1 fighter, it was a real pathetic thing to say from him..and laying on his wife? classy.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I don’t think it was a backwards step for UFC at all it got a lot of mainstream press overwhelming more positive than negative. The outrage over Brock’s antics are largely a non story outside of the “hardcores” and some columnist who are playing devils advocate for the most part. Yet again Brock didn’t do anything that a fighter has done in the past. If anything thing UFC made a tonne of new fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Gotta laugh at the poll results, the " Brock by TKO " has gotten more hits since yesterday.

Seriously lads who do this, you need to get out more.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Plus there sponsoring the event already so whats the point in sponsoring 1 fighter, it was a real pathetic thing to say from him..and laying on his wife? classy.

Yea, was only talking about that with one of the lads at training last night. If you are married or with a girl, it's kind of a given, u might make the odd joke to a mate or something but announcing it to a crowd of people you don't know makes you come across as an insecure d1ck who's trying to make himself appear like more of a man. Classless really.

Also, anyone being introduced to the sport for the 1st time, and I'm sure with it being UFC 100 that there were a few, will not take a good impression of MMA fighters from Lesnars behaviour. i just hope they had previously formed an opinion from watching GSP and Alves' behaviour after their fight.

Yea, was only talking about that with one of the lads at training last night. If you are married or with a girl, it's kind of a given, u might make the odd joke to a mate or something but announcing it to a crowd of people you don't know makes you come across as an insecure d1ck who's trying to make himself appear like more of a man. Classless really.

His wife laughed and clapped at the line as did the crowd. It was a humorous line it wasn’t like a crass Mike Tyson line or anything. All he really said that he was going to have consensual missionary sex with his wife.
    Also, anyone being introduced to the sport for the 1st time, and I'm sure with it being UFC 100 that there were a few, will not take a good impression of MMA fighters from Lesnars behaviour. i just hope they had previously formed an opinion from watching GSP and Alves' behaviour after their fight.

From the first timers I talked to and the internet feedback I’ve read people enjoyed both and didn’t have a problem with Brock quite the opposite. People saw it for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

His wife laughed and clapped at the line as did the crowd. It was a humorous line it wasn’t like a crass Mike Tyson line or anything. All he really said that he was going to have consensual missionary sex with his wife.

That wasn't what he said at all....it was a classless line. If Mir couldn't stop him from lying on top of him what chance has his wife got.

That wasn't what he said at all....it was a classless line.

He said I may even get on top of my wife. Oh big difference.

Rena was clearly appalled:
    sablehappy.gif

His wife not having a problem with it is irrelevent. It didn't need to be said. Also, the crowd didn't clap. He got the most heat I've seen any fighter get in ages.

From the first timers I talked to and the internet feedback I’ve read people enjoyed both and didn’t have a problem with Brock quite the opposite. People saw it for what it was.

I know it fueled the nay sayers because I know a few who saw it. I'm sure that you have spoken to every single 1st timer though.

His wife not having a problem with it is irrelevent. It didn't need to be said. Also, the crowd didn't clap. He got the most heat I've seen any fighter get in ages.

Sorry but the crowd generally speaking was "with" Brock during his speech and they cheered that line.
    Bare in mind these were the same salt of the earth fans who chanted "stand them up" while Brock was active on the ground pummelling Mir.
    I know it fueled the nay sayers because I know a few who saw it. I'm sure that you have spoken to every single 1st timer though.

Where did I imply that I spoke to every single 1st timer? I said:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Yet again Brock didn’t do anything that a fighter has done in the past.
    Just because some other ass has acted similarly in the past, doesn't excuse him. As has been said, these men are martial artists and they usually have a mutual respect of their opponent, even if they don't like them personally. Not touching gloves is considered to be a massive insult.
    If anything thing UFC made a tonne of new fans.
    Disagree. The Lesnar v Mir fight wasn't the only fight. Fights such as Hendo v Bisping (great knockout) and GSP v Alves (tremendous demonstration of skill over 5 rounds) would have generated much more interest in the sport. Only Lesnar fan-boys will defend Lesnar's antics. There's no doubt he's a credible fighting force, but he's only had 5 fights and is certainly not the best heavyweight in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've been reading a lot of first time viewers' opinions of the fight and the vast majority liked the show. A poll on f4wonline.com about what Brock did showed that the top three results were that he made regular, occasional and first-time viewers more likely to watch UFC in the future

I've heard radio hosts say that what Brock did was the best part of the show, but the manner in which GSP fought turned them off

I didn't think that what he said about his wife was classless, I thought it was funny. She had no problem with it and he wasn't exactly vulgar in his description of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Apologies if this was posted before:

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_UFC_100_Brock_Lesnar_Apologizes_During_Press_Conf?vid=10005560&tid=105

So Brock really does like Bud Light after all... I knew it!:pac:

Advertisement