Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I actually think that people with "high IQs" do worse in tests like HPAT then people of average intelligence!

Yeah, I'm in the 98th percentile of IQ but only 96th for the HPAT, BASTARDS! :mad:

The system is crap, probably always will be. I thought just using the LC was fairest, but some people don't like that, I don't like the HPAT due to the whole randomness and the difference one or little circles is going to make on people's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Evening
    My hpat result thing said i got 158
    I checked my CAO application and just to be sure added the 3 sections,
    my scores were, 1) 51, 2) 62, 3) 46

51+62+46= 159 not 158

Ironic that an exam basically testing my IQ cannot even add up my score correctly.

I no there is no point trying to get this sorted out, talking to the HPAT ppl is like trying to draw blood from a stone, an austrailian stone that is cac a diabhail far away icon9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spellman

if approx 3500 did the HPAt and you got 185 (93% percentile) then 245 people did better than you in the hpat. somebody else got 180 (92%) so in the top 280. Even if all those 280 got 600 points in the leaving cert and there are approx 400 medicine places in ireland your 580 should guarantee you a place in an irish college.

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Evening
    My hpat result thing said i got 158
    I checked my CAO application and just to be sure added the 3 sections,
    my scores were, 1) 51, 2) 62, 3) 46

51+62+46= 159 not 158
    [/IMG]

The scores aren't definite numbers, there's gonna be decimal points in them etc., and some of them will be rounded up or down. You really didn't think of that possibility? The number of answers you get right, possibly also which questions, has to then be compared to others and processed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMightyDouche

spellman wrote: »
    if approx 3500 did the HPAt and you got 185 (93% percentile) then 245 people did better than you in the hpat. somebody else got 180 (92%) so in the top 280. Even if all those 280 got 600 points in the leaving cert and there are approx 400 medicine places in ireland your 580 should guarantee you a place in an irish college.

Hold on, can you really be that sure, or accurate though?? I also got 92nd percentile but i got 183...so that means theres a range of at least 3 points within the 92nd percentile.

What im trying to ask is, i know there are approx 268 above the 92nd percentile, but is there any way we can know how many are included in the percentile itself?? (mabye im being petty, but it just looks to me that this kinda thing could be significant...especially on Joe Duffy in August:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

amacachi wrote: »
    You really didn't think of that possibility? then .

What sort of tone is that? fight talk?
    Yes but decimal points are rounded up after .5 of a point
    so why say 159 one place and 158 another? surely the CAO wud have the same score as the hpat
    Obviously since i got 159 overall i musst have gotten 158.5 or more which would entitle me to 159, its the way numbers are rounded up.
    Anyway its neither here nor there,<snip>

equivocal?

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    What sort of tone is that? fight talk?
    Yes but decimal points are rounded up after .5 of a point
    so why say 159 one place and 158 another? surely the CAO wud have the same score as the hpat
    Obviously since i got 159 overall i musst have gotten 158.5 or more which would entitle me to 159, its the way numbers are rounded up.
    Anyway its neither here nor there, <snip>

equivocal?

51 could've been 50.6, 62 be 61.8 and 46 be 46.0. Add them and round it, do ya get 158 or 159?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Weezybabee

hey i got 154 in the h-****e and expect to get maybe around 555 ( after converting down) in the leavin..... do i stand a chance?? this hpat is a ****ing joke, its a pure lottery if u ask me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dog_pig

spellman wrote: »
    if approx 3500 did the HPAt and you got 185 (93% percentile) then 245 people did better than you in the hpat.

The intervals aren't equal so that's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

drrkpd wrote: »
    pathway33

Hpat and leaving cert results have to be within 1 year of each other AFAIK

Pathway don't think that is true- you can bring any Leaving Certificate from any year as long as you did all the subjects for matriculation at the same time.

The only timing is that you must use the hpat result within 2 years -so this years (2009) hpat result can only be used for medical school enrty in 2009 and 2010.

Only restrictions I can see on the cao medical application website.

that would make more sense than my submission. So if you get 550 in the leaving this year you can keep belting away at the HPAT for the next 10 years if you like?

• Advertisement

dog_pig wrote: »
    The intervals aren't equal so that's not true.

The percentile intervals are, there's only 2/3 points in each percentile score, so there'll be 245 +- about 15 who did better. I think 245 is a fair enough estimate though.

The percentile intervals are, there's only 2/3 points in each percentile score, so there'll be 245 +- about 15 who did better. I think 245 is a fair enough estimate though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentile_rank
    Percentile ranks are not on an equal-interval scale; that is, the difference between any two scores is not the same between any other two scores.

I'm not retarded, I know how percentiles work. The scores aren't on an even interval but the number of people on each percentile is 1%, give or take a single person, so the number of people who scored above the 93rd percentile will be 6-7% of the total who took the test.

I never implied that you were retarded; look at what you said:
    The percentile intervals are

As in the number of people in each percentile.

So you're admitting you're wrong and looking for something semantically wrong in what I said? My work here is done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ok people please keep it on topic, no personal abuse or digs - just post about the HPAT.

I'm not retarded, I know how percentiles work. The scores aren't on an even interval but the number of people on each percentile is 1%, give or take a single person, so the number of people who scored above the 93rd percentile will be 6-7% of the total who took the test.

Why would it give or take a single person?

For a crazy example, if 150 people took a test, the result of which was split into percentiles, would there be 1.5 people receiving each percentile score or would half of the scores be received by 1 person and the other half received by 2 people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zdo0o

hey, I'm an irish national but doing A levels in the UK, got my hpat results today (flew to cork to do it!) and got 206, 99th percentile! absolutely ecstatic as you can imagine, just hoping that my A levels will be good enough to have a nice points equivalent to go with them! (i can only get a maximum of AAAa, which is 525 according to the UCD converter), however adding my 206 gives me 731,would that be enough? it seems low, but it's the max i can get :/ congratulations to those who also scored highly, commiserations to those who didn't do as well as they hoped for, and i hope you still try to study medicine through another route if it is truly for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zdo0o

i think it was a simple misunderstanding, you're correct in that the POINTS intervals are different (i.e. going from 150 to 170 points is a different percentile jump than 170 to 190) but the amount of people in each percentile jump (i.e. 50th percentile to 60th, and 60th percentile to 70th) is the same number of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Weezybabee

hey wud 710 be enough does any1 know??

zdo0o wrote: »
    i think it was a simple misunderstanding, you're correct in that the POINTS intervals are different (i.e. going from 150 to 170 points is a different percentile jump than 170 to 190) but the amount of people in each percentile jump (i.e. 50th percentile to 60th, and 60th percentile to 70th) is the same number of people.

What about all the people around the 50th percentile, where most of the people who did the test will score.

Say if more than one percent of the total cohort get the same score - what happens then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I see from the CAO site that 3356 is the correct figure for CAO 1st preferences for Medicine to date. That figure represented a big jump on previous years. I presume that 405 is the correct number of Medical places so it is difficult to fault your logic. That would mean that folks on the 88 percentile upwards would be in the most secure position. Someone here posted a message suggesting that quite a few of the High percentile people will not do Medicine after all. I wonder? They hardly put down medicine for the crack. Also their mothers will pile the pressure on!!! At 173 (84th percentile) I am now depressed. I can only hope that I hit 550 plus on the LC and that a lot of the HPAT high scorers didn't bother their arses with any work for the LC. My geuss is that the female HPat High Scorers will hit the high notes on the Leaving Cert...but there has to be a cohort of ADHD type male geniuses out there who never opened a book for the Leaving and who were forced by Mama to put Medicine down first. Maybe Im still in with a chance.

Let's be honest, its a load of bollocks. A complete load of toss. My girlfriend and her friend ordered the UMAT books and decided to photocopy them for each other. They did them together, they always prepared together, and they always, ALWAYS scored within 10 points of each other. I completely agree with what you say about section 2 also, they really messed that part up.

My girlfriend did one of those prep courses in Cork. She score 191. 96th percentile.

Her friend didn't. She scored in the 0-20% category.

So, don't abandon hope yet, Piste, definitely don't. Personally, I think you'll certainly get in, so many of my male friends have scored insanely high on their HPAT and, well, between you and me, they won't be studying medicine next year. And if they do, God help their patients. Well, more accurately, God help their soon-to-be-cadavers. Keep your chin up and try not to think about it. You did really brilliantly, its just down to fate now. And, even if it doesn't happen, then you can prepare and score far higher next year. You definitely can, I could see it after my girlfriend did the course. There is a 'knack' to it, and your frame of mind is important too.

The HPAT is such a joke. It could potentially cause dedicated people, like Piste for example to not get a place (though I definitely think you'll get in, myself!), while people who just flew in overnight will get to study medicine. I wouldn't mind if the test was an accurate reflection of your skills as a doctor, or hell, if it was a fair test of something vaguely relevant to the profession.

But it isn't. It is a load of bollocks. Lets all be honest here. The only people who disagree with this are those whom are scoring 480 in their Leaving and are praying ! It's a test that you can study for, and so favours the rich, who can afford the expensive prep classes and books. Section 2, the only section that is really relevant to the profession of medicine, is cheated in by every student who sits the exam. What student goes in with any frame of mind but "I'm going to say what I think they want to hear". The test becomes not a test of your ability to empathise, to feel, or to decide what is right in a given situation, but a test of how well you can lie.

Section 1 and 2 are ****ing shapes and comprehensions. I'm sorry, but Jesus Christ. The whole idea of this...I really cannot believe people agreed to this, ever.

Sorry for the rant. I thought the fact that my girlfriend is in would make me feel better about the whole situation, but evidently I am just of the opinion that the HPAT is a load of balls that does nothing but increase "storm and stress" for students, and increase the likelihood of fly-ins studying medicine.

At the same time, I wish everyone luck, always remember that even if the HPAT screws you over, its not that big a deal. Its never the end of the road. There are more options for you now than even, and if you really want to be a doctor, you will be. Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Jeebus wrote: »
    But it isn't. It is a load of bollocks. Lets all be honest here. The only people who disagree with this are those whom are scoring 480 in their Leaving and are praying ! It's a test that you can study for, and so favours the rich, who can afford the expensive prep classes and books. Section 2, the only section that is really relevant to the profession of medicine, is cheated in by every student who sits the exam. What student goes in with any frame of mind but "I'm going to say what I think they want to hear". The test becomes not a test of your ability to empathise, to feel, or to decide what is right in a given situation, but a test of how well you can lie.

I agree with the HPAT, sure I'm not happy with the scaled results, but there is no way to call me a 'fly-in' medicine applicant. I have been thinking about this for a good 2 years, reading, researching and hoping to get in. There is no reason to state that just because I agree with the HPAT says I'm aiming for 480 and praying, sure I'm praying, it's my biggest desire to get into the course! I'm in no way aiming for 480 points, I (hopefully) plan to get 510-525 , but unfortunately that is still not enough. The Leaving Cert is exactly how you described the HPAT It's a test that you can study for, and so favours the rich, who can afford the expensive prep classes and books.

Even saying that no exam will ever be fair so it can never appeal to everyone. Only option it seems to me is repeat and switch app.maths for some easy subjects like ag.science and physics to something like accountancy or some other hullaballu.

EDIT: That all being said, I guess I'll just have to wait longer.... I hope August goes well, and that you all get into whichever course you ultimately decide is your vocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Well you can all blame the Government because it was Mary Hanafin as Minister for Education who was responsible for the introduction of the test.

Fianna Fail - another fine mess you got us into

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bstoran

thats pathetic in fairness giving out about the hpat, of course its a fair way of getting in....
    its still mostly about the LC anyway
    ye obviously did crap if your giving out about it, a test is a test and you have no excuses about this one because you cant study for it and those courses do nothing there just a way of making money..
    the only reason people dont do well is because they're not good enough, simple as...

........ha truth is harsh..........get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 StatsMan

Hello to you all, I have been following this thread for a while now and just want to clear up some of the facts and figures people have been throwing around to help myself and hopefully some of you have a clearer picture of what your results mean. most of this has been taken from an article in today's Irish times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0623/1224249340275.html

Firstly around 2,900 people sat the exam - therefore there are 29 people (give or take 1) in each percentile of the results.

This also means that there at most 2,900 people competing for the places on offer.

Also the article points out that 480-490 places are on offer.

Therefore (480/2900) 16.5% of those applying will get in.

Taking into account the fact that a number of these places are reserved for people other then the "bog -standard" (non-mature, non- underprivileged schools) applicant - just as a very conservative guess - 400 will still be available to these applicants.

But also it must be understood that not all the 2,900 people who took the hpat were actually "bog - standard" applicants. Again - as a very rough guess maybe 300 of those sitting the test were mature/underprivileged schools applicants (excuse my lack of knowledge of the actual name for this type of entry)

Based on this 400/2600 or 15.3% of all bog standard applicants will get a place.

So where does that leave you with your hpat result in your hand. Well in my humble opinion this is how it will be

Those in the top 1% of hpat may get in once there LC is 500 (maybe even someone with 480 will get in but I have my doubts)

Those in the top 3 or 4% of hpat still require a LC of maybe 530+ to assure themselves of a place

Those in the top 4-20% hpat or so will be hoping for a LC of 550 or more. Then they should be confident of a place.

Those just outside this (maybe 20- 35, at most really) will need a near perfect leaving cert (550 as an absolute minimum) and then will be hoping that a large number those above them in the hpat do poorly in the leaving cert (which is by no means impossible)

Those below the top 35% of the HPAT - to be honest I don't see how you will get in this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nnkeenan

hi, i got 144 in the hpat 38%, seems extremely bad compared to what im reading on these blogs. I think i did a really good leaving, is there any hope?????:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

nnkeenan wrote: »
    hi, i got 144 in the hpat 38%, seems extremely bad compared to what im reading on these blogs. I think i did a really good leaving, is there any hope?????:(

There is a chance still, as the margin is v.low but you'll be needing a perfect LC (550+)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Inspired171

Statsman, you rock!! I'm in the top 18% and fairly certain of a near enough perfect leaving, so according to you...... I have a good chance!!:D:D:D
    Thank you, I'm off to get the Times...:) xx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement