Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

I've been following this thread (although I didn't do the HPAT myself) and, statistically, I'll be amazed if somebody scoring above 710/720 doesn't get in. If you have around 720, then rest assured, I'd bet that you've got a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Hey guys...
    Congrats and well done to all who did HPAT and the LC.
    Its tough times for you now (I dont know how id get through it, if id to do it again) so heads up everyone! You've done well...

Id just like to say that all is definitely not lost if you want to do medicine but didnt get the points.

There is still the grad-med option. Its not the easiest but the competition is not as much as undergrad route. Plus its only 4 years so thats not too much longer than the official 5 years undergrad route.

Give it a think over, and if you'd like then i can try answer any questions if i can...

Good luck and well done again
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Craguls wrote: »
    Don't give up! I'm sure things'll work out for you just stay positive I know your readers of your blog on leavingcert.net'll keep rooting for you!

Actually, since you mentioned it-
    I wrote a mother of a blog this afternoon abou the HPAT.
    www.leaving-cert.net/hpat for anyone who's interested.
    I've been following this thread (although I didn't do the HPAT myself) and, statistically, I'll be amazed if somebody scoring above 710/720 doesn't get in. If you have around 720, then rest assured, I'd bet that you've got a place.

THIS makes me more confident again.
    Thanks, I associate you with an amazing mathematical ability... so if you say it's right then... I'm happier.
    Please, please, please, let you be right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMightyDouche

Just wondering where that figure for 405 places in Ireland comes from? I heard that UCD were adding extra places to their course this year to keep up with increased demand from the HSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Just wondering where that figure for 405 places in Ireland comes from? I heard that UCD were adding extra places to their course this year to keep up with increased demand from the HSE

How come this wasn't mentioned at any open days? Or was this spur of the moment thing (Which is v.odd hardly ever happens with the HSE*)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

The 405 figure comes from qualifax I think. I have been told that the number of places this year is 420 as the government embargo was only on places not already approved. I think you are correct that ucd has some new places already approved. What I dont know is if some of these are tied already to mature students,eu students etc. I think if people work from a probable figure of about 400 wont be far wrong and if there are more for irish undergraduates-great!.

Crystler wrote: »
    How come this wasn't mentioned at any open days? Or was this spur of the moment thing (Which is v.odd hardly ever happens with the HSE*)

I was told that at higher options if i remember correctly...could be wrong though of course, it was some guy with a tie and baseball cap said it...Anyway im just curious as to where this whole 405 number is coming from.

Ya see im 92nd% so by Piste's maths i should be in with a good enough chance (if i do well in the leaving!) But my parents have said theres no way theyre paying for accomidation etc outside of dublin so my only options are TCD UCD and RCSI and ive no idea how many places they have

On qualifax, galways average intake is 90, but i think i heard somewhere that they're increasing that this year....i'm not sure, could've heard it at open days or something...

but you cant do medicine as a mature student? Only as a post-grad, and they have a different course to us right?

Thanks, yeah just looked at qualifax and it says nothing about extra places this year, looks like its
    UCD; 122
    TCD;94
    RCSI; 39

so thats 255 places in dublin...jeepers...im just below so

I was told that at higher options if i remember correctly...could be wrong though of course, it was some guy with a tie and baseball cap said it...Anyway im just curious as to where this whole 405 number is coming from.

Ya see im 92nd% so by Piste's maths i should be in with a good enough chance (if i do well in the leaving!) But my parents have said theres no way theyre paying for accomidation etc outside of dublin so my only options are TCD UCD and RCSI and ive no idea how many places they have

I think qualifax will tell you and maybe are a few extra places this year.

drrkpd wrote: »
    I think qualifax will tell you and maybe are a few extra places this year.

sorry but im looking on qualifax and i could only find numbers for each of the colleges seperately, i got

UCD 122
    TCD 94
    RCSI 39
    UCC 60
    NUIG 90

=405 total

dont say nothin about no extra places though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

So was anyone else just aiming for Human Health and Disease and is now a touch pessimistic since demand suddenly sky rocketed? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bythewoods wrote: »

I'm going to be a Pharmer, I am.

On the bright side, you'll actually get to find out what Pharmacognosy is :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Craguls wrote: »
    So was anyone else just aiming for Human Health and Disease and is now a touch pessimistic since demand suddenly sky rocketed? :rolleyes:

Demand is gonna be around the same, it would've been second choice before, now it's first choice for people who weren't going to get their first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

amacachi wrote: »
    Demand is gonna be around the same, it would've been second choice before, now it's first choice for people who weren't going to get their first choice.

True, I say needing the two sciences was restrictive enough anyway thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

I have 710( lc and HPAT) now, do I still have a chance? I think were all going to have to wait until August to see.... more waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Fad wrote: »
    On the bright side, you'll actually get to find out what Pharmacognosy is :p.

Fad, I actually lol'd!!

My Mother would be delighted, although I should really already know, yeah :P
    lala00 wrote: »
    I have 710( lc and HPAT) now, do I still have a chance? I think were all going to have to wait until August to see.... more waiting

Nah, don't rule yourself out.
    I have 723 (I can go up by a maximum of 10 with this year's LC, but I don't really see it happening. Might go up a few, but I did not get 600 points. No way.) and I'm just, keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm just going to make sure I've researched my second option really well this year :)

I can't see anyone under 700 getting a place though, what do ye all think?

bythewoods wrote: »
    Fad, I actually lol'd!!

My Mother would be delighted, although I should really already know, yeah :P

I have to concede, the whole thing was a stroke of genius on my part!

That was a surreal day.............

Meeting all my internet heroes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

I think you're right about the 700point thing. If I get in I'd say it will be on the third round.. with 712,(552 & 160) though you never know people who do well in HPAT won't necessarily do well in the leaving cert. To be honest I'd be quite confident about getting in if I had 10 more points like yourself!

lala00 wrote: »
    I think you're right about the 700point thing. If I get in I'd say it will be on the third round.. with 712,(552 & 160) though you never know people who do well in HPAT won't necessarily do well in the leaving cert. To be honest I'd be quite confident about getting in if I had 10 more points like yourself! I have a unconditional place in the uk so I could be worse of!

I know one guy who got 105 and probably wont get the points.

I know another guy who got 203 and might do music instead :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

I got 141... 34 percentile, no chance now.

Unless those with good hpats do crap in the leaving cert... not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

amacachi wrote: »
    Exam 081

81 in section 1, that's intimidating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Luv-To-Shop

Just wondering can you repeat hpat next year again or do you have to wait for two years???:confused:
    got 42% sooooooooooo disapointed realy want to do medicine and my hopes have been crushed!!!!:mad::(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Just wondering can you repeat hpat next year again or do you have to wait for two years???:confused:
    You can repeat it next year,and as many times as you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WickerChair

Is it true that Mature students will get their offers now as some have already completed their Leaving Cert etc?

Do the results really matter for Mature Students?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

got 42% sooooooooooo disapointed realy want to do medicine and my hopes have been crushed!!!!:mad::(:(:(

you can repeat hpat next year and say you do brilliant in the leaving yeah you wouldn't have to repeat the leaving, providing you have fulfilled the basic matriculation requirements along with your points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Is it true that Mature students will get their offers now as some have already completed their Leaving Cert etc?

Do the results really matter for Mature Students?

I think theres a CAO Round 0 for mature students who are not awaiting exam results which comes out in July but you would need to check www.cao.ie

Thank you - will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

81 in section 1, that's intimidating!

If you think that's intimidating you should see my --no, no I won't say it, that was close. :pac:

If only there was a career involving logic and reasoning, something in a trade union perhaps. Hmmm, maybe not. :pac:

'While the existence of average IQ test score differences has been a matter of accepted fact for decades, a great deal of controversy exists among scholars over the question of whether these score differences reflected real differences in cognitive ability. Some claim that there is no evidence for test bias since IQ tests are equally good predictors of IQ-related factors '

I actually think that people with "high IQs" do worse in tests like HPAT then people of average intelligence!

• Advertisement

pathway33

Hpat and leaving cert results have to be within 1 year of each other AFAIK

Pathway don't think that is true- you can bring any Leaving Certificate from any year as long as you did all the subjects for matriculation at the same time.

The only timing is that you must use the hpat result within 2 years -so this years (2009) hpat result can only be used for medical school enrty in 2009 and 2010.

Only restrictions I can see on the cao medical application website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement