Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

rivalius13 wrote: »
    When you get to college and start taking exams that really matter (Until, that is, they stop mattering), you'll look back and laugh and begin to hate your parents for the hardship they put you through and develop a criplling alcohol addiction your spouse will leave you and take your kids and you'll be left alone, unemployed with no one to look after you all because of that post.

Well you can resit College exams soon after. Repeating the leaving cert sets your entire life back a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

haemfire wrote: »
    did anyone check that paper one was for 2009 maybe the whole LC micht havve to be resat

if only:p

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

<EDIT> calm down and get some rest <EDIT>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Frolick wrote: »
    >_>... The grades are given out and are kept within the "grading curve". We all do bad we get marked easier etc etc... But no seriously crying over what should have come up and what suited you is a bit dumbfounded. You are being TESTED the exam does revolve around you. I'm annoyed that my friday night is stuck learning quotes AGAIN. But some students are reading too into this, their not going to give us a paper that we didn't perpare for, its unrealistic

I have a day less to study other subjects.
    I've had my study time-table fecked around with.
    I'm well aware the exam doesn't revolve around me, but being so close to an exam that would have suited me well is annoying. Extremely annoying. And I can see why people would be upset. If you can't, then...well...go to a starving person and put some food in front of them. Dangle it just out of their reach, until they eventually realise that they cannot get to it. See if they cry. Had you not put the food there in the first place, they would have been fine, but they were so close. Of course they are going to be upset.
    I have to see Elizabeth-bloody-Bishop's hyped up crap again.
    This doesn't affect all of us equally.

I have a right to be annoyed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I appreciate that too, it's unfair that people should have their LC and their careful study plans upset like this, but no-one can change it now, and it WILL be ok!

Unfortunately, life is often unfair, but a courageous attitude when shit happens will often bring us further, in life and even in work, than the LC ever will.
    /offers neck :pac: :D

Completely agreed with you there ! Points like that would certainly get you an A in paper one. What you say there is certainly a lot more insightful than my amazing "There is a time and place for everything, and its called college" conclusion for paper one !

I just hope my friends will pull themselves together ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Jeebus wrote: »
    I have a day less to study other subjects.
    I've had my study time-table fecked around with.
    I'm well aware the exam doesn't revolve around me, but being so close to an exam that would have suited me well is annoying. Extremely annoying. And I can see why people would be upset. If you can't, then...well...go to a starving person and put some food in front of them. Dangle it just out of their reach, until they eventually realise that they cannot get to it. See if they cry. Had you not put the food there in the first place, they would have been fine, but they were so close. Of course they are going to be upset.
    I have to see Elizabeth-bloody-Bishop's hyped up crap again.
    This doesn't affect all of us equally.

I have a right to be annoyed !
    First your comparison is just wrong... My table has been fecked with too and i'm doing to extra subjects. The fact is that people will start saying "Oh JESUS" study, study study and be hot, confused and angry before we even sit this exam. I think the SEC knows that it is a screw up and maybe account for this, i don't know... We could rely on the grading curve but Yes it has thrown everyone off

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Reilly616 wrote: »
    Those things ARE life-changing.
    In one sense, yes, I agree ... but my point was that you can still get to the same destination by a slightly different route. Might take slightly longer, but in the end you might enjoy the journey, and learn even more from it.

TRULY, deeply life-changing things ... love; marriage; having kids; death; etc.

I spent half of my second year in college sitting by the bed of a very close friend who was dying of leukaemia. That changed my life in so many ways.

I can barely remember my Leaving Cert.

And no, I'm not saying "get over it, there are worse things in life!" There are, but I also understand how stressful and annoying this is for all of you right now.

What I'm saying is: keep it in perspective.

This will all be over in a couple of days. Provided you stay CALM and use your time sensibly and don't panic, it will have feck all consequences in the long run, or even in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

Hi,
    so i did my leaving cert a good few years ago. i feel for you all now. but dont let this situation get to you, i speak from experience.
    i n my classmates had to sit a contingency paper during the exams due to a fire during the original paper.
    at the time there was initially -uncertainty as to us re-sitting, then knowing the paper was perfect n we were well prepared for it.
    it affected other exams in the days following and now i realised i should have said what happened is out of my hands, n concentrated on the paper of that day.

for those of u saying the paper will have totally different subjects.
    on the contingency paper i got ( it was a different subject) the topics were more or less the same, what was different was the wording and i wished i had spent more time reading the questions.

that goes with any paper but just make sure u read the questions n beware that it may be the same topic but be asking for different questions,
    the core syllabus will still be the same as it will like the original paper be based on what came up in previous years and what didnt,

stick to what u know.
    english is about fluidity , reasoning and rounded writing. you will be able to adapt to it, i wouldnt bother spending excess time reading up on new quotes. etc. you should be able to work with what u have,
    anyway thats just my advice.
    oh n maybe dont spend too much time agonising over it n reading stuff like this, it[ll only stress you out.

good luck with it
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

KC81 wrote: »
    Hi,
    so i did my leaving cert a good few years ago. i feel for you all now. but dont let this situation get to you, i speak from experience.
    i n my classmates had to sit a contingency paper during the exams due to a fire during the original paper.
    at the time there was initially -uncertainty as to us re-sitting, then knowing the paper was perfect n we were well prepared for it.
    it affected other exams in the days following and now i realised i should have said what happened is out of my hands, n concentrated on the paper of that day.

for those of u saying the paper will have totally different subjects.
    on the contingency paper i got ( it was a different subject) the topics were more or less the same, what was different was the wording and i wished i had spent more time reading the questions.

that goes with any paper but just make sure u read the questions n beware that it may be the same topic but be asking for different questions,
    the core syllabus will still be the same as it will like the original paper be based on what came up in previous years and what didnt,

stick to what u know.
    english is about fluidity , reasoning and rounded writing. you will be able to adapt to it, i wouldnt bother spending excess time reading up on new quotes. etc. you should be able to work with what u have,
    anyway thats just my advice.
    oh n maybe dont spend too much time agonising over it n reading stuff like this, it[ll only stress you out.

good luck with it
    ;)

Read it and following it, Thanks!

In one sense, yes, I agree ... but my point was that you can still get to the same destination by a slightly different route. Might take slightly longer, but in the end you might enjoy the journey, and learn even more from it.

TRULY, deeply life-changing things ... love; marriage; having kids; death; etc.

I spent half of my second year in college sitting by the bed of a very close friend who was dying of leukaemia. That changed my life in so many ways.

I can barely remember my Leaving Cert.

And no, I'm not saying "get over it, there are worse things in life!" There are, but I also understand how stressful and annoying this is for all of you right now.

What I'm saying is: keep it in perspective.

This will all be over in a couple of days. Provided you stay CALM and use your time sensibly and don't panic, it will have feck all consequences in the long run, or even in August.

I completely understand, I was just trying to point out how big a deal this can seem to those sitting it currently. I'm sure you can remember the stress.
    The fact is; alot of people have plans, and usually the type of people who make plans are exaclty the type who hate and fear them being altered.
    Personally, I know exactly what I want to do study-wise for the next 6 years. Despite the fact that I have worked hard for 2 years and everyone says I will do well, and even dispite the fact that I got enough points for my course in the PRES, there exists the last minute doubtfulness that can turn us all a bit mad sometimes. So, yeah, Just pointing that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I hope that everybody used their time wisely today instead of complaining on here. What's done is done and you'll just have to deal with it now.

Remember there's other subjects apart from English in the LC.

Best of luck all of you throughout and do your best.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I hope that everybody used their time wisely today instead of complaining on here. What's done is done and you'll just have to deal with it now.

Remember there's other subjects apart from English in the LC.

Best of luck all of you throughout and do your best.

Totally did! Maths is AWESOME!

I completely understand, I was just trying to point out how big a deal this can seem to those sitting it currently.
    That I really do get. So do lots of others. It's why a few of us volunteered to help out in here for a while when this happened.
    I'm sure you can remember the stress.
    Actually ... >_>

Tbh, dude, I was so bored with LC by the time I reached it, after working my ass off for two years, that I was completely calm. Probably too calm, in fact.

But yes, I think something like this would have caused a blip on the screen ... :D
    The fact is; alot of people have plans, and usually the type of people who make plans are exaclty the type who hate and fear them being altered.
    I think you're spot on there, actually ...
    Personally, I know exactly what I want to do study-wise for the next 6 years.
    Oh, I know someone like you!

/squints

Do you have ginger hair?! :pac:
    ... there exists the last minute doubtfulness that can turn us all a bit mad sometimes.
    Ofc, it's nerves, you'll experience it before any big event. It gets the adrenalin flowing.

Just don't let it get into the driving seat ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spartie

Wishing everyone who has to sit the re-scheduled exam on saturday the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Listening to the podcast now, pure comedy gold:) I reckon most of the students who called in will be struggling for points judging by some of the comments flying around...

Anyway, tough luck to ye all bout this whole thing and good luck in the rest of the leaving. Don't worry too much about it it's not too bad (I swear:p)

So is it safe for the Louth(ians) to come out now?

That_Guy wrote: »
    So is it safe for the Louth(ians) to come out now?
    I don't know, are they especially homophobic in that neck of the woods? :pac:

I don't know, are they especially homophobic in that neck of the woods? :pac:

How devilishly witty of you. :)

I can see the Discover Ireland type ad now.

"Visit Louth: The homophobic, leaving cert cheating County of Ireland. But hurry along it won't be here for long. Bebo users are planning to "nuke da fcukers ou of it"

Ah, there's been worse said about the place! >_>

Often by me ... :D

Completely irrelevant to anything but I typed in Louth into Google images and this guy came up.

Jayzus..... He'd haunt your nightmares alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Listened to some of the students on Liveline and they all seem to speak in a strange Ross O'Carroll Kelly type accent even if they are from Drogheda, Cork etc. Noticed this before with vox pops of students after exams or getting result. It's like sooooo annoying roight.

Nothing to do with anything here of course and sorry for going off topic.

Listened to some of the students on Liveline and they all seem to speak in a strange Ross O'Carroll Kelly type accent even if they are from Drogheda, Cork etc. Noticed this before with vox pops of students after exams or getting result. It's like sooooo annoying roight.

Nothing to do with anything here of course and sorry for going off topic.

I can hear it now. "It was a roight sham feen. We Drawda's are not to blame ye feens"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

That ^ is classic. Love it.
    I was on one of those vox pop things today and my Cork accent dissapeared o.O Roysh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The Indo report names the guy and says he's in his mid 60's so it's not the guy in the pic above.

I think that being older he trusted the students way too much to say nothing which of course would never happen. He had years of experience doing this job and had most likely become complacent. It wouldn't happen to someone supervising for the first time, they would be on high alert to everything.

sunnyside wrote: »
    The Indo report names the guy and says he's in his mid 60's so it's not the guy in the pic above.
    No, ofc it's not!!

Actually pic edited out to avoid confusion ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I read all of the Indo articles linked above. Something about parents not believing the students who reported it makes me uncomfortable, too much similarity to the child abuse stories of the past which weren't believed either and turned out to be very true.

It's reassuring to know that the vast discussion on this brought the problem to light quickly and no cover up was allowed to happen.

To the students who don't know what to study for the replacement paper---you didn't know what to study for the original paper either (before the leak). Predictions are just speculation. Good luck, you'll all be a part of history for doing the Leaving Cert on a Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 a x e 15

Just finished maths paper 1 and Tbh im now looking foward to the enilish on saterday. I've studied the poets that were on the orignal paper 2 as at least two of them are bound to come up on the new paper and im pretttttyyyy ok with the rest of the questions. I no im not going to get an A1 but im prety relaxed about the whole thing. Theres no point getting too stressed out about all the sh*t thats gone on over them in Louth. Just try to do what im doing, relax and do the test to the best of your abbilities (abbilities ??)(cant spell) and im sure we will ALL do just fine ......

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM ;);)

No, ofc it's not!!

Actually pic edited out to avoid confusion ... :)

Damn you Randy. That guy was supposed to be the face of Louth. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

"Hundreds of text"
    More like hundreds of thousands!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement