Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

This entire debacle has annoyed me to no end, and there seems to be a few points that everyone, not least the people discussing this one the RTE news tonight, have overlooked entirely.

The thing that annoys me most is the extra day of study we have lost (or, for some of us poor, overworked troopers, the much needed extra day of sleep that has vanished!).

Our Friday night is now gone - we will now have to stay up studying poets, Macbeth and our comparitive texts once again...there's only so much of this I can take! But now, with Friday evening gone, come Saturday I will have to stay up, all night, again so that I may catch up (after the lost day) on some much needed Irish and Maths study.

I'm not some idiot student who is paying the price for my procrastination, I've worked hard up to now, but, being the dedicated student that I am, I had time-tabled in a lot of work on Friday evening, work that will now have to be transferred to English. In addition to this Saturday morning is gone, and lets not even go into mentioning all the energy that will be wasted - Red Bull is not an adequate or healthy replacement, but its all I can hope will work at this point!

The female representative on the RTE news tried to make the point that "this will not affect any one group of students any more than another!". This is a complete fallacy. This has completely screwed over those of us who do Higher Level maths and Irish, those of us who had time-tabled in the extra study, and rest-time into our plans. This is going to be most detrimental, quite obviously, for those fringe students, who are just barely making a D3.

The other side of the story, however, is that this is beneficial for those whose Maths and/or Irish is strong, while their English is weak. They get an extra day of study for their weak subject, while the rest of the country has a day less to work on the subject that this person is strong at. They go up on the curb once again ! Not really fair, is it ?

Anyway, I've wasted more than enough energy typing this, if I waste anymore it will be a bit ironic, and my break is over now, so I'll leave you all alone!

Good luck with the exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Actually I am loling at you all. Ordinary Maths and I don't do Irish... BOOM

Jeebus > Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

You dont know how easy ye have it! When I did my leaving cert, we had English paper 1 and maths paper 1 on the same monday morning, following on tuesday morning with paper 1 Irish and paper 2 English. Cant remember the rest but we had all our big exams piled together with no breaks in between!

And now yere whinging becuase you got an even bigger gap btween papers! Hope you grow up pretty fast
    Theres more to it then that, are timetable has been messed with. People had plans to study at the weekend and all that slit. People who prepared for a exam on Thrusday were pissed when it was moved. It ruins the your whole mind set. BUT people are reading to deep into this, the paper won't be completely different, it unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

Jeebus wrote: »
    This entire debacle has annoyed me to no end, and there seems to be a few points that everyone, not least the people discussing this one the RTE news tonight, have overlooked entirely.

The thing that annoys me most is the extra day of study we have lost (or, for some of us poor, overworked troopers, the much needed extra day of sleep that has vanished!).

Our Friday night is now gone - we will now have to stay up studying poets, Macbeth and our comparitive texts once again...there's only so much of this I can take! But now, with Friday evening gone, come Saturday I will have to stay up, all night, again so that I may catch up (after the lost day) on some much needed Irish and Maths study.

I'm not some idiot student who is paying the price for my procrastination, I've worked hard up to now, but, being the dedicated student that I am, I had time-tabled in a lot of work on Friday evening, work that will now have to be transferred to English. In addition to this Saturday morning is gone, and lets not even go into mentioning all the energy that will be wasted - Red Bull is not an adequate or healthy replacement, but its all I can hope will work at this point!

The female representative on the RTE news tried to make the point that "this will not affect any one group of students any more than another!". This is a complete fallacy. This has completely screwed over those of us who do Higher Level maths and Irish, those of us who had time-tabled in the extra study, and rest-time into our plans. This is going to be most detrimental, quite obviously, for those fringe students, who are just barely making a D3.

The other side of the story, however, is that this is beneficial for those whose Maths and/or Irish is strong, while their English is weak. They get an extra day of study for their weak subject, while the rest of the country has a day less to work on the subject that this person is strong at. They go up on the curb once again ! Not really fair, is it ?

Anyway, I've wasted more than enough energy typing this, if I waste anymore it will be a bit ironic, and my break is over now, so I'll leave you all alone!

Good luck with the exams!

most intelligent thing iv seen posted on this topic fair play i hope you find some way around would still advise against red bull haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

i hope they give oput the wrong paper on saturday.

again.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiara.

I don't know where everyones getting this "lost day" crap from.

We got a day off today (people not doing engineering) and its only 3 hours on Saturday we miss??

You could have studied this morning what you'd have studied Sat.

I can guarantee most people would probs have had a lie in on Sat too!

And theres not alot extra work to be put in? Im just gonna go with what I had learned for the first paper.. Maybe go over the basics of another poet (be familiar with one)

I can't wait til Saturdays over so everyone will stop going on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

Kiara. wrote: »
    I don't know where everyones getting this "lost day" crap from.

We got a day off today (people not doing engineering) and its only 3 hours on Saturday we miss??

You could have studied this morning what you'd have studied Sat.

I can guarantee most people would probs have had a lie in on Sat too!

And theres not alot extra work to be put in? Im just gonna go with what I had learned for the first paper.. Maybe go over the basics of another poet (be familiar with one)

I can't wait til Saturdays over so everyone will stop going on about it.

i agree to much being made of it i do engineering and i was glad to get the extra time to study this morning im strong at geography and ok at maths so it worked out ok for me only thing is i dont do a hl language so i could see why them people would complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Frolick wrote: »
    Theres more to it then that, are timetable has been messed with. People had plans to study at the weekend and all that slit. People who prepared for a exam on Thrusday were pissed when it was moved. It ruins the your whole mind set. BUT people are reading to deep into this, the paper won't be completely different, it unrealistic.

Well ye had all day today anyway to get your arses in gear and adapt to the NWO. Its annoying, but if your really concernced dont be venting your worries and anger on boards.ie, i dont think anybody here is discussing 4 foor box by Seamus Heaney, therefore this thread is irelavent to you. Go study, and by that calmly revise the English paper 2 again but at the same time calmly revise and make time for the other paper on Monday. Spread out the love a bit, dont focus on the one bird all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Seamus Heaney? I certainly hope nobody is discussing him!

i agree to much being made of it i do engineering and i was glad to get the extra time to study this morning im strong at geography and ok at maths so it worked out ok for me only thing is i dont do a hl language so i could see why them people would complain
    Peoples mind sets have just gone and are reading too deep into this... My friend who wouild be an A1 student in English cried when she heard it was cancelled "Oh, everything came up that i wanted". I slapped her for being a idiot...For people with that attitude grow up. Its NOT what you want its what the examiners what you to do. I'm not going to let two years of study go to waste because of some balls up by a supervisor.

Job interview, "Oh i failed my English Paper becuase i was upset, but i'm a good people person"
    I don't want to be that person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

phasers wrote: »
    Seamus Heaney? I certainly hope nobody is discussing him!

He may be making a guest appearance in an exam paper near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Would ye get over it already!

All you can do is move on. Plenty more exams coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

He may be making a guest appearance in an exam paper near you.

Actually come to think of it I did read his name on the new paper when I seduced the chief examiner and had a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Geog wrote: »
    I remember doing my Inter Cert and the guy behind me kept calling me for tips/cogs. It was very difficult - I didn't respond but it was an awful position to be in.
    Intercert....cogging....god you're old.

Well ye had all day today anyway to get your arses in gear and adapt to the NWO. Its annoying, but if your really concernced dont be venting your worries and anger on boards.ie

God forbid we express our opinion on a message board.

I'm so sorry. This whole thing wasn't a cock-up at all. It definitely didn't mess up the mindsets and potentially the lives of thousands of students.

Oh, wait. It did.

My bad.

Yes, we have to move on. No, this does not mean we shouldn't complain. Thats the kind of attitude that gets nothing solved.

"Oh, look, Hitler forced himself into being our new Taoiseach"

"Ah, sure, look...its grand. Lets just get on with it".

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Damn this thread is long. Can't wait to see the length of the thread for the aftermath on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^ What is complaining on here going to get the problem solved? The only way the problem is going to be solved is studying - either new poets/themes if that's what you think, or revising the ones you've already studied.

To compare not whining about a silly Leaving Cert mess up, to not opposing a facist dictator in government is absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 robynk18

go to bed people!!! maths tomorrow :P

Frolick wrote: »
    Peoples mind sets have just gone and are reading too deep into this... My friend who wouild be an A1 student in English cried when she heard it was cancelled "Oh, everything came up that i wanted". I slapped her for being a idiot...For people with that attitude grow up.

Once again, God forbid that we are upset that they messed up the LIFE-CHANGING EXAM that we are sitting right now.

Some friend you are.

What some of you need to remember is that, for a lot of us, every last point counts, and when we hear that an exam has been cancelled, needlessly, because of some spastic invigilator who, ironically, cannot read English, it is upsetting to us.

We've worked long and hard, and to be so close to an exam that would have suited many of us down to the ground is a big kick in the teeth so close to the end. Not to mention to stress of having to look at another bloody Bishop poem tomorrow night.

It should be over, its not. Its stressful. Yes, I'm going to pick myself up and get on with it, but please do not be so ignorant to tell me that I cannot complain, and please do not have the gawl to say that this doesn't really affect us. It clearly, as can be seen in the tired, teary eyes of dedicated students across the country, does. A lot.

Also, I miffed up paper one and I'm quite annoyed :D.

^ What is complaining on here going to get the problem solved? The only way the problem is going to be solved is studying - either new poets/themes if that's what you think, or revising the ones you've already studied.

To compare not whining about a silly Leaving Cert mess up, to not opposing a facist dictator in government is absurd.

I never said it was going to get the problem solved, dear. I am merely reserving my right to complain about what is a serious cock-up in a public forum.

I'm not comparing a Leaving Cert mess up to a dictator getting into power, it was the principle of someone suggesting that we should 'just shut up about it' that I was conparing it to. We shouldnt.

(If we don't, it might mean they mark us a bit easier, to save the controversy we would kick up if they didn't ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭haemfire

did anyone check that paper one was for 2009 maybe the whole LC micht havve to be resat

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Once again, God forbid that we are upset that they messed up the LIFE-CHANGING EXAM that we are sitting right now.
    Yes, it's stressful.

No, it certainly shouldn't have happened.

But in all honesty "LIFE-CHANGING EXAM" it isn't. Yes, it can open doors to courses you want to do. But even if it doesn't work out, there are always options. Repeating, not the nicest one, but a possibility. Start another course, apply for a transfer. Do the full course, shift focus for post-grad. Etc.

It is estimated that most people coming through LC this year will have to re-train or formally upskill at least 4 times in their working lives anyway.

LC is just one step in what will be a progression of learning and assessment.

It is given way too much emphasis by the points race and by students, teachers and parents alike.

Take a step back.

Breathe.

Get a decent night's sleep.

EVERYONE is in exactly the same boat.

It's a damp uncomfortable boat at the moment, but it IS still afloat.

On the 19th it will all be over, and there is a whole summer to plan for ... :)

haemfire wrote: »
    did anyone check that paper one was for 2009 maybe the whole LC micht havve to be resat
    Only by people who write English to resemble German ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Some friend you are.

What some of you need to remember is that, for a lot of us, every last point counts, and when we hear that an exam has been cancelled, needlessly, because of some spastic invigilator who, ironically, cannot read English, it is upsetting to us.

We've worked long and hard, and to be so close to an exam that would have suited many of us down to the ground is a big kick in the teeth so close to the end. Not to mention to stress of having to look at another bloody Bishop poem tomorrow night.

It should be over, its not. Its stressful. Yes, I'm going to pick myself up and get on with it, but please do not be so ignorant to tell me that I cannot complain, and please do not have the gawl to say that this doesn't really affect us. It clearly, as can be seen in the tired, teary eyes of dedicated students across the country, does. A lot.

Agree with everything you're saying. Pretty much what i was trying to say in this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60533678&postcount=1517 except yours makes more sense!
    yey someone understands what im feeling :P:)

Some friend you are.

>_>... The grades are given out and are kept within the "grading curve". We all do bad we get marked easier etc etc... But no seriously crying over what should have come up and what suited you is a bit dumbfounded. You are being TESTED the exam does revolve around you. I'm annoyed that my friday night is stuck learning quotes AGAIN. But some students are reading too into this, their not going to give us a paper that we didn't perpare for, its unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Some friend you are.

When you get to college and start taking exams that really matter (Until, that is, they stop mattering), you'll look back and laugh and begin to hate your parents for the hardship they put you through and develop a criplling alcohol addiction your spouse will leave you and take your kids and you'll be left alone, unemployed with no one to look after you all because of that post.

Yes, it's stressful.

But in all honesty "LIFE-CHANGING EXAM" it isn't. Yes, it can open doors to courses you want to do. But even if it doesn't work out, there are always options. Repeating, not the nicest one, but a possibility. Start another course, apply for a transfer. Do the full course, shift focus for post-grad. Etc.

It is estimated that most people coming through LC this year will have to re-train or formally upskill at least 4 times in their working lives anyway.

LC is just one step in what will be a progression of learning and assessment.

It is given way too much emphasis by the points race and by students, teachers and parents alike.

Take a step back.

Breathe.

Get a decent night's sleep.

EVERYONE is in exactly the same boat.

It's a damp uncomfortable boat at the moment, but it IS still afloat.

On the 19th it will all be over, and there is a whole summer to plan for ... :)

I appreciate what you're saying, I really do ! To be honest, I'd be happy with 300 points at this stage !

The reason I am so annoyed, mostly, is for my friends, who have worked incredibly hard up to this point, and are at the end of their tethers now since they got shafted with all this extra work !

3-4 of my friends are going for Medicine, more for Pharmacy, more for Dentistry and more for other incredibly high-point courses (energy engineering is very popular!). They've put in such insane amount of work for the past two years. It just pains me to think of all the blood, sweat and tears that they've put in to get the course they want, and now, they might not get it with all the stress and the work and the circumstances out of their control...

...its annoying to think of what might have been, and what should have been !

Also, the thought of looking at 'The Bight' again, makes me want to wring somebody's neck !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Seriously, Leaving Certificate students- call it a night and head to bed.

It's late, you're doing yourself no good by staying up on this thread posting comments or worrying out what will be on the exam. No new developments will arise during the night- seriously.

Just log off, hit the sack, ensure you've calculators for tomorrow, and just be ready for that. Really, I'm talking in the best interests of students- just head to bed, start fresh and get some rest.

Night all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Yes, it's stressful.

Those things ARE life-changing.

• Advertisement

It just pains me to think of all the blood, sweat and tears that they've put in to get the course they want, and now, they might not get it with all the stress and the work and the circumstances out of their control...

...its annoying to think of what might have been, and what should have been !
    I appreciate that too, it's unfair that people should have their LC and their careful study plans upset like this, but no-one can change it now, and it WILL be ok!

Unfortunately, life is often unfair, but a courageous attitude when shit happens will often bring us further, in life and even in work, than the LC ever will.
    Also, the thought of looking at 'The Bight' again, makes me want to wring somebody's neck !
    /offers neck :pac: :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement