Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Outlawnoob wrote: »
    Can someone Explain to me how John Connor could have possibly been born in the first place to warrant the Terminator to be sent back in time to stop it?

:confused:
    It's a temporal anomaly. If future Connor didn't send back Kyle Reese he wouldn't be born but if he wasn't born he wouldn't have been able to send back Reese. It's a time travel chicken and egg scenario and will melt your brain if you think about it for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Can someone Explain to me how John Connor could have possibly been born in the first place to warrant the Terminator to be sent back in time to stop it?

Because time travel is bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

He shouldnt be able to in theory. People will go on about anomilies and stuff but unless your thinking string theory its a plot mistake me thinks..Apparently they thought of the whole time travel plot device because they didnt have the budget to set it in the future. Correct me if im wrong here but wasnt the original terminators budget somthing like 5 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

im not taking this as a film continued on.

Terminator 1 and 2 happend, and they were classics.

There are 3 new films appearing this being the first. So I'm going to take it rather like the star wars franchise, and I so happend to prefer the new ones to the old ones.

I' a big terminator fan and I'll see what happens. I'm over the fact that its not going to be near T1 or T2.

But at this stage I literally do not read critic reviews anymore, because they cannot dictate to me what is a good or bad film, there is no right or wrong.

My two cents, I'll probably love it.

Seems that Harry Knowles hated the film which is usually a good sign that the studio did'nt pander to the fat twats every want. In fact thinking about it a negative review from Knowles is actually an endorsement for any film though what's betting a free copy of the Blu Ray i 3 months time will have him reevaluate the film and post a positive review which likens it to the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

KerranJast wrote: »
    It's a temporal anomaly. If future Connor didn't send back Kyle Reese he wouldn't be born but if he wasn't born he wouldn't have been able to send back Reese. It's a time travel chicken and egg scenario and will melt your brain if you think about it for too long.

There's no reason why there couldn't be 2 John Connors - the first "original" John Connors in the first timeline was not fathered by Kyle Reese , he discovers a terminator is being sent back in time so he sends Reese who shags his mother, Sarah Connor has heard how her son is a future leader so she brings up the boy as John Connor and trains him etc, but he isn't actually the John Connor who sent Reese back but he's brought up to be him anyway, how does that sound

MooseJam wrote: »
    There's no reason why there couldn't be 2 John Connors - the first "original" John Connors in the first timeline was not fathered by Kyle Reese , he discovers a terminator is being sent back in time so he sends Reese who shags his mother, Sarah Connor has heard how her son is a future leader so she brings up the boy as John Connor and trains him etc, but he isn't actually the John Connor who sent Reese back but he's brought up to be him anyway, how does that sound

That's what I was thinking. Or else that her eggs were so badass that the da's sperm never even got a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its been pretty much confirmed by terminator 2 and the sarah connor chronicles (terminator 3 f*cks it up) that the timeline is to quote the doctor *wibbly wobbly elastic time motion*

-The central notion behind time travel in the terminator franchise is that the future can be changed, this was stated enough in terminator 2 to stick.

Essentially the core events, judgement day and the creation of time travel will happen...*but* when they happen can be shoved around by the events and actions of time travel.

So for example originally in terminator 1, judgement day happens and a leader named john connor rises and just before Skynet was destroyed they created time travel and sent back a terminator. And john sent back kyle.

But this action changed the future. Now skynet is broght online earlier (1997) and is much more advanced and john connor's resistance is created before judgement day via sarah connor training him extensively. Again time travel is created except this time the pawns are changed.

Terminator 3 started off well with judgement day being pushed back but completely f*cks it in the arse by simply saying judgement day happens, it cannot be stopped, thus destroying the entire message of the franchise.

Sarah Connor Chronicles though essentially proves the theory because every time a terminator/resistance fithter jumped back the future changed, this was proven by Derek Reese who in two episodes shows that the future he remembers is different to that of other resistance fighter Jessie and that the key detail is the date of judgement day. Also Sarah Connor Chronicles threw in a reverse idea in that time jumps forward have the same effect. As shown by the fantastic season 2 finale.

I understand terminator 4 sort of touches the same ideas in that how the future war was expected to happen had changed due to again time travel, but I dont know if they f*ck it up again like Terminator 3 or if it actually makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

MooseJam wrote: »

That's the way I see it. Would've been more solid if Sarah Conner had a b-friend in the original who was killed early on in the movie. Anything to stop my head exploding.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Essentially the core events, judgement day and the creation of time travel will happen...*but* when they happen can be shoved around by the events and actions of time travel.

So judgement day will happen, it cannot be stopped.
    Terminator 3 started off well with judgement day being pushed back but completely f*cks it in the arse by simply saying judgement day happens, it cannot be stopped, thus destroying the entire message of the franchise.

Vive la difference.

• Advertisement

entially the core events, judgement day and the creation of time travel will happen...*but* when they happen can be shoved around by the events and actions of time travel.

Vive la difference.

yeah sorry I didnt explain my issue with terminator 3 very clearly. Its not that judgement day happens and cannot stop, its that the whole point of the movie was simply to survive it. The act of time travel should amount to something more as it has in the prior films it should change the future, rewrite events.

But terminator 3 pretty much states that despite the time travel nothing can be changed. It cant be delayed and skynet is this disembodied power that comes out of nowhere (the internetz on noes!) and john connor and the t-800 can do nothing to change it, to delay it or destory its current embodiment.

Strangely to get a good idea of how time travel in the terminator franchise works, terry pratchetts Thief of Time and Night Watch give a sort of similar sum up of history, the little events dont matter, only that the big events happen, it doesnt matter when the big events happen or what order they happen in as long as they happen and the little events can be changed and manipulated as much as one desires but the big events must and will happen. The matter of when, who and why are irrelevent it just has to happen.

People argue about parallel timelines and say there are billions of parallel timelines one where I break a cup one where I dont break a cup, but to history does it matter that I break that cup? Of the billion events throughout history how many are actually important that they changed the entire world?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I understand the beef with T3 but it didn't bother me that much. I found it more appealing that skynet was inevitable. I mean if humanity is clever enough to develop AI then nothing can stop that. It's like saying if you went back in time and killed Einstein the Nuclear bomb wouldn't have been developed. I don't buy that so I was far more accepting of T3's idea than most appear to have been.

It's like saying if you went back in time and killed Einstein the Nuclear bomb wouldn't have been developed. I don't buy that so I was far more accepting of T3's idea than most appear to have been.

I'm not following this statement, I am saying the same thing, if I went back in time and killed Einstein I would not have stopped the nuclear bomb, *but* I would have delayed its development by an estimate time, how long I dont know, but it delays it.

In terminator 2 its accelerated and at the end it is delayed.
    I understand the beef with T3 but it didn't bother me that much. I found it more appealing that skynet was inevitable.

My beef with T3 is on many aspects. I openly dislike that it ended the plot mechanic of the war for the future is fought in the present by actually having judgement day happen (and it is one of my concerns with the upcoming film) I liked the fragmented future scenes but the focus being on the present. I also disliked its explanation for Skynet and that it was impossible to stop, it was very weak throw away explanation and made all the actions up to that point irrelevent. Finally I had a serious beef with the T-X I thought it was a lazy design and by far the least intimidating and uninteresting terminator to date.

So yes I have alot of beefs with T3, I accept you dont but my personnally opinion was that terminator 3 took a nice big sh*t over terminator 1 and 2.

So yes I have alot of beefs with T3, I accept you dont but my personnally opinion was that terminator 3 took a nice big sh*t over terminator 1 and 2.

Eh I'm not saying I love T3. It's an average movie. I just didn't get too worked up about it's crimes against the previous 2 films. It was never a sacred franchise to me. It was two fantastic movies by Cameron and after that Hollywood took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Only made $13m yesterday on its opening day in the US, and that actually includes $3m from midnight showings.

Hate to say it folks and I know it's early but..... BOMB! Seriously bad numbers, I think we have here the first big flop of the summer. I think it will crash out now at below 150m in its U.S run and kill the franchise dead. What were you thinking Bale?! And if it's poor performance extends over this weekend and onwards as I would expect, that's would be Warners second big-budget tentpole flop after Watchmen. They certainly are spending that TDK money as soon as they got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

theres another point about the timeline..

the first Terminator was sent back in 1984...

now, in Terminator 2 John Connor is supposed to be 13...(as he says this in T3 that they tried to murder him when he was 13)

but in T2, theres a scene where the terminator is explaining to sarah connor about how in 3 years Cyberdyne Systems will become the largest supply of military computer systems and that skynet will become self aware on august 29th 1997....

now that wud mean that T2 is set in 1994. which would actually make John Connor only 10 years of age, because he was conceived in 1984...

has anyone else ever noticed this?? it always puzzled me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yep, he's 10 in Terminator 2.

edit: Terminator 3 is just wrong, no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

Yep, he's 10 in Terminator 2.

edit: Terminator 3 is just wrong, no surprise.

a 10 year old who can hack ATM machines and break pin codes to locks and can ride a scrambler motorbike lol

i think they just didnt think about the progression of the years when they made T2 lol

im not sure T3 was wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

a 10 year old who can hack ATM machines and break pin codes to locks and can ride a scrambler motorbike lol

i think they just didnt think about the progression of the years when they made T2 lol

im not sure T3 was wrong..

He's stated as being 10 years old in the script. I'd go with Cameron on it rather than whoever wrote Terminator 3 myself..

Terminator 3 got his age from the age Edward Furlong was when he made terminator 2 (which was 13/14)

but the script for terminator 2 as already pointed out had him as 10.

wiki also confirms this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Connor#Terminator_2:_Judgment_Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

Terminator: Salvation is already weak-kneed. The McG-directed 4th in the franchise starring Batman's Christian Bale is running out of steam after making $14.8 million in domestic grosses both Friday and Saturday for a 3-day weekend of just $42M from 3,530 venues. That's lower even than Watchmen's non-holiday Fri-Sat-Sun opening. T4 already brought in $3M from its Wednesday midnight showings and $13.5M Thursday for what should be an underperforming $52M for the 4-day holiday and a cume of $62M for the 5 days.

Goodbye Terminator franchise :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So the guys who wrote catwoman wrote this, and McG directed it, seriously how is this not a monster hit

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

Terminator: Salvation is already weak-kneed. The McG-directed 4th in the franchise starring Batman's Christian Bale is running out of steam after making $14.8 million in domestic grosses both Friday and Saturday for a 3-day weekend of just $42M from 3,530 venues. That's lower even than Watchmen's non-holiday Fri-Sat-Sun opening. T4 already brought in $3M from its Wednesday midnight showings and $13.5M Thursday for what should be an underperforming $52M for the 4-day holiday and a cume of $62M for the 5 days.

Goodbye Terminator franchise :(

62 million is good tbh. It will definitely make more than was put into it.

Either way I don't wanna see 3 of the same film over the next few years. I'm just gonna pretend that 3 never happened and everyone lived happily ever after :)

terminator franchise is one of those weird ones that actual does better overseas then it does in america so I wouldnt count it out until the european numbers are in from next week.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    62 million is good tbh. It will definitely make more than was put into it.

Either way I don't wanna see 3 of the same film over the next few years. I'm just gonna pretend that 3 never happened and everyone lived happily ever after :)

It's got a $200m production budget (not counting around 50m for marketing) and will need at least $400m WW to break even. Without Arnold, it's difficult to judge how well it will do overseas. Also a strong overseas gross won't justify a sequel if the domestic numbers are woeful (i.e The Golden Compass). Right now I see TS bottoming out at a maximum 130m domestic and possibly as low as 115m - either way that's a disaster. The prospects are looking really bad, I think word of mouth is really hurting it and in this economy plus rapid-fire feedback from twitter etc it's nearly impossible for the numbers to spike upwards - if your movies isn't nearly unanimusly great (Star Trek) or a light crowd-pleaser (Taken, Paul Blart) it won't survive.

Not sure how they got this so wrong but I suppose we'll all see in two weeks (or rather won't)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

theres another point about the timeline..

the first Terminator was sent back in 1984...

now, in Terminator 2 John Connor is supposed to be 13...(as he says this in T3 that they tried to murder him when he was 13)

but in T2, theres a scene where the terminator is explaining to sarah connor about how in 3 years Cyberdyne Systems will become the largest supply of military computer systems and that skynet will become self aware on august 29th 1997....

now that wud mean that T2 is set in 1994. which would actually make John Connor only 10 years of age, because he was conceived in 1984...

because of the actions that took place in T2 the timeline got messed up and pushed everything back

interesting review from the spoony one

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009/05/22/vlog-5-22-09-terminator-salvation/#comments

spoilers in the 2nd half though, but he warns you when it is coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

interesting review from the spoony one

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009/05/22/vlog-5-22-09-terminator-salvation/#comments

spoilers in the 2nd half though, but he warns you when it is coming.
    If that review's even vaguely unbiased, it is pretty damning; that plot sounds utterly awful.

Advertisement