Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    However there's no getting away from the fact that there are plot holes, why Skynet just didn't kill Kyle the second that bot in the camp spotted him I don't know. Maybe, Kyle was in reality bait for attracting the real target John Connor, that's the only thing I can think of.

Yep, that's exactly what Skynet said..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I assume it was a result of my low expectations, or all the booze I had, but I though T4 was actually good.
    Ofcourse it's not that epic man vs. machine war we all hoped for ten years ago but it is definitely worth the price of a cinema ticket.
    The film is well paced and the Resistance are well fleshed out.
    Yelchin and Worthington give good performances while Bale-man remains his usual wooden self but the action is good the story will keep your attention. Even the 'winks' to previous films were done well (though others may disagree)

The only problems I had with the film were the Transforminators, growling terminators and the lack of an interesting score.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There were a few odd names on the credits actually... I guess if you had a name as equally ridiculous as the director then you were a shoe in for a part.

She should change her name to Moon Looksgood, I think. Can't do any harm anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Earthhorse wrote: »
    She should change her name to Moon Looksgood, I think. Can't do any harm anyway.

She had a topless scene that was filmed but it was cut. There was also a lot of gratuitous violence that could have earned the film an R rating but was cut. For example in the scene where
    Marcus and Blair are fighting the hicks, parts were cut out where Marcus tossed one guy into a fire, and sticked a screwdriver into another guys shoulder (winks to Arnold's beating down of the guys in the bar at the start of T2).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

She had a topless scene that was filmed but it was cut. There was also a lot of gratuitous violence that could have earned the film an R rating but was cut. For example in the scene where
    Marcus and Blair are fighting the hicks, parts were cut out where Marcus tossed one guy into a fire, and sticked a screwdriver into another guys shoulder (winks to Arnold's beating down of the guys in the bar at the start of T2).

Anyone know exactly what's including in the over 18's version as oppsed to the PG one?
    both film's running time is the same on Vue's site, how much longer is the over 18's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

D-FENS wrote: »
    Anyone know exactly what's including in the over 18's version as oppsed to the PG one?
    both film's running time is the same on Vue's site, how much longer is the over 18's?

Movies is the same, its just the audience are all over 18 so you less likely to hear people talking or acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Otacon wrote: »
    They were designed by Stan Winston, the same guy who did the previous films.

Production design was by Martin Laing according to the credits.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438488/fullcredits#cast

I doubt Winston had very much to do with a lot of the new crap in this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

nix wrote: »
    Movies is the same, its just the audience are all over 18 so you less likely to hear people talking or acting the maggot.

Cheers, i did'nt realise that's all it meant. Glad i did'nt make the effort to go and see the over 18's Wolverine now...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Production design was by Martin Laing according to the credits.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438488/fullcredits#cast

I doubt Winston had very much to do with a lot of the new crap in this film.

That might have something to do with him passing away during filming?

And what "crap" are you talking about,the new machines fit perfectly into the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ok just back from this film and I'm not a gigantic Terminator fan (though I love 1 and 2) or a hater but this was without a doubt the biggest piece of crap ive wasted money on in years and easily the worst summer blockbuster since Godzilla. I urge people to not see this, I can't remember a film with so many flaws, which I've helpfully listed below.

1. Plotholes. Probably been mentioned but why oh why
    was Kyle number one on Skynet's kill list if time travel hadn't occured yet in the timeline. And why was he "bait" when killing him would have killed Connor straight away? He could only be bait if they knew he was Connor's dad, in which case no need to lure him!
    2. Skynet. Why does their set up include a skyscraper and look like it was built by and for humans? Think outside the box McG! And if you're going to build a machine to snatch up humans silently, don't make it a 40ft robot that goes out during the day. Also just me or did anyone else think that the technology of the mototerminators and harvester seemed generations beyond that of the T-600?
    3. Cheesiness. Dear god, giving
    Kyle the jacket at the end was bad enough, but having Marcus put it over him? Nnngh.
    Countless other examples, mostly every single Moon Bloodgood/Marcus scenes.
    4. Under-ultilised supporting characters. Common's character - brother dies off screen, angry. Connors wife - ....can perform
    open heart surgery in the desert (yeah ****ing right). Pouts a lot
    . Mute kid - absolutely completely pointless.
    5. Unimaginative references to previous films. Ending film
    in industrial location
    , using GnR, the "I'll be back/Come with me..." lines. All shoehorned in with no imagination or subtlety and most likely McG hoping to win over the fanbase as eagerly as possible.
    6. Poor CGI. Terminator has always been at the forefront of special effect innovations but this was extremely poor. The cameo you've heard about was about as convincing as The Rock in the Scorption King whilst it did appear when that cameo's face got burnt and Marcus "waking" at Skynet were a "quick, this is getting too expensive" cop-out.
    7. Resistance upper command. Jesus christ these guys were all incredibly bad actors. The Russian guy especially belonged in a direct-to-video flick
    8. The ending. I've referenced it earlier but you will either laugh your balls off at the absurdity or hold your head in your hands. Either way you won't get the intended reaction McG wanted.
    9. Moon Bloodgood / Marcus - Why do these characters need a love story? To what purpose did it serve or come to any kind of closure? And it's actually not as easy to run away from bullets firing at you as it might appear. Also just a small reference to the Bloodgood girl power fight with the hicks - from the director of Charlies Angels, who'd have thunk it?

Was it all bad for me? Nearly. Well Worthington and Yelchin did the best with what they had and their early banter was quite enjoyable. Bale gave a one-dimensional performance to a one-dimensional approach to the Connor character and disappointed. In all I'm happy the poor US performance has put a nail in a series that should've ended with T2 as this is a completely avoidable experience. Pay heed to my words and go see Star Trek again if you really need a cinema trip this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I'd hate to watch a film and just pick holes in it. I'm glad I can go watch films and enjoy or hate them based on how it made me feel.

This film made me really happy. 9 out of 10.

Why does anyone care how much it cost? I've never watched a film and had it spoiled by how much it cost to make. It costs me the same money to get into the cinema to see it as any other.

Plotholes are not parts of a movie that don't make sense, they are parts of the story that contradict each other.
    Kyle Reese used as bait to attract John Connor to Skynet = Not a plothole. Just a silly plot device! :)

Come on people.... turn off the brains when you watch this film. :cool:

"turn off the brains when you watch this film."

Never understood this argument. Even crap films have crowdpleasing moments and great scenes or light-hearted enjoyable parts but this had none. Even the silliest action films can have intriguing storylines or imagination but this was a dour and miserable slog

If this is a 9/10 what are Iron Man, T2, Raiders, Aliens, Dark Knight, Die Hard? 14/10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Ok just back from this film and I'm not a gigantic Terminator fan (though I love 1 and 2) or a hater but this was without a doubt the biggest piece of crap ive wasted money on in years and easily the worst summer blockbuster since Godzilla.
    Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the WTF ALIENS!?
    Spiderman 3
    X-men 3
    Wolverine
    Star Bores 1-2.5 (the last half of RoTS actually had some acting in it)
    and many more, would care to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

All the films you mentioned (speedboatchase) would be a solid 8 or 9 with the exception of T2 which is a 10.

I understand people may not like the film for whatever reason but there's criticism and there's cynicism.

McG has a stupid name.
    From the same guy who made Charlies Angels.
    Cost 200 million dollars to make.
    Not as Good as T2.
    It has a 12's rating.
    Christian Bale is a twat! ha.

I just find it strange that these things have any effect on the end result.

Those were all horrible films but they weren't reboots like this with an entirely new cast and hopeful trilogy on the horizon (with the exception of Phantom Menace which at least had the pod race and darth maul fight). In that respect this was a spectacular misfire and I'm glad the box office 1. proves this and 2. ensures this direction doesn't get a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

1. Plotholes. Probably been mentioned but why oh why
    was Kyle number one on Skynet's kill list if time travel hadn't occured yet in the timeline. And why was he "bait" when killing him would have killed Connor straight away? He could only be bait if they knew he was Connor's dad, in which case no need to lure him!
    I thought of that too, but saw on imdb that a common theory was that skynet didnt really know about kyle reese and his importance but from reviewing the police interviewing tapes when he was in the 80s as he would have mentioned skynet and all that, same for sarah connor when she was in the loony bin. Would also explain why they didnt just kill him, perhaps it was to figure out his importance and relationship to john connor.

overall it has its flaws but i still think it was a good show and enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I really enjoyed it, I was unsure what to expect. All the references to previous films made me smile. The plot holes kinda annoyed me though,
    the aforementioned Kyle situation and the fact that Skynet sent one Terminator to kill John. Why didn't it send loads of units?!

Overall, the decent show. Since this is supposedly the first of a new trilogy, I'm curious as to where they'll go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

damnit I cant go see this until saturday :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Think i'll go to see this tomorrow afternoon. Not expecting much, but any Terminator is better then no Terminator (DAMN YOU FOX!! :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The only problems I had with the film were the Transforminators, growling terminators and the lack of an interesting score.

Just back from watching it this evening, and I can say I was pleasantly surprised given all the negative press so far.... And yeah Danny Elfman dropped the ball bigtime on this one, the score was a disaster and im a huge fan of his :(

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah it was a piece of ****, lets face it.
    What a crappy plot. The character Marcus was just pointless tbh, which is a shame as Worthinton played a solid performance and the only good thing about the movie. So many plot holes and how the **** are all the humans running around skynet at their own will at the end? Wheres the ****in robo guards?? UGH it was such a bad movie :(

Gintonious wrote: »

And what "crap" are you talking about,the new machines fit perfectly into the film.

You think a 50 foot robot with a gun for a head and that shoots motor bikes out of it's feet is a good design? Not to mention the fact that it somehow still manages to sneak up on people.

It's not very subtle and is like something a 12 year old would draw on his copy book. Certainly not up to the imagination that we've seen from Stan Winston over the years. It's also incredibly derivative of the recent War of the Worlds film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

judging by peoples reactions.

Can myself and pixelburp start doing a little victory dance because it seems to have turned out exactly like we said it would over a year ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Y'know what, even as a popcorn flick it was a resounding "meh" tbh.

Let me ask a silly question here, but why are they even calling this a Terminator film? Trying to tie up far too many loose ends without any real conviction. Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Watched this last night, as a big fan of T1 and T2 (hated T3), I thought this film was really poor.

So many bits ripped off from other films! & full of plot holes.

Referencing numerous bits from T1 & 2 & other films from the 80s/90s does not a good film make.

To be honest, It felt like a TV movie.
    The CGI Arnie did look great though

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    judging by peoples reactions.

Can myself and pixelburp start doing a little victory dance because it seems to have turned out exactly like we said it would over a year ago?

Ha ha, you may if you want. But as I said, I felt I got my moneys worth.:)

Anyone see what McG reckons his premise will be for a potential sequel? If he goes down this route, then the **** really will hit the fan. I don't even know where to start. Why 2011, seven years after judgement day?:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(franchise)#Planned_sequels

Anyone see what McG reckons his premise will be for a potential sequel? If he goes down this route, then the **** really will hit the fan. I don't even know where to start. Why 2011, seven years after judgement day?:confused:

Sounds awful....McG should never have been allowed near the Terminator Franchise.

What's particularly stupid there is the fact that Robert Patrick's image was from the cop that the T-1000 first impersonated. Not the person who made the T-1000.

• Advertisement

What's particularly stupid there is the fact that Robert Patrick's image was from the cop that the T-1000 first impersonated. Not the person who made the T-1000.

I was thinking that too, such a joke.

Advertisement