Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

As every new detail of the film comes out, opinions seem to change.

For me, these new machines, transforminators, those stupid motorbike things, that yolk with the tenticles and the water dwelling machines are really making me skepticle about the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've no doubt it will be a decent brainless action film but Terminator deserves a lot more than that and I would be expecting the same. T3 as a movie in itself was OK, as the latest installment in that franchise it was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What I don't understand is that given it is still early days after J day, why does Skynet Seem to have more advanced machines than seen in any of the previous Terminator instalments. I know that Given all the time travel and whatnot, that things don't need to add up, but this is a Major hole. Skynet can't just have some class machine's that it has just never had!

Personally I really dislike McG's movies so I am not happy he is directing, he likes movies to be to glossy and fake. What I really love about the Terminator Franchise is I can imagine in my own ming that sort of thing happening, I think McG will screw that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What I don't understand is that given it is still early days after J day, why does Skynet Seem to have more advanced machines than seen in any of the previous Terminator instalments. I know that Given all the time travel and whatnot, that things don't need to add up, but this is a Major hole. Skynet can't just have some class machine's that it has just never had!

Michael Bay set a new industry standard with the revolutionary forumula that explosions multiplied by large objects (thus creating larger explosions) = $$$

Stuff that's not even meant to blow up with probably blow up in Terminator Salvation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Michael Bay set a new industry standard with the revolutionary forumula that explosions multiplied by large objects (thus creating larger explosions) = $$$

Stuff that's not even meant to blow up with probably blow up in Terminator Salvation.

Basically Homer with Cornflakes.

At least back in the day they used real fire for explosions, now you see CGI Fire!!! That's not cool like!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be honest, the whole affair looks so by-the-numbers I don't expect to enjoy it as anything more than a generic SFX actioner with pretences to seriousness that just come off as cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I am not sure I understand where you are coming from. Yes, this film takes place after Judgment Day, before Reese goes back in time. Arnie's Terminator, the T-800, has not been invented yet. It is suggested by the trailers that Skynet are
    kidnapping humans to develop their 'skin-growing' technology
    thus keeping the technology in check.

Also, if you look at the trailers,
    you see that the rubber-skinned Terminators, mentioned in the first film, are present.
    This seems to be in line with the technology of the universe too.

As for the big Transformers Terminators, the Water things and the bikes, call it Creative Freedom or something. If it makes the film better, I'm all for them.

What annoys me is that there's no sign of phased plasma rifles in the 40KW range :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Will i go see it?....yes
    Why?....fan of the movies/series...i have VERY low expectations and expect going in it'll be crap.
    So anything after that is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

dancing is fun

post apocylyptic will be an interesting change of scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Eh, why can't Skynet have class machines it has never had before? You know this movie is in THE FUTURE right? So it is after all other Terminator installments and thus should have more advanced machines.

The machines we've seen in the trailers are all fairly feasible once you consider that Artificial Intelligence is at the cognitive level, so really you just have a motorbike with a brain, a tank with legs that has a brain.

The fact that one of these more advanced machines hasn't been sent back in a previous Terminator installment must be considered as them not being very inconspicuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Personally I really dislike McG's movies so I am not happy he is directing, he likes movies to be to glossy and fake. What I really love about the Terminator Franchise is I can imagine in my own ming that sort of thing happening, I think McG will screw that up.

You can imagine in your own mind that a Cyborg from the future, that is made from liquid metal and can reform itself even having been blown into a million pieces, will time travel to the present day to alter future timelines?

But you cannot imagine in your own mind the plot of We Are Marshall (a fairly soundly based storyline by anyones standards)?

I think you should consider taking people on the internet less at face value, they appear to be distorting your ability to think for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So I noticed that the book of the movie is out - bit strange given movie not released yet, has anybody read it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I've only just watched the first terminator there a few days ago and aim to watch the other 2 before I see this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I can't wait for this to come out! I plan to watch all the previous ones before I go see it! At the moment T2 is my favourite but I'm hoping that'll change once I see this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Terminator 18s
    Terminator 2 15s
    Terminator 3 12s
    Terminator 4 PG13 (In America, most likely 12s in Ireland)

No thanks.

The PG13 rating for T4 is something which can easily be explained. The first two films were set in the modern world and as such most of the violence was agianst humans. Part 4 is set in the future and as such the vast majority of the violence will be against the machines so there won't be much blood or gore.

The PG13 rating for T4 is something which can easily be explained. The first two films were set in the modern world and as such most of the violence was agianst humans. Part 4 is set in the future and as such the vast majority of the violence will be against the machines so there won't be much blood or gore.

pfft. I dont buy that. I think this was gonna be a PG13 movie from the off set, regardless of what Mc G will tell us. The original movies were dark and aimed at an adult audience. This movie is kids friendly to make more money. If a director was given free reign (with no interference from the studios in regards to the rating) and wanted to be true to the originals, it would be at the very least, 15s.

Its set in the future, during a war between man and machines. That is even more reason for violence surely. I'm sick of toned down sequels to violent 80s movies being released. AVP/Terminator/Die Hard etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

such the vast majority of the violence will be against the machines so there won't be much blood or gore.

Yeah I mean its not like any of us expected to see those concentration camps run by machines nor do we expect to see any human experiments from a plotline that involves the creation of living tissue on a exo skeleton frame.

oh wait.

LOOK SHINY CGI EXPLOSION!

The future! come destroy machines, dont worry though no humans will be harmed during this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Part 4 is set in the future and as such the vast majority of the violence will be against the machines so there won't be much blood or gore.

Think of the machine children!!

For God sake, somebody please think of the machine children! :pac:

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    pfft. I dont buy that. I think this was gonna be a PG13 movie from the off set, regardless of what Mc G will tell us. The original movies were dark and aimed at an adult audience. This movie is kids friendly to make more money. If a director was given free reign (with no interference from the studios in regards to the rating) and wanted to be true to the originals, it would be at the very least, 15s.

Its set in the future, during a war between man and machines. That is even more reason for violence surely. I'm sick of toned down sequels to violent 80s movies being released. AVP/Terminator/Die Hard etc

I agree that the way they tone down violence in sequels to the classics of our childhoods is a crime. Bar Rambo I don't think any other franchise sequel has lived up to the original. They tried it with AVP but forgot that a decent storyline is also need and lets not forget the fact that they forgot to light the sets.

The whole concept of watering down violence in a fiulm in order to release it as a PG13 and then cash in with a lazy unrated version restoring 2 minutes of gore is a joke at this stage. Every film is getting the Unrated treatment and in most cases there is no difference. Max Payne being a rpime example, they added in two swear words and suddenly its the version to extreme for cinemas. The same will ahppen with T4.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Yeah I mean its not like any of us expected to see those concentration camps run by machines nor do we expect to see any human experiments from a plotline that involves the creation of living tissue on a exo skeleton frame.

oh wait.

LOOK SHINY CGI EXPLOSION!

The future! come destroy machines, dont worry though no humans will be harmed during this war.

When T3 was announced Iw as expecting to see the concentration camps and experimentation but after they castrated the franchise with the kiddi friendly violence I gave up all hope of a serious examination of the humans under the machine regime. With that in mind I'v been approaching T4 with the opinion that it's going to be a PG13 and since all the violence seems to be aimed at the machines we can at least expect much gun fire, oil and spare parts to fly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's rubbish!...McG backtracked and CUT the Moon Bloodgood nudie scene to get a 12A/PG13 rating...he caved, he backtracked...he lied!

It's rubbish!...McG backtracked and CUT the Moon Bloodgood nudie scene to get a 12A/PG13 rating...he caved, he backtracked...he lied!

I really don't mind if he cuts a nude scene to get a PG13, it's the violence I would be more concerned with.

Edit: 5,000 post. WOOT!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I'm of course hoping the film turns out to be good, but to reflect briefly on the rating issue: The Tim Burton movies were both rated 15 on release, while Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both 12s. It's not automatically an indication that things have been drastically toned down.

Still, fingers crossed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Driver 8 wrote: »
    I'm of course hoping the film turns out to be good, but to reflect briefly on the rating issue: The Tim Burton movies were both rated 15 on release, while Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both 12s. It's not automatically an indication that things have been drastically toned down.

It's all Bale's fault! He gets all the swearing and bloodshed out behind the scenes and has nonthing left for the finished product!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm a huge terminator fan, and I've got high hopes for this. From all the reading I've done it seems this film has taken a nice turn, and theres plenty of suprises. Anything with Christian Bale in it these days is golden..(Has a new film with johhny depp coming here soon which is awesome)

Nothing was ever going to top T2, and thats what happens with alot of franchises, actors and directors hit a peak in a franchise or their career and it will not be matched.

Its similar to the alien franchise. Aliens was a smashing film, with actors at the peak of their powers with a director full of confidence, everything after wasnt the same.

I never understand how directors can **** up films that are put onto a platter. This is a film that has been hyped up since Terminators original release, with millions begging " omg I cannot wait to see a film telling us about the future"

If memory serves me correct Bale has signed up for THREE terminators. I'm looking forward to it, I'm one of the few who didnt take T3 as an entire disaster, on its own was a decent flick but i just didnt like the route they took with the plot.

I honestly do not think I can be let down by this film, because at the end of the day it has the most horrifying villian in cinema I've ever seen.

to this day in any film I've seen, nothing has freaked me out more so then the thought of a machine nearly indestructable, disguised as a human, hunting you down...and the motha ****a doesnt even need sleep... :O

Driver 8 wrote: »

The difference is that the original Batman movies werent exactly violent - so a 15s rating wasnt neccesary to stay true to them. Also, the recent Batman movies are a reboot of the series and have nothing to do with Burtons attempts.

Terminator 4 on the other hand, is a direct sequel. The originals were bloody, violent, adult movies. I dont see how they can have that sort of violence and still get a 12s cert. How many war movies do you know that are 12s ?

Its plain to see that this was/is 12s to make more money. Of course the director and everyone else will deny it to the hilt, but its obvious.

I expect good effects, good performances and probably a decent leave your brain at the door blockbuster. But an installment that does justice to one of the best science fiction movies of all time ? Dont think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Apart from one or two moments, T2 isn't that bloody or violent, but I understand what you mean in terms of the original Terminator.

A decent leave your brain at the door blockbuster is actually nothing to be ashamed of in a summer that's already given us Wolverine and Angels & Demons :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

I'm really really looking forward to T4, and over the last two days I've rewatched all three previous films. I just finished watching T2 and that film is still amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm really really looking forward to T4, and over the last two days I've rewatched all three previous films. I just finished watching T2 and that film is still amazing.

+1. Can't wait for this to come out, have big expectations for it coz T3 was so poor. T2 still the best by far.

Advertisement