Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

nix wrote: »
    Whats the rating on it over here btw anybody know? PG im guessing :P

It's rated 12 for Intense sci-fi action and weapons violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Cant wait to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

MASSIVE SPOILERS - for those that haven't heard there's a
    returning appeareance of a certain someone

Don't blame me if you click but have a look yourself. Personally,
    looks quite videogamey

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=16724

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Terminator deserves a lot more than to be reduced to a mindless trainwreck where things go bang
    Obviously Hollywood didn't think so.

T2 was one of, if not the, greatest action flicks ever. It just could not be bettered so T3 was always gonna be a damp squid.

Incidentally, anyone ever been on the T2 attraction in Orlando or LA? It has 10mins of footage with Arnie and Edward Furlong obviously filmed around the T2 time and the 10min movie is far more entertaining than the whole T3 movie. Dont understand why couldn't they have take it down that route with the original crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

The last 10-15 mins of Terminator 3 is at least interesting, whatever about the rest of it.

And Edward Furlong always got on my nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Savman wrote: »
    Obviously Hollywood didn't think so.

T2 was one of, if not the, greatest action flicks ever. It just could not be bettered so T3 was always gonna be a damp squid.

Incidentally, anyone ever been on the T2 attraction in Orlando or LA? It has 10mins of footage with Arnie and Edward Furlong obviously filmed around the T2 time and the 10min movie is far more entertaining than the whole T3 movie. Dont understand why couldn't they have take it down that route with the original crew.

Yeah pretty sure i was in that, wasn't their people scaling down from the ceiling with ropes, and a big screen with a baddass robot at the end? Was a good few years ago so memory is a bit hazey but i remember loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Driver 8 wrote: »
    The last 10-15 mins of Terminator 3 is at least interesting, whatever about the rest of it.

And Edward Furlong always got on my nerves.

Yeh he sounded like a Squeaky toy when he shouted in T2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well I just heard a review on Newstalk that kind of calmed me. He didn't fawn over it and he did say that some of it was confusing. But he also said that if you know the franchise well enough and know the mythos then you should find it very satisfying.

Sam gets another shout too for being the show-stealer.

EDIT Scratch that, Ebert hates it.:pac:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/905199991
    "I would have enjoyed traveling forward through time for two hours, starting just before I saw the movie."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It sounds like garbage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And yet ... we'll probably all end up seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Well I just heard a review on Newstalk that kind of calmed me. He didn't fawn over it and he did say that some of it was confusing. But he also said that if you know the franchise well enough and know the mythos then you should find it very satisfying.

Sam gets another shout too for being the show-stealer.

EDIT Scratch that, Ebert hates it.:pac:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/905199991
    "I would have enjoyed traveling forward through time for two hours, starting just before I saw the movie."
    AFAIR Ebert has never seen The Terminator or maybe he admitted to never seeing it on release. Some critic he is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

KerranJast wrote: »
    AFAIR Ebert has never seen The Terminator or maybe he admitted to never seeing it on release. Some critic he is.
    The link is broken but if you go to his site the T4 review clearly states that he had never seen T1 but saw T2 and thought it a great movie, so he's not the total Ivory Tower snob in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Terminator 4 is apparently a terrible movie? Gee, what a shocker! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

basquille wrote: »
    Terminator 4 is apparently a terrible movie? Gee, what a shocker! :rolleyes:

"Terminator 4 in terrible movie shocker!" - Says The Sun :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    And yet ... we'll probably all end up seeing it.

"a fool and his money is soon parted" - Says Fox Studios executive :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

pixelburp wrote: »
    The link is broken but if you go to his site the T4 review clearly states that he had never seen T1 but saw T2 and thought it a great movie, so he's not the total Ivory Tower snob in fairness.

I'm 99% sure I saw a video clip of him and the other fella (the dead one?) reviewing the Terminator back in 84. Ebert said he liked it but the dead fella didn't.

Or maybe it was the other way around..

Typically, I can't find the link now.

It is mentioned on the Wikipedia entry for the Terminator though

"The Terminator was a low-budget movie, at roughly $6.4 million, which turned out to be a box-office hit, earning $38,371,200 domestically. The film went on to gross more than $78 million worldwide.[8] The film has received mostly positive reviews. On At the Movies with Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert, Ebert gave the film "thumbs up" and described it as very violent, sometimes sadistic, yet solid action picture. Siskel gave the film "thumbs down." "

So i'm not mad, but Ebert obviously is getting a bit forgetful. I'm seeing lots of hot air about this online, but the guy obviously has seen it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We went to see it last night, have to say it's great!!!! Nothing will compare to the first two but it is totally different from the third movie! Much darker and a little bit scary! The action is great and while it may not be a classic like the first ones it gets very very close to recapturing the essence of the first movies! Brilliant popcorn movie, think you guys will love t!
    Watch out for Arnie in it, very realistic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Linguo wrote: »
    We went to see it last night, have to say it's great!!!! Nothing will compare to the first two but it is totally different from the third movie! Much darker and a little bit scary! The action is great and while it may not be a classic like the first ones it gets very very close to recapturing the essence of the first movies! Brilliant popcorn movie, think you guys will love t!

Watch out for Arnie in it, very realistic!!

I'll be willing to let that spoiler slide due to your positive review.:D

I don't care what critics say, they don't dictate to me what I should and shouldn't like. And after the reviewer on The Right Hook said you'll enjoy it if you undestand the mythos, I'm confident I will enjoy this movie. And not cynical for the sake of being cynical.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Didn't realise this was out so soon. I know what film I'm not going to see this weekend now *cough*star trek*cough*. :D

Edit: Just noticed it's out 5th of june, how did you see it so soon Linguo ? Launch showing was it ?

Yeah saw press screening last night, great excuse to see movies! Sorry for giving a spoiler!!

Read rotten tomatoes reviews today, very harsh! I think critics get far too snobby about movies sometimes, it's not perfect, but everyone always has their own ideal vision of a movie so you can't please everyone 100%!

It's a great action movie though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was at the press screening. Thought some of the action scenes were decent but it was dumber than a plank of wood and the plot got really silly towards the end and it used a few devices from the old films that weren't handled very well or had been seen before. Not bad, but not great. Christian Bale was dreadful in it though. My main problem is that it's a dumb action film and not a great sci-fi film with good action scenes.

OK, is this division of opinion based on whether you're a fan of the franchise?...as in if you love Terminator you'll "get it" and like it, non fans or neutral observers dislike it etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I think some Terminator fans are going overboard and saying things like "Terminator is about the story, not the action", STFU it's all about the action, but it has to be well-crafted action sequences (the dam chase in T2) with characters we're invested in. Seems like they've missed the boat in those respects but I'll wait and see. I simply think you can't do Terminator without Cameron though, and if you're going to you need directors of a higher calibre than McG and Mostow, I mean seriously wtf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well if you like actions scenes strung together by a silly plot then you will like it. However some of the action scenes are great and some are crap, it's 50:50

I also like the first 2 terminator films but I'm nowhere near an obsessive fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well if you like actions scenes strung together by a silly plot then you will like it. However some of the action scenes are great and some are crap, it's 50:50

I also like the first 2 terminator films but I'm nowhere near an obsessive fan.

The plot was pretty silly in every other Terminator film to be fair!

Haven't seen this movie but highly doubt I will dislike it.

Draupnir wrote: »
    The plot was pretty silly in every other Terminator film to be fair!

Haven't seen this movie but highly doubt I will dislike it.

Maybe but this one is pants on head retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I will have to go and see it, however I think it might be pretty crap.
    NOTHING will live up to the 1984 original, so a little bit of leeway
    will be given on my behalf:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Outlawnoob

Can someone Explain to me how John Connor could have possibly been born in the first place to warrant the Terminator to be sent back in time to stop it?

:confused:

I don't know if people will like Bale as John Connor, he's still in Batman mode so is a little wooden! I wouldnt have chosen him for the role personally but some people may disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Outlawnoob wrote: »
    Can someone Explain to me how John Connor could have possibly been born in the first place to warrant the Terminator to be sent back in time to stop it?

:confused:

Don't try and work out the Terminator timeline, there is no way to do so without getting extremely frustrated followed by one's head exploding!

Advertisement