Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC’s ‘Ashes to Ashes’

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

More updates :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk16/unplaced.shtml#unplaced_ashes

It's definite for week 16, just no specific date or time during that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Confirmed as back on Monday nights at 9, starting on the 20th April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk16/unplaced.shtml#unplaced_ashes

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers Arthur Daley.. marked that in my TV calendar anyways.

Speaking of which... never seen this clip before:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Fun clip, but I have a question - how does Gene know enough about Aled Jones is in 1982 to use him as a reference when threatening someone with castration?

The kid didn't record his first album til 1983, and didn't have a hit record until Christmas 1985...

(I appreciate the whole A2A/Top Gear timing anomaly, but I'm picky, ok? :) )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

2fivers wrote: »
    Fun clip, but I have a question - how does Gene know enough about Aled Jones is in 1982 to use him as a reference when threatening someone with castration?

The kid didn't record his first album til 1983, and didn't have a hit record until Christmas 1985...

Perhaps he'd seen one of his early live performances?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Aled Jones sung on the Snowman soundtrack in 1982......I suspect Hunt was engineering those sessions.....or some other daft answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Aled Jones sung on the Snowman soundtrack in 1982......I suspect Hunt was engineering those sessions.....or some other daft answer.

No he didn't. Peter Auty sang on that soundtrack.

Aled Jones' cover of walking in the air didn't come out until 1985. Damn good effort at an answer though. Nice and ridiculous, as befitting A2A. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

for all those ashes to ashes fans it has defently been 100% confirmed,its finaly back to our screens on the 20 of april (monday) 2100-2200 for series 2

__________________________________________________________________________________

OFF THE RECORD ON THE QT AND VERY HUSH HUSH
    (LA Confidential 1997)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bumpity-bump.

9 pm. :)

• Advertisement

Well, first episode over. My opinion : I dunno :D, I thought it was good overall, a bit darker than the last series, and if that is a good idea time will tell. Life on mars was a bit darker too than series one of AOA so some similarity there. The soundtrack could have been a bit better I thought too :D. Other than that, great to see the gene genie back on the tv!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wasn't too impressed myself!

Reminded me why I didn't enjoy the first season as much as 'Life on Mars' (I know I shouldn't typically compare them but can't help it), Gene Hunt isn't nearly as funny or interesting as he once was. He now seems like a caricature of his character and he's either playing up or playing down (that woeful "don't die Sally" sequence).

Maybe it'll improve but it definitely lacked a spark!

basquille wrote: »
    Wasn't too impressed myself!

Reminded me why I didn't enjoy the first season as much as 'Life on Mars' (I know I shouldn't typically compare them but can't help it), Gene Hunt isn't nearly as funny or interesting as he once was. He now seems like a caricature of his character and he's either playing up or playing down (that woeful "don't die Sally" sequence).

Maybe it'll improve but it definitely lacked a spark!

I'm choosing to believe it'll get better, the last season didn't have a great start either but I thought it ended well, so fingers crossed...

I suspend all critical faculties and just suck it up myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Was a bit better tonight in terms of the dialogue and grittier feel to the show. It's the first episode of a second series so it's pointless having Alex kidnapped and about to be killed only for Gene to come to her rescue again. I wish they'd stop with these 'dramatic' scenes every single episode.

The 80s sing a long they've put on the red button is a worrying sign.

Gene's delivery of 'get your knickers on you're nicked' a la Jack Regan 1974was more like it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭dave_29

Is it repeated again, as how did i miss it or did i miss much.

How many eps are there?

Well, episode 2 over. I quite enjoyed that actually :D Storyline is filling out a bit better and we had a bit of humour.

God I love "Bollie" (and her expanding arse!). I think we all knew that
    Gene wasn't a flipping squardealer

Haven't seen episode 2 yet, but I thought last weeks episode was a huge improvement in quality. Much better than any of the first series episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just watched episode 1 and while it wasnt up to the standard of the latter half of season 1 (I still think season 1 finale was pure win.) I do find the
    idea of a 2nd person running wild in the 80's coma world from the real world to be pretty cool if they take it to dark places (is it a dark side of her psyche, or another person in a coma? Could it be sam gone bad?)

Main thing I am happy though is it seems to be going with over arcing plotline from the start, season 2 of life of mars suffered from no real direction at the start of season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

have to say alex is looking good.
    also noticed a change in gene,its like as if his is fed up with the coruption in the met

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Enjoyed the second episode a lot more than the first. They've got an interesting arc in there with Gene investing corruption in the Met and, of course, Alex and the shadowy figure from the present. Much more humour this week too - some great Hunt quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I agree completely. I think they've got their mojo back, in a sense; they realised that the 'get me back' thing of Series 1 was all fine and dandy, but that most people really wanted Alex trapped so we could have more Gene Genie.

It's still nothing more than a weak re-tread of Life on Mars, but it's pulled off with a sod of a lot of brio, so i'll forgive it. It's not pretending to be big or clever - it's accented on fun now!

The corruption arc is good; it's not a million miles removed from Vic Mackeys style in The Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

Not really impressed with the new series although I am confident that they will have a good ending for it.

It doesnt look like the American version of Life on Mars will have an ashes to ashes version with Chris and Ray dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

I assume you haven't seen the last Life on Mars U.S. episode then?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ashes threads merged....

Well, I enjoyed that episode. I'm glad that
    the supermac/corruption story arc is finished (well, I think it is)
    and we can concentrate on Alex's story. I do admit to missing Gene's humour from Life on Mars though, he's not as funny in this series :(

But what is Operation Rose?

mike65 wrote: »
    But what is Operation Rose?

A ha, that did pique my interest (I have no idea :D)
    Time travel experiments? I'm randomly guessing now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

I assume you haven't seen the last Life on Mars U.S. episode then?

not yet, its on here in 2 weeks (NZ) looking forward to that since you suggest there is a twist of some sort,im sure it will have/had a different ending to the british one, being honest its not great but i did enjoy the irish episode with tyler pretending to be bono, were the episodes with colm meaney as gene hunt ever shown?

Advertisement