Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Guys,
    I have applied to the Reserve a loooong time ago and went through the process as far as a formal chat with the station's Super,. were i am waiting now to do a medical for probably 14 months. My application is still active but i suspect my security clearance is not quite up to scratch due to a family member. The question is do you receive notification at such a late stage to tell you your application has not been successful or are you just left in suspense or can vetting take over a year. any thoughts welcome..Thanks
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

on standby wrote: »
    Guys,
    I have applied to the Reserve a loooong time ago and went through the process as far as a formal chat with the station's Super,. were i am waiting now to do a medical for probably 14 months. My application is still active but i suspect my security clearance is not quite up to scratch due to a family member. The question is do you receive notification at such a late stage to tell you your application has not been successful or are you just left in suspense or can vetting take over a year. any thoughts welcome..Thanks
    :confused:

To answer you question on the vetting, if your application is still live, well yes it can take up to a year or more. Depends if some of your relatives are living abroad and so on, my advise to you is to contact your local serg. or super (depends on who you have the best relationship with) and ask them their advise. Simply put it to them that you may feel one of your family members might be holding your GR2 form clearance and if that is so, when can you expect an answer on your application statis. But, if your family member is just in trouble with the law (public order or just a messer) and not a hard line criminal or in an outlawed organisation you should be ok because they are really only concerned with you. I know many regulars and reserves that waited much more that a year. Also, the medical is the very last thing you do, so they just might be waiting for the next intake to conduct the medical. I think the next intake is in march 09 so expect some news mid feb 09. Good luck, it's wellllll worth it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

God they are fairly going at my application,

Was back in with them yesterday. Fella in the public relations office taking details about all my family, cousins and their ages and if they have been in trouble with the law. Anyone else go through this?? Whats next? They go into some detail.I left a lot out because my dad and some of his siblings dont get on so I have never met them (dont know if they are marrried, with kids, etc).

Do they go and do a check on the whole lot now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

on standby wrote: »
    My application is still active but i suspect my security clearance is not quite up to scratch due to a family member.

Are they allowed refuse you if you have say a cousin or an uncle or even a brother for that matter, who has a criminal record??? How on earth does that issue attach itself to your application??? Some of my mates have relatives that are known to the Gardai but it doesn't mean my mates are anything other than law abiding citizens...

Also, to the folks who have or are currently applying to the GRF, what is motivating you to apply??? Not a trick question, just I wouldn't be applying if you put a gun to my head and I genuinely can't understand why people would apply to be in a Garda Reserve Force, especially in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

To apply for reserves you have to log in to your public jobs account first...im just after trying it and i can get the application form!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

works for me too, but I had to use Internet Explorer - didn't work too well on firefox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

i just was talking to someone in the vetting office and was told that there have being working on my file since dec and that they already have contact my refer.s. does anyone know how long this usual takes and and what happens next:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sallies23

TheNog wrote: »
    Sallie will you let us know how you get on with getting permission to take a year out. Would be interesting to know

Hi TheNog

Yes I will do, hopefully it would be allowed but I will let you know when I find out.
    I really really want to join the reserves, there is a good chance that I will be made redundant in my job next year which could give me the opportunity to head off for a year and ride out the recession for a while.
    Though if GS have a recruitment drive before then that could change depending how the reserves go for me.
    I will see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Manwise Bumwell

anyone know when the next intake is? im waiting on the interview with the superintendent and medical. applied last march and had the first interview and test last september passed that. got a phonecall from the local sergeant who said i would be called for the next interview in a week, thing is that was a month ago. anyone elso waiting so long?
    :P

Have you filled in and submitted your GR8?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Manwise Bumwell

stiofanD wrote: »
    Have you filled in and submitted your GR8?

gr8???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 s-specter-k

hi there,
    just wondering has anyone completed the medical examination for the reserves, i'm due mine in a few weeks and im curious to know what is involved in it ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

hi there,
    just wondering has anyone completed the medical examination for the reserves, i'm due mine in a few weeks and im curious to know what is involved in it ???

Go to the medical tread for the full time guards, I done both and there was no differences.

gr8???:confused:

The GR8 is the background check form. You're normally sent it a week or so after passing the interview/written test. Its a big long form where you have to supply the names/addressses/ages of all your family members.

If you haven't received that yet, then get on to the Garda Reserve office ASAP, because you won't progress any further until the background checks are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

stiofanD wrote: »
    The GR8 is the background check form. You're normally sent it a week or so after passing the interview/written test. Its a big long form where you have to supply the names/addressses/ages of all your family members.

If you haven't received that yet, then get on to the Garda Reserve office ASAP, because you won't progress any further until the background checks are done.

GR2 form isn't it? unless they changed it.

GR2 form isn't it? unless they changed it.

Absolutely right - mea culpa. Not sure where I got GR8 from :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Blackwall

Can you e-mail the Garda Reserve office to find out the current status of your application or can you only phone them about it ?

I don't see why not - I've always got a response when I've emailed them (on gardareserve at garda dot ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

Hey does anyone know the figures on the percent of candidates that are successful in getting into the garda reserves? I know it says the minimum age is 18,which I am and am nearly 19 but do they usually accept 18 year olds? Finally does anyone know what's involved in the screening process? Thank you in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

is it still possible to apply? publicjobs thing says it expired

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

curtain twitchers were are you from delvin.
    dont be putting down the reserves these are people
    giving up there own time to give assistance to gardai
    we should at least get some appriciation now
    f ck o f sh t he d :mad::mad::mad:

Agreed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Infraction given.

Folks we will not tolerate any abuse towards other posters. If you have a problem with a particular post, please report that post and it will be dealt with accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Straighttalker

i was not insulting anyone. just giving my observations. it was also clear that this did not apply to all members of the gr. i also said that they lead to increased no's (increased visibility). your comment was unneeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

i was not insulting anyone. just giving my observations. it was also clear that this did not apply to all members of the gr. i also said that they lead to increased no's (increased visibility). your comment was unneeded.

it was NOT clear, you said 2 types, ur were rude no excuse for it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

im in the same situation as zone.

what way do i recive my offer. the waiting just seems to be endless

if someone could help me out with when i should hear back

I first applied in December 2007 had interview January 2008

Sent in my security check forms had my meeting with local sergent in may 08

then met with supeintendant early decmber 08

What should i hear of next and do i still have a long way to??

I have rang many times but there not aloowed give out much information

hope someone can shed light on the situation i am in

i so want to start im crawling the walls at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

im in the same situation as zone.

what way do i recive my offer. the waiting just seems to be endless

if someone could help me out with when i should hear back

I first applied in December 2007 had interview January 2008

Sent in my security check forms had my meeting with local sergent in may 08

then met with supeintendant early decmber 08

What should i hear of next and do i still have a long way to??

I have rang many times but there not aloowed give out much information

hope someone can shed light on the situation i am in

i so want to start im crawling the walls at the moment

You'll get a phone call about the medical and if there is any problems with your background checks they will phone you to clarify the discrepancies if they arise,other than that it is unfortunately a waiting game :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

This is what i am worried about my security checks where sent in early may 08 and i still havent heard anything back.

I come from quite a rough area in dublin with many of the residents in my flat complex been in prison at some stage of there lives

however i have never been involved with the law with the exception of minor stuff like playing football on private property astro turf pitches

at my meeting my superintendant was quite pleased and said for me not to worry.

Yet i am still waiting, im dreading the phone call but wanting it to come at the same time also.

Do you think this is whats holding my application up as it seems not much people ever wait more than a year and 3 months before they even get word of been accepted????

My family have no convictions and i do community work plus im attending university at the moment so hopefuly all of this will go in my favour

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

This is what i am worried about my security checks where sent in early may 08 and i still havent heard anything back.

I come from quite a rough area in dublin with many of the residents in my flat complex been in prison at some stage of there lives

however i have never been involved with the law with the exception of minor stuff like playing football on private property astro turf pitches

at my meeting my superintendant was quite pleased and said for me not to worry.

Yet i am still waiting, im dreading the phone call but wanting it to come at the same time also.

Do you think this is whats holding my application up as it seems not much people ever wait more than a year and 3 months before they even get word of been accepted????

My family have no convictions and i do community work plus im attending university at the moment so hopefuly all of this will go in my favour

Relax :) everyone's checks take different amounts of times and if there was any problems they'd have contacted you by now so as they say no news is good news.
    You could try contacting your local stations Sgt who is in charge of your application and see can he tell you anything further :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Rather than look back on 128 pages, I'll ask some Q's about the GR
    1) Am i correct that It looks like a 3mth timescale from acceptance thru medical to training ?
    2) What is the training period and what do you get paid during training ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

Hi everyone, due to my background check being sent to the wrong station my application was delayed and i missed the feb intake in templemore. from reading the posts the next intake is 18th april?? can anyone else confirm that, also do they write to you for the medical or is it by e mail.??Thanks,:D

Advertisement