Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

need some advice, I have my interview this wednesday. I have just completed my leaving cert. but failed maths. Im in the process of having it rechecked but I wont find out what the results are for another few weeks. will it be a major issue? Will i still be eligable for the reserve? i know maths are a requirement for the gaurds and the reserve. worst case scenario i may have to repeat maths next year but will this affect my application as i actually applied before i had my leaving cert. Im not unintelligent just maths is my downfall as I had a teacher who would constantly not turn up and or be late for classes for 2 years. any advice would be much appreciated. - Phil

Candidate must have obtained, in the Leaving Certificate Examination: (a) A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics

Won't be apply to go forward until you pass maths, best bet is to ring PAS and say it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

need some advice, I have my interview this wednesday. I have just completed my leaving cert. but failed maths. Im in the process of having it rechecked but I wont find out what the results are for another few weeks. will it be a major issue? Will i still be eligable for the reserve? i know maths are a requirement for the gaurds and the reserve. worst case scenario i may have to repeat maths next year but will this affect my application as i actually applied before i had my leaving cert. Im not unintelligent just maths is my downfall as I had a teacher who would constantly not turn up and or be late for classes for 2 years. any advice would be much appreciated. - Phil

Don't worry about the Maths for the Reserve's as some folk haven't even done the Leaving and they got an exemption from HR, no problem.

freddiew wrote: »
    Don't worry about the Maths for the Reserve's as some folk haven't even done the Leaving and they got an exemption from HR, no problem.

Alright Fred,

Thats only for the Reserve as some of the people applying are in they're 40's/50's, and may have never done the leaving cert. From a time when many people never completed the leaving cert. But that doesn't apply to people in late teens/20's/30's where having the leaving cert is a given or another recognised exam from the republic or abroad.

As I said, the Reserves, you may get Leaving Cert. exemption, I know two guys in their late 20s & 30s that got exemption for the Reserves. I am not talking about the Full time force. I am talking about the Reserves in case there is any misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Manwise Bumwell i know how you feel, having had the same teacher and been in your class, i was lucky to pass maths by the skin of my teeth

Give PAS a shout and see what the craic is

• Advertisement

As I said, the Reserves, you may get Leaving Cert. exemption, I know two guys in their late 20s & 30s that got exemption for the Reserves. I am not talking about the Full time force. I am talking about the Reserves in case there is any misunderstanding.

Like the only reason someone would get exempted is if they had international qualifications or had other sort of Irish qualification. The guy here Manwise is just out of Secondary school, I doubt he has other qualifications yet (could be wrong). When they say on the website that you need a certain grade in Maths, they wouldn't say that for no reason if you could just get an exemption anyway.
    But I'm open to correction, thats the impression I'm under.

Anyway, how are things going with you? Did you come back and finish Phase 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

Hi,
    You can get an exemption but you do need something to show you are not too uneducated, if you had further education that MAY be as good as a leaving cert, but if you have nothing at all that would be a different situation, I stand to be corrected.

I think the Garda reserve is a very positive thing and good luck to all.

Like the only reason someone would get exempted is if they had international qualifications or had other sort of Irish qualification. The guy here Manwise is just out of Secondary school, I doubt he has other qualifications yet (could be wrong). When they say on the website that you need a certain grade in Maths, they wouldn't say that for no reason if you could just get an exemption anyway.
    But I'm open to correction, thats the impression I'm under.

Anyway, how are things going with you? Did you come back and finish Phase 3?

Yes, finished my 40 hours and waiting for Graduation date hopefully September. There is a guy I know in Reserves that only did his Inter. Cert, no other education but a good employment record and he was accepted for RESERVES. I rest my case.

Yes, finished my 40 hours and waiting for Graduation date hopefully September. There is a guy I know in Reserves that only did his Inter. Cert, no other education but a good employment record and he was accepted for RESERVES. I rest my case.

Ah cool, enjoying it do far?

The fact that you say inter-cert means it was a long time ago and as I said earlier, people from that "generation" can get exempt. When people only getting the inter-cert was the norm. The exemption is there because the age range in the Reserve is a lot higher and many people applying mightn't of got the opportunity to obtain a grade listed in the entry requirements when they were in school.
    And I doubt a guy just out of secondary school will have a good employment record.

I know exemptions happen in the Reserve but we are talking about a guy 18/19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Manwise Bumwell

anyone any idea how long the medical is after the interview?. did mine last wednesday week and im fairly confident that i passed it. also anyone have any clue when the next intake is, just out of cusiosity.

• Advertisement

i asked about getting an exemption from maths but only so that i can repeat it next year and from my understanding of the situation the superindtendant in the interview said that it would be no problem...he also made fun of my dentures...sap...

Ha ha ha ha you got dentures?? Gis a go!

Your only getting in cause your famous!

Well done mate, ill see ya in there!

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha you got dentures?? Gis a go!

Your only getting in cause your famous!

Well done mate, ill see ya in there!

dont get ahead of yourself sunshine, who said i was sharing my teeth? cause i am... and what do you mean im only getting in cause im famous. famous my hole, if i do get in its cause im a fine upstanding citizen with excellent posture. any idea when your interview is?:D (im using the smily with the big teeth for a reason )

The blatant lies in your above post are baffaling lol

Nah havnt a clue when it is, only returned the form to them this week

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    The blatant lies in your above post are baffaling lol

Nah havnt a clue when it is, only returned the form to them this week

i may have bent the truth somewhat

Artistic licence, p**ck artistic licence :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Dont we all from time to time after all they are only white ones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Hi guys,
    It has been a while since i have posted here and i have not read to far back on the posts but I am curious to see if i can find anyone in the same predicument as myself. I applied to join the reserve in aug 2006 and with a slow take off i passed my interview and exam. After a number of months i met up with my local super who was down to earth and a very nice bloke. He did not see any reason why i should not participate in the reserve and i walked away with a good feeling. The following morning i was asked to meet with the super for a second time. I was told he forgot to cover a particular area. That particular area was one of my brothers who is known to the garda. I kind of expected this issue to be brought up on the first meeting with the super but was glad it was brought up anyway and we had a good chat. I condem any of my brothers actions which have brought his attention to the gardai. To date i have had no conclusion to my application and i have been in touch with the park on numerous occassions. has anybody else experienced this or know anyone else who have experienced this

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

Hey... congrats.... When did you apply for the reserves??

Hey TK, I applied June 07, had med in May but took since yesterday to get confirmation I'd passed ! Happy Days ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sallies23

Hi all
    I am new to this thread, long time follower of the Garda Recruitment thread having been a half a kilo short on my PCT this year.
    Anyway I have a query if anyone could help me with. I am going to apply for the GR, application nearly ready to go, my query is that I am thinking now about going travelling in early 2010 maybe 6 months to a year. If I was lucky enough to make it into the Garda Reseves and completed the traning and all, what is the policy with taking time out ?
    I am fully commited to getting into the main force before I am 30 I hope, ( was told by PAS it could be a while before next recruitment campaign hence why I am thinking of going travelling ) I just don't want to destroy my chances.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 donal1234

hi donal 1234 are those dates for phase 1
    Yes,I called the office as I had laser treatment done to my eyes and I wanted to know if I would be in time.donal1234:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,

Succesfull has been banned for at least 10 days from this forum for attempting to sell copyrighted material despite a warning from Chief and I have given a warning to one poster who breached the forum charter by mentioning this product and where it came from. Any further breaches of the charter will be dealt with fairly but please keep in mind the charter is there to protect users and boards.ie.

If you feel a poster is trolling, spamming (in this case) or breaching the charter in any way please use the Report button. It can be found on each post on the bottom left, third one in. Myself and the Mods can then review it and take action if needed.

thanks

TheNog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Hi lads

Have a question here. I'm 25 strong and fit man that wants to join the force. Dont think the medical exam will be big bother. Problem is I'm lithuanian national and I think you need to have more than 5 years residency in Ireland. Could that be a problem because I'm here just for 2 and a half? Newertheless gona give a shot next week in my first interwiev.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

PeterLT wrote: »
    Hi lads

Have a question here. I'm 25 strong and fit man that wants to join the force. Dont think the medical exam will be big bother. Problem is I'm lithuanian national and I think you need to have more than 5 years residency in Ireland. Could that be a problem because I'm here just for 2 and a half? Newertheless gona give a shot next week in my first interwiev.

Thanks

Peter you must have been a resident of Ireland for at least 4 years. Check the link

http://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/default.asp?JobID=1811&hdnJobID=1104&hdndest=JOBDETAILS&hdnLang=&hdnSource=HOME&hdnmode=VIEW&hdnauth=admin&hdnGUID=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dapho3

Hey, I appied a good while ago and kind of forgot about it but then was called to meet with my local super, when I went along he said I had a very good chance of getting through quickly but at the time i was due to move to dublin so he said he would forward on my application....since then I've not heard anything back, does anyone know who I should get in contact with to see what the story is with my application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

dapho3 wrote: »
    Hey, I appied a good while ago and kind of forgot about it but then was called to meet with my local super, when I went along he said I had a very good chance of getting through quickly but at the time i was due to move to dublin so he said he would forward on my application....since then I've not heard anything back, does anyone know who I should get in contact with to see what the story is with my application?

You can try getting onto the Garda Reserve office in Phoenix Park Dublin and follow it up with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I put my name down a couple of months ago. I'm hoping the cinema adverts mean a recruitment drive is on the way! I've never seen that before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hi i applied in oct 2007.... Im waiting on my backround checks since the start of march.... Im still waiting on a call for my medical... Just woundering if anyone have medicals coming up before Phase 1 on Nov 29th Im still hoping ill get the call before then :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

hello everyone,long time since i've written here.i applied back in feb.o7 and have met the inspector and last week met the super.so hoping it won't be long till the medical,hopefully.now just to inform anyone who may have not put all details of any convictions on their application form and just to forewarn anyone who is going to apply,then make sure you put them in,as i found out.i met the super last thursday and first thing he pulled me on was an assault case i was involved in 14 years ago.i was assaulted in my home town and the case went to court.i genuinely believed that after 5 years that it came of the system but obviously not,so be warned anyone who may have left things like that out and have your story straight if you happen to get pulled on it.all the best to all already in and those who are waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

I applied about 4 weeks ago and i have my interview on thurs 27th.I spoke to a number of sergeant's about it and they all said i should do fine , my current job brings me in close contact with them so i would be known to them all ( in a good way)......:D

Advertisement