Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The A/R Off Topic Thread

• 23-03-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

This is something that was suggested by Dev, he reckons that some of teh "serious" forums benifit from an of topic banter thread where we can just talk crap.

Now I don't think you lot need an excuse to talk crap but we'll throw this up and if it works it'll hang around and if not it'll sink :)

So what do you want to talk about? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Running?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

How to eliminate the thoughts of "I want to run" every time I sit down to study...

Stupid exams. At least they'll be done on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

...so how far off topic do we go??
    Or is the aim just to have the banter as if we were in the pub? If that's the case i'm bringing the laptop to the nearest bar with WiFi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

off topic eh? okay...

didnt go running tonight...wont go running tomorrow. taking a break after connemara.

speaking of the pub belcarra:

im dying for a messy night out! i've been pretty well behaved recently but now that im not in training i think im overdue one of those stupid, stupid nights i'll regret for months.

i heard on the radio today about a beer festival starting this week in dublin :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well my shoulder hurts a bit from a dodgy wipeout skiing this morning, I'm currently fixing that problem with some fine Canadian beer and a couple of Advil. :D

Is that un-running related enough for you or do we stilll need to try harder? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Um...I'm still on my post running Connemara holiday from work. Thank god Connemara didn't hurt as much as I thought it would and I can enjoy my days off.

The only other thing other than running I ever talk about is Leeds, I'll start to annoy you eventually. Oooooh I'll be in Leeds on Saturday. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »
    Well my shoulder hurts a bit from a dodgy wipeout skiing this morning, I'm currently fixing that problem with some fine Canadian beer and a couple of Advil. :D

Is that un-running related enough for you or do we stilll need to try harder? ;)
    You're trying a little too hard. Back off a bit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

mp1972 wrote: »
    Um...I'm still on my post running Connemara holiday from work. Thank god Connemara didn't hurt as much as I thought it would and I can enjoy my days off.

The only other thing other than running I ever talk about is Leeds, I'll start to annoy you eventually. Oooooh I'll be in Leeds on Saturday. :D

Leeds, snigger, giggle...

How come you got stuck supporting Leeds?

Leeds, snigger, giggle...

How come you got stuck supporting Leeds?

I wish I knew, then I could try and reverse it :rolleyes:

Would the odd Jedi mind trick or two work? :pac:

• Advertisement

We can try after the third of May I've already booked my trips for the last four home games. :D

She's Leeds, they use teh Dark Side of teh Force.

Speaking of which (kind of) anyone heard anything about the new Star Trek film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

mp1972 wrote: »
    We can try after the third of May I've already booked my trips for the last four home games. :D

wow last 4 home games. Respect. I'm a Leeds fan myself. Lets turn this into another Leeds thread :D .........maybe not.

How about sharing embarressing running stories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Ever notice that cream from a can dissolves quicker in a cup of coffee than real whipped cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

She's Leeds, they use teh Dark Side of teh Force.

Speaking of which (kind of) anyone heard anything about the new Star Trek film?

:mad::mad:What has STAR TREK got to do with STAR WARS???:eek::eek::mad::mad::eek::confused:

HOW DA HELL CAN I REPORT THIS POST?:pac:

accensi0n wrote: »
    Ever notice that cream from a can dissolves quicker in a cup of coffee than real whipped cream?

Heathen! Cream and coffee should never meet! Coffee should be black and strong as hell :p

Heathen! Cream and coffee should never meet! Coffee should be black and strong as hell :p

exactly...although im starting to worry about the ammount of caffine i drink.

my standard order is a grande americano with an extra shot, but the other day in a cafe i ordered that and the guy shouted "four shots americano!" to the other.

four shots! and thats just for starters, i never have just one....

Backtrack, backtrack....

They are both science fiction and I was dragged to see "Marley and me" on Mothers Day (utter cack, btw) and they showed a trailer for the new Star Trek, and teh Star Wars quote reminded me of it...

Anyway I like my coffee to remind me of myself, it has to be strong, dark and sweet...

thick, black and bitter?

uglyjohn wrote: »
    thick, black and bitter?

Like my soul. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I don't know - put a cognac in that coffee and the cream is pretty essential.

I don't know - put a cognac in that coffee and the cream is pretty essential.

i know we are all redundant so they cant really fire me.....but i think thats taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

i know we are all redundant so they cant really fire me.....but i think thats taking the piss

You were able to get some fairly reasonably priced and not that bad cognacs in aldi or lidl a few months back. Not sure if they still have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

They had the dooleys toffee vodka :p in Aldi a while back, beautiful

I don't like coffee and I'm lactose intolerant. I just thought you should know.

It's all about the tay anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

It's all about the tay anyway

Never a truer word spoken: -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

exactly...although im starting to worry about the ammount of caffine i drink.

my standard order is a grande americano with an extra shot, but the other day in a cafe i ordered that and the guy shouted "four shots americano!" to the other.

four shots! and thats just for starters, i never have just one....

There's a lot less caffeine in espresso than percolated coffee so four shots may not even exceed the caffeine in a standard Grande house coffee. I think there's a common misconception regarding getting your caffeine fix and espressos. Here's Starbucks by way of example.

Grande americano w/extra shot 300mg
    Grande brewed 330mg

http://www.energyfiend.com/2007/10/the-complete-guide-to-starbucks-caffeine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You're trying a little too hard. Back off a bit. :D
    Never.

I do think I overdosed a bit on "pain killers" last night though as I now have a bit of a hangover. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Backtrack, backtrack....

They are both science fiction and I was dragged to see "Marley and me" on Mothers Day (utter cack, btw) and they showed a trailer for the new Star Trek, and teh Star Wars quote reminded me of it...

To go back to films, I'm going to "watchmen" tomorrow night.

Anyone seen it, and if so is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Im waiting to hear from my boss to see if I go on a two day week from next Monday on. Although financially it would be a total disaster I cant help but get excited at having all that extra time off as Im starting my marathon training programme from next week.

I need a kick up the arse. :)

There's a lot less caffeine in espresso than percolated coffee so four shots may not even exceed the caffeine in a standard Grande house coffee. I think there's a common misconception regarding getting your caffeine fix and espressos. Here's Starbucks by way of example.

Grande americano w/extra shot 300mg
    Grande brewed 330mg

http://www.energyfiend.com/2007/10/the-complete-guide-to-starbucks-caffeine

Thank God! i thought i'd become immune!

saw it a few weeks back, i really liked it. its a bit slow to get going and you have to pay attention but i thought it was great.

Bally8 wrote: »
    I need a kick up the arse. :)
    *delivers kick up the arse*
    71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

*delivers kick up the arse*
    71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

Ha ha I forgot you were the queen of ass kicking! Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I've seen it twice, its well worth going to. I'd be a big Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons fan, and the book is the better original, the film almost pays it too much homage by nearly going frame-by-frame. Great montage of the start of the masked adventurers from the 50's to the 80's at the beginning.

Its very long though, and I found it longer second time round. Having said that I'll be first in line for the extended DVD when it comes out!

I'd be of similar opinion to dp. Would be curious to have seen it with no historical baggage (been waiting for it for 20 years). I possibly enjoyed 300 more, maybe as I've never read the comic ( I mean Graphic Novel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Went to Cardiff on Saturday via Birmingham and Barry Town, 5 lads, 1 ticket, took about 60mins to obtain the missing links and 17 points, 15 pints and 1 Grand Slam later my track session tonight nearly killed me - almost kept it non running ;)

Yorkie. It's very definitely for girls. :pac:

I think I just undid any benefits I got from my run today.

My two Pavement reissues arrived today, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain & Brighten the Corners. Class :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i think frank sinatra is so overrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Yesterday I booked my tickets for Saint Etienne at Cork opera house, their only Irish gig. Either a coup for Cork or the sign of a band on the slide. I'm going with the former though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Saw Watchmen. Didn't think it was that good. Loved all the blood though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I have to work Saturday :mad:

BTW Watchmen did not live up to expectations. Way too long. Directed well in parts but the sex scene was just random softcore and the gore OTT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I saw slumdog last night and its a good film but the highlight was def the lead actress ;)

Yeah, Freida Pinto's rather good-looking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On the subject of Slumdog - anyone read Q & A? Been meaning to pick it up for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i just got a cheque from revenue for tax relief i havent claimed in a few years and this has finally piad off my new tri bike. Whoop!!

On the cinema front here's a tip - If any of you go to cineworld often on Parnell St get an unlimited voucher from cineworld.co.uk where it costs £11.99 per month (£143.88 for the year) rather than €19.99 (€239.88 for the year)from the irish con-artists. On todays rate its a €85.81 saving over the year! I got the other half and I one as her Xmas pressie and its getting plenty of use!

Happy kirby is happy. Just found out that 2 of my favourite bands (Dream Theater and Opeth) are touring together this autumn.

*\o/*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Bambaata wrote: »
    i just got a cheque from revenue for tax relief i havent claimed in a few years and this has finally piad off my new tri bike. Whoop!!
    !

Sweet!

Hmmm.. I'ver never made a claim for tax... I'll have to check this out :confused:

*looks up revenue.ie with hope*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

On the subject of Slumdog - anyone read Q & A? Been meaning to pick it up for a while.

Read the book over 2 years ago, very good read, not too taxing and each chapter is based around a question in some ways it like mini short stories with a common theme running - I haven't seem Slumdog millionaire but I remember reading it and thinking this would make a good film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

MCOS wrote: »
    Sweet!

Hmmm.. I'ver never made a claim for tax... I'll have to check this out :confused:

*looks up revenue.ie with hope*

Ring the tax office - request your P21. this is a statement of tax. You can claim for 2007 back to around 2005.
    Fill in a form for rent relief - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section6
    Post this to the tax office and they will make all the adjustments needed and make sure that you do this for the previous address you were renting at as well - you should get a refund for tax paid last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement