Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

GD7364553%40Champions-League-Fina-4577.preview.jpg

it's ok, we're still celebrating 08

Yeah we could see that last night, still in Moscow aswell judgin by the way iniesta and mess went past players like they weren't there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

actually i'm not really into football at all. but could someone please tell me what the hell the premier league is ?

i thought it was 'cannon league division 1' ,,,,

also someone told me liverpool have never ever won the premiership?

but that cant be true, surely.............. is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ahh you see Liverpool are busy looking forward to next season, not living in teh past and looking at former glories... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i'd love to know what the time the average man u or lpool player would do for 10km. you'd expect under 40 mins even for the slower guys but maybe im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

i'd love to know what the time the average man u or lpool player would do for 10km. you'd expect under 40 mins even for the slower guys but maybe im wrong.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the lads would be flying through 10 in sub 40, certainly the midfielders. Fernando and Rio would be more borderline I would suspect.

• Advertisement

I reckon most of them would make better sprinters, particularly the forwards (cue link!)

You have to imagine that they would all be sub 40 and I would guess the majority would be 36 - 38 with a lot below that. They are full time professionals whose daily job involves a lot of running, they have full time nutritionists, physio, massage, doctors and have been selected on speed and endurance. As elite athletes already you would guess that at least some would be capable of winning local 10ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

christeb wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the lads would be flying through 10 in sub 40, certainly the midfielders. Fernando and Rio would be more borderline I would suspect.

But you have to wonder how quick the goalkeepers would be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Have we had any reports on the chocolate cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

But you have to wonder how quick the goalkeepers would be!!

True, I wouldn't say Edwin is too fast but Pepe Reina looks in decent shape...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

also someone told me liverpool have never ever won the premiership?

Yeah Liverpool are a bit crap. Even Blackburn have won it like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Have we had any reports on the chocolate cake?

Who? What? Where?
    Wow Id love a good slab of chocolate cake now...........:(

magnet made chocolate cake the other night and we haven't seen her since :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

She's probably off running four marathons in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

lol Very Funny Girls!!
    Ok slightly true...
    There was the 5k race in Loughrea so I ran home to make it up to 15miles and sat down to a banana and big slice of Chocolate Cake!!
    It was actually not bad although I was too hungry to bother with the icing and stuff....:o
    I`m making another cake fri night and I`m gonna ice it too and I`ll post a pic if I figure out the how-to...
    Then it`s back to porridge with flax seeds,protein powder,honey,raisins,goji berries and cinnamon for breakfast!! YUM:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Yeah Liverpool are a bit crap. Even Blackburn have won it like.

Of course Blackburn won it, natural progression after finishing 4th and 2nd the previous two seasons :)
    Don't think the establishment ever forgave my beloved Rovers for winning the league and not going away again, makes hanging around all the better.

Liverpool will finish it out next season I'd say, Utd will find it hard to replace Scholes, Giggs and Ronaldo in one transfer window.

As for Leeds, the less said the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

As a red blooded heterosexual male, I am much more interested in Magnet's chocolate cake than in English soccer. Is there something wrong with me?

Apparently Ronaldo was mouthing off about the tactics being wrong for teh final. Way to impress the manager :rolleyes: And Masch has been talking to the Argentine press about wanting Tevez at Anfield.

Apart from Cork does anyone have any plans for the long weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Sat pm Schools T&F, Tullamore

Sat evening LSR (Royal Canal, Longwood)

Mon evening Balloon flight, Trim (weather permiting)

Mon evening Balloon flight, Trim (weather permiting)
    wow, that would excite and terrify me at the same time!

For us
    Tonight Chilli party in our place
    Sat am long bike for me, sleep for ZL
    Sat pm Ocean to City for Zuppylurk (with me as car shuttlebunny)
    Sun am: sleep for me, zuppylurk working 24 hour shift
    Sun pm: Cycle and swim for me
    Mon am: cycle & wee jog,
    mon pm: should go swimming but it might not happen :-)
    Sometimes I really wonder what I used to do before sport became part of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I think yee are wrong about most players running sub 40 for a 10k, training is completely different, they work more on the sprinting. Damien Duff ran the 5 mile in the park back in 06 and ran it in 33 minutes and I would have thought of him on the quicker side of players. I also remember watching a program on bbc, I think superstars and Dwight Yorke was racing in one of them and although he did ok, I remember thinking at the time, thats average.
    They do specific training for football, not running, now I reckon there would be more gaa players that would go sub 40 :D

• Advertisement

You racing Cork HM or just running it? (I know thats OT for an OT thread, I don't care!)

We did a balloon ride a couple of years ago - ours was pre dawn which was a pain but it's a great experience, def one I'd recommend. I'm fine with heights but it didn't seem to bother anyone - I don't think it's "scary" as such because it's so tranquil. Well ours was until we crash landed...

Woddle - I'm never wrong, just ask MrsA :D 33 for a 5 miler isn't bad going, thats not far off sub 40 10k pace. I didn't necessarily mean that they could get up and run sub 40 right off the bat, I meant that they already do a lot of training that would benefit them, have world class supports and are already elite athletes who's day job involves speed and endurance. As such I'd expect most of them to be at the faster end of any race they ran and certainly if they tweaked teh training a bit I'd expect them to be competitive locally. The physical attributes are transferable.

And some people (ie top class pro footballers) are just naturally good at sports. In his autobiography (yes I've read it, I'm sad :D) John Barnes talks about being introduced to golf while on holiday. There were a few of them in the class, the swing was demonstrated, he took a few practice whacks and then began consistently driving the ball 300 yrds (which apparently is a long way?). Point is he had the ability to quickly pick up new physical and sports techniques. They're also madly competitive and driven so if tehy really wanted to do it they'd put the work in (look at Lance Armstrong in teh marathon and Ronnie O'Sullivan who's a tidy runner)

Would agree with the above :D and just ask mrs Woddle, I'm wrong most of the time.
    So safe to say with slightly different training, most professional footballers have the ability to go sub 40 for 10k.
    Also on the golf, so many of the ex footballers have fantastic golf handicaps, Lineker,Fowler, I think some of it is that all round sporting talent but a bigger part is the time they have to spend on the golf course.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Woohoo! Provisional exam results are making it look like I've got a 2.1 in my degree :D

Yea part of it is - apparently managers used to like them to take it up because it kept them out of pubs and snooker halls. Ahhh, the good old days!

Hansen is also close to a scratch golfer and would have gone pro if football hadn't worked out. Lineker is also a top cricketer, member of teh MCC and would have been a pro in that apparently. Then there is Ian Botham who played pro football after retiring from cricket.

i hate people with talent!

[edit]

YAY!!!!! Go RK, well done!

Congrats RK, whats the crack with Cork, did you get your accomadation sorted.

Yeah, staying in Kinlay House. Guess who can't let go of being a student just yet :pac:

You racing Cork HM or just running it? (I know thats OT for an OT thread, I don't care!)
    purely a training run. I'm going to HR 145 which, depending on the weather, should see me home in about 3:30-3:40. A marathon a month out from IM worked well last year (Kent Coastal, Ironman Florida) so with Cork on the doorstep, I'm going to try it again. I've not actually entered a marathon to race a marathon this year. Mind you, when i totted them up, I'll still have done 10 marathons or longer (A.O'Neill, Moonlight, 2xmds, Cork, 2xIM, Connemara100, Roentegen and Dublin)

Congrats RK. Great Results.

I thought you were planning on running a fast one this year? If we can get a good sub 3 pacer for Dublin I reckon that'll be my plan.

RK - whats teh plan now - year off or looking for work?

• Advertisement

Looking for work at the moment, but if all I can find in the next while is part-time work then I'll strongly consider doing a masters. I'm currently on the dole :mad:

Advertisement