Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Rugby Jersey Sponsors?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Whats With These Rumors About The I.R.F.U. Agreeing A New Kit Sponsorship Deal With Puma? I Heard It Around School And Was Wondering If There Was Any Concrete Evidence Or Press Releases. Thanks For Your Help,.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

i wish nike would sponsor us;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I heard there are new jerseys after the six nations which will be made by Puma.

O2 will remain as the sponsors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Where Did You Hear It Cos I Want To Be Sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Personally id prefer to go back to the old jersey like the one they had in the 03 WC... just somethig about the new ones i dont like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

twinytwo wrote: »
    just somethig about the new ones i dont like

Nipple-chafing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

acontadino wrote: »
    i wish nike would sponsor us;

Nike, the only manufacturer lazier than canterbury when it comes to shirt design. Probably the worst looking kit as well. Things haven't changed much since they were our supplier, you'd still be lucky if your supporters merchandise consisted of more than the shirt and scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Let me tell you, like, there will be focking uproar in South Dublin if Oireland arnt sponsored by Canto, roysh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Let me tell you, like, there will be focking uproar in South Dublin if Oireland arnt sponsored by Canto, roysh.
    And there loike, will totally be a ban in the future if you don't post all stereotypes, like toytally, roysh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Crash wrote: »
    And there loike, will totally be a ban in the future if you don't post all stereotypes, like toytally, roysh?

We don';t say toytally, dude. Give us some fockin cred, man.

And for the record, Nike, eugh. Retro Adidas all teh way. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

OP this is 100% confirmed, I'm too lazy to look for a link, but I think I read it on Leinsterfans.com website with link confirming it if you want to take a look or use google. But you can take my word, this is true, and no, I'm not happy about it either.

Kooga, Kuri or (my favourite) Rugbytech all the way!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Connacht jerseys are only feckin lovely. Puma make some nice jerseys and some hideous ones. But then Canterbury made largely nice jerseys til their most recent (and astoundingly lazy) concoctions. I'll wait to see what they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

[Jackass] wrote: »
    OP this is 100% confirmed, I'm too lazy to look for a link, but I think I read it on Leinsterfans.com website with link confirming it if you want to take a look or use google. But you can take my word, this is true, and no, I'm not happy about it either.

Kooga, Kuri or (my favourite) Rugbytech all the way!!

Im Rather Happy About this Development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

Depp wrote: »
    Im Rather Happy About this Development.

Why do you capitalise every word?

It is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

RS6 wrote: »
    Why do you capitalise every word?

It is very annoying.

He didnt capitalize the word 'this', your question is completley incorrect and absolutley uncalled for. Furthermore you owe this man an apology. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Nout official on a Google Search

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=gmail&q=irfu%20puma

Having said that, there's nothing to suggest that someone in the IRFU didn't leak the information to the Irish Examiner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rala

I'm pretty certain that it'll be Puma and know someone who's seen the initial designs. They've indicated that it'll still be the darker/ bottle green and aren't enamoured by it.
    As all the sports manufacturers work off templates I reckon it could have a chevron detail about the neck like the kit below (Puma's 09/10 template) and be the same green as the attached...olympiacos-09-10-puma-away-football-shirt.jpg
    PDS052010241.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Sweet Jesus I hope it isn't that green. It is nothing like the current shade:

PDS052010241.jpg

c14a_1_b.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I know it's all about money and that a deal like this is worth millions to to IRFU but I can't help thinking that it would be wonderful if the shirt was produced by an Irish company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Here my interturpretation on the new jersey,up for debate!

newjersey.jpg

And dont ask me why Paul Sackey is an Irish Jersey! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

donmeister wrote: »
    Here my interturpretation on the new jersey,up for debate!

newjersey.jpg

And dont ask me why Paul Sackey is an Irish Jersey! :pac:

I've seen worse jearsys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You would thing that in the current economic climate they would be trying to keep as much money in the country as possible... Can O'Neils not make rugby jerseys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

rala wrote: »
    As all the sports manufacturers work off templates I reckon it could have a chevron detail about the neck like the kit below (Puma's 09/10 template) and be the same green as the attached...

Nothing has been announced and any changes to kiw sponsors of the Irish team obviously won't be for a time yet as there are still representitive tours to go as well.
    A sports company will have a catalogue of designs, not a template, by the way so I don't know why you're speculating on one singular soccer design (seen Portsmouth outfielders shirts, for example?).

And I doubt the real Rala would be very capable of posting on a forum, never mind link an image lol

twinytwo wrote: »
    You would thing that in the current economic climate they would be trying to keep as much money in the country as possible... Can O'Neils not make rugby jerseys?

No, O'Neills cannot make rugby jerseys (seen the Romanian kit?)

Why should anyone bankrupt themselves by ordering overpriced wares just because they're "made" in Ireland? Where should it stop? Should the fabrics be ordered here too? The dyes?
    O'Neills don't even "make" their own hurling helmets (sticking a grid (made outside of Ireland) on a helmet (made outside of Ireland) doesn't deem the product 'Irish').

There are people who say "I'd love to holiday here in Ireland...but I can't afford it".

I've seen worse jearsys...

Really?

I would rather wear Stade Francais pink than something like that! In all fairness that is a Puma soccer jersey. I expect the Irish jersey to be more along the lines of the Bath jersey in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

No, O'Neills cannot make rugby jerseys (seen the Romanian kit?)

Why should anyone bankrupt themselves by ordering overpriced wares just because they're "made" in Ireland? Where should it stop? Should the fabrics be ordered here too? The dyes?
    O'Neills don't even "make" their own hurling helmets (sticking a grid (made outside of Ireland) on a helmet (made outside of Ireland) doesn't deem the product 'Irish').

There are people who say "I'd love to holiday here in Ireland...but I can't afford it".

Slightly off topic, but I wasn't aware that O'Neills even sold or marketed hurling helmets. Thought Mycro and Cooper had that market all to themselves. Must check that out, could be a bargain in the offering...

Also, the rugby jerseys as it stands are far more expensive that GAA ones. Mayby that's down to materials though? Even though the rugby tee-shirts are nearly as expensive as GAA replica jerseys which are made in Ireland.

Slightly off topic, but I wasn't aware that O'Neills even sold or marketed hurling helmets. Thought Mycro and Cooper had that market all to themselves. Must check that out, could be a bargain in the offering...

Also, the rugby jerseys as it stands are far more expensive that GAA ones. Mayby that's down to materials though? Even though the rugby tee-shirts are nearly as expensive as GAA replica jerseys which are made in Ireland.

Rugby jerseys are far too expensive. But luckily you can get them for less than half the price on eBay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Will probably follow the Samoa/Tonga template.

Will be a break from Canterburt, every jersey is the same from Clermont to Scotland.

There are numerous companies in that market...all manufactured by the same small group of companies in Asia. Not even Azurri helmets are "made" in Ireland.

A GAA replica shirt (or any printed poly shirt) costs not much more than a tenner to make. What are they charging these days?

What bumps up the price on a replica shirt is the embroidery and heat-printing as well as the logo it sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

There are numerous companies in that market...all manufactured by the same small group of companies in Asia. Not even Azurri helmets are "made" in Ireland.

A GAA replica shirt (or any printed poly shirt) costs not much more than a tenner to make. What are they charging these days?

What bumps up the price on a replica shirt is the embroidery and heat-printing as well as the logo it sports.

GAA shirts from around €36+

I guess it's to the people behind the logo that most of the money goes. Not to the people that made them for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Puma confirmed as the new sponsors:

http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_16685.php

The IRFU and Puma have agreed a new eight-year partnership deal, starting at the beginning of the 2009/10 season, that enables the leading sport lifestyle brand to become the official supplier and licensee of replica merchandise for Irish rugby.

The IRFU have today announced a new sponsorship deal with Puma

Philip Browne, Chief Executive of the Irish Rugby Football Union, said: "The IRFU is delighted to enter into this relationship with Puma, an organisation, we feel, that not only understands rugby supporters but also has a proven track record in the sport.
    "As a truly global iconic brand, Puma is an ideal partner with the experience and ability to communicate with many consumer groups which we are confident will help us to secure the future of Irish rugby not only at the top level but right down into the grassroots of our game.

"With all of its proven technical experience, innovative product design and development and support systems, we are very excited about the future with Puma and we look forward to a very successful partnership."

Jochen Zeitz, chairman and CEO of Puma, was equally satisfied. He said: "This is a fantastic opportunity for Puma and we are thrilled to announce our partnership with the Irish Rugby Football Union - one of the world's leading rugby teams.

"Their global reach, passion, heritage and dynamism match the Puma brand perfectly.

"This long-term strategic partnership underlines Puma's reinforced commitment to further strengthen its position as one of the leading sport lifestyle brands."

Advertisement