Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Official Release:
    The recently announced Left 4 Dead Downloadable Content (L4D DLC) will be delivered to Xbox 360 and PC gamers free of charge.

Due for release this spring, the DLC for 2008's best-selling new game property on the PC and Xbox 360, is dubbed the L4D Survival Pack and introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode (Death Toll, Dead Air). A Critic's Choice Edition of the game will be heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, given Valve's track record, the new DLC will be free on the PC.

I'm really surprised though, to learn that it will be free on the XBox as well. I understood that there were limits to what you could give away for free on Xbox Live (updates gen. free, DLC you pay for). I presume Valve came to a deal with MS, as I doubt they would reach into their own pockets.

Anyway, good news for all of us.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd love to see them add a new scenario/"film" every few months to this game. Shopping Maul's my suggestion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    In the demo there was a command to force the cpu survivors to leave the saferoom and go through the level. I cant remember what the command was or if its present in the full game.

Thanks for that, a quick google found it:
    Steps:
    1) Console MUST BE ACTIVATED. It's in the options somewhere.
    2) Head into L4D.
    3) Type the following commands in the console in order:
    sv_cheats 1
    director_force_start 1
    sb_all_bot_team 1
    sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0 ; sv_lan 1 {for those who wish to play Lan with friends}
    4) take your pick of the 8 maps via
    map l4d_vs_(map name) {press down to select}

You'll spawn as the survivors. Usually, the survivor bots will start doing their usual thing, like weapons etc, but if they don't, then that map is bugged, which seems to happen on the 1st map of No Mercy, where the bots refused to move.

Press your key to change team (default m), and join the infected.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

/digs up epic thread

Recent updates to L4D include this:

"Fixes to 'Tank parking'. The Tank will now run back and attack the Survivors if he becomes AI due to two players expiring the frustration meter"

"Boomers that explode in mid-air will now hit Survivors directly below them with Bile"

"Reduced the damage that burning Hunters do to pounced victims"

I imagine some people are going to be upset :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ive been getting scuttery pings since the March 11th patch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stephen wrote: »
    /digs up epic thread

Recent updates to L4D include this:

"Fixes to 'Tank parking'. The Tank will now run back and attack the Survivors if he becomes AI due to two players expiring the frustration meter"

"Boomers that explode in mid-air will now hit Survivors directly below them with Bile"

"Reduced the damage that burning Hunters do to pounced victims"

I imagine some people are going to be upset :)
    Indeed. Have they also fixed all the map exploits that render tanks useless?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just came across a guy who couldn't be pounced. **** sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Just came across a guy who couldn't be pounced. **** sake.
    lol faeg ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Only 2 or 3 servers showing up in the browser the past couple of days. All I could manage was to get on someone's locally hosted game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

@ing[/EMAIL] brilliant:):cool: when it came out do u remember the shortage? i got mine release day and it was so good i had to keep even though my mate offered me 105 euros lol what a dumb dumb:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Shortage? I got mine from Steam. You must be playing it on the xbox 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Stephen wrote: »
    You must be playing it on the xbox 360?

That's the same as not playing it at all...
    /troll

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Have they released new maps for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Does anybody still play this?

I got it last week and only play with randoms.....anybody wanna play with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Tbh i think the game is going backwards now, to me personally having played it since the pre order it's freshness has been completely lost and unlike CSS or TF2 i rarely now want to go back and play it because in the end it's just the same old stuff with added frustration. It's really wearing thin on me and it'll continue to until new content is released which hopefully should be soon.

Does anybody still play this?

I got it last week and only play with randoms.....anybody wanna play with me?

Check out the Boards servers.
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Tbh i think the game is going backwards now, to me personally having played it since the pre order it's freshness has been completely lost and unlike CSS or TF2 i rarely now want to go back and play it because in the end it's just the same old stuff with added frustration. It's really wearing thin on me and it'll continue to until new content is released which hopefully should be soon.

Well, the same applies to every game. L4D is hardly unique in this. However, it certainly would be nice if they mixed thing up a bit and added a tertiary weapons tier based on achievements (sort of like they did with TF2) and some new game modes. Also, I really can't understand the reticence of Valve to release the engine (or whatever it is) to the modding community.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Check out the Boards servers.

Can you please point me in the right direction.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Well, the same applies to every game. L4D is hardly unique in this. However, it certainly would be nice if they mixed thing up a bit and added a tertiary weapons tier based on achievements (sort of like they did with TF2) and some new game modes. Also, I really can't understand the reticence of Valve to release the engine (or whatever it is) to the modding community.

From what I have seen and from various interviews from Valve, they have had great sales and revenue from updating games in their collection. CSS, TF2 and now Left for Dead will bring in huge sales spikes every update as well as increasing constant sales. As a company I would limit user generated content in order to allow for greater sales spikes during and anticipation before patches. That may be just my thinking though.

• Advertisement

From what I have seen and from various interviews from Valve, they have had great sales and revenue from updating games in their collection. CSS, TF2 and now Left for Dead will bring in huge sales spikes every update as well as increasing constant sales. As a company I would limit user generated content in order to allow for greater sales spikes during and anticipation before patches. That may be just my thinking though.

True. But they have already said that they were going to turn the engine over to the mod community. Indeed, it appears that people have already been hard at wok in preparation.

http://l4dmapdb.com/

As for content release, Valve don't appear to be overly proactive in this regard. I might be wrong, but I would doubt if we will see any new weapons, maps or game modes soon. I'm not saying it wont happen on an official basis, but it would happen much quicker if they allowed the mod community to get their hooks in. Yes, I realise that such a thing could potentially allows all sorts of dross to be created, but people get bored hiding in the same closets after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Anybody still playing L4D up for a game today?

If so I'll be online here and on Steam under the same UserID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Looking forward to the new content coming out, any date on release ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's supposed to be March/April. The new version of the game including that content (Dead Air/Death Toll for Versus, and Survivor Mode) is meant to be out in April, so the DLC should be out either before or at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

No date given, but I imagine it'll be here within 4 weeks. I would have been happier if they waited longer and released a more impressive update – maybe a new map and the inclusion of melee weapons (chainsaw, shovel baseball bat and cattle prod would be cool :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Wait, a DLC and extra maps/game modes ? What's the difference ?

EDIT: I get what you mean now, read it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

koneko wrote: »
    It's supposed to be March/April. The new version of the game including that content (Dead Air/Death Toll for Versus, and Survivor Mode) is meant to be out in April, so the DLC should be out either before or at the same time.
    Is that valve time? Could be Halloween so! :pac: Iv'e bled the two verus campaigns dry at this stage. Survivor and SDK FTW TBH. The other two versus campaigns should have been included in the first place. I've played dead air versus on some haxxored server. The only problem was the rooftops either not showing roof textures or not being accessible as a hunter. Actually my noob team didnt help much either.

Also, something that has been bandied about the steam forum:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821493

Watch that in HD. (Double click the video to get access to HD on youtube itself)
    grizzly wrote: »
    No date given, but I imagine it'll be here within 4 weeks. I would have been happier if they waited longer and released a more impressive update – maybe a new map and the inclusion of melee weapons (chainsaw, shovel baseball bat and cattle prod would be cool :D).
    Id love to get a home run with a hunter, great idea. The cattle prod is also a brilliant concept. What would be great though, is a Tank charge that had a large cooldown period longer than the throwing bar, coupled with a melee it could do some serious damage or seperate the survivors across large distances. It would be great fun on NM final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Another 'better than Steam's sale price' offer. This time from Asda.

Left 4 Dead [PC] - £14.91

Also:
    The Orange Box [PC] - £11.91

Thanks to muppetkiller for pointing out the sale. [Link]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

What does every one think of the new melee system? I think its better for the game and is harder for teams to crouch together and be pretty much invunerable when atacked ala cupboard beside the elevater in NM.

I reckon it makes the boomer stronger as b4 all you had to do was melee now you have to shoot a lot more.

Advertisement