Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will/Has the recession make people more racist?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

It's already starting

I've certainly noticed that people are beginning to become resentful of foreigners in recent weeks, and many people seem to feel that they should "all go home". I was actually treated to a conversation where the other party was complaining about "the blacks", and how "none of them work".

Have you noticed that people are becoming more resentful of migrant workers (or non-workers now I suppose), and specifically, have you noticed a rise in racism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It won't make them more racist. It will just expose what's already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wont get the financial backing to start a cotton farm anyway so what does it matter :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm not racist but i blame the polish and other immigrants, not the irish its them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Would prefer to see all the culchies go back home and get out of Dublin so we can get on with improving our gene pool here with more beautiful "foreign" wimmins. More Africans and Asians to Dublin please, breed the ugly out that's been imposed on us for centuries from everywhere else outside the pale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SilkySmooth

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Would prefer to see all the culchies go back home and get out of Dublin so we can get on with improving our gene pool here with more beautiful "foreign" wimmins. More Africans and Asians to Dublin please, breed the ugly out that's been imposed on us for centuries from everywhere else outside the pale...

Irish women are beautiful too, ya know. Even in bogger-land. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Will/Has the recession make people more racist?

There's a difference between racism and territoriality.
    Ireland belongs to the Irish... once there's enough resources to go around and support us all, everyone is happy.

Once resources ( jobs, houses, money etc ) becomes limited, then tension arises. It's a completely natural reaction / evolved behaviour to try to defend the resources available to you.

You can't bury and repress millions of years of evolved behaviour just cos a few politically correct laws have been passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Definately ... even lunch time today I was in a cafe and overheard a lot of talk about "the blacks" getting medical cards and utility bills paid for etc., and the feckin Poles taking all our jobs and feckin off home when it suited them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I dont know about racism but if the goverment want to save a few hundred million a year they should refuse to process anymore asylum cases,refute the right to appeal for those not sucsessfull and stop paying solicitors out of state funds to deal with asylum cases.
    Onec they realise the party is over,they'll soon stop coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There's a difference between racism and territoriality.
    Ireland belongs to the Irish... once there's enough resources to go around and support us all, everyone is happy.

Once resources ( jobs, houses, money etc ) becomes limited, then tension arises. It's a completely natural reaction / evolved behaviour to try to defend the resources available to you.

You can't bury and repress millions of years of evolved behaviour just cos a few politically correct laws have been passed.
    Leaving aside your last two sentences, I have to say I never thought of it like that, and you have given me reason to mull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dey tuk err jerrbs! (and swans).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Of course it will, stupid paddys. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Dey tuk err jerrbs! (and swans).

But it's a fair swap fer der wimmins(who have jobs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vt3

Degsy wrote: »
    I dont know about racism but if the goverment want to save a few hundred million a year they should refuse to process anymore asylum cases,refute the right to appeal for those not sucsessfull and stop paying solicitors out of state funds to deal with asylum cases.

You are a horrible horrible person. Any chance you'll move somewhere else?

BTW when does somebody become Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

can worms open every where, little feckers

vt3 wrote: »

Irish citizen or Irish ethnicity?

Ooooooh there's a good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Will it make people more racist of just plain racist.

We are all racist so more racist possibly OR we will be able to empathise with other nations now that we are on the slide.

Degsy wrote: »
    And women who might get circumcised, they just need to go back home and face the cigar-cutter?

Not all migrants are looking for money, some of them actually do face danger if they go home.

Leaving aside your last two sentences, I have to say I never thought of it like that, and you have given me reason to mull.

In my opinion, you're racist if you hate the non-nationals even if there's plenty of houses/jobs/resources available.

But it's natural to feel more entitled to Irelands resources if you and your parents, and your parents parents etc had contributed to the country all their lives. There would be a legacy of thousands/millions of punts/euros contributed to the country.
    ronnie3585 wrote:
    Dey tuk err jerrbs!

I hope that's not an attempt to introduce the gay gang-bang solution they resorted to in that SouthPark episode "Goobacks".

I hope that's not an attempt to introduce the gay gang-bang solution they resorted to in that SouthPark episode "Goobacks".
    Goobags surely?
    I think saying Goobacks while talking about a big gay orgy was a Freudian slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Don't know if its racism but I have heard some people at work asking why the Irish state is paying out millions to house foreigners in places like Mosney or the countless hotels, hostels, HSE houses and apartments etc up and down the country. I can sort of see their point, why is this going on? Why not send them back home or simply refuse them entry to the country at the airport/ports etc. It's not doing them any good being abandoned in some minging old hotel for years on end living off state handouts.

• Advertisement

Irish citizen or Irish ethnicity?

Ooooooh there's a good thread.

would be.

but what i was getting at what 'ireland is for the irish', so is someone like paul mcgrath irish or not? is that baz guy on rte irish? laura izibor? stephen kelly? the much bigger than ever irish born of non-european population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I blame Brussels for starting the 'race to the bottom' (1 market with how many workers scrambling for jobs?), the bosses who were more than willing to create a two-tier working class- with well documented examples of immigrants being paid less, and lastly the government for very obvious reasons.

Whoever made the recession it wasn't the foreign workers, you've far more in common with them than the Irish bosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The media can often be blamed for encouraging racism by publishing articles like this.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Majority-of-Dell39s-Polish-workers.4865682.jp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm horrible because i dont want more of my tax money wasted on chancers??

Goobags surely?
    I think saying Goobacks while talking about a big gay orgy was a Freudian slip.

Nope, "Goobacks"... as in "go back".
    They were time refugees from the future.

SouthPark episode WIKI Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

how is he a horrible person in fairness. he's looking out for his own which is his right. there isn't enough money now to look after everyone so why should the cutbacks be for the irish.

In my opinion thats whats bothering the irish, cos we dont get **** if you have had the economically crippling burden that is a job cos it seems to a lot of us that you get nowhere working and you'd get more benefits etc not working.

I'm not sayin that its about the foreigners not working it happens across the board but what i am saying is that the irish government should look after the irish first. If that makes me racist get ma a triangular hood and an all white suit,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

One of my neighbours is definitley a racist, then again after losing 5 k worth of gear to Roma gypsies doesnt help does it?:rolleyes:

Nope, "Goobacks"... as in "go back".
    They were time refugees from the future.

SouthPark episode WIKI Link
    I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Irish women are beautiful too, ya know. Even in bogger-land. :p

...as well as being notoriously bad liars, and/or dillusional - especially in bogger land.

• Advertisement

i dont get 'look after'...its not like we're in famine times here. one thing we can't complain about polish anyway. they are just fellow europeans. we are in eu and ireland wouldnt have had any good times without it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement