Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will/Has the recession make people more racist?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

Just reading back - It really is true isn't it? The more racist they are, the less literate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

javaboy wrote: »
    It won't make them more racist. It will just expose what's already there.
    If that's the case then I am really depressed now !

I've been living here for 8 1/2 years and I have never felt more unwelcome than right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

If that's the case then I am really depressed now !

I've been living here for 8 1/2 years and I have never felt more unwelcome than right now!

Its not against skin colour or nationality dont worry ;)

You are still welcome

There's a difference between racism and territoriality.
    Ireland belongs to the Irish... once there's enough resources to go around and support us all, everyone is happy.

Once resources ( jobs, houses, money etc ) becomes limited, then tension arises. It's a completely natural reaction / evolved behaviour to try to defend the resources available to you.

You can't bury and repress millions of years of evolved behaviour just cos a few politically correct laws have been passed.

Your post is been bumped that's the real answer

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

shqipshume wrote: »
    Your post is been bumped that's the real answer

YEY, Basically we are just too thick and never learn.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

It won't make them more racist. It will just expose what's already there.

I think thats sadly true.

I'm tall, have black hair and dark olive skin, I look like the Italian side of my family.

I was called names occasionally when I was growing up, usually harmless ones. This has changed in recent years.

For the last five or six years, I've been told to go back where I came from (eh, Wicklow?), on a regular basis, maybe once or twice a month.

Since the recession hit, I've been agressively shouted at in the street, told to go back where I came from, and called a foriegn bi**h, and some much nastier names. Much, much more frequently.

Six times in the last ten days, in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

titwank wrote: »
    What I just don't get is why I am always served last in the shop. People won't share their lunch with me and they won't put money in the collection bucket in mass. If people could just return to mass they would be united. Jesus is black, blue, white, red any colour you want him to be. Put jesus inside you. Deep inside you.
    Way down inside
    Honey you need it
    I'm gonna give you my love
    I'm gonna give you my love

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

It's only gonna get worse...

Last week Tuesday i was called a "****ing ******" by a homeless drunk... I laughed at him...
    On Friday night, another guy shouted nigga...
    Today some little kids told me to go back home...

Sadly it won't be the last of this, i just have to wear a thicker skin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

MIN2511 wrote: »
    It's only gonna get worse...

Last week Tuesday i was called a "****ing ******" by a homeless drunk... I laughed at him...
    On Friday night, another guy shouted nigga...
    Today some little kids told me to go back home...

Nothing to do with the recession, it has always been like that unfortunately...

Nothing to do with the recession, it has always been like that unfortunately...
    Nope i don't think so...

Before the recession i can't really remember being called a nigga 2x in a week...

tbh there will be more... As long as no one is physically abusive towards me then it's okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Heh.

People get dumber as they get poorer apparently. Foreign people are a god send to this country. Not because they are prettier or anything like that but they bring new activities to our shores!

The reason I can dance and chat to the women is thanks to foreign people. I know that sounds weird but the ease at which they did it inspired me into action. If they did not come over to Ireland would be a hell of a lot more boring and food would be a lot more bland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It has to be said that (optimistically) half-eejits and a brat are not (errors and omissions applying) either representative or known for their social graces.

That being said, you shouldn't have to put up with it. Rather than a wear thicker skin, throw a stronger dig.

I think thats sadly true.

I'm tall, have black hair and dark olive skin, I look like the Italian side of my family.

I was called names occasionally when I was growing up, usually harmless ones. This has changed in recent years.

For the last five or six years, I've been told to go back where I came from (eh, Wicklow?), on a regular basis, maybe once or twice a month.

Since the recession hit, I've been agressively shouted at in the street, told to go back where I came from, and called a foriegn bi**h, and some much nastier names. Much, much more frequently.

Six times in the last ten days, in fact.

Sorry to hear that:(
    Ignore it and carry on,think about it this way Irish call eachother names to like culchies,boogers,red necks,jackins and god knows what else.
    People who call eachother things like that means they just have no common sense nor self esteem.

Nodin wrote: »
    It has to be said that (optimistically) half-eejits and a brat are not (errors and omissions applying) either representative or known for their social graces.

That being said, you shouldn't have to put up with it. Rather than a wear thicker skin, throw a stronger dig.
    Meh... I wish i could have said something... but yer man is probably a junkie.... I can't take chances like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

nij wrote: »
    Just reading back - It really is true isn't it? The more racist they are, the less literate...

Completely agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

tbh there will be more... As long as no one is physically abusive towards me then it's okay

No, its never okay.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 amber 22

my boyfriend is from turkey. he was here for 5 years. we have a young baby. he so wanted to work but he wasnt allowed because they wouldnt renew his permit(he tried with 4 companies) and he wasnt entitled to social welfare benefit,his country is outside the e.u. so he had to go back home n now we are struggling ,im working all hours to make ends meet.it goes to show that theres rules for one and rules for another. so yes, i do feel that people shuld be made contribute to the economy and if they dont work they dont get paid, because after all ive seen and been through i am a little bit racist, ireland should take a leaf outta other countries books. i understand it from both sides i have encountered racism when weve beeen out even with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

hasnt made me Racist but has made me a fascist!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

amber 22 wrote: »
    ireland should take a leaf outta other countries books.

Ireland, the UK and Sweden did a lot more then the rest of Europe for the last few years.

But it wasn't enough you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Count Voucher

People are "naturally" racists, what recession is giving them is a good excuse to show it openly. A colleague of mine left the IT company where he was working to move to an online gambling outfit. He lasted about 6 months there, then blamed the pressure and quit. Has been leaving on welfare for another 6 months by now, happy as a bunny. Told me that because of the recession he feels more relaxed without a job and the daily stress of keeping it. To put it bluntly, he is so laid back and Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Please don't name and shame specific companies/establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Please don't name and shame specific companies/establishments.

If they are being racist and you have valid proof, then why not?? They don't deserved to get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

GiftofGab wrote: »
    If they are being racist and you have valid proof, then why not?? They don't deserved to get away with it!
    Valid proof would be video footage of a bouncer telling someone they can't come in because they are black.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

i noticed this old thread popped up again this morning.

so how are things now?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

VEN wrote: »

so how are things now?

Yeah grand, how's your Mam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Well bearing in mind we are rufusing to extradite a child killer because his victims were only Hungarians , yes I would say we have a racism problem in Ireland, actually its institutionalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

xzanti wrote: »
    Yeah grand, how's your Mam?

I'd never ask a stranger that question for obvious reasons.

So back on topic shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Don't resurrect old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement