Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will/Has the recession make people more racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I find,

Less education = More Racist
    Well education = Less Racist

This also ties in(slightly) with what CreepingDeath mentioned, due to the fact
    that many less educated people are more sensitive to the recession
    than those who are well educated. (ie low skilled jobs heading east)

Naturally there are exceptions but it is one common factor I have found
    with any self confessed racist I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I find,

Taxi Driver = More racist
    Not Taxi Driver = Less racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Shiny wrote: »
    I find,

Less education = More Racist
    Well education = Less Racist

Well education? The ironing is delicious.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, because i was never racist to begin with.:)
    I hate all scumbags though .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

0ubliette wrote: »
    I think youll find gooback is a reference to 'wetback', racist slang for illegal mexican immigrants in the US. Called wetback due to the assumption that they had to swim across a river (cant remember where it was) to cross the border, coming out of the river with a 'wet back', much like the aliens come through the portal with goo on their backs in the episode

The river is the Río Grande (or Río Bravo if you're mexican), which seperates a large chunk of Mexico from Texas.

Also, blaming immigrants for coming here and taking the jobs irish people used to consider beneath them is kinda funny. Irish people wouldn't take them when times were good and now that things have changed they're supposed to step aside?
    Fuck that noise.

Tha Gopher wrote: »

Are you a Racist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Shiny wrote:
    Are you a Racist ?
    Actually you didn't say you wern't :p

and if we look at your "well education" statement and its logic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

ye i want to beat up all members of goverment no matter what colour hehehe:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Tha Gopher wrote: »

I think understanding the mechanics of a well will come in handy after the inevitable fall of civilisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭green123

imp wrote: »
    I think the bottom line is that if a person has arrived in Ireland and will have to face FGM if they return to their home country and doesn't want it done to them, then it is an abuse of their human rights. .

nonsense
    most of them choose to go home on holidays.
    its a disgrace.
    if they are in ireland claiming asylum, then how can they regulary go home on holidays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

green123 wrote: »
    nonsense
    most of them choose to go home on holidays.
    its a disgrace.
    if they are in ireland claiming asylum, then how can they regulary go home on holidays ?

Firstly, judging from the portion of my quote you posted I assume you mean that it is nonsense to consider it to be a human rights abuse if someone has their genitals mutilated against their will? Maybe you could clarify this.

Secondly, your contention that "most" of them choose to go home on holidays is a gross generalisation which I would take issue with. I'd be interested to see statistics which back up that claim as while I've heard many people state similar things before I've never seen such statistics.

Thirdly, in cases where people who have been granted asylum choose to go back to their own country on a holiday then this is potentially an abuse of the system (I say potentially as asylum seekers can become naturalised citizens after a certain period of time, which changes a few things), obviously the system should be reformed on an ongoing basis to reduce the possibility of this happening but in my opinion the most important priority is to ensure that those people who need asylum, such as those fleeing FGM, get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭green123

i think they exaggerate the fmg problem and use it as an easy excuse

no statistics, maybe somebody else can find some.
    i am just speaking from personal experience. i work with a good few people from africa, most but not all are from nigeria.
    almost all of them go home on holidays regularly

Unpossible wrote: »
    Actually you didn't say you wern't :p

and if we look at your "well education" statement and its logic :pac:

Sometimes its easier to say I am, then I don't have to go to the
    bother of justifying why I'm not. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

gerky wrote: »
    If anyone is in any doubt as to the danger and cruelness of Female genital mutilation then please research it, and don't believe degsy's bull about it.
    It is a brutal act, in some cases girls are kidnapped(There's actually a documentary where a hidden camera shows five women tie and hold down a girl while it was done to her, not sure if its on youtube)

And one of them was the girl's mother.
    You dont know waht you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

javaboy wrote: »
    It won't make them more racist. It will just expose what's already there.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Degsy wrote: »
    And one of them was the girl's mother.
    You dont know waht you're talking about.

What difference does it make if the girl's mother is there or cooperating? We're not talking about a circumcision or an ear piercing as you compared it to earlier. FGM in many cases takes place in unsanitary conditions. Few if any little girls have died from getting their ears pierced in Claire's. Can the same be said for FGM? Nope.

So I do not give a damn if the child's parents are in favour or not. As far as I'm concerned, those "surgeries" are a travesty and a human rights abuse. In my eyes it's a perfectly good reason for seeking asylum. I'm sure there are those who falsely claim it as their reason for seeking asylum and I've no time for those who do. But to dismiss it completely because the mother might be in favour is appalling imo.

In the not too distant past, if the Catholic Church told Irish mothers to burn their sons' penises to rid them of original sin, half of them would have done it because of the influence of the church, their peers etc. That wouldn't make it any less wrong. How do we know something similar isn't going on with FGM? Maybe mothers are so afraid to oppose their religious and cultural leaders that they just go along with it for fear of being ostracised.

FGM is exactly the sort of sick sh1t we should be speaking out against. Not dismissing because the parents don't mind. There are many many parents who don't mind beating the living lard out of their children. Is that right? Is that any less of an abuse because the parents have AOKed it? Imo there's no difference. FGM is child abuse with or without parental consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In the not too distant past, if the Catholic Church told Irish mothers to burn their sons' penises to rid them of original sin, half of them would have done it because of the influence of the church, their peers etc. That wouldn't make it any less wrong. How do we know something similar isn't going on with FGM? Maybe mothers are so afraid to oppose their religious and cultural leaders that they just go along with it for fear of being ostracised.

Excellent point, never thought of that. I know it's a bit Godwins but YEP, Industrial schools and the Magdalene Laundries isn't that long ago.

We tend to forget that here in our little smug country!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Excellent point, never thought of that. I know it's a bit Godwins but YEP, Industrial schools and the Magdalene Laundries isn't that long ago.

We tend to forget that here in our little smug country!

And we,the people reformed the system under our own steam.
    We didnt go whinging to richer countries with a cock and bull story looking for handouts.
    If a system is wrong abroad,why should the onus be on the people here to change it?
    We've enough to worry about without importing problems.

We didnt go whinging to richer countries with a cock and bull story looking for handouts.
    If a system is wrong abroad,why should the onus be on the people here to change it?

Sorry to Godwin this thread but isn't that exactly the kind of thinking that allowed the Holocaust to take place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nah, we joined the EU instead for them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

L
    O
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Sorry to Godwin this thread but isn't that exactly the kind of thinking that allowed the Holocaust to take place?

Isn't that the the type of knee-jerk reaction that kills debate like this?

markesmith wrote: »
    Isn't that the the type of knee-jerk reaction that kills debate like this?

Not if we're being mature about it. It's a valid comparison and not a knee jerk reaction at all. Degsy's point of view seems to be that where things are clearly not quite right in another country (FGM in parts of Africa, persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany, apartheid in South Africa etc.) we should just let them got on with and hopefully sort it out themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Darn I promised myself I'd stay out of this thread. One problem is you can't really debate pros and cons of immigration as mentioning anything negative labels you a racist. I've asked people who have called me racist before in these situations to specify a race I'm discriminating against and got some odd looks.
    Asylum is an even more difficult issue. I wouldn't for one minute claim to know what happens to those girls in Africa however I will say even though it's not law it does seem a bit much that anyone running from persecution feels the need to travel as far as Ireland to get away from it. Persecution should not be a blank card to pick a new home. If I could reform asylum laws you would have to justify why the surrounding countries were unsuitable and so on in layers. For example say you're looking to escape persecution in Nigeria. There is Mali Algeria Libya Chad Niger first. Then Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, Sudan, Ethiopia, Egypt all before Ireland should enter your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

I had better craic poor than i did when everyone became a prick with a bit of money in their pocket. Well borrowed money. So fúck the EU.

Amen to that. It took all of ten years for us to completely lose what was original about ourselves and become homogeneous, predictable and greedy "westerners"

off topic but maybe we will finally start producing decent music again, take a bow Louis Walsh.I maintain very little to say nothing of literature which has been in absolute terminal decline. Take a bow Cecilia Ahern.

As has been said already racism will neither rise nor fall but in times of recession those who are prone to such feelings will find themselves able to vent their opinions with less fear of rebuke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

How do we know something similar isn't going on with FGM?

The FGM debate is bollocks. One minute the sanctimonious left is declaiming as racist any criticism of non-white cultures, the next - when it benefits immigration - they are down on primitive Nigerian practices like a ton of bricks. FGM cant be used as an argument against male nigerian immigration ( i.e. the practice might be imported here) since that criticism is wah-wah-wah-wahist, but it can be used to justify female immigration since criticism of FGM in that scenario is benign and friendly.

The result of course is that FGm will be imported here, and some judge will forgive it's practice due to cultural sensitivity, and the same old liberal mob will be lighting up the liberal torchlight for those of us who criticise FGM in Ireland.

See, if we criticise FGM here, that is racist and the next thing you know is theres a holocaust.

Not if we're being mature about it. It's a valid comparison and not a knee jerk reaction at all. Degsy's point of view seems to be that where things are clearly not quite right in another country (FGM in parts of Africa, persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany, apartheid in South Africa etc.) we should just let them got on with and hopefully sort it out themselves.

Javaboy, a part of me agrees with you on this. But as I've gotten older I've started to shy away from the 'collective guilt' that liberals feel. I know some people who seem to feel personally guilty for the Palestinian situation...

What should I, as a concerned Irish citizen, do about these things? And let's go back to the '30s - if Neville Chamberlain couldn't stop what the Germans were at, what good would I have been?

Just to clarify, I was agreeing with Degsy's third sentence, the rest is a bit off (EU, emigration, small open economy and all that). But he's got a point - if they practice genital mutation in parts of the Middle East, or there's a vicious CIA-backed dictator in Bolivia, what do you expect the Irish to do about it?

There were a lot of problems in Ireland even during the Celtic Tiger. Crazily fluctuating property prices, ghetto-like conditions in parts of the inner city, homelessness, heroin addiction, alcoholism, government corruption, etc, etc...

As the saying goes, Never complain about the snow on someone else's roof when your own doorstep is unclean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Darn I promised myself I'd stay out of this thread. One problem is you can't really debate pros and cons of immigration as mentioning anything negative labels you a racist. I've asked people who have called me racist before in these situations to specify a race I'm discriminating against and got some odd looks.
    Asylum is an even more difficult issue. I wouldn't for one minute claim to know what happens to those girls in Africa however I will say even though it's not law it does seem a bit much that anyone running from persecution feels the need to travel as far as Ireland to get away from it. Persecution should not be a blank card to pick a new home. If I could reform asylum laws you would have to justify why the surrounding countries were unsuitable and so on in layers. For example say you're looking to escape persecution in Nigeria. There is Mali Algeria Libya Chad Niger first. Then Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, Sudan, Ethiopia, Egypt all before Ireland should enter your mind.

Could one or more of the bleeding hearts please put a counter argument to the above point.........

It's very simple folks,get your heads out of the fcuking sand,these people pass over,above and past at least 8 countries before they get here...and why? a deaf,blind man could tell you that.

• Advertisement

Actually lads & ladies, after a brief scan through this:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458119

I've decided that devil's advocate is a dangerous game.

We're a peripheral country, and have had a fairly homogenous population for a long time.

When people come in with other languages, religions and/or skin colours, it's bound to create a bit of tension.

That can be glossed over when everything's going well and we all have a bit of money.

When things go downhill, scapegoats are always sought. And we Irish love a scapegoat.

So I agree with the OP - the recession will make Irish people more racist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement