Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will/Has the recession make people more racist?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Also Poland especially is starting to boom and stealing our jobs, like we did to others in the 80/90's.

Poland is beginning to boom. Bully for them. Lets see if they open the borders to their ( poorer) east, and to non-EU immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Seanies32 wrote: »
    And it's usually Racists who seize on the minority of cases to justify their position.

Exactly, see the Racists don't see a problem when the Irish do it.

I like how you keep bandying the word Racist about (like most tree huggers do whenever a topic on immigration comes up) and yet youre using it in the context of people complaining about Polish (who, last time i checked, are predominantly WHITE), so who are we being racist about, other whites? I think youre throwing the word racist around rather glibly there to be honest.

You really need to open your eyes and see that this isnt about people being racist, racist would imply we want all foreigners deported because we have an irrational hatred of them based on their skin colour and their traditions etc, and not as it is in actual fact, a country in economic decline unable to support the mass immigration that has occurred over the last 10 years and with dwindling number of jobs to go around, pay cuts on the cards in the public sector just so the govt can make ends meet, which is why suddenly people are thinking that in a situation that is looking increasingly bleaker by the day, should we not be looking at taking care of our own first, people who have lived and wroked here all their lives rather than the needs of people who are barely here a few years, if that, and dont have any family ties here and are free to follow the money & jobs to whatever country it goes to next? If that makes me a racist, then IM A RACIST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i dunno where ye have been living but jasus, irelands famous for its racisim ever since the new york insodent....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Countries aren't racist. People are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I have noticed some people doing it. Ignorance.

• Advertisement

irelands famous for its racisim ever since the new york insodent.

We invaded new yawk?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

asdasd wrote: »
    Poland is beginning to boom. Bully for them. Lets see if they open the borders to their ( poorer) east, and to non-EU immigration.

Hopefully, that is their problem though, like our policies are our decision.
    0ubliette wrote: »
    I like how you keep bandying the word Racist about (like most tree huggers do whenever a topic on immigration comes up) and yet youre using it in the context of people complaining about Polish (who, last time i checked, are predominantly WHITE), so who are we being racist about, other whites? I think youre throwing the word racist around rather glibly there to be honest.

You really need to open your eyes and see that this isnt about people being racist, racist would imply we want all foreigners deported because we have an irrational hatred of them based on their skin colour and their traditions etc, and not as it is in actual fact, a country in economic decline unable to support the mass immigration that has occurred over the last 10 years and with dwindling number of jobs to go around, pay cuts on the cards in the public sector just so the govt can make ends meet, which is why suddenly people are thinking that in a situation that is looking increasingly bleaker by the day, should we not be looking at taking care of our own first, people who have lived and wroked here all their lives rather than the needs of people who are barely here a few years, if that, and dont have any family ties here and are free to follow the money & jobs to whatever country it goes to next? If that makes me a racist, then IM A RACIST

Nigeria etc. has also been mentioned. Keep up! :D

Part of the boom was tax receipts from those immigrants.

Also by your reasoning, the wars in Bosnia wasn't due to racism.
    S.I.R wrote: »
    i dunno where ye have been living but jasus, irelands famous for its racisim ever since the new york insodent....

Indeed. LOL. The same USA we want our illegals to be legalised.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

We invaded new yawk?

yeah, back in the day, since the famine when he got thrown in with the b*****...

Stay in school ;)

yeah, back in the day, since the famine when he got thrown in with the b*****...

When he got thrown in? Who is he? I thought we were talking about Irish racism since the New York "incident", and now we are talking about someone who got thrown in with some b**** person. Even if you mean they it doesnt make much sense.
    Stay in school

lol

The same USA we want our illegals to be legalised.

Who are "we"? I think the illegals in the US should leave, and stop breaking another countries laws.

• Advertisement

Who are "we"? I think the illegals in the US should leave, and stop breaking another countries laws.

Indeed. Thing is they'll return and cause the same problems the immigrants did!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Indeed. Thing is they'll return and cause the same problems the immigrants did!

What? claim asylum because they are scared of female genital mutilation in the US?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

And it's usually Racists who seize on the minority of cases to justify their position.

Irish people sent money back for years. That's what happens when you emigrate to support your family.

Multi National companies also send profits back. Bloody immigrants!

Exactly, see the Racists don't see a problem when the Irish do it.

Indeed, when recession hits, stupidity increases.

Just to clear that one up, they do not have to claim refuge in the first country they arrive in.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055439489

Ah!
    Somebody unable to refute what i'm saying so saying "racists" instead.
    Typical.

What? claim asylum because they are scared of female genital mutilation in the US?

Where did I say that? Can you point out that, seemed to have missed it reading my last one line post!

My point is, unlike most immigrants in the last 5/6 years, our illegals returning here have contributed Zilch to the economy in the same time.

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah!
    Somebody unable to refute what i'm saying so saying "racists" instead.
    Typical.

And you can't refute what others say, hence the use of Liberals.

And you can't refute what others say, hence the use of Liberals.

I backed what i said up with articles from the media.You said "blah blah indo jouranalism..racists..blah".
    People like you are part of the reason this country is being gouged by illegals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Have nothing against hard working immigrants. I do have a problem with our own professional social welfare spongers sitting around in pajamas all day looking for the ride so they can spit out another fatherless bastard just to get more money.

The cancer of society.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Have nothing against hard working immigrants. I do have a problem with our own professional social welfare spongers sitting around in pajamas all day looking for the ride so they can spit out another fatherless bastard just to get more money.

The cancer of society.

And the only people to benefit from the last budget.
    Parasites the lot of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Plug wrote: »
    Im standing by my guns, the eastern european people have helped fcuk up this country money wise.
    They send most of the money home, spend very little and 200000 are working here. Imagine if the irish people had 200000 extra jobs:)

IRELAND FOR THE IRISH!!!

Looks like the drunken ramblings of an inbred hick, tbh.

Would Ireland have developed so fast if there had been no migrant workers?

Were the Uk & the states doing so great in the 80's when Irish moved there in their thousands...and sent some of their wages home?

Are Irish people suddenly not above all the unattractive jobs we sneered at only months ago? We were glad there were migrant workers to serve our burgers & build & clean our houses until very recently.

Did Ireland get 2nd class treatment from the EU when we had just joined?

Would closing our doors make our exports suddenly more attractive?

Crying about migrant workers the second times get a little tougher just makes us looks like a bunch of hypocrites,tbh.

big b wrote: »
    Crying about migrant workers the second times get a little tougher just makes us looks like a bunch of hypocrites,tbh.

Its a disgrace that migrant workers were required in such numbers in the first place,especially as we had(and still do have) a flourishing demimonde of able-bodied people languishing on the dole.
    Why the **** couldnt THEY flip the burgers,carry the hods and work the doors of fast-food places?
    Instead they forced us to import people while they keep the courts busy with thier drink and drug related behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Interesting point Degsy. And when times were good, those Irish illegals in the US should of been deported back home when jobs were plenty here, no excuse to evade another country's laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

In fairness, not all migrants are here flipping burgers. There are many of us working in IT/Banking etc earning very good wages.

Though I do understand your point. Inward economic migration was (supposedly) designed to fill these skilled positions. I have no idea how non-nationals managed to get unskilled roles, especially with the restrictions on work permits.

However, if you're talking about other EU nationals, like the Polish, then they're legally entitled to move here and take any job they want, including the "flipping burgers" role if they so choose. If anyone has a problem with this, I think you need to campaign for Ireland to leave the EU. Not a good idea at all.

I backed what i said up with articles from the media.You said "blah blah indo jouranalism..racists..blah".
    People like you are part of the reason this country is being gouged by illegals.

What's your problem?

The report points out they where caught! You backed up your comment with a few cases, which there always will be.

I could throw insults back but I think your agenda on this thread is clear.

Rant away though!

What's your problem?

The report points out they where caught! You backed up your comment with a few cases, which there always will be.

I could throw insults back but I think your agenda on this thread is clear.

Rant away though!

My problem is your use of the word "racist".
    Its a word people commonly use when they're losing a discussion about immigartion.

Its a disgrace that migrant workers were required in such numbers in the first place,especially as we had(and still do have) a flourishing demimonde of able-bodied people languishing on the dole.
    Why the **** couldnt THEY flip the burgers,carry the hods and work the doors of fast-food places?
    Instead they forced us to import people while they keep the courts busy with thier drink and drug related behaviour.

Take it up with the Social Welfare then, not the Immigrants who did work!

My problem is your use of the word "racist".
    Its a word people commonly use when they're losing a discussion about immigartion.

Do you deny Racists would not want Immigration and now for them to emigrate?

I think your problem is you are taking offence to the fact that some people who would agree with you are Racist.

Not my problem, it's yours.

What?
    That made no sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I think your problem is you are taking offence to the fact that some people who would agree with you are Racist.

Not my problem, it's yours.

I agree with him i'm not racist, underneath all the arguments he has made throughout all the posts. His one underlying theme is that he wants honest working irish people getting the absolute best out of this country.

He doesn't want these people overlooked and money given to:
    1) IRISH people on the dole who are just too lazy to work,
    2) Foreign people who are gettin all sorts of benefits just because their foreign.

He wants the best for the irish, i guess that makes him racist in some lines of thinking.:rolleyes: Prob Racist too that i want to be referred as irish for the rest of my days not European. The way your throwing the word around it wouldn't surprise me

Iang87 wrote: »
    I agree with him i'm not racist, underneath all the arguments he has made throughout all the posts. His one underlying theme is that he wants honest working irish people getting the absolute best out of this country.

He doesn't want these people overlooked and money given to:
    1) IRISH people on the dole who are just too lazy to work,
    2) Foreign people who are gettin all sorts of benefits just because their foreign.

He wants the best for the irish, i guess that makes him racist in some lines of thinking.:rolleyes: Prob Racist too that i want to be referred as irish for the rest of my days not European. The way your throwing the word around it wouldn't surprise me

No the problem is Racists will agree with his view. Not my problem.

Just as Liberals would agree with mine, again not my problem.

20% of Unemployment is Immigrants. Immigrants are losing their jobs at a far higher ratio than Irish people. Of the 120,000 that lost jobs last year, 30,000 where Immigrants.

These same people worked and paid PRSI. If they satisfy the criteria for Jobseekers Benefit the same as an Irish person, they can claim their stamps! They have paid into the Social funds for Unemployment.

His problem from the minority of cases he has referenced is Welfare fraud. Fair enough.
    If he thinks 20% of our unemployed being Immigrants is too high, what is the right figure?

They are subject to the same Welfare checks as anybody else. His problem seems to be the Welfare Inspection system, not Immigrants claiming it.

PS. I would much prefer people who have paid their PRSI claiming Benefits that illegal Irish coming back and claiming Benefits that they have not paid for.

• Advertisement

No the problem is Racists will agree with his view. Not my problem.

guiit by association.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement