Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Plus anyone in my intake (hopefully March - fingers and everything else crossed!!) i'm happy to help as best I can :)

I'll quite happily put my name forward for the March intake too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Oursole

Maybe i missed something but how does everyone know we are the greens??? Im prob sounding stupid here :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Oursole wrote: »
    Maybe i missed something but how does everyone know we are the greens??? Im prob sounding stupid here :D:D

Didn't one of the guys who's already there say that's what your lot were going to be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Oursole

Didn't one of the guys who's already there say that's what your lot were going to be??

Im glad, its my fav colour hahaha :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Im glad, its my fav colour hahaha

Spooky! I'm hoping for March which is said to be blue... which is my fav colour too!!

Maybe its a sign.... :D

• Advertisement

Spooky! I'm hoping for March which is said to be blue... which is my fav colour too!!

Maybe its a sign.... :D

It gets freakier! I was hoping for the April intake. Red's my favourite colour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Toben

I have a lot of questions to ask about everything to be honest, so I'll go wit only a few for now...........

I read u have to dress up for the SRD (I think I got that rite) but do you have to dress up on ur first day of training, ie the 01/02/2009?

Can u put posters up in ur room, ie a Steven gerrard one, as I am a massive Liverpool fan?

Can u have things sitting about ur room? As people were saying u have to hide TVs and duvetes in ur car and losker, etc?

Wot time do you get up at? Is it 9-5 or like a 6am start?

Is it like army training where u get shouted at all the time? I am so unift I am scared they are constantly tied to my ass yelling!!!

Can girls wear make-up?

mmmm, think for now that is it, but I will be back for more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

yes, dress up in smart clothes (suit) for the SRD and first day

posters....doubt it, probably comes into the neutral working environment, i.e. no football tops, logos, posters

rooms will have to be kept tidy as we will get room inspections

not sure about what time we get up, i would say up around 6am is very likely

they try to instill alot of discipline so getting bollocked is quite possible, though from what i've heard its more along the lines of taking the piss out of you rather than bollocking you. i doubt you will get shouted at for being unfit, you will probably be helped to improve (just ask us fellow greens, i have no problem helping you out, we're all a team the end of the day)

not sure about make up, if it is allowed it will need to be extremely minimal, but i'm not sure any would be allowed at all.

pb999 wrote: »
    yes, dress up in smart clothes (suit) for the SRD and first day

posters....doubt it, probably comes into the neutral working environment, i.e. no football tops, logos, posters

rooms will have to be kept tidy as we will get room inspections

not sure about what time we get up, i would say up around 6am is very likely

they try to instill alot of discipline so getting bollocked is quite possible, though from what i've heard its more along the lines of taking the piss out of you rather than bollocking you. i doubt you will get shouted at for being unfit, you will probably be helped to improve (just ask us fellow greens, i have no problem helping you out, we're all a team the end of the day)

not sure about make up, if it is allowed it will need to be extremely minimal, but i'm not sure any would be allowed at all.

Thank you PB999, I do not wear that much make-up, just enough to cover my blemishes. My God it sounds like army training to me, although I am well up for a good ole piss take everyday, nothing I like better than a laff!

How do you know all of this stuff, I am totally clueless about everything, so nervous and excited about it all. I better not share with a snorer or else I will crack up!

It will be quite hard getting to know 50 ppl, but I am really looking forward to making new friends, will be really good fun staying up there for 4 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

Dude, when they get a look at me without any cake on the bake, that rule will change. Believe me... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

I have a lot of questions to ask about everything to be honest, so I'll go wit only a few for now...........

I read u have to dress up for the SRD (I think I got that rite) but do you have to dress up on ur first day of training, ie the 01/02/2009?

Can u put posters up in ur room, ie a Steven gerrard one, as I am a massive Liverpool fan?

Can u have things sitting about ur room? As people were saying u have to hide TVs and duvetes in ur car and losker, etc?

Wot time do you get up at? Is it 9-5 or like a 6am start?

Is it like army training where u get shouted at all the time? I am so unift I am scared they are constantly tied to my ass yelling!!!

Can girls wear make-up?

mmmm, think for now that is it, but I will be back for more
    Dress code will be smart until you get your uniform which could take a week or two
    No posters, no TVs, duvets are fine
    normally class time would be about 9-5 but you will have parades in the morning (once or twice a week) after 8 I think
    rooms need to be clean & tidy or you will get a show parade which will involve an early morning start along with all the other numpties who have done something silly
    you will get shouted at by drill instructors but in a humorous way, phys trainers will also shout to encourage you, and make up is just the sort of thing that will get you a show parade, especially in your first few weeks

excatly panda pants, I was thinking the same thing

PLUS, we have to wear fancy clothes for 2 weeks? I assumed the first day we got our uniforms

PLUS, we have to wear fancy clothes for 2 weeks? I assumed the first day we got our uniforms
    you MAY have to wait 2 weeks they measure you on the first day and they dont always have all the items in all the sizes straight away:(

MORRI wrote: »
    you MAY have to wait 2 weeks they measure you on the first day and they dont always have all the items in all the sizes straight away:(

At the rate I'm going they won't have a uniform in my size! Haven't been near the gym in 2 weeks!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

PandaPants wrote: »
    At the rate I'm going they won't have a uniform in my size! Haven't been near the gym in 2 weeks!! lol

I thought we get measured at SRD for uniforms? it would make more sense to give them time to get it.... maybe i'm wrong!!

Griffer2 wrote: »
    I thought we get measured at SRD for uniforms? it would make more sense to give them time to get it.... maybe i'm wrong!!

I'm pretty sure I heard the same from one of the previous intakes. I think I can remember somebody from the December intake talking about the "hat man" just after their SRD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BadCopGingerCop

Carlty did you say there was an April intake?

Carlty did you say there was an April intake?

As far as I'm aware, there's an intake on 12 April.

I know there was talk about recruitment being held up, but we've heard nothing from recruitment on this and the press releases all seem to be pointing towards recruitment being protected from any cutbacks. I guess we shall wait and see. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Re intakes:

People on here said before they emailed policing board on intakes/continuation on recruitment, did they ever receive a reply???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

we are definately measured for uniform at the SRD, and should get it our first couple of days, things might be missing e.g. they dont always have enough belts according to psni, hence the reason it is in his shopping list.

i'm not sure however about the wearing of the uniform, we may not put it for the first week, however we will deffo be in uniform in week 2 as we start on parade from then

• Advertisement

integra1 wrote: »
    Re intakes:

People on here said before they emailed policing board on intakes/continuation on recruitment, did they ever receive a reply???
    I only recieved an email confirming reciept of my email, after that nothing:mad:
    we are definately measured for uniform at the SRD, and should get it our first couple of days, things might be missing e.g. they dont always have enough belts according to psni, hence the reason it is in his shopping list.

i'm not sure however about the wearing of the uniform, we may not put it for the first week, however we will deffo be in uniform in week 2 as we start on parade from then
    quite a few people dont get trousers/shirts that fit, the people who measure you dont work on Saville Row and sometimes get it wrong, if you get a hat that feels a bit tight tell someone it will be the hat you wear on duty and after a few hours on a hot sunny day it will feel like your head is gonna explode, the same goes for shirt collars. i would be surprised if everyone has full uniform for week two, most will but you should be prepared just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sony8391

Hi Everyone

Was wondering if anybody can advise on what the gym facilities are like in our future home... running machines, weight machines, free weights etc?

Also does anybody know if we are permitted to use them during our free time that falls outside our four week residential period however still within our 21 + week training?

Cheers

p.s How's all the new greens getting on with their shopping list's... Any stores recommended

they have a few running machines, rowing machines, cross trainers, bikes and those step things. they also have a range of weights and you will have access to these during and after training like everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

sony8391 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Was wondering if anybody can advise on what the gym facilities are like in our future home... running machines, weight machines, free weights etc?

Also does anybody know if we are permitted to use them during our free time that falls outside our four week residential period however still within our 21 + week training?

Cheers

p.s How's all the new greens getting on with their shopping list's... Any stores recommended

Around 15 good treadmills, 6 rowers, probably 10 -15 cross trainers and steppers.
    Weights is upstairs and has dumbells up tp 50 kg, a flat bench, 2 incline benches, a smith machine, leg press, lat pull down. There are the usual weight machines there as well but they arent much use for anything best off with the free weights.

yes you can use it any time you like as well, evenings, in the morning before class, and weekends as well i think. Just sign in and you can use it. You can even use it when you are no longer in Garnerville and are just in the area, as far as Im aware.

sony8391 wrote: »

I'm getting cracking with mine this week. I fecking hate shopping, I'm gonna buy as much as I can online.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

You'll be in them at some point on your first day to make sure things fit. For the next three you'll be in your normal clothes and from the Thursday on you'll be in uniform.

Can anyone suggest where to get that Jewelers cloth for bulling boots? I've never heard of it!

Can anyone suggest where to get that Jewelers cloth for bulling boots? I've never heard of it!

What you're looking for is a Selvyt cloth. These are supposedly highly recommended for bulling. There are all sorts of online places for getting these (eg http://hmsupplies.com/catalogue/640.htm), but I imagine you could pick one up at a photography or crafts store.

carlty888 wrote: »
    What you're looking for is a Selvyt cloth. These are supposedly highly recommended for bulling. There are all sorts of online places for getting these (eg http://hmsupplies.com/catalogue/640.htm), but I imagine you could pick one up at a photography or crafts store.

Cheers big ears. :)

My mum knows what she's looking for, so I've delegated her the task.

• Advertisement

Cheers big ears. :)

My mum knows what she's looking for, so I've delegated her the task.

I'm very sensitive about my ears <sob> :(

:D

Advertisement