Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

12021222325

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 Drift


    A week on and my 3Mb connection from BT is still a joke:

    354141853.png

    I contacted them and was asked for all the usual data. (Noise margins etc.) I provided all the info and then got a one-liner answer back saying the fault has been logged! Is everyone elses BT working ok? I'm pretty certain it's not an interleaving problem because my ping is fairly ok.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    Drift wrote: »
    A week on and my 3Mb connection from BT is still a joke:

    354141853.png

    I contacted them and was asked for all the usual data. (Noise margins etc.) I provided all the info and then got a one-liner answer back saying the fault has been logged! Is everyone elses BT working ok? I'm pretty certain it's not an interleaving problem because my ping is fairly ok.
    I'm the same as you, my 3MB BT has been like this since the upgrade and the reason is (for me anyway in my area) a congestion problem, the lines and the exchange can't handle the increased speed.

    Some chance of Eircon upgrading their equipment and lines so in other words for me there's no fix anytime soon :rolleyes: :mad:

    354257303.png


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 Kopf


    In Dundrum, and getting this terrible speed from what should be a 9mbit connection:

    354391988.png

    Has anyone been in touch with them? What did they say? Where do we stand on this? What can be done?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 Drift


    Looks like it may be a congestion thing here too. If you compare a 1.30am test to my earlier 5pm one you can see the difference:

    354413210.png

    I'll do some further research tomorrow if I get time.

    I contacted them and they were perfectly useless with regard to information. They just told me they logged a fault that my line was slow. Great. Thanks. :mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    Drift wrote: »
    Looks like it may be a congestion thing here too. If you compare a 1.30am test to my earlier 5pm one you can see the difference:

    354413210.png

    I'll do some further research tomorrow if I get time.

    I contacted them and they were perfectly useless with regard to information. They just told me they logged a fault that my line was slow. Great. Thanks. :mad:
    Same here, from round 5pm till 1-3am it's dead, after that it's back to normal

    354422969.png

    It's pretty obvious that many of the exchanges can't handle the speed increase, so will anything be done ??


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 Drift


    Seems to be working for me today. I have no idea whether BT fixed it on foot of my complaint or if the return to normal speeds is completely unrelated to my complaint. But credit where it's due, I now have a decent connection:

    354786839.png

    I hope it remains this way now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭ gilmour


    for the past 3 days my d/l speed is incredibly slow, 3kb/s to be exact, checked for viruses and made sure everything is connected and found nothing wrong, anyone else having the same problem? (dundalk area btw)


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    gilmour wrote: »
    for the past 3 days my d/l speed is incredibly slow, 3kb/s to be exact, checked for viruses and made sure everything is connected and found nothing wrong, anyone else having the same problem? (dundalk area btw)
    I'm in Dundalk also, nothing but trouble for me since the upgrades.


  • Registered Users Posts: 951 StRiKeR


    an_other wrote: »
    I'm also in Athlone an my spped has gone T*Ts up too so it's not because you went over your limit.

    I contacted BT and they asked me for some info from my router.

    Can any of ye tech heads fill me in on what I should be getting?

    Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3072 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 9.3 dB 14.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 53.0 dB 29.0 dB
    Output Power 13.1 dBm 0.1 dBm

    your Line Attenuation is very high, how long is your phone cable to the router?

    where about are you in athlone? I'm getting 7616/672 (kbps) connection, but was only fast for like a couple of weeks then gone koo koo, its been slow as christmas for 3 weeks now. before all this happened, the highest download I seen was 1008kbps


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ faceman


    FFS, BT has gone to sh1t the last few days. Time outs etc. Im supposed to be on a 3mb connection!

    Its so sh1t today I cant even run a full speedtest.net test!! :mad: :mad:

    I might do a full switch to IBB. Service im getting over a 2mb which im just using for xbox, is great


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    (3MB) Been getting this all day so far as usual :rolleyes:

    356437852.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 951 StRiKeR


    this is what I just got with a 7.6Mb?????? connection from BT

    just ordered digiweb 12mb metro today and go get myself a N router, soon I can say bye bye to this terrible broadband I ever seen, my meteor phone is faster using edge than that so call 7.6Mb DSL from BT :)

    BTsuxcocks.jpg


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,785 Black Briar


    No problems here...In fact it's been faster if anything! terrible ping though

    (Why does mine say "internet services Ireland" it's BT,the same as you)

    356847102.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 951 StRiKeR


    I dont know but 9 hours over night and only uploaded 4 x 100mb files last night, thats really bad


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭ LoLth


    my 8mb BT connection (that gets 5.1mb when on its best behaviour) has been running at approx 100k since friday evening. reconnecting doesnt work, I've gotten IPs in both the 78.x.x.x and 213.x.x.x range and its the same result from speedtest.net

    cant get throught to residential support. just sit in a queue with no indication of my position and I cant just leave the phone on hold because I have to keep pressing "2" to continue holding.

    Sent an email on saturday, nothing back yet. This is ridiculous. my history with BT:
    install, low speeds and constant disconnects
    BT say not their problem and yet it fixes itself after three months.

    Repeated disconnects.
    BT say its a faulty router and send me out a replacement. problem fixes itself, replacement router never arrives, I get billed for replacement router BT accounts are no help in resolving so I'm out of pocket.

    various other conenction issues. BT never admit liability but the problem always fixes itself.

    Suddenly, terrible speeds no connection about 60% of the time. turns out they upgraded the line to DSL2 and never told me. After three days of tech support runaround they tell me the problem and offer to sell me a router. thankfully I happen to have one spare.

    8mb runs at 5mb at best, usually 3.1. BT say its my Router. Balls, I've tried two other routers (different manufacturers including the BT one) and they all report the same.

    Now its running at less than 2% capacity.... my upload speed of 150k (still way less than its supposed to be) outstrips my DL speed of 120k and I cant get anyone in tech support to report this to!

    Fast losing my heretofore insurmountable hatred of errorcon.....


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 Valentia


    LoLth wrote: »
    my 8mb BT connection (that gets 5.1mb when on its best behaviour) has been running at approx 100k since friday evening. reconnecting doesnt work, I've gotten IPs in both the 78.x.x.x and 213.x.x.x range and its the same result from speedtest.net

    cant get throught to residential support. just sit in a queue with no indication of my position and I cant just leave the phone on hold because I have to keep pressing "2" to continue holding.

    Sent an email on saturday, nothing back yet. This is ridiculous. my history with BT:
    install, low speeds and constant disconnects
    BT say not their problem and yet it fixes itself after three months.

    Repeated disconnects.
    BT say its a faulty router and send me out a replacement. problem fixes itself, replacement router never arrives, I get billed for replacement router BT accounts are no help in resolving so I'm out of pocket.

    various other conenction issues. BT never admit liability but the problem always fixes itself.

    Suddenly, terrible speeds no connection about 60% of the time. turns out they upgraded the line to DSL2 and never told me. After three days of tech support runaround they tell me the problem and offer to sell me a router. thankfully I happen to have one spare.

    8mb runs at 5mb at best, usually 3.1. BT say its my Router. Balls, I've tried two other routers (different manufacturers including the BT one) and they all report the same.

    Now its running at less than 2% capacity.... my upload speed of 150k (still way less than its supposed to be) outstrips my DL speed of 120k and I cant get anyone in tech support to report this to!

    Fast losing my heretofore insurmountable hatred of errorcon.....

    This post should be stickied somewhere (on a BT gravestone?) It summarises my experience perfectly.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 Valentia


    As a matter of interest can anyone confirm or otherwise that Eircom customers are not having these problems? Yes, I am tempted to go back.


  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭ mossieh


    I'm about to move to a location(Newcastle West) where the two best options appear to be Eircom and BT, from this thread I'm thinking eircom is the way to go, would anyone here dispute that (probably a dumb question)?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 Valentia


    mossieh wrote: »
    I'm about to move to a location(Newcastle West) where the two best options appear to be Eircom and BT, from this thread I'm thinking eircom is the way to go, would anyone here dispute that (probably a dumb question)?

    I've started another thread asking Eircom customers their opinion of the service. Very early responses indicate that there is no difference locally. What I don't understand is why there are so few complaints about Eircom on this forum. Could there be a disproportionately less number numcer of Eircom users represinted here?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    I've just hit a new record high ping of 978ms on my 3MB, speeds are down as usual too

    357548734.png

    357552832.png


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭ Wertz


    hellboy you have some local problem that is adding to your woes as far as I can see.
    I'm on the same package as you with the same provider:

    357569248.png

    Now I AM getting some disconnects and de-synchs especially around this time of evening (when everyone starts logging on/downloading) that I reckon is down to contention in my area...your pings are off the scale...even when my speeds drop, ping has never really gone above 100ms...and since I don't game much online anymore it's not an issue.
    Are you on the main town exchange or a sub exchange?


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jonathan


    Wertz wrote: »
    your pongs are off the scale...
    Go have a shower :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    Wertz wrote: »
    hellboy you have some local problem that is adding to your woes as far as I can see.
    I'm on the same package as you with the same provider:

    357569248.png

    Now I AM getting some disconnects and de-synchs especially around this time of evening (when everyone starts logging on/downloading) that I reckon is down to contention in my area...your pings are off the scale...even when my speeds drop, ping has never really gone above 100ms...and since I don't game much online anymore it's not an issue.
    Are you on the main town exchange or a sub exchange?
    I'm not sure, I've been told I'm on the main exchange and then I've also been told I'm on a sub exchange. Where abouts in the town are you ?

    Distance for me on speedtest to Dublin use to read 50mi for me now it's 100mi :confused:

    357744080.png

    357744984.png

    357745313.png


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭ Username!


    hellboy99 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I've been told I'm on the main exchange and then I've also been told I'm on a sub exchange. Where abouts in the town are you ?

    Distance for me on speedtest to Dublin use to read 50mi for me now it's 100mi :confused:

    357744080.png

    357744984.png

    357745313.png
    This has to be because of your internal setup, I've never seen DSL this bad normally.

    Take everything off the lines in your house, connect just the BB to your first phone point, use an ethernet cable (if your currently using wireless) and run the test again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    Username! wrote: »
    This has to be because of your internal setup, I've never seen DSL this bad normally.

    Take everything off the lines in your house, connect just the BB to your first phone point, use an ethernet cable (if your currently using wireless) and run the test again.
    Tried all that and still the same results, fine till the upgrades, it's congestion & upgrade thats done it for me. Look at it now, fine now till 5pm comes and it will be slow again till 1 - 3am.

    357919912.png


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭ Username!


    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Tried all that and still the same results, fine till the upgrades, it's congestion & upgrade thats done it for me. Look at it now, fine now till 5pm comes and it will be slow again till 1 - 3am.

    357919912.png
    Must be Eircom and their Interleaving... dropping your profile might be advised.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    Username! wrote: »
    Must be Eircom and their Interleaving... dropping your profile might be advised.
    Thats been done too :(


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭ Username!


    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Thats been done too :(
    Have you got your telephone line tested? Do you get any interference / noise on your line?


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭ LoLth


    well, a quick update.

    turns out I've been throttled for breach of the Fair Usage policy.

    When I called to check what the limits were before throttling I was told that there are no set limits as I am on option 3 (unlimited).

    however I got the usage page password changed so its working now and I can see that I hit 61gb over the last month. Fair cop guv! certainly more than I had thought I used, Ill have to start monitoring the usage a bit more closely now.

    however, i'm still not a happy camper.

    I have to abide by an invisible ceiling on an unlimited line that I have no idea when I'm going to cross and which results in a useless broadband connection (120kb!) for several days. there is no warning (I requested that an email be sent and I was told that it is not an option and I will jsut have to be careful how much I download). I still dont know what the cap is, was it 60gb, 50 gb, 30 gb ? I have no idea about when the throttle will be removed and I have spent over 4 hours trying to find out this , imho, very basic information.

    I will say though that Emma in Customer Services was extremely helpful and very polite. So, if anyone in BT is reading, hire more people like her and not people who send 1 line replies to a customer query stating "you have been deliberately throttled for breach of the fair use policy". I wrote a polite question I expect a polite and informative answer. I pay a bill. I pay for a service and I deserve an explaination when that service is curtailed, whether or not I breached a policy of some sort an explaination or warning is , imho , a common courtesy and not a paid add on.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭ Elessar


    LoLth wrote: »
    well, a quick update.

    turns out I've been throttled for breach of the Fair Usage policy.

    When I called to check what the limits were before throttling I was told that there are no set limits as I am on option 3 (unlimited).

    however I got the usage page password changed so its working now and I can see that I hit 61gb over the last month. Fair cop guv! certainly more than I had thought I used, Ill have to start monitoring the usage a bit more closely now.

    however, i'm still not a happy camper.

    I have to abide by an invisible ceiling on an unlimited line that I have no idea when I'm going to cross and which results in a useless broadband connection (120kb!) for several days. there is no warning (I requested that an email be sent and I was told that it is not an option and I will jsut have to be careful how much I download). I still dont know what the cap is, was it 60gb, 50 gb, 30 gb ? I have no idea about when the throttle will be removed and I have spent over 4 hours trying to find out this , imho, very basic information.

    I will say though that Emma in Customer Services was extremely helpful and very polite. So, if anyone in BT is reading, hire more people like her and not people who send 1 line replies to a customer query stating "you have been deliberately throttled for breach of the fair use policy". I wrote a polite question I expect a polite and informative answer. I pay a bill. I pay for a service and I deserve an explaination when that service is curtailed, whether or not I breached a policy of some sort an explaination or warning is , imho , a common courtesy and not a paid add on.


    I've also been throttled, a second time, for passing these invisible download caps on my "unlimited" package. First time was when I was over 110GB, this time when I was over 50GB. They won't even inform me when I'm reaching this magical limit. This was the last straw for me and I'm cancelling and moving to some other provider.


Advertisement