Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Sar! wrote: »
    No, but it IS BTs responsibility to provide the service they have advertised which quite clearly they cannot.

You are kind of right, BT should take responsibility for allowing this upgrade to happen, as, in my opinion, should have never taken place. Despite of the fact that Eircom should have made more testing prior to the upgrade.

Bear in mind that this is affecting all Eircom resellers, BT, Perlico and many more. They are all under the same situation as there is nothing they can do to fix this. Not even Eircom retail can.

Hopefully, in the near future, Eircom wholesale will provide with an alternative and BT, Perlico and all other resellers, including Eircom Retail will have the ability to provide a decent service on speeds higher than 3 mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Every IP i try now has a Bad ping jumping from 16-500 satying around the 200-300 mark.

Right now i've gotten one with good pings(not great though)

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 67 ms 16 ms 27 ms bas505.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.241]
    3 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms vlan500.rt501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.124]
    4 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms vlan51.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.137]
    5 17 ms 17 ms 18 ms ge0.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.4]
    6 17 ms 16 ms 17 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
    7 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 25 ms 16 ms 16 ms bas505.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.241]
    3 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms vlan500.rt501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.124]
    4 104 ms 16 ms 16 ms vlan51.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.137]
    5 106 ms 17 ms 16 ms ge0.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.4]
    6 20 ms 18 ms 19 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
    7 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms bas505.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.241]
    3 16 ms 18 ms 16 ms vlan500.rt501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.124]
    4 50 ms 17 ms 16 ms vlan51.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.137]
    5 19 ms 17 ms 17 ms ge0.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.4]
    6 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
    7 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I've been reading this for a while now and suffering the misfortune that is BT's broadband service. same issues as all ye guys. Yesterday morning no dsl light on the router and I really need internet to vpn to work. I called and was told there is no national issue and they would look into my isolated issue. I transferrd to cancellation dept and got my callback yesterday. I've now cancelled as the guy said i had so many open tickets with their tech that they can't resolve in the short-term. My advice guys is cancel and go back to another provider. Incidently they are not charging me the cancellation fee as they could not provide me with the advertised service

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

As a few people have pointed out now on this thread, the only way for anyone to solve the problems they are seeing is to get BT to put you back to 3mb.

I know its awful having to go back (especially now the contention ratio is higher) but it does stop the disconnects and the high pings.

They (BT) cannot fix this issue for whatever reason (be it Eircoms interleaving or whatever) but if like me you have suffered this for a stupidly long time (9 weeks) then I have no doubt you will welcome not having to be consumed by Broadband problems on a daily basis!

It seems it is the only solution sadly....

As a few people have pointed out now on this thread, the only way for anyone to solve the problems they are seeing is to get BT to put you back to 3mb.

I know its awful having to go back (especially now the contention ratio is higher) but it does stop the disconnects and the high pings.

They (BT) cannot fix this issue for whatever reason (be it Eircoms interleaving or whatever) but if like me you have suffered this for a stupidly long time (9 weeks) then I have no doubt you will welcome not having to be consumed by Broadband problems on a daily basis!

It seems it is the only solution sadly....

Even after going back to 3mb, you can still get high pings. Its a BT problem, because all my friends that have Eircom and 1 has perlico dont get this problem. Although they haven't been upgraded yet.

• Advertisement

Prior to upgrade Speedtest.net used to always say we had a ping of 20 on a 3mb line. Now since downgrading us again after all the problems we have a ping of 40 on the 3mb line, so double what it used to be...I havent seen it go higher than that yet and assumed its something to do with the contention ratio having doubled...not sure that affects pings though.

When we were upgraded to the 8mb we were getting anything from pings of 120 upwards and disconnected on average twice a day so its somewhat better but not what we wanted by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Even after going back to 3mb, you can still get high pings. Its a BT problem, because all my friends that have Eircom and 1 has perlico dont get this problem. Although they haven't been upgraded yet.

Wait until they get upgraded then.

Interleave will increase your latency. This is common knowledge. There are other factors that can increase latency as well....

Getting some weird problems this morning on my firewall, looks like someone is scanning BTs IPs. Keep seeing these messages:

kernel: Intrusion detected
    and also
    kernel: PORT SCANNER ATTACK

Both seem to come from various IPs and happen around every ten mins....Anyone else getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tradman

I have been having the same problem as everyone else. I got on to BT Tech support for over an hour yesterday. Did every test possible. They are not really interested in ping times and speedtest.net stuff. They ask to do stupid stuff "Can you dsconnect your eircom phonewatch alarm - it might be that, or it could be Sky digital". Just make sure you are ready for these stupid trouble shooting tips.

They gave me a url : url.ie/qv. It starts to download a 600MB file. On a 3MB connection you should get 600 kbps - I was getting between 49 and 55 ! One tenth of a 3MB connection. Anyways they are putting me back to a 3MB connection in the next few days. They didnt mention a charge but other posters have said they were going to be charged 30 euro. I hope it works - the thought of giving eircom my money makes me ill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

tradman wrote: »
    I have been having the same problem as everyone else. I got on to BT Tech support for over an hour yesterday. Did every test possible. They are not really interested in ping times and speedtest.net stuff. They ask to do stupid stuff "Can you dsconnect your eircom phonewatch alarm - it might be that, or it could be Sky digital". Just make sure you are ready for these stupid trouble shooting tips.

They gave me a url : url.ie/qv. It starts to download a 600MB file. On a 3MB connection you should get 600 kbps - I was getting between 49 and 55 ! One tenth of a 3MB connection. Anyways they are putting me back to a 3MB connection in the next few days. They didnt mention a charge but other posters have said they were going to be charged 30 euro. I hope it works - the thought of giving eircom my money makes me ill :)

That "stupid stuff" solves 9 of out 10 cases, believe me. You dont have to go far into this thread or other posts to confirm that.

You said that you are having problems with speed, since when? was this always like this?

Can you post your line stats?

• Advertisement

tradman wrote: »

3mb should max out around 350kb/s not 600

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Bohrio wrote: »
    That "stupid stuff" solves 9 of out 10 cases, believe me. You dont have to go far into this thread or other posts to confirm that.

You said that you are having problems with speed, since when? was this always like this?

Can you post your line stats?

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but if I may, can I give you a run down of my problems? Sounds like you're in the business.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Getting some weird problems this morning on my firewall, looks like someone is scanning BTs IPs. Keep seeing these messages:

kernel: Intrusion detected
    and also
    kernel: PORT SCANNER ATTACK

Both seem to come from various IPs and happen around every ten mins....Anyone else getting this?
    use samspade.org or somesuch to do a Whois on the IP, see who owns it. Most times, it can be somethign simple like IRC, a messaging client or something.

Many thanks Byte - useful site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

Unbelievable news,

I spoke to a friend of a friend on Saturday who used to work for BT only recently.

He claims that BT give bad service and keep cutting off high use people. They do it to people who play a lot of games and do a lot of downloads. They want to get rid of these people and keep people who only use a bit.

They do this because they dont have the speed to cater for their customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jack222 wrote: »
    Unbelievable news,

I spoke to a friend of a friend on Saturday who used to work for BT only recently.

He claims that BT give bad service and keep cutting off high use people. They do it to people who play a lot of games and do a lot of downloads. They want to get rid of these people and keep people who only use a bit.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Think about it, why offer these new higher speeds via their LLU2 services? Those packages are going to attract two main types of consumer; the gamer and the downloader. The people who only use a little bit will opt for the less costly slower speeds. If that really is BT's plan, I hope they figure out soon that it will fail miserably. I personally don't believe that even BT have such little foresight, to try and pull this one off going the way they are going.

It may not make any sense, although interestingly I am now getting disconnected again on a 3mb line and its always when on XBLive...also an earlier poster was right about pings, they are not fixed on the 3mb either, all weekend they fluctuated from 40 up to 90.

I know for me, its definitely not an XBlive problem because my DSL light actually disappears on the modem/router and then turns red. The only way to get the connection back is to power down the modem/router and then when I power its working again. (Its also not a faulty modem/router cos its pretty much brand new)

I would really like to know if any serious gamer out there is actually still with BT and finding the service acceptable seeing as right now BT cant seem to provide the 8mb service with pings of less than 120 or the 3mb with pings of less than 40! They also seem to have lots of disconnects too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Funny... my speed issues seem to be fixed (for now) but I keep losing the connection around a certain time each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

Funny... my speed issues seem to be fixed (for now) but I keep losing the connection around a certain time each night.

I had a similar problem, turned out to be a dodgy DSL filter on the Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

I installed Vista 64 Ultimate the other day and my speeds have been pathetic since. Barely scraping 40 or 50KBps.

I'm on BT 7.6mbps (Co. Wexford) and am using a Netgear DG834PN wireless modem router.

My speeds were pretty poor prior to that also but worse in the last few days.

Could the new installation be connected to the drop or is it merely BT being even worse the past few days?

Here are some stats which make no sense to me whatsoever. Maybe there is something in here which may explain any possible problem?

2zgww8z.jpg

• Advertisement

We are also losing connection once every 24 hrs - never happened before the upgrades but apparently now ESAT seem to think this is normal.

WOW - talk about a bloody stupid service, it disconnects and doesnt come back until you unplug the modem/router!! What the hell is that about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We are also losing connection once every 24 hrs - never happened before the upgrades but apparently now ESAT seem to think this is normal.

I believe, from speaking to UTV about a similar issue, that this is done to calculate how much of your download/upload quote you have reached.
    WOW - talk about a bloody stupid service, it disconnects and doesnt come back until you unplug the modem/router!! What the hell is that about?

Not sure if thats an ISP problem there.

Sully wrote: »
    I believe, from speaking to UTV about a similar issue, that this is done to calculate how much of your download/upload quote you have reached.

Not sure if thats an ISP problem there.

That calculation reason may well be the case but neither problem happened prior to upgrades. We had a perfect 3mb service with no disconnects at all prior to this :(

It may not make any sense, although interestingly I am now getting disconnected again on a 3mb line and its always when on XBLive...also an earlier poster was right about pings, they are not fixed on the 3mb either, all weekend they fluctuated from 40 up to 90.

I know for me, its definitely not an XBlive problem because my DSL light actually disappears on the modem/router and then turns red. The only way to get the connection back is to power down the modem/router and then when I power its working again. (Its also not a faulty modem/router cos its pretty much brand new)

I would really like to know if any serious gamer out there is actually still with BT and finding the service acceptable seeing as right now BT cant seem to provide the 8mb service with pings of less than 120 or the 3mb with pings of less than 40! They also seem to have lots of disconnects too...

Same thing for me, dsl light just keeps dropping every half hour or so. Its off for about 3-5 mins, then comes back on....really really annoying since I play some xbox.

Also the speeds are still shocking, 2 months later, and BT still havent done anything for me....

He says they want the kind of user who doesnt notice speed and who only browses the net every now and again...whn you think about it there is a lot out there like that

That calculation reason may well be the case but neither problem happened prior to upgrades. We had a perfect 3mb service with no disconnects at all prior to this :(

BT Disconnects their customers every 24 hours. It has been like this for the last few years. Not matter how convinced you are, this didnt start with the upgrade, you just probably didnt notice before.

If you loose sync (dsl light goes off) then your problem is not a slow speed problem. I suggest you open a new thread and post your line stats so people can give you a hand. Also connect to the main socket, make sure you disconnect all phones and dont use extensions. If you have an alarm make sure is filtered as well as sky.

Jack222 wrote:
    Unbelievable news,

Dont think is true. I know a few people in BT and I can tell you that their bandwidth is not even at half their potential , I wonder what was the reason he left BT.... Like it has been said, BT has invested a lot of money in improving their network and the whole LLU2 rollout... I think your friend didnt end up very well with them.

Same thing for me, dsl light just keeps dropping every half hour or so. Its off for about 3-5 mins, then comes back on....really really annoying since I play some xbox.

Also the speeds are still shocking, 2 months later, and BT still havent done anything for me....

He says they want the kind of user who doesnt notice speed and who only browses the net every now and again...whn you think about it there is a lot out there like that

Same as Sar!

You have a line issue. You said BT hasnt done anything for you? Have you contacted them about this issue? I dont believe that after 2 months they havent even booked a fault neither downgrade your line, not even for testing purposes....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

BT Disconnects their customers every 24 hours. It has been like this for the last few years. Not matter how convinced you are, this didnt start with the upgrade, you just probably didnt notice before.

My internet habits have not changed at all. There is no way it was as bad as this before the upgrades, and I have a sneaking suspicion Eircon may be more responsible than people think.

kleefarr wrote: »
    My internet habits have not changed at all. There is no way it was as bad as this before the upgrades, and I have a sneaking suspicion Eircon may be more responsible than people think.

I can guarantee this was like this before... now, you are right, things has gotten worse since the upgrade and BT, as well as other ISPs, including Eircom retail, have been badly affected.

Is logical to blame this on Eircom as they decided to upgrade their lines without consulting anyone first. They did impose it and gave the other IPSs no other options, IPSs could either accept it or, well, that was it.

Now not all the issues in this thread can be attributed to Eircom's upgrade, not at all. In fact, at the beginning of this thread, there were some speed issues that were probably BT's fault or related (I renember something regarding a 78.16.x.x ip range), somehow that has gone now (it seems to be either fixed or temporarily gone) and all it remains is people with intermittent connection or high pings which has nothing to do with the reason this thread started... and, in most of the time, is out of BT or any other ISP control.

Again, in regards of BT disconnecting every 24 hours it goes back so long that it is even on their T&Cs.

I can guarantee this was like this before... now, you are right, things has gotten worse since the upgrade and BT, as well as other ISPs, including Eircom retail, have been badly affected.

Is logical to blame this on Eircom as they decided to upgrade their lines without consulting anyone first. They did impose it and gave the other IPSs no other options, IPSs could either accept it or, well, that was it.

Now not all the issues in this thread can be attributed to Eircom's upgrade, not at all. In fact, at the beginning of this thread, there were some speed issues that were probably BT's fault or related (I renember something regarding a 78.16.x.x ip range), somehow that has gone now (it seems to be either fixed or temporarily gone) and all it remains is people with intermittent connection or high pings which has nothing to do with the reason this thread started... and, in most of the time, is out of BT or any other ISP control.

Again, in regards of BT disconnecting every 24 hours it goes back so long that it is even on their T&Cs.

First of all I had BT for two years before upgrade and never had a single issue.

I was on 3mb, then about two months ago got upgraded to 6mb.
    Ever since then, my speed has been up and down, one minute I can dl at 6mb, next thing I can download at 100k. As well as this I keep getting cutting off, dsl light just goes off for about 3 mins. This can happen several times in an hour or not at all, very intermittent.

I have spoken to BT, at first they said all problems were caused by the upgrade and that it would be fixed shortly. Then they blamed my router, then they blamed my phone line. Then after confirming phone line was okay they blamed the upgrade again.
    Then they told me they would have to downgrade me to two mb....slower then I originally had. However, after downgrading my internet connection is the exact same...keeps cutting off, strange dl speeds and bad pings...

• Advertisement

First of all I had BT for two years before upgrade and never had a single issue.

I was on 3mb, then about two months ago got upgraded to 6mb.
    Ever since then, my speed has been up and down, one minute I can dl at 6mb, next thing I can download at 100k. As well as this I keep getting cutting off, dsl light just goes off for about 3 mins. This can happen several times in an hour or not at all, very intermittent.

I have spoken to BT, at first they said all problems were caused by the upgrade and that it would be fixed shortly. Then they blamed my router, then they blamed my phone line. Then after confirming phone line was okay they blamed the upgrade again.
    Then they told me they would have to downgrade me to two mb....slower then I originally had. However, after downgrading my internet connection is the exact same...keeps cutting off, strange dl speeds and bad pings...

The first symptoms are consistant to you being on an agressive profile.

The 2 mb profile is probably similar to the one you were before, therefore, if putting you back to a profile below to the one you were before hasnt solved the problem then you need to be looking elsewhere, for example, and issue with your internal setup. Have you tried a different router? We can't blame all on Eircom.

If you keep blaming all this on the upgrade you are never gonna get it fixed as you need to open your mind to other possibilities. Again, what its happening to you is not related to this thread, you should open a new one and ask people for advice.

If your connection is intermittent and slow your are most likely going to have high pings. Once you get your intermittency sorted the rest should go back to normal.

Advertisement