Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

12021222426

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭ Fighting Irish


    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just hope your speeds don't die on you when the upgrade happens.

    are download/upload speeds dying, or just ping times etc


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ parliament


    are download/upload speeds dying, or just ping times etc

    I would say the entire broadband service dies. dial-up speeds for 50-60 Eur a month is a pathetic. Seriously look at the amount of people who have had utterly worthless service since the upgrades with no fix in sight, hope you get lucky and it doesn't turn out like that for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭ Fighting Irish


    parliament wrote: »
    I would say the entire broadband service dies. dial-up speeds for 50-60 Eur a month is a pathetic. Seriously look at the amount of people who have had utterly worthless service since the upgrades with no fix in sight, hope you get lucky and it doesn't turn out like that for you.

    i taught it was just ping times etc that were badly affected?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    i taught it was just ping times etc that were badly affected?
    My pings and speeds died, speeds for me were not far from that of dial-up. Got it fixed for a while and then when Eircon brought out their new "Gamer Pack" my 3MB connection for the past 3 weeks from 5pm to 1am - 3am is round this :mad: :

    349740778.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 933 Furp


    Well I finally got Digiweb Metro installed today after ordering last month, and I am cancelling BT broadband connection tomorrow, my BT BB connection is still at 1mb since the September upgrade when it should have been 3mb.

    Here is my current BT connection speed.
    350660819.png

    And this is my new Digiweb Metro connection:
    350734558.png
    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data

    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=62
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=62
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=62
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=62


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    Well BT needn't bother charging me the me the full whack bill or think I'm going to pay it, stats as below are like this for near a month now on my so called 3MB connection :mad: :mad: :mad:

    350882489.png


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 Drift


    The last couple of days my BT connection has gone tits up altogether:

    351269105.png

    Anybody else in the Galway area having similar BT issues this week?


  • Registered Users Posts: 951 StRiKeR


    I'm in atlone and my download speed is gone as low as 5k/s, if I have anything on download, I cant even open a web page, I did a speed test but didn't save the image.

    I rang BT and they told me that my bandwidth has been throttle because I downloaded over 30gig in a week, but the connection is like that for the last 2 weeks so I dont know where I could have downloaded over 30gb, there certainly isn't 30gb downloaded since it can barely do one thing at a time.

    I'm switching ISP, anyone know if eircom is charging for cap when you go over 50GB?

    thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    I suggest anyone that are having speed issues with BT (and all other providers for that matter) to lodge a complaint with them and then lodge a complaint with Comreg:

    Comreg Consumer Helpline: LoCall 1890 229 668 / (01) 8049668
    Email: [email protected]

    The more the better and all providers along with Comreg can make and present a case to Eircom to try and get this speed issue resolved.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭ an_other


    I'm also in Athlone an my spped has gone T*Ts up too so it's not because you went over your limit.

    I contacted BT and they asked me for some info from my router.

    Can any of ye tech heads fill me in on what I should be getting?

    Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3072 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 9.3 dB 14.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 53.0 dB 29.0 dB
    Output Power 13.1 dBm 0.1 dBm


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭ kleefarr


    hellboy99 wrote: »
    I suggest anyone that are having speed issues with BT (and all other providers for that matter) to lodge a complaint with them and then lodge a complaint with Comreg:

    Comreg Consumer Helpline: LoCall 1890 229 668 / (01) 8049668
    Email: [email protected]

    The more the better and all providers along with Comreg can make and present a case to Eircom to try and get this speed issue resolved.

    I'll wait a bit and see how this new modem performs. Over the last six hours things have been better, but not great. No disconnections anyway so far.
    I'll see what it's like over the next week then will probably do as you suggest. It's the only way that we may get something sorted out.

    It may be a good idea to start a new thread for people to post that they have contacted Comreg.


  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ Cocoon


    Seems to be sorted in Swords..

    351579429.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    kleefarr wrote: »
    I'll wait a bit and see how this new modem performs. Over the last six hours things have been better, but not great. No disconnections anyway so far.
    I'll see what it's like over the next week then will probably do as you suggest. It's the only way that we may get something sorted out.

    It may be a a good idea to start a new thread for people to post that they have contacted Comreg.
    I myself have tried 4 different routers and no change, hope it works out for you.

    Not a bad idea about a thread been started for people that have contacted Comreg, would be interesting to see the numbers and if people get any where. I'll leave it to one of the mods here to decide whether it's a good idea or not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ molc


    I contacted them and they said there is nothing they can do to enforce speeds from providers! BT then rang me on the complaint to state they were handing the issue to a support complaint division that have yet to contact me. :/


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭ Username!


    an_other wrote: »
    I'm also in Athlone an my spped has gone T*Ts up too so it's not because you went over your limit.

    I contacted BT and they asked me for some info from my router.

    Can any of ye tech heads fill me in on what I should be getting?

    Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3072 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 9.3 dB 14.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 53.0 dB 29.0 dB
    Output Power 13.1 dBm 0.1 dBm

    You should drop your package to 2MB at least, your noise margin it low and attenuation is very high. You can't handle the full speeds.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭ an_other


    My speed used to by grand.

    I was getting 2.5mb down and .5mb up.
    It only slowed down in the last week.

    What kind of readings should I be getting?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    molc wrote: »
    I contacted them and they said there is nothing they can do to enforce speeds from providers!
    That's true but if they get enough complaints they will have to act on it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭ Username!


    an_other wrote: »
    My speed used to by grand.

    I was getting 2.5mb down and .5mb up.
    It only slowed down in the last week.

    What kind of readings should I be getting?
    Well your Noise Margin should really be about 15dB - Attenuation at least <40dB.

    You see, Eircom turned on Interleaving so you will get higher sync rates but lower stability - your best bet is to drop to 2MB.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭ an_other


    what's interleaving?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭ Username!


    an_other wrote: »
    what's interleaving?
    What is Interleaving?

    Basically it takes all of the packets, breaks them down into smaller parts and puts them back together in one smooth data stream, it's useful on line's that are prone to data interference or noise.

    Pros - Much more stable connection
    Cons - Higher pings, lower line rate


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Kel Varnsen


    I'm considering changing from BT to Magnet, but I'm wondering why it is that BT are unable to offer anything over 3Mb/s on my exchange, as it apparently hasn't been upgraded, yet Magnet says the same exchange is eligible for speeds of up to 24Mb/s? Surely if one can provide the max. speed, so can the other.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    My 3MB

    352087649.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭ Keith186


    My 3 MB
    352092126.png

    I'm very happy with mine. 90% consistently up to speed. When it's not I just log out/in and it's fine again.

    Anyone happen to know when Dunboyne exchange is getting upgraded?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    Keith186 wrote: »
    My 3 MB
    352092126.png

    I'm very happy with mine. 90% consistently up to speed. When it's not I just log out/in and it's fine again.

    Anyone happen to know when Dunboyne exchange is getting upgraded?
    Hope it stays like that for you after the upgrade.


  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭ curryman


    Thinking of upgrading my package with bt as they have unbundled the exchange im on i.e. foxrock exchange. The home phone is with eircom. will i still be able to get the higher speeds as i am or would i have to move the home phone to bt to get the higher speeds


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭ Keith186


    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Hope it stays like that for you after the upgrade.

    That seems to be the problem for quite a few that's why I'm wondering!


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    My 3MB is still the same here, "not working!!" :mad:

    353638224.png


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ faceman


    Crap service today from BT. 3mb line.

    353656238.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭✭ seph


    pings are between 120 to 180 constantly. Surfing is a chore and online gaming is impossible with these pings. Am on the dunboyne exchange. my speed profile was lowered with no effect on pings. Tried a new router with no effect. Never had a problem untill the upgrading:rolleyes: works were carried out on my line.
    Most recent response from BT......"Dear Customer,
    Higher pings are due to interleaving being enabled on your line. This was done to stabilize your connection so that the higher transfer rates can be delivered. As there is no BT equipment at your local exchange BT cannot disable this. The only option we have to reduce your ping times is to lower your speed profile, although there is no guarantee that your ping times will return to the same levels before the upgrade work
    ".

    What a complete and utter cock-up.What kind of clueless clowns are managing the broadband buisness in Ireland. Idiots!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭ hellboy99


    seph wrote: »
    What a complete and utter cock-up.What kind of clueless clowns are managing the broadband buisness in Ireland. Idiots!
    You can thank Eircon for that, they seem to think everything is fine everytime you ring them :rolleyes:


Advertisement