Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Kone wrote: »
    Yeah, it's 3.63.

Ok. Did you upgrade your BT current package? This one member talks about customers being on the wrong package.

Did you check the stats from your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

No I never upgraded, it's a brand new setup.

I've been through all the standard troubleshooting with BT support in India and found that everything is fine, which is amazing really considering the issue keeps occuring!

I did find this link though ---> http://taint.org/2006/04/13/140841a.html :mad:

Seems like I would have been better off with eircom! (I never thought I'd say that!)

Ah well that's enough BT bashing for now!

No I never upgraded, it's a brand new setup.

I've been through all the standard troubleshooting with BT support in India and found that everything is fine, which is amazing really considering the issue keeps occuring!

I did find this link though ---> http://taint.org/2006/04/13/140841a.html :mad:

Seems like I would have been better off with eircom! (I never thought I'd say that!)

If its anything like the connection above in the link then surely they must accept you have a fault of somesort. I would send a polite e-mail to support. I found this link at btireland.ie http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php? and see if they can do anything.

If you can get the stats from your router that would be good. I dont know myself as im with Eircom and have a netopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Yeah, it's 3.63, which was supposed to resolved this issue.

The latest version is 3.64h. That should solve your reconnection problems but your main concern should be why is your router disconnecting. How often is this happening? Do you loose sync when it does? (the DSL light goes off)

BT Tech Support is in Dublin, maybe the person was from India. In regards that link there is nothing unsual about it. BT will disconnect you every 24 hours. It has always been like this and there is nothing you can do about it. Is the way they have it setup.

Everytime you disconnect and reconenct you will get a different IP address, the only way to sort this is by getting a static IP through one of their business packages.

Ah well that's enough BT bashing for now!

What speed did you have with eircom and what have you now with BT? Also do you have the eircom Netopia router? You could always try connect that up and see if it makes any difference.

Last what else have you connected on your telephone line in the house, skyplus, alarm and how many phones around the house do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 molc

So, got to getting some stats on my connection. In summary, the real killer are these request time outs I keep getting, leading to hangs in games and disconnects from my work VPN. Note, this has been tried on three seperate windows machines, all reporting the same issue. It also shows up in the traceroutes, with some attempts failing completely. Utterly at a loss as to what the problem could be other than the BT servers. Course, I'm still trying to convince a BT engineer to notice these stats. ;)

H:\Documents and Settings\molc>ping -t boards.ie

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=58
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 7, Received = 6, Lost = 1 (14% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 85ms, Average = 42ms

H:\Documents and Settings\molc>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms voyager.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 92 ms * 47 ms bas508.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.245]
    3 57 ms 51 ms 47 ms vlan500.sw501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.124]
    4 89 ms 96 ms * 193.95.130.153
    5 51 ms 49 ms 59 ms ge1.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.20]
    6 91 ms 84 ms 67 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
    7 47 ms 36 ms 39 ms boards.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

Would people on the pelletstown exchange post up a tracert to www.speedtest.ie, I think the problem could lie with the BAS for our exchange.

qbasic wrote: »
    Would people on the pelletstown exchange post up a tracert to www.speedtest.ie, I think the problem could lie with the BAS for our exchange.

Interesting thought. The Pelletstown exchange is connected to an especific BRAS on summerhill. I dont think the issue is with that particular BRAS as it is shared with other ASAMs such as as whitehall, summerhill, cabra, clontarf, etc etc... if that was the case you will be seeing people on those exchanges complaining too and it will be easily to spot by Eircom's SMC.

My guess is that whatever is causing this is happening closer to the exchange itself if not at the exchange.

This is where my understanding of the network topology is a bit lacking. Does each provider run a BAS at the exchange (so an Eircom BAS and a BT BAS for instance), or is this part of the exchange that both providers connect into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

getting similar problems here on eircom 3mb.
    packet loss causing ventrilo skype games etc to timeout constantly

country is a joke

• Advertisement

molc wrote: »
    This is where my understanding of the network topology is a bit lacking. Does each provider run a BAS at the exchange (so an Eircom BAS and a BT BAS for instance), or is this part of the exchange that both provider connect into?

Believe me you are not alone there.

I can try explaining but Eircom's topology is a bit of a mistery for everyone!

So forget trying to figure out the way each exchange is interconnected to the other as, first is too messy and second it is constantly being changed by Eircom.

Bypassing that, the way it works is that each exchange is interconnected to a particular BRAS depending on several factors such, for example, the area.

Therefore, for example in Dublin, if you are on the north side you probably will connect through Belcamp or Summerhill but if you are on the southside you probably will connect through Priory Park or Beggars Bush...

All this can change at Eircom's convenience but it normally follows the same pattern.

So there isnt one BRAS per exchange, as that will be too expensive and too difficult to manage.. Remember that there are over 1400 exchanges in Ireland at the moment and the number is constantly growing.

Sometimes there is more than one BRAS per exchange, for example, Summerhill in Dublin, Churchfield in Cork or Mervue in Galway.

And this is only for residential lines...

It's never easy is it. So end of the day, back to square one, except now I'm pretty sure my problems are due to dropping packets at peak times on my current routing. The big question - will switch to eircom have any effect. I'm getting the feeling noone will ever be able to give an answer to that one.

And back onto BT support... ;)

It's never easy is it. So end of the day, back to square one, except now I'm pretty sure my problems are due to dropping packets at peak times on my current routing. The big question - will switch to eircom have any effect. I'm getting the feeling noone will ever be able to give an answer to that one.

And back onto BT support... ;)

Unlikely but not impossible. If it is a transmission issue between the exchange and the BRAS then it wont matter, if the problem is with a particular card or vlan then it might work...

Not sure if it is worth changing though... if it doesnt work you will be stuck with them and you would have started a new contract... although I understand your frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Bohrio wrote: »
    The latest version is 3.64h. That should solve your reconnection problems but your main concern should be why is your router disconnecting. How often is this happening? Do you loose sync when it does? (the DSL light goes off)

BT Tech Support is in Dublin, maybe the person was from India. In regards that link there is nothing unsual about it. BT will disconnect you every 24 hours. It has always been like this and there is nothing you can do about it. Is the way they have it setup.

Everytime you disconnect and reconenct you will get a different IP address, the only way to sort this is by getting a static IP through one of their business packages.

The disconnection doesn't happen everyday, just every couple of days, when it does happen it disconnects every few minutes, I just have to keep hitting connect and hope that it will actually connect and stay connected. It's extremely frustrating, especially when I am working from home. The DSL light stays on, it just drops the connection. I don't have any phones, sky boxes, alarms or anything else at all connected and I am using the main phone socket.

I won't argue about BT support actually being based in Dublin, maybe it's coincidence that I get to speak to a different Indian person every time I call?

I find it interesting that BT market this package as "always-on" when they disconnect users every 24hours, I wouldn't call that "always-on"

The disconnection doesn't happen everyday, just every couple of days, when it does happen it disconnects every few minutes, I just have to keep hitting connect and hope that it will actually connect and stay connected. It's extremely frustrating, especially when I am working from home. The DSL light stays on, it just drops the connection. I don't have any phones, sky boxes, alarms or anything else at all connected and I am using the main phone socket.

I won't argue about BT support actually being based in Dublin, maybe it's coincidence that I get to speak to a different Indian person every time I call?

I find it interesting that BT market this package as "always-on" when they disconnect users every 24hours, I wouldn't call that "always-on"

Interesting. So every 2 or 3 days you loose the connection, the DSL remains solid but I suppose that the internet light goes off. Then, you have to keep clicking connect until you get finally get connected connected. It will be good if you could right down the times this happens as well other things such as what's the realm (that's what follows the @ symbol after your username) and let them know.

When was the last time you spoke with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads i am using eircom, and spees are awfull, just did a test:

Download speed 0.2mbit
    upload 0.2mbit

What the hell?!?! i allready got a AVG tested, trojan removers, spyware stuff. Nothing found.

I am originaly suppost to be on 2.0mbit speed. and i never had any problems....

Is it global in ireland? or its just mine line?

335829141.png

Just an update on my case with BT. Seems both they and Eircom are aware of the issues on the pelletstown exchange. Good to see support clearly stating the problem. You normally feel like your details are taken and nothing is done. Now, wonder how long it will take to be fixed :)

"We are aware of a congestion problem at the Pelletstown exchange. Eircom are currently investigating this problem but we don't have a time frame for a solution yet"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

They seem to have fixed the problems on my exchange in cork. I did not have any problems last night which was a first in quite some time. Speed was 2.5mbps, upload was a shaky 350kbps and QOS held at 96% But for the most part i didnt have any of the constant cut outs

That said and done, i have most likely just jinkx'd myself...

Just an update on my case with BT. Seems both they and Eircom are aware of the issues on the pelletstown exchange. Good to see support clearly stating the problem. You normally feel like your details are taken and nothing is done. Now, wonder how long it will take to be fixed :)

"We are aware of a congestion problem at the Pelletstown exchange. Eircom are currently investigating this problem but we don't have a time frame for a solution yet"

Thats amazing, I was speaking to BT support this week and they made no mention that they were aware of these issues. I've only had tickets open for two months I guess.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I think they are getting somewhere now with the problems.
    My speeds are a lot better today and for the first time in 6 or 7 weeks I have seen 20-30ms pings.

That said it's still a bit shaky and the upload and downloads are not keeping a constant speed.

BT told me my line attenuation and line noise are some of the best they have seen, so it's certainly nothing to do with that(they tried to fob me off with that for a week)

The I was told today
    The high pings on your connection are due to interleaving being enabled on your telephone line. Eircom has done this as part of their upgrade works to deliver stable connections at higher speeds. As there is no BT equipment at your local exchange BT cannot disable interleaving from your telephone line.

Personally I think the support I have gotten is shocking.
    I was on to three tech support guys today. All gave me different answers to my problems, from interleaving to routing issues on their network to telling me they are sending me a new router and my other one must be faulty!!

How is it possible everytime I talk to someone I get a different answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭seph

yeah...same here..my ping times are generally between 90 to 210....am about 1km from dunboyne exchange...support chap at bt said my line attenuation and line noise was brilliant and the problem was to do with my computer!! I should do a "pc tune up test" and ensure my windows programmes were stable!:rolleyes: oh i get it ....its my fault, nothing to bother themselves with then eh?.....talk about passing the buck.:eek:
    anyway, as bt seem uninterested/ unwilling to take any corrective action i think it is time to take my business elsewhere. I wonder if we all decided to walk would they then decide to take an active interest in our complaints.
    Gentlemen , i believe the time is upon us. Lets walk the walk together.

I queried this today with tech support and was told that there are currently no problems with the pelletstown exchange. One of us got the facts and it wasn't me.

That really is weird. I never mentioned the pelletstown exchange in my dealings, so they worked that one out on their own.

Course, given the body of evidence I provided, they could just be using it as a way to fob me off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

I'm with BT on Pelletstown exchange as well, and last 4 days evening speeds drop to 20kBps. I was calling to support every day, and the answers they give change over time. First, they told it was my line, requested line test, downgraded me to 6mb, then 5mb, but line test was ok and the situation did not change (i.e. great service in mornings and sharp drop in speeds by 20 times at around 7pm).

Then they said that there was some problem at the exchange on Tuesday evening, which was fixed by Wednesday morning. But situation did not improve again.

Today at last they told me that it was contention on 7.6mb package (Option 3 in BT), and that "maybe, probably, we don't know, but maybe another package will have less contention" so they downgraded me to 3mb (Option 2) as a test for few days. The guy clearly said that they resell of Eircom packages and it's Eircom who can control or clear situation with contention, and that BT cannot even know what real contention is. At the same time he claimed that there's no problem at the exchange itself, that Eircom is not doing any works, etc.

We had pretty long talk about contention, bandwidth, exchange capacity, oversubscription and people downloading all the time, he said that there's download cap of 30GB, but reasons that this cap will be achieved in less than a day and they would throttle that user did not really find any understanding from his side (he understood the issue, but failed to follow any conclusions).

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

So I'm having the same issue, not with BT but with Pelletstown Exchange. My connection is with Magnet and my download speeds on a 4meg line are peaking at a mighty 30/40kbs in the evening. I've gone through the support process with Magnet and everything is fine and they concluded that the issue is Contention. Given that they dont control the exchange there's not a whole lot they can do with it.

Wonder do we have any eircom users on the pelletstown exchange here. Due to the lack of seperation of the line from Eircom, they might at least have a chance of getting Eircom to look at the issue :/

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

There are a couple of neigbours in my apartment block on eircom alright. I can see 3 or 4 wireless ssid's most of the time.

I got downgraded to 3Mb (option2) and it has made absolutely no difference. The contention excuse is not good enough, contention can be used to explain why you may not get your full download speed i.e 300kBs on a 3Mb line etc but I am on dial up speeds 90% of the time, once at 4am on a weekday I got approx 80% throughput.

This is clearly a problem either with the infrastructure or severe over subscription!

Aye, at off peak times, the connection is fairly decent but the rest of the time it's dire. By posting here, I'm really trying to get more people on this exchange up in arms and chasing Eircom for a solution as working with BT so far hasn't gotten a solution.

Wouldn't mind but I was an eircom customer upto a month ago, when I could have pushed them on this (course there was no problem then, typical!) :/

• Advertisement

If eircom customers are also experiencing this they must be aware of the issue but don't seem be bothered enought to resolve it any time soon.

I for one will be taking this up with consumer rights http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/.

Advertisement