Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we suppress the Irish language.. ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You aren't defined by your geography and language, but I do hold store in what my family and relatives did to ensure I didn't have an identity forced on me by others.
    An attitude that fits in well with the "force everyone to learn Irish" system we have now.
    Were you touched by the Irish language as a child?

You don't see the irony in stating that you don't want someone else's identity "forced" on you, then supporting the idea that forcing everyone to learn Irish teaches them "who they are and where they come from"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

I'm sick to death of being told that Irish is our native language. It is NOT our native language. It WAS the native language of people who used to live here years ago. ENGLISH is our native language. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if you're such a fan of the english language then you should probably look up the word "native" in yer dictionary. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Your grasp of your own post history isn't great either is it?
    Would you agree or disagree, that british rule here lead to deaths of many irish people? from famine ages towards 1916?
    The post I quoted contains more than enough examples, but that's not the point I was making.

the point you made was to demean my post by commenting on its grammar or wording. heres a reminder.
    As you're apparently having great difficulty with English I suggest that the curriculum is not to blame for your inability to speak Irish.

Which you then tried to turn into a non-attacking post, by posting what you really meant
    The post I quoted contains more than enough examples, but that's not the point I was making. The point I was making was this:
    The failure of Irish people to speak the language is landed at the feet of the education system and the government. However, the failure of the same school students to reach reasonable competency in other subjects is either ignored or blamed on the student.
    "Blame the teachers" is a cop-out on the part of the Irish fundamentalists. The fact is that people didn't learn Irish in school just like they didn't learn French - the difference is that teaching Irish lasted for 14 years, not the quality of the teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Slutmonkey - Care you comment on why funds were blocked, and shipments of food were blocked on route to Ireland by English authorities? Where Abdülmecid was requested to send one tenth of his original planned funds, so not to upstage the queen's dismal charity? Also, care you comment on the poor funding from Britain to help the Irish deal with the famine?

If you think for ONE moment that Britain's response to the Irish famine was anything other than dismal, then you are living in denial and 100% inaccurate.

I like also how you bring up the "hate the brits" cliché to try and strengthen your argument. It has nothing to do with hating the brits. It is documented fact that the Irish language had a setback because Britain had banned Irish in the national schools and Britain's dismal response to the famine resulted in the deaths of the greater population of Irish speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Question could then be asked why can a language be 'wonderful'.

[Refering to Mandarin] Because it's efficient and highly adaptable to new terms and phrases.
    You aren't defined by your geography and language, but I do hold store in what my family and relatives did to ensure I didn't have an identity forced on me by others.

I don't want an identity forced upon me by anyone, but I sure I'm glad I speak English as my first language.
    Not necessarily, I'd personally say that someone who defines themselves purely by morals and principles...

Did I say that I define myself 'purely' by my morals and principals?
    ...is a moralist.
    Seems sort of irrelevant to the discussion. No need to go finding labels for people.
    As a tiny country, we should take care to ensure we remember our customs, traditions and language.

Why? I'm utterly disinterested in the Irish language, drinking, bodhrans, harps, leprechans, riverdancing or religion. What things do you personally take care to remember, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

"Irish is an inferior language"

Why?

"which has been drilled into us by British occupation in Ireland for many a year"

...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You don't see the irony in stating that you don't want someone else's identity "forced" on you, then supporting the idea that forcing everyone to learn Irish teaches them "who they are and where they come from"?
    Where did I say I support forcing Irish down people's throats?

The world isn't divided into those who say "I want everyone forced to learn Irish" and those who say "Irish should be abolished.
    [Refering to Mandarin] Because it's efficient and highly adaptable to new terms and phrases.
    Meh, efficient languages.
    Sounds a bit like 1984 where Newspeak is all about making a language as efficient as possible.

Personally, I do think Irish is a beautiful language. Take the word for "bat" for instance. Sciathán leathair
    Leather wing. The imagery is so wonderfully poetic.
    I don't want an identity forced upon me by anyone, but I sure I'm glad I speak English as my first language.
    Then don't accept any language forced upon you. But don't think that Irish should die out because you have a personal issue with it.

Did I say that I define myself 'purely' by my morals and principals?

Seems sort of irrelevant to the discussion. No need to go finding labels for people.
    Nah mate, you said:
    I define myself by my principals and morals. You are what you stand for.
    Why not add in what else you think defines people if you think that way?

Why? I'm utterly disinterested in the Irish language, drinking, bodhrans, harps, leprechans, riverdancing or religion. What things do you personally take care to remember, and why?
    Grand so, then take no interest in them and allow people who are interested to maintain their interest in the culture and language without talking about how a language should die.

Azhrei wrote: »
    "Irish is an inferior language"

Why?

"which has been drilled into us by British occupation in Ireland for many a year"

...what?

How many generations will it take before Irish people start taking responsibility for the state of their language, rather than blaming previous generations who are now long dead!

Associating Irish with the past doesn't help it's future.

Promoting Irish as part of our heritage is one thing, but promoting the language as being useful in the present and on into the future is another thing altogether and theis is where we should be looking to improve the status of Irish.

• Advertisement

ArthurF wrote: »
    I would agree with TG4 broadcatsting Irish lessons, but RTE also .............. :cool:

Lessons could be initially broadcasted on RTÉ like a "edutainment" programme as was Des Bishop's "in the name of the fada" then it can be repeated multiple times during the twilight hours on TG4, not as an educational programme on TG4 during peak times as the viewers already speak Irish and may not appreciate it!

It would be helpful to learning if some more programming had Irish subtitles, either hard on the screen or as teletext.

Imagine "Father Ted" with Irish subtitles.. "Feic! Ól! Cailíní!" ;)

I heartily endorse this event and/or product.

Lessons could be initially broadcasted on RTÉ like a "edutainment" programme as was Des Bishop's "in the name of the fada" then it can be repeated multiple times during the twilight hours on TG4, not as an educational programme on TG4 during peak times as the viewers already speak Irish and may not appreciate it!

It would be helpful to learning if some more programming had Irish subtitles, either hard on the screen or as teletext.

That would be actually cool. Something like Turas Teanga.

Just watched an episode of Siar sna 60’s on TG4, it was proplsed in 1964 that Galway be an all Irish city......

That was a great success.......NOT!

Then don't accept any language forced upon you.

What, and be a mute?
    But don't think that Irish should die out because you have a personal issue with it.
    I don't have a personal issue with the Irish language. I think it should be allowed to die out because it's not useful. It's only spoken by a few thousand people.
    Why not add in what else you think defines people if you think that way?

People are defined by the choices they make, not the place they were born. The language they speak is only in indicator of where they were born, and nobody has any say in that. I feel sorry for anyone who wants to define themselves by their place of birth.
    Grand so, then take no interest in them and allow people who are interested to maintain their interest in the culture and language without talking about how a language should die.

Yes, people should have the liberty to learn whatever language they like, but when it comes to the state deciding what we should and should not learn in school, I will damn well voice my opinion. As others have said, there should be more options on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Where did I say I support forcing Irish down people's throats?

Isn't that what the mandatory teaching of Irish from Junior Infants onward is?
    If you're not giving students a choice, then you're forcing it on them. As I pointed out, Irish schoolchildren are forced to interact and learn in Irish from their first day in school. Less useful activities, like reading and writing, are left until much later on.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Slutmonkey - Care you comment on why funds were blocked, and shipments of food were blocked on route to Ireland by English authorities? Where Abdülmecid was requested to send one tenth of his original planned funds, so not to upstage the queen's dismal charity? Also, care you comment on the poor funding from Britain to help the Irish deal with the famine?

Didn't I already state that the Government's response to the problem was essentially non-existent? And that they prevented starving people from raiding the food exports (at the request of the landowners)? The government of the time did a similarly small amount for the poor of England at the time, as witnessed by the rise of the Victorian slums.
    If you think for ONE moment that Britain's response to the Irish famine was anything other than dismal, then you are living in denial and 100% inaccurate.

As I've already stated previously that their response was non existent, the only "100% inaccurate" "living in denial" posting going on here is from people who refuses to acknowledge that a) The government of the day did not plan a "genocide", b) that wealthy Irish people could have ended the famine at any time they liked. Your response not only fails to accept either of these points, but rails against me for even bringing them up! Which obviously goes to prove one of my earlier points: That the "Those evil brits" agenda is of more importance to people than actual historical fact. The whys and wherefores of History are of no interest to people here, especially when they interfere in the main topic at hand: giving out about the brits.
    I like also how you bring up the "hate the brits" cliché to try and strengthen your argument. It has nothing to do with hating the brits. It is documented fact that the Irish language had a setback because Britain had banned Irish in the national schools and Britain's dismal response to the famine resulted in the deaths of the greater population of Irish speakers.

National schools weren't created until 1831. The language was more than on its way to decline at that point as a minority language, and the Catholic Church was actively campaigning against its use. You might also point the finger at such great Irish Patriots as Daniel O'Connell, who also thought the language was a waste of time. But no, it's all the fault of the Brits and their planned famine.
    Would you agree or disagree, that british rule here lead to deaths of many irish people? from famine ages towards 1916?

At what point exactly did I suggest they weren't responsible for killing Irish people during the course of the occupation? What I did point out is that the deaths attributed to them during the famine were actually the fault of profiteering landowners. I also pointed out that the facts surrounding the British invasion and takeover of Ireland aren't as simplistic as we are taught in school.
    Which you then tried to turn into a non-attacking post, by posting what you really meant

No, I just used your clear lack of ability in one language as an example that disproves the theory that the government is to blame for the lack of Irish skills in the general population. That you took offence to me using you as an example is beside the point. The truth is that the government does far more, at much greater time and expense, to promote Irish, than it does to teach other, more relevant subjects to our students.

What, and be a mute?
    Nah, choose the language for yourself.
    I don't have a personal issue with the Irish language. I think it should be allowed to die out because it's not useful. It's only spoken by a few thousand people.
    Why should something die out because it's not useful?
    It gives pleasure to people, how is that not useful?

People are defined by the choices they make, not the place they were born. The language they speak is only in indicator of where they were born, and nobody has any say in that. I feel sorry for anyone who wants to define themselves by their place of birth.
    The language a person speaks has nothing to do with where a person is born. HAve you never met Americans with Irish who learned it due to their identifying with their Irish ancestry?

I know people who pity those who don't define themselves by the place they are born. They view them as rootless etc.

Personally, I think people are capable of defining themselves by a lot of things: their nationality, sexuality, place in the military etc.

Yes, people should have the liberty to learn whatever language they like, but when it comes to the state deciding what we should and should not learn in school, I will damn well voice my opinion. As others have said, there should be more options on the poll.

Well, you were saying the language should be left to die and that we should be concentrating on other languages. People should have the ability to choose for themselves.
    Isn't that what the mandatory teaching of Irish from Junior Infants onward is?
    Where have I ever voiced support for mandatory teaching of Irish?
    What I have done in this thread is stated my support of Irish and that I don't think it should be suppressed.
    If you're not giving students a choice, then you're forcing it on them. As I pointed out, Irish schoolchildren are forced to interact and learn in Irish from their first day in school. Less useful activities, like reading and writing, are left until much later on.
    So? Why is this relevant to me, someone who believes Irish shouldn't be a suppressed language.

How many generations will it take before Irish people start taking responsibility for the state of their language, rather than blaming previous generations who are now long dead!

I wasn't blaming anyone, I was politely incredulous at his saying that the British forced us to learn Irish for generations. I mean, what the hell? Also, I fail to see why Irish is an inferior language simply because a) it's older and less developed due to the small number of speakers, b) it's hard to learn and c) the OP suffered from the terrible state of Irish teaching in this country. Boo ****ing hoo, we all suffered the same, but nobody else is seriously proposing that the language should be forced to die.

What happened to live and let live?

I wasn't blaming anyone,

What happened to live and let live?

I wasn't getting at you, Rather I was adding to what you had said.

As for Live and let live, there are some with chips on their shoulders who can't see beyond their prejudices.

I wasn't getting at you, Rather I was adding to what you had said.

As for Live and let live, there are some with chips on their shoulders who can't see beyond their prejudices.

Oh, sorry! Likewise, I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the op, who is clearly an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

Ok here's the POV of a 17 yr old with terrible Irish.I will admit I dread an Irish class every week but I can put that aside and give the basic facts of what I see.

The curiculum for alot of subjects in this country is to say the least inadiquite. Hear the news the other day?Servey saying that alot of parents are gettig their children maths grinds,IN PRIMARY SCHOOL.

So the problem arises at the first level of education so going onto 2nd level students really haven't the foggiest as to what the teachers saying.The curiculum may be sufficient at 2nd level but not 1st level.So the common idea people have is that the language is difficult to learn and to justify not knowing it ,question its validity in our society.

Like dlofnep saod.We could be a bi-lingual country.No reason why not.

Bottom line: It shouldn't be supressed as alot of people will regret it and it'll cause alot of...problems.
    But it should either have an updated curiculum or it should become optional after primary.

And I mean come on.14 yrs and not no knowing wtf the aimsire chaite is or whether i just spelt it right is bad...very bad

PS,Is maith liom gaeilge.Honest

Oh, sorry! Likewise, I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the op, who is clearly an idiot.

Does the OP even still post on here considering the thread is 2½ years old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

No, I just used your clear lack of ability in one language as an example that disproves the theory that the government is to blame for the lack of Irish skills in the general population. That you took offence to me using you as an example is beside the point. The truth is that the government does far more, at much greater time and expense, to promote Irish, than it does to teach other, more relevant subjects to our students.

Excuse me ? I have no problem with the English language thank you very much. Just because i wrote a message quickly in a online forum, which may have been unclear, doesnt mean im an example to be used by your "righteous" arse as some sort of guinea pig to the failures of the irish government.
    At what point exactly did I suggest they weren't responsible for killing Irish people during the course of the occupation?

At what point did i say they were solely to blame?

By the way as you seem to pick what you like out of my posts ill just presume you agree with my other points.

Nah, choose the language for yourself.

You said that I shouldn't accept any language forced upon me... I thought you were implying I should reject English too, which of course is my first language. If you're talking about Irish in school, well, we don't really have much choice early on.
    Why should something die out because it's not useful?
    It gives pleasure to people, how is that not useful?

What gives people pleasure is highly subjective. Some people might find pleasure in chewing razor blades, but that doesn't mean it's useful. The point is that the state is funding the furtherance of the language. If someone likes learning it for pleasure, that's a different story. I say we have a referendum.
    The language a person speaks has nothing to do with where a person is born. HAve you never met Americans with Irish who learned it due to their identifying with their Irish ancestry?

For Heath Ledger's sake, I said language is an indicator of where a person was born. As is their accent for that matter. But neither someone's language nor their accent should define them. You speak of Americans learning Irish, fine, but I doubt they'd trade proficiency in English for it for one minute. Also, for an American to learn Irish is a clear choice. Here, it's state funded.
    I know people who pity those who don't define themselves by the place they are born. They view them as rootless etc.

Acknowledging that you were born in a certain country is not the same as defining yourself by that fact. Because of my father's work at the time, I was almost born in Soviet Russia. I'm not sure how long we would have lived there, but had I moved back to Ireland at, say, age 4, I doubt I'd be defining myself by the Russian language or the fact that I had been born there.
    Personally, I think people are capable of defining themselves by a lot of things: their nationality, sexuality, place in the military etc.

And language? Belgians speak French, Austrians speak German, Americans speak English..etc... None of those people could honestly define themselves by their language, and rightly so - the language you speak has nothing to do with 'who you are'. It's just a means of communication. I'm writing in English right now, and had I been born in Spain, I'd be writing in Spanish. English is a great language, because you can say pretty much anything you like, and express yourself to the most nuanced level. It does me fine, and I think the world could do with fewer languages, not more.

Well, you were saying the language should be left to die and that we should be concentrating on other languages. People should have the ability to choose for themselves.

Yes, but should that be a choice for the parents or the children? Irish is taught to kids at a very young age, and they wouldn't really be able to weigh up all the pros and cons of taking on the Irish language. And parents might be filled with 'culture' or blind patriotism and forget that the language won't serve their child well in the future when they get out in the world. That's why I think we should remove it from our education system, at least for those early years.

Karsini wrote: »

I think the "OP" s/he was referring to was further up the page, rather than the OP who started the thread.

I
    As I've already stated previously that their response was non existent, the only "100% inaccurate" "living in denial" posting going on here is from people who refuses to acknowledge that a) The government of the day did not plan a "genocide", b)

I never stated it was a genocide. It wasn't. But the British Government failed their duties to the Irish people. So long as we agree on that, that's fine.
    National schools weren't created until 1831. The language was more than on its way to decline at that point as a minority language, and the Catholic Church was actively campaigning against its use. You might also point the finger at such great Irish Patriots as Daniel O'Connell, who also thought the language was a waste of time. But no, it's all the fault of the Brits and their planned famine.

Nice wikipedia'ing there bub. The Irish language was still spoken throughout Ireland in the 1800's. Ireland was bilingual coming into the beginning of the 1800's. In 1800 100% of children in all Gaeltacht regions had Gaeilge as a first language, in 1860 only 5% had. Look into the demographics. I have no doubt that English was becoming popular in Ireland, but if the famine and banning of gaeilge had not of happened - Ireland would be right now a true bilingual country.

The famine and national schools killed Gaeilge. They both combined had the greatest impact on the language in recorded history. Not to mention, the influence of British rule over the years was a direct cause of it's slow downfall. This is documented fact. So yes, the British are directly responsible for the death of the language, whether you would like to accept it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

you lot are idiots,a bunch of children looking for an arguement to vent on.

sad.

People have different abilities,intrests,likes and dislikes.

its never going to change.

So there is no definate answer to this thread(although you could read my last post and gleam some sort of answer from it).

Karsini wrote: »

I have no iidea, I only just discovered the thread myself and couldn't believe what I was reading, heh.

It may be an old thread but the same argument goes around and around never to be resolved.

• Advertisement

You said that I shouldn't accept any language forced upon me... I thought you were implying I should reject English too, which of course is my first language. If you're talking about Irish in school, well, we don't really have much choice early on.
    I wouldn't really say a language that is the mother tongue of a country is really 'forced' upon people. It just happens to be the day to day language of the country. People will either get with it or remain isolated from the community.
    What gives people pleasure is highly subjective. Some people might find pleasure in chewing razor blades, but that doesn't mean it's useful. The point is that the state is funding the furtherance of the language. If someone likes learning it for pleasure, that's a different story. I say we have a referendum.
    Yes, but if it gives people pleasure and they find it a good language, then it is useful. Regardless of how subjective it is, it still can be a useful language, even if you don't think si.
    The state is funding a lot of stuff I disagree with, personally I think funding Irish isn't a bad thing although not the way the state is going about it.
    For Heath Ledger's sake, I said language is an indicator of where a person was born. As is their accent for that matter. But neither someone's language nor their accent should define them. You speak of Americans learning Irish, fine, but I doubt they'd trade proficiency in English for it for one minute. Also, for an American to learn Irish is a clear choice. Here, it's state funded.
    Don't you dare bring Heath Ledger into this:mad:
    A person's language can indeed define them, doesn't always have to be that way but it is still something people can define themselves by.
    Why are you bringing up American's trading Irish for English. Why would they? They learned English due to the country they grew up in and Irish due to a belief in their ancestry/a simple interest in the language.

I learned Irish under the funding of the Belgian government. Also learned it under the Brits.
    Acknowledging that you were born in a certain country is not the same as defining yourself by that fact. Because of my father's work at the time, I was almost born in Soviet Russia. I'm not sure how long we would have lived there, but had I moved back to Ireland at, say, age 4, I doubt I'd be defining myself by the Russian language or the fact that I had been born there.
    Uh, what?
    I said some people view others as rootles when they don't define themselves by their birthplace (I should also have put in their culture, forgot to do so)

At any rate, you might be defining yourself by being Russian. I went to school with American kids born in South Africa who viewed themselves as South African.
    And language? Belgians speak French, Austrians speak German, Americans speak English..etc... None of those people could honestly define themselves by their language, and rightly so - the language you speak has nothing to do with 'who you are'. It's just a means of communication. I'm writing in English right now, and had I been born in Spain, I'd be writing in Spanish. English is a great language, because you can say pretty much anything you like, and express yourself to the most nuanced level. It does me fine, and I think the world could do with fewer languages, not more.
    Trust me man, the Belgians are wonderfully capable of defining themselves by the language they speak, be it French, Dutch, Flemish or German.
    I never lived in Austria or America so can't speak for them. Although I did know Belgians who had never been to America but who defined themselves as American due to their watching of American TV and identifying far more with the American dialect than their own.

You saying you've never met an Irish speaker who defined themselves as such?
    I know I have.

Yes, but should that be a choice for the parents or the children? Irish is taught to kids at a very young age, and they wouldn't really be able to weigh up all the pros and cons of taking on the Irish language. And parents might be filled with 'culture' or blind patriotism and forget that the language won't serve their child well in the future when they get out in the world. That's why I think we should remove it from our education system, at least for those early years.
    Not really, I accept that parents have choices to make for their kids. Kids can't think for themselves on some issues at such an age. YOur argument on parents being filled with culture and blind patriotism could be used the opposite way. A kid might be better off learning Irish but the parents refuse as they are filled with a following of British/American culture or a blind hatred of all things Irish.

At any rate, I would support kids learning Irish as part of the curriculum until they enter secondary school and then have the choice to make themselves.

Advertisement