Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we suppress the Irish language.. ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Let's make everything optional ever.

Hey, if you didn't like this post you shouldn't have read it.

But I'm too indecisive. Can't choosing be optional for people like me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

javaboy wrote: »
    It's a trap. Everyone who actually read it knows none of her 27 kids survived past the age of 5. ;)

You're alright in my book javaboy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

But I'm too indecisive. Can't choosing be optional for people like me?

If you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

As I pointed out, and as Credit union records in Galway so eloquantly proved, native Irish Catholic landowners starved and killed the peasant classes just like the absentee landlords did. There was absolutely nothing preventing rich Irish people from alleviating the starvation of the peasants by distributing the food they were exporting. They chose not to. Yet, in typical head in the sand hypocritical Irish fashion, this is So the same would have happened if there was no english rule in ireland?

I dont agree with some of your statement. Well in this case it was a sort of a two versus one situation don't you think. I mean change would of come alot easier for the poor if they didnt have their landlords AND the british to overcome dont you think. Also did the british take over ireland to embrace or exploit it?
    As you're apparently having great difficulty with English I suggest that the curriculum is not to blame for your inability to speak Irish.

No my lack of interest in the subject in secondary school is to blame. More a science guy me.

What would i know anyways, i'm just an angry, whining GAA fan. Should we suppress the irish language? In my opinion no.

FX Meister wrote: »
    I agree

Agree with what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Getting rid of irish would be getting rid of one of the only things we still clench to , to actually call us irish.

What is it that is so appealing about defining yourself by the country you come from?

BrightEyes wrote: »
    What is it that is so appealing about defining yourself by the country you come from?

Pride in ones country i suppose? I'd prefer to be actually called by my proper country than some other country that i have nothing to do with?

Why not? It's a description of who you are. I consider myself Irish, Human and Male.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

why not just be happy to be classed as human (hu-person :D), why want to be placed in one small ethnic grouping?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    why not just be happy to be classed as human (hu-person :D), why want to be placed in one small ethnic grouping?

Because I am placed in one small ethnic grouping. It just so happens to be. I like being Irish. I'm proud of being Irish. I appreciate Irish culture. I like living in Ireland. Ireland is awesome. My accent scores me ASS when when I go foreign. I like Irish sarcasm. I like the fact that wherever I go in the world, nobody will have a political agenda against me. Yadda yadda.

Being Irish is deadly. I am also deadly, and Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

lol! nice reply... deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

We defo need to start building up the Irish language again.

How about giving you 20 extra points if you get an A1 in Honours Irish in the leaving? Or even if you are just deemed brilliant enough to actually fking speak like a native in the oral, 20 extra points on the spot. That would motivate people.

I would say start by having placenames on signs in Irish, on top, then English on bottom but would that be supported? I'm guessing not at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

We defo need to start building up the Irish language again.

How about giving you 20 extra points if you get an A1 in Honours Irish in the leaving? Or even if you are just deemed brilliant enough to actually fking speak like a native in the oral, 20 extra points on the spot. That would motivate people.

You get 100 points for an A1 in Honours Irish. That's the reward for it. Why should there be any extra award? Most people won't need or use Irish in their chosen course so increasing it's importance as a factor in determining how 3rd level placed are decided is just ridiculous.

Besides, there is already a stupid unjustified bonus system for answering other subjects in Irish.

I would say start by having placenames on signs in Irish, on top, then English on bottom but would that be supported? I'm guessing not at the moment anyway.

Just turn the signs upside down.

Unless you're a nomad, haging pride in the country you were raised in or have adopted, should give you a sense of "belonging" and if part of that belonging is learning the national language then fair play.

In many countries, of course, not learning the national language will result in social isolation.

Mairt wrote: »
    I think in some ways Ireland 'missed the boat' in regards to learning, or even forcing people to learn Irish.

Take Israel for example.

Until 1948 Hebrew was an almost extinct language as Jew's had been scattered to the four corners of the earth.

When it got it independance the Knesset (Israeli parliment) made it illegal to advertise, or post road signs in any other language but Hebrew and the returning Diaspora had no choice but to learn their old language.

I think we should have followed Israel's example.

For that to stand any chance of happening, the present government would have to lead by example shortly followed by the civil service.

Then the media would have to use Irish as the first language, unlikly to happen as there are too many who would oppose it.

We already do that don't we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NewM50Dublin.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Irish is an inferior language (which has been drilled into us by British occupation in Ireland for many a year

On the contrary, British occupation is what destroyed the language. It has been very advantageous for Irish people to have English in terms of travelling and being able to emigrate, doing business with other nations. Having English has helped us in a huge amount of ways, but we should never lose the Irish language. Even if you can't speak it, it is all around you, in all sorts of ways. There are all sorts of little things that the Irish language has influenced. Now I can't stand over all of these, but I have seen mention of some common words actually originating from Irish, so here goes:

Shanty town = sean tí (old house)
    longshore man (for dockworker) = Liongseoir (sea man)
    galore = go leir (plenty)
    Mucker (common expression for "friend" or "mate") - from "mo chara" - my friend.
    "muck" came from the Irish word for pig, which is muc (sounds like "muck"). So a muck savage is calling him piglike. There is a mountain in Donegal called Muckish so called because it supposedly looks like a pig's back.
    Smashing (as in that's smashing or very good) Is maith sin (thats very good) Irish via Liverpool to the world!

Here's an interesting book, not based on hard evidence, but plausible:
    How the Irish Invented Slang: The Secret Language of the Crossroads (Counterpunch) (Paperback)

We have other things like our placenames. As most people know, Dublin comes from "Dubh Linn" meaning Black Pool. The common name Átha Cliath, actually referred to another nearby village. These two places grew up into one larger place with Dubh Linn being anglicised to become Dublin and with Átha Cliath also being retained. All around Ireland we have placenames that are direct translations, anglicised versions, or completely different, like Dublin's names. We have Baile becoming Bally, Cill becoming Kill or Kil and many others. Ros, Dun, Derry and lots of other parts of names come from Irish. Dún Laoghaire is of course the Fort of Leary.

We have many everyday Irish words that we use without thinking about it. We don't have a Prime Minister in Ireland any more than Britain has a Taoiseach. We could try to get rid of the Irish language, but in doing so we'd take away a lot from the English that we use. Even for those that deny it or don't have a good grasp of it, like myself, the Irish language is very much part of what we are, in a myriad of ways. So we should do something to preserve it. Lots of countries look at us and wonder why we don't do more to preserve it.

Flukey wrote: »
    Shanty town = sean tí (old house)
    The Oxford Concise English dictionary claims it's "perhaps" from Canadian French "chantier" meaning a lumberjack's cabin or a logging camp. Though the Irish one makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I dont agree with some of your statement. Well in this case it was a sort of a two versus one situation don't you think. I mean change would of come alot easier for the poor if they didnt have their landlords AND the british to overcome dont you think. Also did the british take over ireland to embrace or exploit it?

Your original statement was that the famine was all the fault of those evil Brits with their genocidal potato blight plan. Your current re-appraisal merely reinforces my earlier point that, as with a lot of Irish history, the "hate the Brits" agenda (supported by the teaching of history in our schools) far outweighs any interest people might have in factual information. Why listen to inconvenient documentary evidence when you can rant, red faced in the pub about those evil brits and sing a rebel ballad afterward?

Why did the British take over Ireland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudabiliter

They were invited in as part of a local power struggle?
    The pope wanted them to?
    The invading forces were Norman (who had just conquered the English don't forget) and the Evil Strongbow's troops were Welsh?

But again, don't let a few inconvenient facts get in the way of your anti-british ranting.
    No my lack of interest in the subject in secondary school is to blame. More a science guy me.

So your lack of ability in English is your fault, but your lack of ability in Irish is the Government's fault? I maintain that the teaching of Irish is no worse, and in most cases is significantly better, than the teaching of other subjects in Irish schools. (Irish schoolchildren are surrounded by Irish all day long from their first day in school, and learn it before they're taught reading and writing.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Bah read through the first 8 pages and gave up then.

Imo, Irish should be made an optional choice.

As for mandatory subjects I reckon it should be English, Maths + one extra language.

The government should stop pouring Cash down the drain and forcing peoiple to learn irish for certain positions.

The world is shrinking and it's a personal choice wether you want to hold onto a shrinking identity or embrace a global identity (IMO - everyones opinion differs though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Language is a tool ffs. How can there be anything 'beautiful' about it? How the hell can we 'know who we are' by the language we speak?? I'm not defined by my geography OR my language. I define myself by my principals and morals. You are what you stand for. You are not the language you speak.

We are a tiny country, and we should stop looking inward all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Language is a tool ffs. How can there be anything 'beautiful' about it?
    I started learning Mandarin about 5 years ago, and found it to be a wonderful language
    Question could then be asked why can a language be 'wonderful'.
    How the hell can we 'know who we are' by the language we speak?? I'm not defined by my geography OR my language.
    You aren't defined by your geography and language, but I do hold store in what my family and relatives did to ensure I didn't have an identity forced on me by others.
    I define myself by my principals and morals. You are what you stand for. You are not the language you speak.
    Not necessarily, I'd personally say that someone who defines themselves purely by morals and principles is a moralist
    We are a tiny country, and we should stop looking inward all the time.
    As a tiny country, we should take care to ensure we remember our customs, traditions and language.

You aren't defined by your geography and language, but I do hold store in what my family and relatives did to ensure I didn't have an identity forced on me by others.

An attitude that fits in well with the "force everyone to learn Irish" system we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

An attitude that fits in well with the "force everyone to learn Irish" system we have now.

Were you touched by the Irish language as a child?

Your original statement was that the famine was all the fault of those evil Brits with their genocidal potato blight plan.
    where exactly have i been bashing brits? when throughout my posts is merely an appraisal of the irish as a language and how it would be a shame if it was lost?
    You're the person going over board, blowing peoples statements out of proportion? If i like the irish language, it doesnt mean i hate brits. I would have thought that was clear.
    So your lack of ability in English is your fault
    Well i've never had any complaints of people not being able to understand me to be honest. How do i have a lack of ability in english?
    but your lack of ability in Irish is the Government's fault?
    I said that the curriculum needs to go under revision if the language is to flourish.
    Personally, given the choice between being associated with a land that features probably the greatest proportion of literary, musical, philosophical, scientific, legal, humanitarian, and inventive minds in the world, and being associated with a land of whinging, begrudging, GAA fans, I think I'd be happy to be on the side of Stephen Fry

So, you're classing yourself as a whinging, begrudging gaa fan? Or just everyone else who doesnt agree with you?

As a tiny country, we should take care to ensure we remember our customs, traditions and language.

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

You get 100 points for an A1 in Honours Irish. That's the reward for it. Why should there be any extra award? Most people won't need or use Irish in their chosen course so increasing it's importance as a factor in determining how 3rd level placed are decided is just ridiculous.

Besides, there is already a stupid unjustified bonus system for answering other subjects in Irish.

I suppose it depends on how you view the language, if you really think it's a waste of time then yes, a bonus system is stupid...
    It's just that introducing a bonus like that for the oral might get people to see Irish as a positive activity that will get them somewhere and might reverse the situation where a majority of students see it as a useless waste of time.

to be honest if the way it is taught was changed to just build up as much vocabulary as possible like we do with french and german, and we had an 'Irish grammar for dummies' type book that was accessible it would go a long way imo to restoring the language. I would be in favour of making it optional at leaving cert level if we just had a good enough spoken level at junior cert.

Karsini wrote: »

Leave the signs as are. Everything a-okay.

• Advertisement

"I mean, its not their fault a few thousand of our ancestors died while being oppressed by a foreign country..."
    The rod's out, but nothings biting on that statement anyways.
    where exactly have i been bashing brits? when throughout my posts is merely an appraisal of the irish as a language and how it would be a shame if it was lost?

Your grasp of your own post history isn't great either is it?
    You're the person going over board, blowing peoples statements out of proportion? If i like the irish language, it doesnt mean i hate brits. I would have thought that was clear.

My original post, that you responded to, was a clear, and rational refutation of the OP's borderline-fanatical gibbering. All I did was point out (amongst other things) that contrary to what we are taught in school about the famine, the Evil Brits were not sitting around the fireside planning on ways to exterminate the Irish by means of multiple crop failures. Starvation, and the famine as a whole, could have been easily avoided if the landowners (native catholic Irish included) had simply used some of the export surplus. They chose to profit instead. Yet this simple fact doesn't even get glossed over in history lessons - it gets buried. And given the choice between aiming invective at the Government of the time (whose official policy in all matters was not to get involved, the ultimate in "small government"), or the profiteers who bore responsibility for the artificial famine, invariably the Brits get it in the neck. That's an interesting observation no matter which side of the fence you're on. I don't take offence at it - but I do enjoy pointing it out.
    I also take great enjoyment from not speaking, reading, or listening to any Irish, especially the vitriol or accusations of unpatriotic behaviour that that tends to engender in its supporters.
    Well i've never had any complaints of people not being able to understand me to be honest. How do i have a lack of ability in english?

The post I quoted contains more than enough examples, but that's not the point I was making. The point I was making was this:
    The failure of Irish people to speak the language is landed at the feet of the education system and the government. However, the failure of the same school students to reach reasonable competency in other subjects is either ignored or blamed on the student.
    "Blame the teachers" is a cop-out on the part of the Irish fundamentalists. The fact is that people didn't learn Irish in school just like they didn't learn French - the difference is that teaching Irish lasted for 14 years, not the quality of the teaching.

Advertisement