Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Street lights have turned off again now here as the sky brightens up ever so slightly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

My bro in law just rang me and is stuck in the Blancardstown dip on the M50 and traffic is at a stand still. He is just back from Wicklow and wanted to know what the fuss was about up here. Bone dry in Wicklow according to himself.

A few more strikes over N Dublin county but not as bad as awhile ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Can we expect much more rain in North Tipp tonight? Got a bit of an emergency . . . septic drain field is flooding due to all the rain.:(

nemonoid wrote: »
    Rain has all but stopped here now and totally calm again, last downpour gave 4mm in about 5 minutes.
    Your downpour is over me now. Lashing again.

90mm/hr rain rate just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

pretty heavy around cabra, we're now in our wellies in the kitchen :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PatCarr

I hope the skies open up. Clear this muggy weather right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I am actually up in the attic in my gaff trying to study for an exam on Tuesday - the rain is so heavy I can't concentrate! Seems to be very heavy and then eases off, and then comes back again. The odd rumble of thunder can be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PatCarr

The GAA on the tv looked cool. Lights on at 5 o clock...

That last downpour there had very gusty winds with it.
    56mm today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Wife stuck in mother-in-laws house in Marino. My sister works in the Airport. She can't get out because most of the car park including the exit is under nearly a foot of water (her car is ok though - on a high point). The roads into, out of, and around the airport are all closed. Already people are texting the radio stations to ask why has so much chaos been caused, and in particular, they are saying that the Gardai are nowhere to be seen. Other texts are saying that manholes have been blown off on Ballymun Rd and are shooting like fountains several feet in the air.

I've got a feeling that today will be spoken of in the same tones as the storms of July '85.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭highdef

Well Northwood Ave through my estate in Northwood, Santry appears to be currently the main road from Dublin to Belfast. Traffic has been very heavy the past few ours and the Belfast Bus Eireann bus passed through recently. Road is normally rather quiet as it is a private estate. With M50 impassable, Santry village under feet of water and the M1 flooded at the Port Tunnel, this private road is the only way to get from the M1 to the city!!!

Oh, rain has eased now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Road outside my house in Prosperous is under a 2 feet of water. Several neighbours have sandbagged their houses to keep the water out but its not easy when stupid muppets boot down the road and cause bow waves that wash over the sandbags. Lucky me is on a hill so I'm ok but the neighbours are in trouble if this rain doesn't ease off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Fairly much finishing up here I think but the day rainfall is up to 1.94 inches now! Would love another 0.6 just to get to the even 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

My other half just had a text from her sister who is driving from Limerick - she's been stuck on the M50 heading northbound after the tollbridge for about 90 minutes :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Is it gonna me more of the same lads for the rest of the night? Do we expect it to ease up at all???

Road outside my house in Prosperous is under a 2 feet of water. Several neighbours have sandbagged their houses to keep the water out but its not easy when stupid muppets boot down the road and cause bow waves that wash over the sandbags. Lucky me is on a hill so I'm ok but the neighbours are in trouble if this rain doesn't ease off.

try putting a breaker line of sand bags in front of the others, if you have enuf sandbags

Seems like a small shower approaching W Dublin and then it's finished.
    Already heavy showers are appearing on the western seaboard but these wont penetrate to far inland to cause more hassle over in Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

very POOR in dalkey!! I'd say we barely got 5 mm this afternoon! moderate rain easing off now...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caz34

Just got back from a 4 hour trip from D13 (normally 50 mins) to Navan Road. The M50 was badly flooded at Finglas and worse at Blanchardstown. On Infirmary road water was gushing out of the drains and flowing in a river down to the quays. Total nightmare journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I was on m50 from 5.45 to 7ish going south very bad between finglas and blanchardstown traffic was using the middle lanes to get by the flooding, luckily there was no heavy trucks or machineary working at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Luckily we've five rivers in the area to take it all away. 34mm fell here today, and looking at the radar, North County Laois was worse hit than here in the south. The Nore will be fairly brown in the morning, worm on hook for the fishermen tomorrow.

I looked at the 24 hour accumulation on NW and it appears that the Slieve Bloom Mountains kicked off the showers big time to give North Kildare and Dublin the downpours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Danno wrote: »
    Luckily we've five rivers in the area to take it all away. 34mm fell here today, and looking at the radar, North County Laois was worse hit than here in the south. The Nore will be fairly brown in the morning, worm on hook for the fishermen tomorrow.

I looked at the 24 hour accumulation on NW and it appears that the Slieve Bloom Mountains kicked off the showers big time to give North Kildare and Dublin the downpours.

Rivers can bring to you as well.

Lusk is flooded. Many cars stuck in the water. Avoid. Avoid the R125 at Kilsallaghan - cars getting stuck where the road meets the river.

R125 is unpassable at the junction with the naul road. Naul road from R125 to Airport almost unpassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Was meant to be fishing on a boat out of Scraggane, but skipper cancelled as Met gave gales.
    Left castlegregory at about 1:30 (so I could listen to Wexford game) then
    3 1/2 hours to red cow, then another 4 1/2 home
    Tried to be smart and avoid m50,..
    Drumcondra at a standstill, cut across to phibsborough and up mobhi rd,
    Ballymun rd at a stadstill too, so went up Ballygall and cut back to Ballymun rd at Pappins rd
    eventually found myself with a river flowing to my left and nowhere to go..
    a line of cars gingerly followed each other with abandoned cars on each side. Made it back to Northwood with my heart in my mouth .. :eek:

Still artics going through northwood

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Final figure for today is 2.07 inches. That's more than I've seen in a long time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Will be seeing much rain or any thunderstorms tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Weathers sh1te isnt it

Final total was 56.6mm
    Dub Ap had 56mm and
    Hurricane Charlie had 60mm in Aug 1986

Will be seeing much rain or any thunderstorms tomorrow?
    Hit and miss really, there is some showers near knocking on your door atm. Heavy ones again tomorrow i'd say west and NW will bear the brunt.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Was at the matches at Croker today, didn't mind getting completely soaked as I figured I'd be home in Carlow within a few hours.

The 8:45pm bus from Dublin departed from George's Quay at 12:45am. The bus had been used on a previous trip to take people to the airport and spent several hours travelling just a few miles in North Dublin. It then had to come into the city for us.

Thunder and lightning hit parts of Co. Kerry today, knocking out power supplies. What happened in Dublin was unreal. Carlow, from what I'm told, was mostly dry with the odd shower. Lucky for some :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A little bit of confusion out there?

Met E website, and Gerry Murphy on the radio this morning on the 7.55 forecast, confimred that 76.2mm of rain fell yesterday (24 hour period) at Dublin Airport surpassing the Hurricane Charlie record set in 1986.

Straight after Met E forecast, 8.00 news reporting a total of 54.0mm fell in the 24 hour period at Dublin Airport.

For the record, I recorded 34.8mm.

Advertisement