Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dublin area -- just noticed on meteox radar the possible signature of a severe thunderstorm appearing as of 10 mins ago ... heading ENE

On the ball MT! Just heard distant rumble of thunder (I think?)!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Heard Thunder now, cell approaching the Dublin area now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like two seperate but close cells - northern one will certainly miss me. Light rain just started here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

It is bucketing down here in Maynooth, a cloudburst. At least 5 rumbles of thunder so far, one really close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

djhaxman wrote: »
    It is bucketing down here in Maynooth, a cloudburst. At least 5 rumbles of thunder so far, one really close.

This makes my identical report from Leixlip very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The sky to the west of Swords looks manky...:)

StormVue picking up some sFerics too :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Nice bit of action here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Looks like its about to hit palmerstown,,looks very dark.and the dog is under the table.

Getting very dark here now with just the odd very distant rumble.

cuppa wrote: »
    Looks like its about to hit palmerstown,,looks very dark.and the dog is under the table.

So am I - thank God for wireless..!!!

• Advertisement

First cell just sliding to my NW over Dublin AP. Faint rumbles but no lightning observed yet.

Rumbles getting louder, sky is jet black to my WNW

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I seem to have been under the very northern edge of it here in Balbriggan, the rain has been quite light but there was lots of thunder and in-cloud lightning directly overhead. Its now just to the NE but still making lots of noise.

Spoke to my brother in Santry just now. He reckons something nearby was hit by lightning, given the massive flash and instantaneous blast that followed. Can anyone else confirm this?

Mobile phones gone in the Santry area, perhaps mobile mast took a direct hit?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Absolutely torrential rain in Clonee. My garden is under water. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Rain has stopped and the storm is moving on but just had another bit of thunder just there.

Looks like southside misses out once again!!! :mad: Can see very dark clouds to my north and north west and bits of blue sky to my south!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Lashing it down here in Ayrfield (Dublin 13), continuous rumbles and some claps of thunder with flashes of lighting. Can't be more than a couples of miles or so from the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The occasional rumble here, no lightning seen yet, heavy rain.

• Advertisement

Coming directly overhead here now, lightning is all round me here.
    Some huge booms now.:D

Rain rate 85.6mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Getting lashed out of it for the past 30 mins in Finglas. My backyard is flooded and there seems to be lightning strikes every minute or so and very loud thunder. still no letting up as of yet

Scrap last post! Thunder close by here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

thought it was easing off here in d20 ,,but rain has picked up again.Not as heavy cos i can see the toll bridge.
    Hasent been any lighting ,,just a few faint rumbles..Dog decided to hide in the bathroom behind the door.

Storm seems to have exploded as it reached the coast. Lightning has intensified off Rush coast

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

These pics were taken about 15 minutes ago, the back garden is worse now. :eek: Actually beginning to get a bit worried now.

Flashing off to my west and SW again. Floods galore around here.
    Rain rate still above 60mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭squonk

Storm just passing off here now. Seems to have gotten more electrified as it came inland. Going in a SE direction now as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Where is this thunderstorm? Havent't really seen anything of it here in the Glasnevin area apart from the very heavy rain - might possibly have heard a rumble and seen a flash but that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Torrential rain in Malahide, Thunder & Lighting, the works! This is great craic lads:D Welcome change from the regular crappy rain we have:D

Advertisement