Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Renewed risk today for some fireworks with most areas at risk of a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

That's what I want to hear. It's certainly humid and warm enough anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

This mornings murk and rain have cleared from here, and its a breezy bright morning/midday. Certainly still warm and humid in that sun,with plenty of cumulus, though they don't look like developing into anything as yet, they are blowing along nicley on the breeze. We'll have to see what today brings,certainly the ingredients are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snowbie wrote: »
    Renewed risk today for some fireworks with most areas at risk of a storm.

What areas are looking to be most at risk today snowbie?

33lfbmc.png

• Advertisement

Serious rain pushing into Kerry just now. If this moves up the country, could it have the potential to kill off any potential? The approaching cloud would kill the sun's effect anyway?

squonk wrote: »
    Serious rain pushing into Kerry just now. If this moves up the country, could it have the potential to kill off any potential? The approaching cloud would kill the sun's effect anyway?

Looks like that rain is moving west/southwest. It doesn't look like its going to move up the country.

That rain is circulating around the LP just off the SE coast.

Risk areas anywhere in the CAPE and LI values in the attach. But only if there is prolonged sunshine to generate surface warming. Total airmass setup. Hit and miss.
    Anywhere away from the very east and south coast at first and SW will have a chance if sun pokes through. Radar and Satellite viewing will give you an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I can see some nice Culumus bubbling up outside from my front door. Still fairly cloudy overall but sun appearing now and again.

I was just outside to get lunch. To me it seems too fresh today for any major potential... but I could be wrong (and probably am)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Just looked at StormVue, its reporting some sferics in a trail from Dublin Bay head SSE. Just off Wicklow looks particularly active, however there is nothing on any of the online rainfall radars to substantiate this. Can anyone confirm if we have a storm just off the coast?

shamwari wrote: »
    Just looked at StormVue, its reporting some sferics in a trail from Dublin Bay head SSE. Just off Wicklow looks particularly active, however there is nothing on any of the online rainfall radars to substantiate this. Can anyone confirm if we have a storm just off the coast?
    No storm. In laymans terms, this happens when a particular storm (in this case now over SW UK) signature sky hops untill the detector tracks the storm accurately.(depends on the strength of the storm, the more stronger the quicker the accuracy) This happens with all single point lightning detectors.

No storm. In laymans terms, this happens when a particular storm (in this case now over SW UK) signature sky hops untill the detector tracks the storm accurately.(depends on the strength of the storm, the more stronger the quicker the accuracy) This happens with all single point lightning detectors.

Interesting...a lightning anaprop!

shamwari wrote: »
    Interesting...a lightning anaprop!
    Similar but not quite. Anaprop is a false doppler return whereas you can have a false lightning strike from local interference. But on this occasion the signal is detected but ranged incorrectly.

Thunderstorms over Wales again now but depending on the track of the LP to the SE and how fast it moves up through England will not spiral them into the Irish sea or they just might if the LP becomes stationary. Interesting next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

We had a torrential downpour about an hour ago with a few rumbles of thunder.

Anvils clearly visible from the Wales storms from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Plenty of cumulonimbus visible inland here, but mostly swift moving showery type clouds, its been a mainly dry bright and breezy afternoon here.
    I'd be very interested to get some rainfall figures from Kerry/Cork, as Met Eireann radar has shown that front pivoting around Kerry, no let up in rain since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

got a good storm there about 2 hours ago up here in trim co.meath.fork lightning actually hit a neighbors television mast! the whole house shock from the thunder.sky here looks very promising indeed for the rest of the day.radar shows it.hope to get a good video.pity i missed that strike earlier on in the day

Anvils clearly visible from the Wales storms from here.
    Yeah I can see a good line of them and cb's out over the sea.
    Checked am radio there and it's going mad with crackles.

• Advertisement

Hope the house wasn't damaged and nobody was injured. It was only when the electricity went after a near overhead strike last night and I was sitting there wondering what was going to happen with the next strike that I realised that fun and all as the fireworks are, there's a dangerous side to them too.

indeed.the house looks ok. i'd say who ever was in it got a fright.the flash was very bright but the clap of thunder was insane! hope more storms brew up later.wales are getting a hard pelting with them!

Latest from StormVue, it looks like the storm off the Welsh Coast has blown east over Anglesey. :(

dammit was hoping for it to head across the Irish sea since the low pressure is swinging right around :(

gud thing is there's a storm back in Trim:)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Thunder and Lightning around Kells for the last half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Lot of action on storm vue around south donegal but would love to be in england even on a plane to birmingham

lots of anvils and distant rumbles of thunder forming around the trim area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

The anvil above Meath as seen from my balcony in Santry can be seen in the photo section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I could hear a lot of thunder from a large anvil in Dunshaughlin direction about 20 mins ago.

Advertisement