Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

What ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭squonk

What is happening with this shower? All day the predominant travel of the chowers has been SW to NE but this seems to be travelling SW to SE. It's just bubbling up here again now. I reckon we're heading into another arm of it because it was just getting bright but has gotten dark here now again. Still rumbles of thunder and some decent flashes. Is there another system coming into contact with an exisitng one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Sferics easing off a tad but rumbles can still be heard.

Edit more lightning to my North. Lots of IC in this one
    Rain rate back upto 84mm/hr

Still very lively here in Rush snowbie. THe lightning seems to be quite high up. The sound of the thunder is untreal, almost echoy...

Yea i witnessed more lightning there m8.

Max rain rate at 111.8mm/hr and upto 27mm of rainfall for the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Same here, still lingering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Dying down here now pretty much stopped :(

!1000TH POST!

It's a good show here. Lightening is high up IC for the most part. One or two nice CG's though but the thunder is great

Rain here is still torrential, the core of the storm looks like it might have moved offshore now.

Max rain rate upto 129.5mm/hr
    Some lightning still to my north and it's IC.

33.8mm today and nearly 25mm from this storm.

• Advertisement

Rain has gotten torrential here now and there's a breeze picking up and still some rumbles

My god.... rain rate 3.39 inch/hr now and a total so far for today of .8 inch!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just had a few massive booms of thunder here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No more thunder here for the past 10 minutes, still raining but sky beginning to break up. Anything still out there?

Edit: Looks like it's moving east out to sea.

Power gone now in Santry. I believe many roads in the city are seriously flooded.

From AA Roadwatch site:

MAIN TRAFFIC* * There are heavy downpours throughout the country and there is a lot of surface water to contend with. Slow down, stay a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you and be vigilant.
    *LAOIS* A river has burst it's banks along the Ballyroan to Portlaoise Rd at Cashel Cross. One lane is open to traffic. Avoid the area if possible though. Gardai and emergency services are on the scene. Expect delays.
    *KILDARE* Flooding around the Celbridge town. Many roads are impassable. Avoid any unnecessary journeys and Main St in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

it's up over my car wheels in cabra :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Got caught outside in it (Ballyfermot/Chapelizod). Watched, helpless, as a wall of water approached me. Totally unreal looking. Drenched beyond belief. My shoes were filled within a couple of seconds :(

Arrived home a couple of minutes later to find my balcony flooding. Spent half hour bailing it out with a bucket. Never thought I'd have to do something like that in a second floor apartment :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hmmm. Rainfall radar is showing lots more heading towards Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fire Brigade just left the station here in Newport, guessing responding to flooding calls. It is bucketing down at the moment!

• Advertisement

Rain is lightening off here but I'm up to 1.05 inches of rain today so far. My guage is slightly sheltered so I'd even add a nit to that figure more than likely. Unreal! Still some thingder booming but it's getting more distant now

Saw that alright. IF the current humidity continues then these showers could explode too.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

Lots of cells now building over the west

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Easing off here in Ayrfield now, still the odd distant rumble of thunder. Persistant rain, but much less heavy than it was.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No thunderstorm here - just a couple of rumbles. However rain is intense!

24.1mm of rain reported at Dublin AP at 1700

My rain gauge is acting the maggot :mad::confused::mad: of all the f*****g days!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Just kicked off again in D20 ,,,,heavy rain again

36.8mm today and still raining.
    25.9mm in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Still heavy rain - there's flooding in the garden - a little lake under the plum tree! Only 15.9 now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

cuppa wrote: »
    Just kicked off again in D20 ,,,,heavy rain again

Ditto here in Clonee. Had a respite of about 20 mins with just light rain, pouring down again now. If this keeps up tonight and tomorrow, we're in trouble. The ground was already pretty wet yesterday when I cut the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowbie wrote: »
    http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

Lots of cells now building over the west

Bet you they'll head for north Dublin!

Advertisement