Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

And it's not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

well we circled over Dublin airport for about 20 minutes waiting for thunderstorms to abate before landing and the road home was flooded.

what a lovely welcome after two days away. argghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Two individual cells have exploded over the midlands with and east track to them. Radar returns don't show them up yet nor any Sferics so far.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

Edit: Just appeared on radar in last 5 min run.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

wouldnt like to be stuck on the m50 now:
    Site0Camera89.jpg

That's quite a puddle! :D

Satellite is showing some major CBs to the west of Dublin. Huge they are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

:(Talk about weird - theres a hole in the cloud just east of Portrane with blue sky visible. I saw some aircraft departing and arriving fly through it. I can also see sea fog rolling onshore from the sea around Portrane. The sky west of Swords looks like it's brewing up again as it did earlier. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

wouldnt like to be stuck on the m50 now:
    Site0Camera89.jpg

WOW excellent stuff, thats missed here totally. Thats a a dampner on a Saturday night for many for sure. The tailbacks must be huuuge!!
    Should also add, why the feck are is there such flooding, its hardly a one in 10 year etc occurrence?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Take a look at the Blanchardstown exit on the N3. Totally backed up outbound due to flooding on the N3 at the Centre.
    Problem for me is I have to get from D15 to Tallaght in back in the next hour, don't think it's happening !

First lightning in the Midlands.

Yep first sferics. Looks to be a S Dublin bearing this time.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »
    Yep first sferics. Looks to be a S Dublin bearing this time.
    Nope, looks like the CB is dissipating on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Very quiet here now in D13 as I'm sure Snowbie will attest.
    Anything else coming our way later, Snowbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭highdef

My parents are currently trying to get from Baldoyle to my apt in Northwood, Santry for dinner but they're having no luck. Stuck in Beumont now!!!. M50 is a defo NO NO. Anyone been traveling that way by any chance???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

very very heavy rain again in celbridge atm, never seen the likes of the flooding in this area.

Very quiet here now in D13 as I'm sure Snowbie will attest.
    Anything else coming our way later, Snowbie?
    Looks like somewhere i'd say north of Swords and south of Drogheda is going to get another severe downpour in the next half hour.

Radar has the intensity slightly dropped compared to 5mins ago though.

Lightning again now over the N Dublin county area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Massive flash and bang here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭squonk

Heavy rain kicking off here again now. Haven't seen any more lightening or heard any thunder. What I thought was thunder a while ago was a low flying jet I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Its so dark the street lights are coming on early in Balbriggan. I was just about to turn on the radio to listen for sferics when lightning flashed right overhead. Large drops starting to fall now. We missed out on the very worst of the deluges earlier.

Yeah, I was just about to post about how dark it has gotten in the past few minutes msyelf! It's only 25 to 9... it's crazy.

• Advertisement

A rumble of thunder and some more rain here in Rush. It's looking like its gonna kick off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Absolutely torrential rain here now with winds gusting to over 40km/h

No sign of local thunder or lightening here just yet but the rain has kicked off again in a big way

Does anyone know if the M1 northbound from Whitehall is open?

Looks like it's all going to miss the city. Curses!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

My mate took FIVE HOURS to get from Naul to the city centre this evening due to the floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭highdef

Torrential again here in Northwood, Santry. Wind has suddenly come up too. Looks like this is the last blast before it finally clears!!! The place is in a state. Parents had to turn back :(

Still calm here... no wind yet but it's pouring outside. .95 inches/hr right now. Very nice effect as the sun is going down with the cloud. It's brightened things up again anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Rain has all but stopped here now and totally calm again, last downpour gave 4mm in about 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 shantow

you wouldn't put a dog out in de weather in Knocklyon currently:P

Advertisement