Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

3rd level/LC/JC Maths/Physics/Chemistry grinds required/offered

• 02-12-2004 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi Guys, :D

I did my LC couple of years ago and failed maths. I want to re-sit my maths exam in order to do a course i'm interested in. Basically i’m looking for 1-on-1 tuition, my mind is totally black and I think I would have to thought from scratch. I'm prepared to do what it takes - are any of you up for the challenge to fit & ready for 6 months time. Being very honest, I just want to pass the bloody thing. If you’re in the Dublin c.c. area, or anywhere in Meath and free for a couple of hours in the evenings / weekends, pls get back to me.

Cheers,

Fly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pooka

If you’re in the Dublin c.c. area, or anywhere in Meath and free for a couple of hours in the evenings / weekends, pls get back to me.

I'm not really free anytime, but if you live in Meath you might be reasonably close to Maynooth - you could ask at the maths department there if there are any tutors who'd be willing to take you. You might find a student or postgrad who could help.

Alternatively, there may be teachers at your local secondary schools who offer grinds, in which case you might benefit greatly from finding one - since they know the curriculum inside out (in general), they may be able to help more than a graduate or university student.

Cian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

Hi I might be able to help out, I'm doing a masters in maths physics in ucd, so I'm pretty close to the city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pantalaimon

Fourth Year Maths Physics BSc. @ UCD offers his services to Leaving Cert Maths/Applied Maths students.

25€ an hour (20€ if nice coffee is offered).

Highly qualified, competitor in MCM and IMO as a kid.

PH: 085-1488087

Please Leave caller ID on so I can ring back, I am notorious for missing calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SBob

Hi,
    Just after completing a masters in maths-physics in UCD,
    I'm available to give grinds in junior or leaving cert maths, or third level maths (not financial).
    PM if interested, or ring 0879573150, thanks
    (Based in Rathmines, but will travel if not too far eg Dublin city anywhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Hello

I'm looking for someone to give me maths grinds at third level/graduate level.

They should be patient :) and willing to teach me a specific topic from scratch. I used to be good at maths, but it's been years since I studied it in college (as part of Computer Science.)

The area of interest is Elliptic Curves.

Can anyone recommend anyone or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Honestly, I reckon a textbook is the way to go. Find something basic on applied cryptography, there'll probably be a user-friendly introduction. Maybe after that, read the wikipedia page and work your way slowly onto more advanced books.
    I'd say you'll be hard pressed to find someone to teach you that stuff.

Edit: I assume you're learning about elliptic curve cryptography, right?

Hi Freman

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it is for elliptic curve cryptography.

I've actually ordered a load of books on this stuff, but I guess it's more the background information I'm interested in. For example, I'm guessing these books assume I know the basics of geometry and calculus, but being honest I can't remember that stuff at all (although I do remember it wasn't difficult.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You studying this in DCU no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Hmm, reading over the wikipedia page, I think abstract algebra will be more helpful than calculus.
    I would expect you'll need to learn some group theory, and at least get a basic understanding of field theory in order to understand the subject matter.

Just remember to take it slowly. When you're reading maths it's very easy just to burn on ahead even though you don't understand something, then find out you're completely lost a little later.

• Advertisement

I'd suggest Number Theory -> Groups -> Rings -> Fields as the best way to break yourself in. And as Fremen already said, the abstract algebra. I've some good notes on most of that stuff that would be accesible for most.

Thanks for the great replies everyone.

LeixlipRed: I would love those notes! Thanks. Will I PM you my e-mail address?

I'm not in DCU. Doing an MSc at night and looking into this area (for possible research and also as something to learn.)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Hi there,:)

Are you in college at the moment?
    It might be worth asking your lecturers or someone in the maths department in the college(if there is one) if they provide student with help with maths.

I've been to 2 colleges and both provided help with maths usually one to one. Topic was up to the student. Hours can be limited though but worth a shot.

Best of luck.:D

I only have the notes on paper. They're in booklets like but not sure what the easiest way to get them to you would be

Hello

I'm still looking for some maths grinds if anyone is interested. It's mostly for fairly beginner stuff, such as explaining polynomial time, some of the weird symbols, that kind of thing.

Please PM me if interested! Dublin city centre.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lorenzo7777

Hi,

I am an italian PhD student at DIT and I have several years experience teaching maths.
    If you are interested text me (0851580505) or send me an email ( [email protected]).

Lorenzo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marcos00

Hello, I'm Spanish graduate in Physics and I'm willing to give some grinds lessons. I give it free as an exchange for practising English during the lesson with you. I' ll ask only for luas or bus ticket if I have to take it to travel to your home.now I'm completely available so I can spend as many hours as you want.Contact me if you are interested. We can try and if you don't like it just send me off. 0879214700 [email protected]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭techguy

Seeing as this is a request i'll post here too..(if it's okay...)

Ok, I'm studying maths for computing purposes..

I URGENTLY need a grind in Vector Algebra and information retrieval..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I urgently (this week) need a crash grind in maths, my exam is on Friday and I just need someone who I can meet with to sort out some last minute problems I'm still having with the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Goldstar

Help wanted with Abstract Algebra based in Limerick . If u can offer some PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jingletree

Goldstar, what area exactly in abstract algebra are you looking for help in? I have a degree in Mathematical Science and Computing from UL so i might be able to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi There,

Exam cominup on the 20th. Need some help going over some things.

Cash Waiting..

PM if you are willing or want some more info..

Thanks..

P.S. I wish to get started ASAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 o applepie o

my friend and i currently looking for applied maths grindsI was just wondering does anyone know anybody who does applied maths grinds...(in west cork area is the best or somewhere near cork city)

we are thinking to start doing it during the summer..

pm me please if anyone is available

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Subject(s): Grinds available in most Maths subjects (Secondary and Third Level)

Contact Name: Michael

Email: [email protected]

I've given a good few grinds in the past to both secondary and 3rd Level students.

I also give grinds for 3rd level subjects in Physics, Engineering & Electrical / Electronic Engineering. PM or e-mail me for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 united stars

Am third Level first year student looking for Maths Grinds in Dundalk or surrounding areas .Has anyone got any ideas. I have my own car and am willing to travel. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Hi All,

Looking for maths grinds to cover
    Algebra
    Statistics
    Probability

Kildare - Clane area if possible,
    Thanks

siochain, where are you studying? If you're in NUIM PM me and I should be able to arrange help for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 soar

Based in Cabra, I have a BSc. in Applied Physics and am available to give maths grinds to ordinary and higher level leaving cert students. Cost is €25/hr per person. Lessons will be carried out in groups of two. First lesson free. Please PM me if interested.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Grinds available in all areas of LC
    email: [email protected]
    Name: Dane Holland
    Base: Dundrum area/ could meet in library alternatively
    Price: 30e/hr

I have all textbooks so if you mail me with your problem areas each week before grind I'll look over before. Acheived A1 in LC (H), studying Actuarial Mathematics in DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 lady82

Just wondering if theres anyone in the Ballinamore/Mohill area of Leitrim giving Maths grinds for leaving cert???

Advertisement