Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,189 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, not what I said. You are stooping to fibs now.

My rationale extends to your parents who 'identify' as British.
    That is the only way someone can assume what you are as a new born baby

• Registered Users Posts: 11,493 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am disappointed francie, that you are so defeated on this point that you have resorted to telling blatant lies. I quoted you work perfect – copy and paste, and you tell me I am telling fibs and that is not what you said.
    here is the post. I don’t really care but you may want to correct it for the benefit of other posters – or how would they believe a word you say in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

Jaysus this is like the Godfather, I want out but you pull me back in :D

What on earth makes you think my understanding of this islands history comes from a place of insecurity?

Sometimes you use your mind and discuss what I'm sure are uncomfortable topics maturely, and other times its back to Ulster says no and slinging arrows, but I do of course see you getting goaded.

I get p*ssed of when I read the ill-informed comments from posters with the sole intention of slinging mud and scoring points, but I like to see the interesting and challenging posts that are backed up with something concrete as I have spent way too much effort trying to do.

I am a POLITICAL republican in that I believe a peaceful transition to a UI is the best for this island, but I try not to buy into the bullshit. I have these opinions for years, formed from a v different starting place as that never added up for me.

And btw you do live in Ireland within the UK, just as your people did, Ireland was here long before ROI called itself Ireland, before Christianity and it's sects, and before the British were here, it is the constant.

Although your part of it is under British administration, it didn't become Britain a hundred years ago, geographically, which is our island neighbor across the Irish sea, yours and mine.

English Scottish and Welsh are geographically British, and of Britain, their island, just as we are of Ireland. It shouldn't diminish your political Britishness, or your nationality, one iota imo and is absolutely compatible with Unionism. But call yourself whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭suvigirl

This thread gets weirder. No one identifies as a nationality. Nationality is governed by legislation is it not?

No one is automatically Irish if they are born in Ireland, It depends on the nationality of their parents.

I find it really strange that republicans try to force northern Irish people into accepting they are 'Irish ' when we dont try to force any other nationalities to do so. In fact, we voted to take the right away from them.

you are misunderstanding the point.
    You don’t decide what you are, geography does.
    You were born in Ireland.
    Another scenario for you. If you and I tell someone from outside Ireland where we were born they will see us as Irish.
    You will have to tell them you identify as British. I don’t have to say anything.
    David Trimble spoke or wrote about that. Look it up.

• Advertisement

Nobody born in Ireland is automatically Irish.

I apologise for the comments about your insecurity (don’t know your motive for needing me to be Irish). I guess I am frustrated and don’t know how to get through to you.
    you are at it again, referring to my ‘political Britishness’, what the hell is that?

I am British. Why would you call it political Britishness. I have lived in the uk for my entire life. Bar the first 16 years of my fathers life in Donegal, all my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc, etc, etc have lived in the uk. 100% of my extended family are British and want to remain British. The country/region/whatever, NI that I live in, wants to be good neighbours to Ireland but wants to remain in the uk.
    Why oh why, does someone who seems fairly reasonable, keep telling me the evolution to being first and foremost northern Irish is not enough, I have to become Irish. It’s mad! Republicans need to stop this.

wishful thinking. I think you’ll find many people are more educated than you think.
    This is absolutely nuts. You couldn’t make it up.
    I have travelled a lot, and I have never ever told anyone anyone I identify as British. I would be more likely to tell them I identify as a two-spirit penguin.
    Do you think when I pass through customs that I have to tell anyone what I am?
    do you have any idea how many people in the world over think that Ireland is part of the UK? It might shock you. So maybe it is you who would have some explaining to do.

so now can we assume that you are going to accept everything David Trimble says as reasonable? Or just the stuff you like?

it’s a great question and I would be really interested in some of the people who have been doing the forcing to explain why it is important to them

I think you are now tying yourself in knots even further tbh.

Trimble was talking about a reality downcow - people outside the country see us all as ‘the Irish’. Your masters even reffered to their troubles here as ‘the Irish question’.

• Advertisement

referring to my ‘political Britishness’, what the hell is that?

...as opposed to geographic Britishness, which I alluded to in my post. You are not geographically in Great Britian, you are politically in Britain. You are geographically in Ireland.

Back to saying I am trying to take your nationality again??

Post edited by Miniegg on

It's a strange aul way to discuss something, to argue with me about things I not only didn't say, but said the total opposite of.

But if you can square it all in your head, I guess we will go on with our lives with the same opinions we had before. I don't need you to be anything, see yourself however you want.

it would help me understand if you would tell me why you keep saying that I am Irish simply because I was born on a land mass called Ireland, but you don’t see the need to call Catalans - Spanish or Canadians and Mexicans - Americans.
    I have also avoided raising the Middle East as it is so sensitive, but your argument means that you would have to tell a Palestinian that they are born Isrealie . Can you not see how both ridiculous and offensive this is?

I can see we are not really getting anywhere. But I would appeal to you to examine a few of the situations I have mentioned, and consider whether you really are being logical

As far as I can see it you have two arguments for me being Irish:

1) I am born on a land called Ireland (consider Canada, Mexico, Colombia, etc)

2) I am born in an area that used to be ruled by Ireland (consider Palestine, Lithuania, Ukraine, etc)

Your two arguments are so volatile and offensive to many peoples all over the world, why would I not find them equally offensive?

I do not believe you are being intentionally offensive, but I do believe you are so bloody minded that you cannot see the hand in front of your face

Taking all your arguments into consideration, and my above post.

To argue that I am Irish because I was born on a land mass called Ireland – then you absolutely must tell all Mexicans that they are Americans

To Argue that I am Irish because the area I live was formally part of the jurisdiction of Ireland and had been for millennia - then you must tell all Palestinians that they are Israeli.

I think we have to leave this argument here. Clearly you believe either or both of the above statements and also that I am Irish. So let’s leave it there and agree to differ.

Anyhow, I do not think that you are making an argument that, for the above reasons, the mass of Ireland should be united under one jurisdiction – or indeed any of the other areas mentioned above

I'll say it again.

'Northern Ireland'
    The only 'place' (you are from a place) mentioned here ^ is Ireland. 'North' is a direction.

The UK/Britain is a union of places - but somebody from it's component places is Scottish, Welsh, English or Irish etc

They can all identify as British as well or not, as the case may be.

I have explained your comparison around the world, but it is a waste of tims. I will focus on the merits of what we are talking about for the last time.

Ireland is an island, made up currently of two jurisdictions. It is still, to this day the same geographic entity it always was, Ireland. That has never changed.

Many people have come here, stone age people, Celts, vikings, Normans, Anglo, and lowland Scots. All of these people became Irish by virtue of them being of Ireland. This has never been disputed at any point throughout history.

When Ireland was united under Britain, the people of Ireland made up the Irish part of the union of English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh. Your people were all Irish within the Union.

Part of Ireland broke away from this Union, but Northern Ireland has remained consistent, you have said this yourself in many posts. If you were Irish before, and have remained consistent, I fail to see how the actions of others took your Irishness from you. You say NI evolved into what it is - that is incorrect, the south of Ireland evolved into ROI. You were the same before as after.

My view is consistent with the founders of Unionism, and some of its most ardent proponents, Craig, Carson, Paisley, etc, even Donaldson. It is patently absurd to deny Irishness (geographically, NOT nationally). I am no more bigoted thinking it that they were.

That is fine if you don't think it. You keep saying I need you to be something, I absolutely don't. But you need to many recognize there are those in Unionism that do, and I agree with them. There are many in excl Republicanism that dispute it, I disagree with them.

Why are posters still arguing anyone born in the island of Ireland are Irish? When it is completely clear that they are not?

'Clear' to you maybe.
    My view is that anyone born here is Irish and can identify as anything they want.
    As said and shown, some Unionists have only turned their noses up to this idea in recent times.

Coupled with their expressed hate of anything Irish - cultural aspects, the language, native sports etc. it seems to come from a deep well of hate and insecurity.
    It's as if it dilutes who they are.

It doesn't really, no more than it dilutes the British identity of a Scottish or Welsh person.

It is clearly the law. No one is automatically Irish if born in the island of Ireland. We even voted to make sure of that in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,463 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Complete nonsense still going on.

We live on one of the islands in an archipelago known as the British Isles, that means we are all British. That is @Miniegg logic based on the geographic reality. Any other secondary identity such as Manx, Scottish, Irish or English must bow down to the overarching British identity. That is where the nonsense takes us.

You cannot force identity or nationality on anyone. People born on this island are either British or Irish according to the GFA. I believe that is not insufficient, given the rise of the Northern Irish identity and will need to be enhanced but that is for another day.

• Advertisement

Nobody is 'forcing' anyone.

People have opinions. You just don't like those opinions. Like downcow, there is some kind of insecurity at play, a weird one in your case.
    There was no crisis of security when these guys were coming up with a name.

in the law books. Do you not remember the referendum taking away automatic rights of those born in Ireland to be Irish? It was a big one!

Is a baby born of two Nigerian parents, automatically Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,342 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, if at least one of the parents was legally resident in Ireland.

Your earlier claim . . .

. . . is not really correct. Almost everyone born on the island of Ireland is either automatically an Irish citizen, or automatically entitled to Irish citizenship. Only a very small fraction of people born in Ireland do not fall into one of these two categories.

That is a law governing 'citizenship'. Your last sentence SHOULD READ: Is a baby born of two Nigerian parents, automatically an Irish citizen?

You are entitled to claim Irish citizenship if any one of the following applies:

1. You were born in Ireland or Northern Ireland before 1 January 2005

2. You were born in Ireland or Northern Ireland after 31 December 2004 and any of the following applies to you:

One (or both) of your parents was Irish or entitled to be an Irish citizen or a British citizen at the time of your birth

One (or both) of your parents was an Irish or British citizen and died before you were born

One (or both) of your parents was entitled to live in Ireland or Northern Ireland without any restriction on their period of residency

One (or both) of your parents was legally resident on the island of Ireland for 3 out of the 4 years immediately before your birth (this does not include residence on a student visa, or residence while awaiting an international protection decision or residence under a declaration of subsidiary protection)

Automatically entitled is not automatically Irish though. If someone's parents are Nigerian, or Chinese or whatever, they may be entitled to citizenship at some point but they are not automatically Irish.

I don't understand why people are forcing those in northern Ireland to 'admit to being irish' just because they were born in the island. I don't see anybody trying to force other nationalities to be Irish just because they were born in the island.

Incorrect. Maybe some have, but I have never forced idendity on anyone, why are you still banging that drum?

I respect all borders and nationalities, I respect all political territories. Ireland is absolutely a part of the British isles, if you recognize that term, but is not a part of Britain. England Scotland and Wales are in Britian. That has nothing to do with idendity, that is just geography. We are all in Europe, even after UK left the EU.

Northern Ireland is in Ireland, and is part of the UK. People from there are as British as anyone from England Scotland and Wales, if they so wish.

I just see them as geographically Irish, i.e of Ireland. They have been here for hundreds of years, longer than mine have for all I know. They made up the Irish part of the Union of English, Scottish and Welsh.

I respect 100% that they are not politically or ideologically aligned with ROI, that would be patently ridiculous. ROI or republicanism does not own or dictate Irishness in a geographical sense, nor should in any other sense either, nor does tribalism. I believe Carson was an Irish patriot, just like Pearce etc. Me agreeing with him or not is irrelevant. He believed that himself.

Ian Paisley said he was Irish, he wasn't saying he loved playing hurling and going to mass. He was saying he was of this island. More Unionists than him have said it and felt it. Excl Republicans say they aren't Irish. I agree with Paisley etc 100% and believe they are prejudiced to deny it to them.

If a UI happens, I hope Unionists won't feel displaced and leave. This is their home as much as it is mine. I am patently not being discriminatory in any way and reject many of the prejudices of exclusionary republicanism.

I have explained my position and given the reasons why. People in all sides will disagree, but I hope it's done on the merits of what I have said, and not on things that I have 100% never said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Francis McM

People can come from the island of Ireland but if they are born in the UK, have a UK social security / tax number (whatever the UK equivalent of our PPS number is ) and live in the UK all their life, then they are at least part British (shorth for United Kingdomer), whither they like it or not. Even McGuinness, he may have identified as Irish but he was never from the country of Ireland. Martin McGuinness never lived in the country of Ireland, or had an Irish PPS number or paid tax here or got social security here etc. If we look up definitions of country, you will find
    "a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory." (Oxford dictionary)

"an area of land that is controlled by its own government nation" (Britannica)

"a political state or nation or its territory" (merriam-webster)

"A country is a nation, a body of land with one government." (vocabulary.com)

He could always identify as Irish, but according to the definition of a country he never lived in Ireland, was not born here and had not a PPS number or anything here.

He could always identify as Irish, but according to the definition of a country he never lived in Ireland,

There have been some ridiculous comments made here and I think that one wins.

Please research the difference between a political entity and the name of where you live, where we all, on this thread, live.

You'll find it is in/on Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,342 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The whole point of the GFA is that someone from NI can identify as Irish, or British, or both, or neither as they choose. I think it's a rejection of that principle to assert that someone is British, or Irish, "whether they like it or not". I think if you say that someone has a choice about something, the corollary is that you have to accept the choice they make.

Thus Downcow is not Irish if he doesn't think he's Irish. If he didn't think he was British, then he wouldn't be British.

But we can, I think, say that Downcow "is from Ireland" (if, as I assume, he was born here). We can equally say that he is from the UK. Being from Ireland doesn't make him automatically Irish; in accordance with the principle enshrined in the GFA, he would have to choose to be Irish. But, equally, being from the UK wouldn't automatically make him British; he would have to choose to be British.

NI is unusual but, internationally, it's not unique. There are other places that are home to two (or more) distinct communities — e.g., if you're from Belgium you can be a Fleming or a Walloon. But I think NI might be unique in affirming that someone can simply choose for themselves which identity to affirm. In Belgium, you're a Fleming or a Walloon depending on the langugae and wider culture that is part of your cultural inheritance.

Advertisement