Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

why do you think the opposition is so strong? The road is really wide and everyone on it has a massive driveway IIRC - albeit they love to leave their cars on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All of the other stops that are being installed are being built to a standard that allows up to three buses to serve the stop at one time - there isn't the space at the two locations for that length of bus stop - they will only have space for one bus at a time.

Hence the plan for them to be served by the 130 (and in due course the BusConnects route 10).

Now you could probably add the planned routes 8 and 58 to that in due course to give a reasonable frequency overall, while not overloading the two stops in terms of buses waiting to serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

for the stop go last night on north strand road they had a massive trench dug in the middle of the road. must be doing something with pipes, looked nearly 2 meters deep. and still on social media they're all going nuts that this is about a cycle lane.

Deep into the bridge tonight. This stretch seems to be the trickiest part. Lads will be out all night I'd say. At this stage I'm pretty obsessed with these roadworks!

https://streamable.com/2ogw54

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just after your video stopped you would have gone over the weird 'ramps' sprayed on the cycle lane. What do you think that is for? They must be going to dig it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What happens now at stops if there is a convoy of buses, is as one moves off, the next moves up. There is no reason whatsoever they could not do the same to let the person stuck on the 15, H1,H3 or whatever, get off at what was stop 617 or the one across the road (the 'special 130 stops'), instead of ferrying them 300 plus yards up the road. It wouldn't delay anyone.

It's a daft decision, like the original decision to replace the bus stop with parking spaces - same body making these decisions? NTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Passing by the Westwood gym on the cycle lane I noticed that the Queuing cars were waiting patiently on the road for their turn to go into the carpark, maybe they've all been told?

(I won't mention the wobbly cyclist coming against the direction of travel though..)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Disco24

Big help is the fact now cars can't cross from ooutbound lane. Hopefully this stays.

Buses queuing up and serving stops one by one does actually cause additional journey time to be added. Multiply that all along a route and it adds up.

The whole point of the core bus corridors is to try to improve the flow of bus movement - hence the larger bus stops that multiple buses can serve at the same time.

I think that if you have the three routes that I mentioned stopping there then it will be a good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Witnessed a downside to this earlier. BMW X5 driving inbound crossed over just before the railway bridge, then drove the wrong was down the road, to turn up Charlemont Lane. Hit a cyclist along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

But unless the buses leave the bus lane they will always be behind the one in front, so it would make no difference surely?

One cross city bus, ideally the 24 hour 15 would be good. The 15 and 27 would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Disco24

What a tool.

Also saw car outbound going wrong way up bus lane at howth rd jnct to get to westwood.

The chances of getting ticket for road offence in Dublin is so low ppl take risks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They will leave the bus lane to overtake the stopped bus, they do that all over the city every day!

The stop I normally use is an example of that, it serves multiple routes, if one bus is stopped at the stop, unless someone specifically waves it down or rings the bell to get off, the other buses on the corridor will go around it. Buses leap frog one another all along the route into town. Saves a lot of time.

Buses overtake one another all day long and this wouldn’t be any different.

You also have to look at this in the context of the revised network of routes, not the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Given how this whole debacle evolved, it is a huge win for the community of North Strand to have the stops reinstated (still no sign of it actually happening, mind you).

Certainly, my argument on this from the very start was that, you cannot deprive the most vulnerable in a community of a nearby bus stop. Realistically, the adjacent stops are fully reachable for every fit and able person, and if one doesn't want to walk the extra stretch, the real time planner will be ideal.

Thankfully North Strand will maintain a bus service, it just won't be a 'turn up and go' service like it previously was. They should replicate this all across the city on quieter stops. On balance everyone receives a higher quality service which is faster and easier to keep on time. All that without depriving any community of access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lol this guy was here 45 mins ago too, impressive

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm saving this picture for the next time someone says "why do cycle lanes need bollards/curbs?". Not even big walls stop these assholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"Why do cyclists not use Cycle-Lanes"…

• Advertisement

it was obviously elderly/disabled/medical emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A well aimed metal pedal scraped all along the side of that car wouldn't go amiss. Sorry mate, struggled to squeeze by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Jesus that's a bad one lol

Seems like a lot of idiots out today!

On the Griffith Avenue cycle lane a lad in a big SVU parked right in the cycle lane. The worst part is that there was plenty of space for him to park 1 meter to the right, like all the other parked cars!

A little further up a lady stepped right into the bike lane without even looking, her car illegally parked in the bus stop in front of the church. I've seen this lady park in the bus stop a few times. A handy parking spot for her! Obviously feck you if you were a wheelchair user who needed to get on or off the bus!

A reminder that the primary goal of this cycle lane was to create a safe cycle lane for children to cycle to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If only there was parking enforcement or gardai in the area

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Saw on twitter earlier that there's been a 24% increase in the numbers using the inbound route, which is great considering that it's still in bits in places.

Also saw this on twitter from a councillor, Irish Water seem to be responsible for the delays, with requests for new water mains connections that weren't in the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Some" is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that update. It's already way behind so I doubt a few extra mains connections are responsible for the overall glacial pace of the project.

When it gets back to the normal level of cyclists using it I expect to see a lot more people cycle in the bus lane. It's just too narrow to overtake in the bike lane and if you get stuck behind a plodder then the only option is out on to the road.

Overall it's been a very poorly designed, managed, and implemented project. I'd like to think lessons will be learned from it but I doubt it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just have a look down one of the holes and see what’s involved. As Clontarf resident John Teeling, is always saying, ‘you have no idea what’s down there until you start digging’.

Because there’s very little communication from the engineers, the design and management of this project does seem bad. They should finish off sections before starting new ones. There might be a reason for this but they’re just not telling us.

• Advertisement

From my own chats with one of the foremen, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

An awful lot of the utilities were not located where the plans said they would be (similar to the LUAS works on Harcourt Street back in the day). That will always cause serious problems.

That being said, once the utility works are completed, the rest tends to follow reasonably quickly - the works between Talbot Street and the Five Lamps for example have progressed rapidly in the last few weeks.

Advertisement