Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, that's a bad one too. I think Poplar Row is worse though as the cars are speeding through the junction straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not at all. Just agreeing with the very last part of your post, and pointing out why it is certainly not 'overkill' to have lollipop people near schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Starting to come together nicely in sections of the outgoing part along Fairview. Although I have no idea how they plan to finish all the work required by June. My best guess is September at the earliest before it's fully complete.

The inbound section along the park is nice, so nice in fact that many walkers like to use the bike lane even though theirs a lovely new path for them inside the park that runs parallel to it for them to us.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah there has been some progress, but also still some massive trenches dug up around where the road splits to ballybough that i can't see being covered any time soon, still so much to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Drive you bonkers.

What is it with a***holes in this country.

Pedestrians walking on cycle lanes with footpaths nearby.. Cyclists cycling on footpaths with cycle lanes nearby.

Drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Motorists driving on footpaths with roads nearby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I'm not forgiving that for a second, but the volume of cars at that school (and pretty much every school in Dublin) is absolutely ridiculous at drop off and collection times. Walking by you'll often hear parents complaining about the traffic, when they are the traffic. The difference on the roads this and last week is stark. If more parents would walk/cycle their kids to school the volume of traffic would be much safer around the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭loco_scolo

Cars driving in bus lanes with car lanes nearby ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At the moment that junction still should have no cars coming up Ossory Road turning left, but as you say, no enforcement. In rush hour, the first car through (if a left turner) will often be unable to complete the turn which makes the second one get stuck in the narrow gap at the top of Ossory Road. All it takes is a gom behind and they cannot reverse back down the hill and so start jamming everything up, but all caused by the illegal left turner.

Old lady almost caused an accident on the dodgy corner, with two bikes in either direction. Pointed out that she was on the cycle path, and where the footpath was, but she was having none of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, not only is that fence dangerous to cyclists, it traps any pedestrian that makes a mistake from moving onto the right path. It's so bizarre that they didn't move it back further.

That guy actually climbed over the fence to walk in the cycle lane.
    And the woman refused to walk on the pedestrian path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not surprised at all, sure there's no paint on the tarmac saying it's a cycle lane, though even if there were it would probably be ignored..

Those two in the pics would be the first to call "Joe Duffy" complaining about "lawless cyclists!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on the other hand, if you remove the fence you'll have people wandering across the cycle path to get into the park. Some people are just idiots, as the cycle path gets busier hopefully they'll learn not to walk on it. I really think though they should standardise on red tarmac to show the distinction.

Yeah, it’s needs to be a different colour. There are some pretty stupid people out there alright.
    But then people make mistakes too. I often stop when I see an older person, and ask if they’re aware it’s a cycle lane, and it could be dangerous. Just be friendly and helpful to them. That will probably be me someday. 😂

Dodder path is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kincora2017

that looks great.
    I personally think they only need to move a very small section of the Fairview Park railing. Where it goes around the tree beside the overpass is genuinely dangerous. Other than that it’s needed to keep those roaming pedestrians in check

DCC engineer said that part is fine. I think there's an unwillingness to accept any kind of design flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

My experience as a motorcyclist and dealing with DCC or Fingal engineers is to make sure they know "you're putting them on notice" of the danger / design flaw. I find that potholes get filled in very quickly when I tell them I put my contacts with them on social media, they know that they're liable if they do nothing after a notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I found myself on the cycle lane the other day after crossing the road just from not paying attention. Am a somewhat moany cyclist myself but there is no easy way off it if you've taken any steps before you realise and it is right off the traffic lights. Was late enough and no bike traffic so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anyone who's walked around a Dutch city and stepped into the cycle path would be sure not to make that mistake again..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's silly that the fence can't just have small pedestrian gaps in it every so often.

Phoenix Park used to be the same, the cycle lane was right beside where people would park on Chesterfield Avenue, with only 1 gap in the railing in a 1km stretch.

So pedestrians would frequently get out of their cars, and would have to walk along the cycle lane because they had no way of getting to the walking path.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You see the same happening on Griffith Avenue, but with the grass verge! Folks park their car outside the cycle lane, but then walk a distance in the cycle lane as they don't want to walk on the muddy grass to get to the footpath on a wet day like today.

Of course all of that could have been simply avoided if they had built a two way cycle lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Funny enough - it could be as simple a thing as having brown tarmac (or cycle path surface) instead of black - i think that in itself would make people more reluctant to walk on it - it makes it obvious- this is not a foot[path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Isnt it the case that the cycle lane surfaces aren't fully finished yet? The NTA has pretty much stipulated that any new projects involving cycle lanes are required to have red surfacing on the cycle lanes (with some exemptions). Does this project fall under that criteria? Iirc some projects already in the pipeline were able to bypass that requirement.

DCC engineer mentioned a different colour at conflict points. But it really should all be a totally different colour to the footpath and road to differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

LoLocal Authorities generally don't like having cycle lanes in a different colour tarmac because it can be quite difficult to do patching or repairs. The coloured tarmac isn't readily available and not worth ordering in small quantities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well someone should have told DCC so when they were doing the Griffith Avenue cycle lane!

It alternates between two different colours constantly, yellow and red. I think red is supposed to be for junctions, but there are so many junctions and on street parking it ends up mostly just red, which makes the small area of yellow look silly!

BTW I'm not saying they shouldn't have coloured it, it was definitely needed on Griffith Avenue to try and keep the cars out given that quiet a lot of it has no actual curb or separation from the road!

Advertisement