Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How long are people waiting to complete the turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭bren2001

I have not gone out with stopwatch. I’m not sure it would be relevant either, they’re sitting in traffic.

Do you honestly believe those people are breaking the law? Is that your honest interpretation of events?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FFS, I didn't say that them blocking traffic was breaking the law - I asked if that law remained in force.
    Is this where I now demand a retraction from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭bren2001

We can both play this game, I never said you claimed it was breaking the law. I asked if that was your honest opinion. Nothing more.

You’re perfectly entitled to demand what you want. Be a long time waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Give it a break, please.

For someone not living in that part of the city, can someone tell me how much of the cycle lane work is completed and open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Disco24

Close to 50% open. Inbound is 99% open but junctions and some surface not complete. Outbound 95% not yet open.

Fairview was never nicest place but the new public realm looks like it will be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

None of the outbound section and bits and pieces of the inbound section. Almost every junction inward/outbound needs to be completed and it's a mess around any of the bridges. The section along Fairview Park inbound is quite nice actually but even this needs some work at the traffic light sections. All in all, I'd say considering it's coming up on two and half years it fairly brutal going.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Just spoke to a Roads Policing Member. He has prosecuted several Gym Members for "Obstructing the flow of traffic" there. He really can't get over the fact that they're ignorant to the fact that by blocking the lane they're stopping emergency services getting through. So it is an offence, there just are not enough Gardai to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That’s interesting, I imagine the tickets they handed out will be challenged in court, I know I would in their shoes. By that logic the stop/go they have there regularly is an offence as it blocks that very same section with traffic. Unless they’ve painted a yellow box along that section I’m not sure what they expect people to do. In fact, if you take a walk there this morning you will see that lane blocked due to traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

If people queued in the driving (right) lane between 07:00 and 19:00 instead of the bus lane that is in operation between those times be considered ok? If it was me, that's what I would do during those hours. Sure, I'm holding up traffic in that lane but it's the correct procedure as per the rules of the road.

Would signage to instruct drivers to do as such be in any way helpful?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's not possible to say the Local Authority has the same liability as a motorist, in the circumstances, because the Road Traffic Acts provide for Local Authorities to put in place temporary traffic management plans when they are doing public works.

A motorist in Court could certainly plead with the Judge that they were doing their best in the circumstances, and on any given day a Judge could come down whatever way they feel like.

I cycle and drive past Westwood daily, and I've gone in there a fair few times over the years. Entry to that car park has always caused problems for other road users and pedestrians at peak times, especially when kids swimming classes were on at rush hour in the evenings. Lately, with the road works, it's definitely tipped over into being quite hazardous. The pace through the junction, being slow, is also encouraging a lot of breaking of the red lights, so it's not great all round.

I'm baffled why people try to queue for several minutes for the main car park when entry to the overflow car park is usually much, much quicker, and it's safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭tomfoolery60

The North Quays is a shambles, Eastbound cyclists are supposed to de-materialise several times en route to the Point. BusConnects plans for the area will improve it if I understand them correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sigh. Will prob mean more bollards and concrete blocks and the likes at entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Those huge concrete slabs are a horrendous 'solution '. There's one at the entrance to the park at the Malahide Road junction which is so awkwardly placed it makes it difficult to access by bike.

Another huge design flaw I've noticed is the section between Fairview Park and Alfie Byrne Road. There is plenty of space here for a 2 way section of cycle track. Nobody in their right mind will leave Fairview Park, cross the road, cycle towards Clontarf then cross back again to access the seafront cycle track.

I've already seen several militant cyclists and pedestrians blocking and abusing cyclists for slowly cycling contra flow between the park and Alfie Byrne.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remember the bus stops that were removed from North Strand have to be put back too and this will impact the cycle lanes on both sides. Considering the pace they work at, I would be amazed if both stops were finished for a June date.

One stop has to be put back close to Strandville Avenue, where they swapped a bus stop for car parking spaces and the other is to go under the bridge close to Nottingham Street, where they said there was not room, but apparently there is now.

On a fun note, Ossory Road will be closed this weekend.

yeah when i come out of westwood i go to the alfie byrne road to get home via the bike bath, going the wrong way. i just get out of the way if anyone's coming towards me but yes i'm not going to cross the road twice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yep it is a major and obvious design flaw.

And it is stupid as there should be plenty of space there for a two way track or a shared track.

Designers and planners really need to consider desire paths in their designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Don't mention that section! Been discussed extensively just a few pages back. 😂

at the rate they're going i can't see it finished in 2024 tbh. they've been trying to lay a bit of cycle track from east point to down the east wall road a bit now for months too. it's just astonishing how long something so simple like that can take.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

4 Years on Griffith Avenue for a "quick build cycle path" which isn't much more then some paint and a bit of concrete curb! 🙄

It just shows how many people have a problem with this section and the fact that it really is a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Walked past the new car parkling spaces a few minutes ago. There are two markings for 'Ramp' and a couple of the yield markings sprayed on the cycle lane so it looks like that bit will be dug up again. Not quite sure what ramps in the middle of a cycle lane are for - to slow people down? Who knows with this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They had certain criteria for the bus stops that they didn't want to stray from, hence why those locations weren't suitable.

Now they have somewhat changed their tack after all the backlash recieved and will add those stops back in, but not to the same design/standard as the other stops (hence why only the 130 is planned to use these stops)

Makes no sense having only one bus route stop there. That will presumably be reversed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The Brookwood Avenue to link Beaumont/Coolock/Artane to C2C cycle path is still in design phase, which will take a considerable time more according to correspondence I've seen from a local councillor.

Classic public sector approach really, take years to get any work done.

i'm from brookwood originally and i can't see how that will get built. brookwood ave folks will be going nuts. don't know how they'll manage it on vernon ave either.

it's funny because everyone says the griffith avenue one is empty all the time, and it probably is for the most part, but i use it to get to work in the mornings now and it's actually quite busy with kids going to school and people going to work at 0830 when i'm there. brookwood ave would probably be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

They actually laid the kerb dividers to separate bikes from car and got them wrong. So they had to dig them up and start again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Agree with you there. The pace is glacial and some sections seem to be going backwards.

• Advertisement

I can assure you only idiots say that. Despite being a poor attempt at a cycle lane, it is well used now, I've previously posted pics of large numbers of users on this cycle path.

Advertisement