Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Excellent post. It also bugs me that the only people who know what the count is are thevreturn bunch. Sure they are never going to say the numbers are dropping as it would be an endorsement of the ridiculousness of this money grabbing circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m one of those ‘hippy types’ but I can assure You I WONT be voting green. Driving around Dublin today seeing Cuffe’s smug posters everywhere made me nauseous.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As often as I see water bottles… actually definitely less so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

…As often as I see orange juice ones of same size… or non dairy drinks like Califia oat milk. Yet they are in scope of the scheme.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think that's an example of illegal dumping rather than littering.

I have seen the odd milk carton in litter but never a soya/oat milk carton.

Also hardly ever a "breakfast" orange juice container.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ossian Smyth got a lot of the flak and the death threats, because he is the Chairman of the Committee, and only his contribution (small part thereof) was reported in the media. But anyone looking to others in the political system for comfort in their oppostion to this scheme will not find many. Just look at the composition of the Committee. Only the fringe who want to do an Irexit. Unlike MUP which was opposed by other member states, this scheme is part of an EU wide target. The Committee in their most recent meeting discussed other items such as the move to reduce food waste. And in the Re-Turn discussion, they did cover the needs of blind people and those using wheelchairs, which is of importance to this thread. And the source of the machines, with no mention of the corruption alleged here. The good or bad news is that there is Version 2 of the scheme lined up for us. Very much a work in progress.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_environment_and_climate_action/2024-04-30/

Deputy Ossian Smyth: I substantially agree with the Deputy. Reuse is better than recycling. If we can persuade people to refill plastic bottles with water, that is better than persuading them to bring back the bottles in the first place. For example, the sports clubs, GAA clubs and football clubs informed me that they could have reverse vending machines. They could,
    but even better than that would be that they encourage children to refill their bottles every day
    when they are at the club rather than bringing a pallet-full of plastic bottles individually for each
    person. The answer to these environmental problems does not involve a single bullet. We are
    doing deposit return machines. I am also sponsoring water fountains all around the country as well.

Deputy Paul Murphy: The deposit return scheme we opted gone for is in contrast to the
    one in Germany, for example, where there are two Pfand systems. There is a higher Pfand system and a lower Pfand system. The higher one involves reusable bottles going back into the machine. They are not shredded, turned back into bottles and used again; they are refilled. Our system is purely one of shred bottles and then use a whole bunch of energy to turn them back into bottles. Are we locking in the use of single-use plastics?

Deputy Ossian Smyth: No. Germany had an existing reusable bottle scheme before it
    introduced its deposit return scheme. They wanted to make sure the deposit return scheme
    did not displace reusable containers, which are obviously better, so they set the up incentives
    in such a way that people would be better off reusing than engaging in a single use. However,
    people have the option of doing one or the other. The German authorities operate both schemes
    in parallel. I would like to see more reuse and more refilling going on in Ireland, and we will do everything we can to move towards that.

Deputy Paul Murphy: If the Minister of State wants to see more reuse, why do we not
    have, even at a minimum level, a two-tier deposit return system whereby we have reusable
    bottles accepted that are reused that are not shredded and turned into different bottles? If that is
    what the Minister of State says he wants to do, why has he not done it?

Deputy Ossian Smyth: One thing at a time. There were many options for what I could put
    into the first version of the deposit return scheme. I could have done glass. I could have opted
    for Tetra Pak products, etc. I had a million different options, but I wanted a working scheme to
    launch on the day when it was meant to. I look at other countries that took more than a decade
    and then did not manage to launch schemes at all. Everything is available for version 2. For example, we could do charity donations where people can opt to give their money to charity rather than take it back. We can do different products. We could do reusable products. Those are all options for version 2. I will be pushing my
    officials to work on what they will launch in the next version. There will be changes happening
    this year, even in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah theyve f*cked up so badly we're now seeing the kind of discussion that should have happened during the "consultation" period. Smells like sales are down hitting the big producers pockets and Ossian and the lads been told to sort it sharpish. May as well make it sound like they're fixing Re-Turn out of the goodness of their hearts while theyre at it.

no mention of the corruption

🤣 Ah thats grand then so. Deary me.

• Advertisement

@dxhound5000 "Only the fringe who want to do an Irexit."

Yeah, when you haven't a leg to stand on in your argument, there's always whataboutery.

So we should put up with a shambles of a scheme because of waves imaginary bogeyman Irexit? Completely illogical desperation stuff.

What absolute nonsense. Can't defend the scheme on its own merits so have to resort to this.

The shambles of a rollout happened under Ossian Smyth's watch. He has zero excuse for not getting it right first time with regard to wheelchairs, with regard to the huge size exemption we have here versus other countries, with regard to the councils abandoning all responsibility. He has been shown to be incompetent in his brief, engaged in virtue signalling tick the boxes, rolling out a half baked scheme that is not ready, and treating the ordinary public with contempt.

As the lad said himself: One Thing At A Time.

So you've moved on from your desperate whataboutery about Irexit? You're just flinging irrelevent arguments out in the hope something sticks.

A nonsense slogan, desperate guff to try to conceal his own failings. No excuse for chucking out a half baked scheme in a shambolic rollout.

That's no excuse for a half baked scheme that needs public participation. He is poisoning the well.

If you are going to do a thing, do it properly. It is clear he just sees it as a box ticking exercise, doesn't care or is unable to visualise how the public will interact with the scheme.

The public have been treated by contempt by his incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What do you mean? "One thing at a time"

We've been told this scheme has worked all across Europe, we've had an alleged "public consultation", we've had plans in place for at least two years now, we've had god knows how much spent on consultants we've had apologists on here standing up for the scheme in its current format but who are now making more apologies and excuses.

And all the while the Irish public chose not to engage with the scheme in large enough numbers, while those behind the scheme claim commercial sensitivities around releasing full metrics of this scheme designed to count things.

One thing at a time me hole.

Are you watching the video, or reading the PDF? I still working my way through the PDF, and I thought I should share the plan they have for Version 2.

Come back to us when you're not just dumping without scrutiny Green Party propaganda from an incompetent politician trying to paper over his own failings.

Plan? You'd call that a plan? That's a high level overview. Planning isn't something these guys do - there's plenty evidence for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If RVMs were a recent invention then its understandable you would need a version 2, to iron out the bugs, but they've been around for about 20 years. We should be long past the ironing out bugs stage.

He may have had Scotland in mind when he said that he wanted to start the scheme at the planned date. Instead of what happened in other countries, which keep delaying the process. Sometimes the pursuit of perfection is the enemy of action. Now that millions of returns are being done every day, people will be more attuned to future additions if they happen. And it might even prompt some effort in homes to cut out the scandalous waste of food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deposit_return_scheme_%28Scotland%29

There were millions more returns happen before this scheme came in.

Your attitude to the scandalous waste of taxpayers money, the scandalous merits of this specific scheme and the continued hands off approach by the arms of the state to waste collection and management (similar to trends in other areas it has to be said) leaves a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement

It will increase the rate like happened in Lithuania.

Lithuania implemented container deposit legislation for single-use cans and bottles in February 2016. Lithuania's program is comprehensive and charges a deposit on nearly all types of beverage containers, including those made of plastic, metal, and glass 0.1 l to 3 l. The deposit is applicable to beer and beer cocktails; cider and other fermented beverages; mixed alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages; all types of water; juice and nectars (sold in glass, plastic, and metal packaging); and fruit wines and wine-product cocktails sold in plastic and metal packaging. Milk, wine, and spirits are exempt. The deposit is the same for all containers and is €0.10 per bottle/can, and most collection is done using reverse vending machines.

Lithuania's deposit return system is operated by Užstato Sistemos Administratorius (USAD). Container return rates for plastic bottles were 34% before the deposit scheme, 74.3% at end of 2016, 91.9% at end of 2017, and 93% in 2018

Are you just chat gpt'ing these responses?

Did Lithuania have a recycle bin available to almost all domestic premises in the country prior to the scheme? Did they scheme release numbers or cite commercial sensitivities?

It's stuff I have read before, and when it becomes relevant to the discussion, I sometimes remember it. But I don't know the answer to your questions.

He "may have" - are you his spokesperson? Why do you have to go to bat for him with threadbare guesswork \ expressions of aspirations instead of coherent arguments based on facts? At one point you were trying to bring Irexit in, absolute desperation stuff.

How many times have we seen half baked flawed schemes rolled out just so a politician can meet an arbitrary deadline for a photo shoot?

Better to delay the process such that it is done properly, then preside over the shambolic rollout here, with deposits being charged in unredeemable items, on dodgy machines, on wheelchair inaccessible machines. With no thought given to people in areas not served by RVMS or those who use home delivery. Zero joined up thinking.

And no, those are not 'perfection', that's absolute strawman nonsense. They had ample time to get this right.

It would be have been better to rollout wheelchair accessible machines, a proper scheme instead of a rush job.

And only someone who will default automatically defend the scheme, with ever weaker arguments and whataboutery, would argue otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭nachouser

Average gross wage is 25k. Would you expect them to be more inclined to get all those 10c taxes back?

I don't know that one either. But just in case people think I am looking up stuff to put into the argument, I referenced Lithuania many pages ago. Because it was mentioned in a report from Singapore which is having some teething problems with their new scheme. And before that I had looked it up, when another poster pointed it out as an example for Ireland to aspire to. It looks good, but as can be seen from the figures, it was done by gradual progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

Was doing some shopping in Dunnes in Kilnamanagh earlier and walking back to the car there were 2 empty 500ml bottles just left on the ground in the car park, not 30 meters from a working machine and even closer to bins. Both had the logo on them.

The argument that this scheme will encourage people not to litter holds no water imo, if someone was going to throw rubbish on the ground they'll continue to do it. These are the people that don't even notice that there is a deposit now.

Well then it has absolutely no bearing on our own scheme, situation or frameworks.

Then dont keep asking me questions. Look up the answers yourself, and use them against me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's an interesting point.

Perhaps the deposit being 10 cent is enough to encourage people on lower wages to collect it.

I suppose someone somewhere is doing a study to find out the correct rate of deposit based on an average wage.

Unfortunately for us it might lead to an increase in the deposit here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement