Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You know you don't have to go back especially to the shop to return bottles.

You clearly bought them somewhere as part of your shopping so you return them as part of your shopping.

I really don't get the complaints about the scheme.

Yes, you can recycle at home but there's no way to differentiate who recycles and who doesn't at point of sale.

It is a change of habits, but you can adapt quickly and since introduction I've returned items about 20 times and only once in the first week had I difficulty with machines not working.

Things to be improved: Money should be returned to your bank card rather than using a voucher.

Wheelchair accessibility: Machines very high and out of reach which proves point of disabled people being an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

People who "don't get" the complaints about the scheme - well that's a reflection of their only limited experience. Your mileage may vary, or the level of inconvenience the scheme causes may vary.

Remember it needs to get to 90%. It isn't going to get to that if it just suits people who drive and so their main shopping in a big supermarket with RVMs.

Cases in point:

You could have bought them online and that's where you do your main shopping. Your local shops are exempt. What do you do then?

I go to the shops on foot or bike or bus. I don't know if the machine is working. I get to the shop, it is out of order. Sometimes it is out of order for hours at a time. What do I do with my empties now? I was planning on bringing home the new shopping in those bags. As suggested on the thread, there should be a realtime list of machines by status.

Or, someone who does their shopping in a place which does not have a return point. The size of the exemptions means there are many places with no return point in walking distance, or in the village where they do their shopping. What do they do?

The size exemption should be reduced to its original proposed limit of 150 square metres OR councils should be providing RVMs in locations not served by an RVM and issuing a voucher redeemable in any store selling Re-turn items.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The would either throw them in the general bin, have someone collect them for them, or due to there generally being a lot less glass in their shopping that PET or Aluminium they'd probably drop them to a bring centre whenever the opportunity aroise/was required.

All in all, not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mine collects glass 4 times a year.

I would like to see glass included in our scheme, and maybe that is in the planning

Why?

Our glass recycling rates are exceeding our targets.

Why would you want to shove a big fat expensive inconvenient mess on top of that and annoy the fúck out of everyone further, when there is absolutely no need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

So bring them back when you’re going shopping. I generally jump off the bus on the way home from work to grab something for dinner that evening/week.

So I’d have to bring my cans/bottle in the morning onto the bus, then onto the train, the onto the minibus that collects me from the train station, keep them beside me in the office, then back on the minibus, back on the train, back on the bus and hopefully the RVM is working. Now the cans/bottles were told aren’t hygienic enough for shops to do manual returns, but you want me to bring them into my office with me??

No thanks. Black bin for everything is working out fine for me. Don’t light the fire with this heat, but there’s plenty there for when it’s warmer and the fire pit is being used in the evening.

• Advertisement

I really don't get the complaints about the scheme.

That is because you have based your whole opinion on the scheme by your own limited experience, personal circumstances and routines.

Not everyone is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭jj880

They may be poor but theyre not stupid! Theyve weighed up the Re-Turn Olympics versus robbing a can. No contest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Greyhound do domestic yellow bins for glass. There's an extra charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I can see how the numbers were so low in February, and will keep on increasing now. At the start I deliberately avoided Re-Turn purchases when out of scope equivalents were available. They were going to be bought by someone else anyway. One is still on sale in Aldi. 2.39 million on Tuesday (07 May) does not demonstrate that the public are viewing it as a scam and doing a boycott. Any calculation about the 5 million a day purchases has to recognise that many of them were out of scope.

"Re-turn said the number of drinks containers being processed is increasing steadily and reached 2.39 million on Tuesday, compared with two million items processed for the entire month of February, the first month of the scheme's operation." (RTE 09 May).

Okay, pin your colours to the mast.

At what date do you think Return will publish figures that give some level of detail on the trend of the scheme - and stop using the "Commercially Sensitive" spiel?

At what date do you anticipate we'll hit the ninety percent target?

If we don't hit the target within 12 months (from June 24) would you deem the scheme a failure? If not, what is an acceptable figure after 12 months and how much longer should the scheme take to get to ninety percent.

• Advertisement

I have no idea. But just by coincidence I had a conversation over coffee this morning. Completely by chance one of the people mentioned Circle K. I told them the funny story about the poster here who was annoyed about the 15 cent. And further to that it turned out that two local householders had not done any returns yet. The third is from the North. There is no need for anyone to panic about numbers this early on. Millions of returns will happen every day, and people have to wait to consume what is in the containers. 2029 is the EU target we are working towards, so let's wait and see.

Even if we got it up a few percent, every little helps. Deposit schemes are the way to achieve that. Most of the compliant will continue, apart from the high minded who need to make a protest. I have not seen much of it myself, in my rare trips to bottle banks, but Co Councils have notices about not dumping at these facilities. They can be full, and less likely to get cleared on Sundays and Bank Holidays.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/532896/kildare-people-warned-not-to-dump-empty-bottles-and-cans-at-recycling-sites.html

Whats with all the irrelevant fluff?

There were literally millions of returns happening before this convoluted scheme ever came near the country - but apparantly we couldn't count them accurately enough and it wasn't being done by enough people so we needed this counting collection scheme.

Theres feck all point implementing a scheme that is meant to measure something, then not have any targets/expectations/goals/ or indeed to release any actual real figures.

How long do we "wait and see"?

I really really hop that the people on the board of return have higher. more measurable aims and targets and a better attitude towards them than some displayed here.

Its crazy that you sit at the keyboard defending this scheme but cannot put any facts around why and if you might change outstandpoint outside of "sure 2029 is five years away" lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But it is Comercially sensitive.

If they publish it they will look stupid and they are very sensitive about that sort of thing.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Most of the compliant will continue

So some won't.

Brilliant scheme their chief, make people less compliant.

You should send a CV into Re-Turn, that's the type of joined up thinking they require.

You want to increase glass recycling, make more bring centres available, add it as an option or second compartment on recycle bins or do any one of ten cheaper and easier things that adding them to a scheme such as this.

You aren't even going to put any metrics on what you are looking for as a result, in the same way that you aren't looking to put numbers or targets on the existing scheme. Just some pie in the sky verbals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just seen a notification as a number of machines had been reported as faulty in rejecting items with logos and changed to another make of machine as with so many customer complaints.

There’s risk in everything we do. C’est La Vie.

I always used my green bin until this nonsense came in. Now I’ve to revert to ways of making my money back from this nonsense tax. People will do what they gotta do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's illegal and unhealthy for you, anyone else in the house and your neighbours.

Just don't do it.

Getting drunk is illegal. Cycling past a red light is illegal. Going over the speed limit is illegal.

I’ll take my chances. This is my last post on it as it’s off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ok, I've made my point.

Just one more thing.....

Getting drunk isn't illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Sent SIL to return machine with 63 cans/bottles that were stinking up utility room, first 2 machines out of order at Lidl, he drove to Tesco,62 containers accepted and cash redeemed at checkout, total was 9 euro odd.

He had to drive approx 5km in traffic and time wasted was c.45 mins.No good for man or the environment.

The electorate need to remember this fiasco of a bottle TAX when the green party knock at your doors looking for your vote, tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine and remember they are not the harmless hippy types we think they are, dont give them any vote transfers or they may sneak in again.Keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm waiting to see if they call. Local council elections are the only time we ever get callers.

62 x €0.15 = €9.30, so you had no big ones. I noticed something odd while out walking and cycling on the roads. By far the most common dumped containers are the little 250 ml Red Bull and Boost cans. Both of these describe themselves as Energy Drinks. I wouldn't let any of them into my house to stink out the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

SIL said he had some Latvian beer cans of 600ml which had a 25 cent deposit.No boost in this house or any energy drinks, stink comes from the beer cans even though we drink every last drop😀, might have to wash before storing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Drog79

The bill for plastic/ bottle tax whatever should be borne by the retailer, if they need to raise every bottle 1cent so be it.

However 15 or 25 cent and most people not able to return, it's a consumer tax.

And now, the farce that state agencies are also paying a commercial tax

https://www.96fm.ie/news/96fm-news-and-sport/hse-could-lose-over-a-million-euro-a-year-due-to-deposit-return-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Shan Doras

How often do you see Milk containers discarded at the side of the road/the playground/The Beach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

the machine we have in work is driving me mental, we're luckily not a hugely popular shop for it, but i'd say ever second users, i have to be called to fix the machine. which basically is me opening & taking out the can, turning on & off the machine etc. think ours is similar to dealz which i've seen other critic here.

also have to say, while i wouldn't shame anyone for doing what they can for the extra bit of money. have seen quite a few homeless folks come in with a bag of can/bottles clearly rooted out from rubbish bins. then the same hands being used to press the buttons. not very hygienic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement