Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You are the one providing random stories out of context. Id expect you to be able answer basic questions to further back up your point. Otherwise it's just verbals.

The deposit is going to go up anyway when the scheme isnt reaching near its targets.

Id argue if they wanted to reduce the amount of plastic used they should increase in general the taxes on items under this scheme . That would surely put pressure on producers to change how they package these items and disencentivise people from using them in the first instance. No need a convoluted scheme.

In fairness fifteen or twenty five cents isn't much to a teenager when you see the kind of money they or their parents spend on clothes or tech for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The current rates are high for me personally.

I hate waste and could probably be best described as thrifty.

A few posters here seem happy to forgo the deposit.

As for plastic in general I'm not convinced that consumers want to reduce their use.

Many seem to enjoy the convenience of just picking up a bottle on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I'm not entirely convinced that dxhound is not a ChatGPT instance that has found sentience and has decided it is going to be a contrary fecker.

The only way you will reduce use is to disencentise the current practices and put some other options in place. In fairness the issues we face with plastics will require a complete shift in behaviour from suppliers and consumers, some half assed return scheme isn't going to be the answer of the amount of plastics use continues to increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

This has nothing to do with reducing plastic usage.

I vape. Yes I know! The demon vaping. Totally unregulated! Actually that is bollix because it is highly regulated. I buy small bottles of vape juice. A bottle last me 1.5-3 days I buy about 15 of these small 10ml bottles per month. In the interest of reducing plastic waste, would it not make more sense that I could buy 1 150ml bottle?? No, one of the regulations in place is that it can not be sold in large bottles. I dont know the thinking behind that particular regulation, but from a reducing plastic point of view it makes zero sense.

Of course the deposit is going to go up. The initial 15 cent plastic bag levy didn't work, so they upped the levy to about 70 cent. Now, nobody buys plastic bags.If they do the same, add a ridiculous deposit figure, people will stop buying coca cola and monster. Coca Cola Inc might have a few things to say about that. Such as zero contributions to your political party. Maybe contributions to any opposing partty who promises to reverse the whole sordid affair?

Reducing plastic use is a nobel endeavour. It should be supported I get really annoyed seeing plastic in needless uses.

Thinking outside the box, as we have seen with the whole tent debacle is not something this government is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

About as frequently as I see 1 litre cordial bottles discarded at the side of the road/the playground/the beach - why do I have to pay a deposit on a cordial bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was in Blanchardstown SC this afternoon & saw a stand directly in front of the cinema entrance promoting this bottle recycling charade. If it’s going as well as they say it is, why do they hey have to incur extra cost to promote their (my opinion ) lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they wanted to reduce plastic use they could have put the deposit on plastic use... not cans. People shift to buying cans of coke instead.

But nope they had to include cans to make the numbers add up for funding the scheme...

It is not about reducing plastic use.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭bog master

They put the deposit on cans because they are much more valuable than PET bottles. The cans provide the quango with the wages!

• Advertisement

answer me this: Why the hell Do we pay to have a green bin lifted?
    this charade is nothing more than another disguised green initiative tax. The sooner they are wiped out - THE BETTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I used it there first time few days ago. Jayus you wouldn't want to be in a hurry with it.

The cans going down in slow motion, a novelty for the first few. But a lot of people are not going to be arsed, but I think that is half the plan hoping people wouldn't bother.

There was one can that returned back, it turned out it was an old can without the "R". And where did I fire the can? In the bin beside the machine one less can recycled in the world.

To be honest I think all this chat about the environment is codology. I mean rich governments can buy carbon offsets. The likes of the fashion industry like to pretend that they are conscious of the environment because it is trendy. But the reality is their whole industry is based on getting new things that you do not need.

To be honest the whole recycling can in the machine thing wound me up. I just feel like it is just another cod in the great "environmentalist" game. How much carbon did those machines cost to produce? How many extra trips will people have to make to the recycling machine that they otherwise would not have? How many cans/bottles won't get recycled because they were rejected?

A proper study needs to be done on this, I think.

It reminds me of the way the banks have gone, do all their work for them and pay for the privilege. It just makes me think "f**k the Greens" to be honest. The old system was grand as it was you put your cans/bottles in the Green bin to be taken away. But now we have this idiocy.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

There are anomalies in the DRS and the vaping situation may be one.

As for the plastic bag levy it was an almost overnight success.

The 15 cent levy changed consumer behaviour because people saw that it made sense not to pay for bags.

It's not 70 cent now it's 22 cent so it only went up 7 cent in 22 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭TokTik

A minimum wage job gets you €25,756 a year. Would you pay much tax on a minimum wage job??

It’s at least €1 now, because shops don’t use the old bags anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭nachouser

I was making the point that a 10c tax on a much larger range of in-scope products than we currently have here, in an economy on a much lower gross wage than we currently have here, would probably mean people would be more inclined to return in-scope products. shrugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not much point in doing that when the scheme has bigger issues... lack of return points, RVMs out of order etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jj880

Its not their money and theres zero accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't mind playing the game. Me and another lad got a good few pages out of him pretending that I was serious in a spoof I posted, and me feigning innocence pretending that I don't know what he is on about. I knew you were spoofing when you posted this about your lost 15 cents: "But where does this madness end?" Just the right subtle level of faux indignation. If you had invoked RTE or Hitler, it would have been too obvious.

are You calling me a liar? I’m not spoofing about the episode in the CircleK. I object strongly to your accusation

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Was visiting an applegreen earlier. Few bottles and cans in the boot of the car. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get rid of them rather than make an extra journey but they'd their machine shuttered. What a great system

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭REDBULL68

Went to lidl today with a mixed bag ,started great then the Guinness cans I put in kept being rejected, usually they take them on the 2nd-3rd attempt but no ,looked at the cans and there is no bar code at all, nothing, nada ,zilch, must be a problem in the factory.

Sorry, wasn’t having a go or trying a gotcha, I was genuinely interested/curious

Edit: I see someone else gave the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,012 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Without a doubt there's a lot of "codology" going on from certain quarters. But there are also a lot of people who are serious about trying to combat environmental damage to our planet, and that's a good thing. I agree with Christopher Hitchens on the matter…"We don't have another planet on which to run the experiment".

In saying that, this particular scam is just another exercise in putting the public's money into private hands. It won't help our environment to any particular degree, but it will make a lot of money for somebody. The insincere and disingenuous will blow smoke up everyone's arse blabbing on about how great this nonsense is, but they know themselves that it's a load of baloney.

The Green Party in this country are a bunch of performative cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…its shows us how fcuked our political systems are in tackling this critical problem, they keep creating micky mouse methods that just manages to p1ss everyone off, and doesnt actually really do much about the problem itself…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive recycled 3 bottles so far , that's the only ones we've had since the scheme started, all three worked .

im probably the retailers nightmare

Advertisement