Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In UK and Ireland Netflix have rights for everything though. Not just RAW. WWE will be gone completely from TNT Sports, including PPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

From wwe.com

Beginning in January 2025, Netflix will be the exclusive new home of Raw in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Latin America, among other territories, with additional countries and regions to be added over time. Likewise, as part of the agreement, Netflix will also become the home for all WWE shows and specials outside the U.S. as available, inclusive of Raw and WWE’s other weekly shows – SmackDown and NXT – as well as the company’s Premium Live Events, including WrestleMania, SummerSlam and Royal Rumble. WWE’s award-winning documentaries, original series and forthcoming projects will also be available on Netflix internationally beginning in 2025

One presumes Netflix will have everything here as we are bundled in with the UK for TV deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Surprised that they're not taking the Leeds game at 3pm instead tomorrow, considering there's a decent fan base in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TonyK45

Premier Sport had already announced 3 of the 4 picks for Feb before you posted this. The final pick they were waiting, on either Liverpool or Man U - which is now decided. To clarify Premier Sport have 32 Saturday picks, plus a final round game on Sunday, and the games shared with Amazon.

TNT have 32 Saturday picks, plus the other two rounds of mid-week picks (Feb & Apr). Because TNT haved decided to front-load the Jan picks - with the two mid-week rounds - they have now used up their entire allocation of picks - bar one: See Below

Total picks are those up to 4th March - remaining games are from 9th March onwards.

Premier Sports Premier league games in March

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

FA Cup heading back to TNT from 25-26, four year deal and rights to all games from the third round on outside of the 3pm window. That will probably limit Premier’s involvement to 3pm’s from then on.

There will still be a UK FTA partner, but that’s not been announced yet.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2024/feb/15/emirates-fa-cup-television-deal-announced-20240215

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This tweet gives us an interesting nugget of information in how TNT got the FA Cup rights.

It implies that when TNT Sports bought both packages for the new four year FA Cup rights deal.

The FTA broadcaster now has to sub-let a portion of them from TNT Sports.

Even the English FA sent out this earlier is say that The FA Cup is "their crown jewel" as to opposed to staying with the general opinion that crown jewel events are live events specifically being shown for everyone on FTA TV in the UK. I think it smacks of desperation for the FA to say something like that when this competition is now a supposed crown jewel event which is going to be shared with both a pay TV and free to air broadcaster under the same agreement.

Of course, only the final is actually a “crown jewel” in the sense that term (which is totally unofficial) is widely used, that is an event which has been included in a list drawn up by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media, and Sport pursuant to section 97(1) of the Broadcasting Act 1996 (UK), which must be made available to free to air broadcasters. It works virtually identically to our s162 Broadcasting Act 2009. The FA is conflating things a bit with that statement about it being a “crown jewel”, but I understand why they did it, given the FA Cup has been somewhat unique in English club football in having a totally free to air broadcast deal for the last few years, and now it’s going back to pay tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The bulk of those games will be on Discovery+ one presumes so that's us missing out again.

I wouldn’t presume that at all, but even if it did, by January 2026 I’d expect the integration of Eurosport and TNT Sport to have happened (they are apparently waiting till after the Paris Olympics are over) and I also expect the Sports Extra deal to have been renegotiated to allow WBD to retail the enlarged TNT offering directly here.

• Advertisement

Usual Daily Mail related caveats apply to this one, but they’re reporting TNT about to capture rights to the Autumn Nations Series through to 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

16/03 is now Luton v Notts Forest due to the Man Utd game being postponed due to The FA Cup

That means Luton are on PS three weeks in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I thought TNT did this already with red button and Discovery app?

They have been doing more games than previous recently alright but I think there’s at least one game a week still exclusive to PRTV.

I do have a problem with them using Discovery+ though, because it means ROI viewers don’t get that content. Now on one level there’s usually no shortage of rugby on tv any given league weekend between URC, PRL, Top 14, and Sanzaar but it’s the principle of the thing - once they’ve gone down the road of Discovery+ for one thing they can do it for others.

Premier Sports acquisition of its former UK business from Viaplay completes Thursday with the channels reverting to Premier Sports branding from next Tuesday.

https://www.viaplaygroup.com/news/news-releases/viaplay-group-completes-sale-uk-business-2217740

April's Premier League Matches on Premier Sports: Saturday 3pm

6th - Aston Villa v Brentford

13th - Man City v Luton

20th - Luton v Brentford

27th - Man Utd v Burnley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

my Viaplay sub on my sky box is allowing me view ps RoI in other channels - currently showing separate content on the tv listings.

The reverse is also true, and was the case all the way through the period Viaplay UK existed (handy for ice hockey and NASCAR fans).

• Advertisement

Premier Sports pick up the Copa America.

https://advanced-television.com/2024/04/24/premier-sports-scores-2024-copa-america-rights/

The matches are pretty late at night mind, 11pm being the earliest kick offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Acosta

And if its the same as previous tournaments, the knockout stages kick offs will be 1am at the earliest.

Yes, I think that’s true also.

I don’t think it always has been in the past though, ISTR Copa Americas a decade or so ago that the games were earlier. This one’s in the US (it’s a joint one between Conmebol and Concacaf) and some of the games will be played in the ET zone which is only 5 hours behind us, so these games or some of them will be 6pm-8pm KOs local. Suits TV over there I guess.

May's Premier League Matches on Premier Sports: Saturday 3pm

4th - Burnley v Newcastle

11th - Spurs v Burnley

Sunday 19th 4pm - TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 1 N1rvana1

Do we know if the Premier Sports UK and Ireland channels will merge? Im a Now TV subscriber in Ireland and it would nice to get the live NHL and NASCAR back again as well as the upcoming IIHF World Championships which I presume will only be shown on the UK channel.

we don’t know. It’s more difficult than before, Viaplay had bought a whole pile of UK only rights before they even bought the UK operations of Premier Sports while Premier Ireland have picked up rights like the Champions League (from August), Wimbledon, and schools rugby which means it’s more difficult to put things back the way they were when the 3pms and GAA were the only differences.

Brighton v Man Utd is Premier Sports last FAPL fixture of the season (Sun 4pm). I do often wonder about the value of the final day pick, as it’s fifth choice with four other games on TV at the same time, but the United fandom will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Acosta

With United having such a big fan base in Ireland, I think it probably worked out well for PS on this occasion

Indeed.

Next year will probably be the last time they get to have a final day pick as all final day games will be on Sky from 2026 on.

• Advertisement

Looking at the Premier Sport Ireland website, there are no listings for Premier 2 beyond May 26. However, in Radio times for example - it has both Premier Sport 2 UK and Ireland in sync. Not the case for Premier Sport 1 however.

Interesting on the Premier Sport UK site it lists the live games, but not which channel they will be on!

Advertisement